Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Birmingham post match views 2016

Comments

• Anyone else think the pitch was a bit bumpy? Are we cost cutting on its upkeep?
  • edited April 2016
    Pope - quiet game
    Motta - some decent stuff going forwar, good strength but plenty of ropey passing
    Teixeira - decent first half followed by really shaky period after halftime
    Fanni - quietly effective and a few good crunching tackles
    Fox - not quite his worst but first half was poxy
    Berg Gudmundsson - didn't try a leg, one deflected potshot his sole contribution, loathsome sponger
    Cousins - all action and effort "one of our own..."
    Diarra - good on him playing with a broken foot, shielded back 4 effectively, tired after an hour
    Suk-Young - provided neither attacking threat or defensive cover, very poor
    Harriott - probably ran further than everyone else put together but utterly hopeless, lost possession within milliseconds every time he touched the ball, hysterical "assist" for jbg's potshot fell over and sat on ball - should have been subbed after no more than 10 minutes
    Vetokele - stronger and miles more effective than Reza or Mak, took some rought treatment from frustrated blues, tired and probably injured for last 20 minutes - should have been replaced
    Lookman - made a difference despite being played out of position, pace and enthusiasm enough to trouble brum defenders Showed the despicable icelander how to take a corner

Jackson - did he touch the ball?
    Makienok - definitely didn't touch the ball

Riga - WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU UP TO? We essentially took on Birmingham with 9.5 players from the kickoff.
    1) it was clear from ten minutes in that Calamity Harriet was having the kind of day only he can have and was going to be a liability throughout
    2) we were completely overrun down our left Fox and Yun simply bypassed by brum but you did nothing to address it til halftime
    3) halftime and you play left footed winger Calamity out of position through the middle and right footed striker Ademola out of position down the left of midfield
    AL through the middle with his guile and pace would have given even the very decent Michael Morrison a thoroughly torrid 45 minutes
    Lucky for you that a deflected shot and a badly defended corner got you out of the shit. Come on, own up you're right in on Roly Douchebag's real scheme and winning football matches just doesn't feature does it?
  • Callum had an awful game. Funny that our first goal was the fortuitous result of him spannering up his first touch and losing the ball in JBG's direction. Lookman *has* to start on Tuesday.

Also thought that Igor looked miles off being fit, especially in the first half. As others in the game gradually decelerated through tiredness, it enabled him to grow into the action and he looked very good for parts of the second half.
  • edited April 2016

I think Riga did well starting the second half with Lookman, but you could see Birmingham were there for the taking and Big Mak should have come on 10 minutes earlier at least. Ok we got the points in the end, but he has to be braver - starting from Ipswich on Tuesday - every game -no matter who is it against is a must win game - we have to be posing a threat and creating chances from the start. If we are nil nil at half time but not creating, we will lose it at some point - Riga has to roll the dice a bit more! We still almost certainly won't make it, but you have to try to win every game. The quality of the side is such that it can compete now with the better teams.

Agreed, he was slow to bring Mak on. From the sounds of things Harriot was having one of his huff and puff but not a whole lot of end product games. That's alright, he still did brilliantly to set up the goal, and given his form of late, and his overall workrate, he can have these sort of matches and still remain first choice or thereabouts.

That said, when you have a team pinned back, Mak's ability in the air can be a real boost when crossing from wide positions.

I've got a lot of time for Riga, I think he's a good coach who inherited a terrible situation and is working on turning things around. But his substitutions are often made 10 minutes too late, and in general I often feel like he doesn't feel comfortable changing shape or tactics during a match. That said, for the first time that I can remember, he made a tactical change at halftime to improve us going forward. I hope this is a sign of things to come, and that he will be willing to make changes early and often when/as needed.

Sanogaols and Igor up front for me tomorrow. Both have some physical strength, but they also have a bit of pace that could cause problems for a very physical but not particularly quick Ipswich backline. That said, the only thing I might change it for is if Mak has been showing something in training. I would hope he's chomping at the bit to have another go at that Ipswich backline after what happened in November. Could be a really good second half sub if he comes on hungry and ready to prove a point.

If I were Riga I'd be tempted to go 3-5-2 given that Ipswich play with three out-and-out forwards (Murphy, Pitman, Sears). I'd probably bring in Lennon, move Fox to wingback (not his best position but he provides good defensive cover there), and keep Motta on the other side to provide some width and attacking presence (can't imagine Solly is 90 minutes fit just yet). Hopefully Diarra can play twice in four days, have him and Jordan in midfield, with JBG floating behind the strikers.

That said, I don't expect Riga to do that, I expect he'll name much the same team as he did against Birmingham.
  • edited April 2016
    What happened to Bauer? Thought the news was he'd be at least in the squad on Saturday? If he can play then a 3-5-2 with him, Fanni and Tex, with Motta and Young (I'd pick him over Fox) as wingbacks could be pretty good.
  • I thought the bench on Saturday was as strong as it has been for quite a while. If you slot Sanogo in, there is a definite issue on who drops out!
  • can someone verify the Gudmundsson deflection I've seen it loads and am certain it was going to that same spot from the moment it was struck.
  • What happened to Bauer? Thought the news was he'd be at least in the squad on Saturday? If he can play then a 3-5-2 with him, Fanni and Tex, with Motta and Young (I'd pick him over Fox) as wingbacks could be pretty good.

