Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Birmingham post match views 2016

Comments

• When they scored I thought that's it game over, very pleased to turn it around to keep a faint whiff of hope, even made sharing a train with plastered brummies bearable.
  • I just did my victory shit. First one in ages and felt bloody brilliant!

My God you must have been dying for it.

• sammy391 said:

The protests and disruption tactics aren't going down well with those over on ITTV , with one poster saying the protests will effect whether people will want to buy us or not (putting them in a negative light!)

Can't believe people are still backing the regime , especially as we are almost certain for relegation (not jinxing it :wink: ), but due to a hard wasn't victory protests are bad etc... Amazed
    http://intothevalley.proboards.com/thread/19089/protest-group-latest-updates?page=8

ITTV. Lol. Sorry but two thirds of the people on there would start an argument with themselves in a mirror they are so thick. Assume Incorruptible Addick is still posting his bile?
  • It's good that we came back from 1 down to win the game. Too little too late probably. Still, 1 game at a time. A couple more wins out of the next 4 games and we'll be starting to put some pressure on those above us. Then, you never know.
  • PL54 said:

sammy391 said:

The protests and disruption tactics aren't going down well with those over on ITTV , with one poster saying the protests will effect whether people will want to buy us or not (putting them in a negative light!)

Can't believe people are still backing the regime , especially as we are almost certain for relegation (not jinxing it :wink: ), but due to a hard wasn't victory protests are bad etc... Amazed
    http://intothevalley.proboards.com/thread/19089/protest-group-latest-updates?page=8

So who is being refered to here ?:

"Whether you are a protestor or not, most of those around me found the antics today were just tiresome, tedious and puerile.

Apart from a snarly, baldy CARD bloke behind us who was doing his nut - "fuck off roland you belgian cunt etc" throughout the entire game. I asked him to pipe down because there were children present and he told me "we want our Charlton back" because the fucking belgians have stolen our club".

When we scored the winner, he didn't even cheer. The rest of us were going mental. I told him we'd got our Charlton back and he should be proud of Riga and our players. He said the result didn't matter , all that mattered was "getting the belgian cunts out".

Meire is right - some Charlton 'fans' (not all and it's only a minority ) - really are weirdos!"
    How did you get a ticket to the Directors box
  • edited April 2016
    Hope the (older chap) who fell backwards down the stairs in West Lower today at the end of the first half was ok. I saw Big Dave having a chat with him before St John Ambulance took him away.
  • Oh fuck off

What was that aimed at?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2016

I'd almost forgotten how good it feels to sit down with chicken & chips from the Chinese Chippy , a glass of the pink stuff and to ENJOY a Saturday night ! Oh, and Mr F is tickled pink to hear Fanny's sexy , gravelly voice once again ! Might even stop him snoring in front of " Casualty "!

Can't conjure up any negatives from today at the minute which must be a first.

Good pre match meeting with Fizz & Joe to discuss what's what with POTY ( they really are good people!) followed by a brilliant start to the match courtesy of CARD's balls .....TBH, I believe the extra warm up the players had with picking them up made all the difference to their performance....

and for once, they didn't let us down.

All concerned pretty much gave their all for us today and long may that endeavour & spirit continue. Everyone played his part in the win and that was possibly almost as satisfying as gaining the 3 points. Jose should be proud of all his lads and should also be congratulated for the way he set up his team today and the choices he made.

However, for me, young Jordan stood out, head & shoulders above the rest and must retain the captain's armband he is so proud of sporting. He's one of our own, of course and that makes him extra special but his tenacity , drive and determination are to be admired and mark him out as a player deserving of a good future in the game. I'm certain I echo the thoughts of many Addicks when I admit I shall be devastated if he leaves for a "bigger" club at the end of the season. I know he is Charlton through & through but if we are relegated, he has to consider his future and whether there will be a worthwhile one for him under the current regime's weird experiment.

So onto Portman Road on Tuesday afternoon, with our tails up. I'm guessing that today's game will have taken its toll on the lads but the journey will not be a gruelling one and their confidence will be high so let's keep everything crossed for a good result. As others have stated, each match is a Cup Final now & both players and fans must treat it accordingly. The atmosphere was fantastic this afternoon , especially in the last 30 minutes or so and those making the trip need to make their voices heard from the first to last whistle.

Forgive me if this isn't the right place , but I'm wondering whether a couple of good performances with all guns blazing and more than a glimpse of OUR Charlton might persuade a few more to purchase their tickets for the dinner on 1st May. If this current team had been available to a decent manager from last August, I'm sure we wouldn't find ourselves staring relegation in the face. We haven't had a settled side all season. And although injuries have inevitably played their part, our current position is down to one man, and one man only. We can say that the players haven't helped at times & that may well be true but who brought in the majority of those under par players & who failed to strengthen the squad when it was so badly needed ? And who appointed the sub standard coaches to , well, coach them ?

I'd be honoured to look every player on the hallowed turf today in the face and congratulate them. ..not for merely doing their job for which we know they are richly paid, but for bringing a smile back to the faces of the faithful and pride back in our club. Whatever the last 7 games of the season bring in terms of results, I believe that Jose has instilled self belief back into a group of players that has been crying out for his kind of leadership since he departed nearly 2 years ago....and we know whose fault that was. And on May 1st, those players will be looking back on their season, with some ready to leave for pastures new, whilst others will be looking for a break before starting over again in the red shirt. We all have our favourites, of course, and for some, this could be the time to bid them farewell & wish them good luck for the future...whilst others will be happy to chat about their next challenge at our club.

Rather than reflect on the last 8 months with a degree of bitterness and anger, why not reserve those feelings for the regime and come along to talk with our players who are the pawns in RD's little game after all. That's if, like me, you support the team, NOT the regime, of course.....

Sermon over.

Diarra was my man of the match today, by a country mile.

The good news is that Diarra's influential performance brought the best out of many others and his developing chemistry with Cousins is a big part of the success and Cousins is flourishing because of it.

Felt a bit sorry for Suk-Young early doors as the support he got from a static Fox was soul destroying for him - several occasions he was looking to play the ball behind the full back in to an overlapping Fox but the run never came. In the end Riga had to sub Suk as he'd lost his way by then.

Lookman made a huge difference when he came on, Igor did some good stuff and won quite a few knock on headers when up against the relative giant that is Morro.

Special mention to Rod Fanni who was excellent, Tex for the obvious, Pope for the push away sidewards save showing his game is improving (previously it may have spilled in front of him) and JBG who did really well on what must have been tired legs from the Iceland game in the week.

Defensively we are looking much, much better since Motta, Fanni & Tex started to gel & Fox has also improved accordingly, especially when he gets support from the front & mid.

Just a point I picked up on - when JBG came to take a corner in front of East Stand A he completely ignored the applause from the CAFC fans - this body language suggested he maybe didn't want to be there, playing at the toxic Valley?

Riga's comment about the players showing true professionalism was spot on but it is likely the players have a point to prove and so really put it in.

Let's not forget how bad things had become up to and including the Colchester defeat - today we are a totally transformed team - well done Jose, well done the players.
  • If we do go down which is likely then we stand a chance of bouncing straight back if we keep Jordan Cousins!!

Never going to happen.
  • Rob said:

It's good that we came back from 1 down to win the game. Too little too late probably. Still, 1 game at a time. A couple more wins out of the next 4 games and we'll be starting to put some pressure on those above us. Then, you never know.

Didn't look like Fulham and Rotherham buckled under that pressure today.