Playing for the under 21 team today
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought the bench on Saturday was as strong as it has been for quite a while. If you slot Sanogo in, there is a definite issue on who drops out!

Was thinking the exact same thing when I was proposing my team for tomorrow. Dropping Harriott would be a bit harsh, especially give his pace running at Chambers/Berra/Smith could cause real problems. I could see him being up front with Sanogo if Igor can't play twice in three days. Last time they played together was Brentford I believe, and that seemed to work quite well.

My biggest concern is that given Ipswich play 4-3-3 if we play 4-4-2 I really worry about us being overrun in midfield. For as much depth as we're starting to build, I don't really see us having a third central midfielder who can slot in and do a job right now. Poyet has been underwhelming and it seems Riga just doesn't rate him this time around. Ba is far too raw and inconsistent. And I think you need to have one of Diarra or Jackson in midfield, but not both as both are questionable to last 90 minutes.

@ateamofcorygibbs he's playing for the U21s tonight. After 3+ months out I can't imagine he's ready for 90 minutes. Riga seemed to insinuate he might be ready for the bench, but doesn't quite seem to be. Not surprising coming back from so long out.
  • Dazzler21 said:

can someone verify the Gudmundsson deflection I've seen it loads and am certain it was going to that same spot from the moment it was struck.

I thought it took a deflection off a blue's defender, I was in the lower west on Saturday ( normally upper north) so almost behind it, when he hit it, it was more a case of up / down deflection as opposed to to left/right.
  • Cheers, from the highlights i couldn't tell.
  • I think JBG will effectively be playing as an attacking midfielder tomorrow.
  • 1) Bloody nob'eads not giving the ball back with 10 minutes to go.

2) Lookman must start. If Reza gets fit again and replaces him, I'll get diabetes with rage.

3) Why did Riga take off JBG?!?

Bang on. And the fella that held on to the ball in the first half and took an age to give it back. I understand why but don't lower yourself to their level of childishness.
  • SDAddick said:

I think Riga did well starting the second half with Lookman, but you could see Birmingham were there for the taking and Big Mak should have come on 10 minutes earlier at least. Ok we got the points in the end, but he has to be braver - starting from Ipswich on Tuesday - every game -no matter who is it against is a must win game - we have to be posing a threat and creating chances from the start. If we are nil nil at half time but not creating, we will lose it at some point - Riga has to roll the dice a bit more! We still almost certainly won't make it, but you have to try to win every game. The quality of the side is such that it can compete now with the better teams.

Agreed, he was slow to bring Mak on. From the sounds of things Harriot was having one of his huff and puff but not a whole lot of end product games. That's alright, he still did brilliantly to set up the goal, and given his form of late, and his overall workrate, he can have these sort of matches and still remain first choice or thereabouts.

That said, when you have a team pinned back, Mak's ability in the air can be a real boost when crossing from wide positions.

I've got a lot of time for Riga, I think he's a good coach who inherited a terrible situation and is working on turning things around. But his substitutions are often made 10 minutes too late, and in general I often feel like he doesn't feel comfortable changing shape or tactics during a match. That said, for the first time that I can remember, he made a tactical change at halftime to improve us going forward. I hope this is a sign of things to come, and that he will be willing to make changes early and often when/as needed.

Sanogaols and Igor up front for me tomorrow. Both have some physical strength, but they also have a bit of pace that could cause problems for a very physical but not particularly quick Ipswich backline. That said, the only thing I might change it for is if Mak has been showing something in training. I would hope he's chomping at the bit to have another go at that Ipswich backline after what happened in November. Could be a really good second half sub if he comes on hungry and ready to prove a point.

If I were Riga I'd be tempted to go 3-5-2 given that Ipswich play with three out-and-out forwards (Murphy, Pitman, Sears). I'd probably bring in Lennon, move Fox to wingback (not his best position but he provides good defensive cover there), and keep Motta on the other side to provide some width and attacking presence (can't imagine Solly is 90 minutes fit just yet). Hopefully Diarra can play twice in four days, have him and Jordan in midfield, with JBG floating behind the strikers.

That said, I don't expect Riga to do that, I expect he'll name much the same team as he did against Birmingham.
    Calamity did brilliantly to set up the goal? From the replay, it looks like the Brum defender toe-pokes the ball to JBG so Calamity's input is to fall over and confuse the defender. Hope he's not officially down for an assist for that!
  • SDAddick said:

Calamity did brilliantly to set up the goal? From the replay, it looks like the Brum defender toe-pokes the ball to JBG so Calamity's input is to fall over and confuse the defender. Hope he's not officially down for an assist for that!
    Tbf to Harriott he did well not to lose the ball immediately after he fell over - it was bang in front of us so I think I saw it pretty well - he fought hard to shield the ball and keep the opposition from taking it off him and what he did was just enough to aid the outcome, i.e the goal. Not really an assist, though, imho.
  • LenGlover said:

Does anyone believe that ANY of the players will still be here next season. Maybe Harriot, Lennon and Pope - but I wouldn't even bet on them being around.

Harriott is out of contract so will walk.

The other two you mention will still be under contract I believe.
    Agree, but even those under contract may well be looking for an exit, especially if the contract only has a short time to run. They've been through a tough season on and off the pitch and can't imagine many of them would turn down a move. Nor that the current owners would reject a chance for some cash, especially when there are plenty of third-rate imports to fill the gaps.
  • I for one am very excited to find out what we throw on the pitch next.

Tennis Balls - Perfect balance of propulsion & size, already done by Dortmund - 1/2
    Table Tennis Balls - Affordable, but lack flight due to the fact that their weight - 3/1
    Footballs - Difficult to smuggle into a stadium, although if they were the same as the match ball enough of them could cause serious disruption - 8/1
    Golf Balls - Small, easy to conceal, bloody dangerous - 15/1
    Snooker ball - Similar to golf balls, but with the added bonus that Jim Davidson could provider commentary - 15/1
    Shuttlecocks - Difficult to throw with any real vigour, but there has to be something in a Cock/Duchatelet reference - 20/1
    Rugby Balls - Another object that's hard to bring into the ground, with little relation to the regime - 25/1
    Cricket ball - Dangerous, especially in the hands of Ben Stokes who has a habit of missing his target - 40/1
    Bowling Balls - Steady now - 100/1
  • Sponsored links:

• Cannot believe the stick Harriott is getting. He more than anyone is responsible for the recent pick up in form. Since he came back into the team we have started creating chances and scoring goals. Even when he has a poor game, as he did on Saturday, his determination and fighting spirit directly led to a goal. The lad has done fantastically and he's not even a centre forward!

He's had less stick than I expected. Had Makienok or Reza played like Harriott did they'd be getting far worse.
  • mogodon said:

LenGlover said:

Does anyone believe that ANY of the players will still be here next season. Maybe Harriot, Lennon and Pope - but I wouldn't even bet on them being around.

Harriott is out of contract so will walk.

The other two you mention will still be under contract I believe.
    Agree, but even those under contract may well be looking for an exit, especially if the contract only has a short time to run. They've been through a tough season on and off the pitch and can't imagine many of them would turn down a move. Nor that the current owners would reject a chance for some cash, especially when there are plenty of third-rate imports to fill the gaps.
    I think we'll be lucky to get third-rate.
  • edited April 2016

I for one am very excited to find out what we throw on the pitch next.

Tennis Balls - Perfect balance of propulsion & size, already done by Dortmund - 1/2
    Table Tennis Balls - Affordable, but lack flight due to the fact that their weight - 3/1
    Footballs - Difficult to smuggle into a stadium, although if they were the same as the match ball enough of them could cause serious disruption - 8/1
    Snooker ball - Similar to golf balls, but with the added bonus that Jim Davidson could provider commentary - 15/1
    Shuttlecocks - Difficult to throw with any real vigour, but there has to be something in a Cock/Duchatelet reference - 20/1
    Rugby Balls - Another object that's hard to bring into the ground, with little relation to the regime - 25/1
    Cricket ball - Dangerous, especially in the hands of Ben Stokes who has a habit of missing his target - 40/1

Tennis Balls seems to be the way. Easy to conceal around genitalia and suspect even Squirrel Face has not instructed cavity searches yet. Aerodynamic, with good distance possible, no major injury risk. A bulk order should see them in black and white as well.

That said, a special one-off bowling ball, in CARD colours, could be smuggled in for whoever sits a row behind @PL54?
  • Can I claim a prize? I have just been reported for abuse on another thread by our own favourite troll @PL54 fir suggesting Squirrel Face might be sharing a bed with Roland. . Credit for perseverance ... he's flagged me four times before and each time the moderator has stepped in. Will it be fifth time lucky?
  • Cannot believe the stick Harriott is getting. He more than anyone is responsible for the recent pick up in form. Since he came back into the team we have started creating chances and scoring goals. Even when he has a poor game, as he did on Saturday, his determination and fighting spirit directly led to a goal. The lad has done fantastically and he's not even a centre forward!

I've read every post on this thread and the mentions of Harriott are generally, to paraphrase, "a trier but not good enough at what he's being asked to do", which isn't giving him stick, it's pointing out what happened. Someone giveing their all is not a reason to gloss over their failings.
  • I for one am very excited to find out what we throw on the pitch next.

You missed out "Roland's balls".
  • mogodon said:

Can I claim a prize? I have just been reported for abuse on another thread by our own favourite troll @PL54 fir suggesting Squirrel Face might be sharing a bed with Roland. . Credit for perseverance ... he's flagged me four times before and each time the moderator has stepped in. Will it be fifth time lucky?

Let's hope so squeeler
  • Squealer dear boy. Please do try to spell properly; after all it was only one word.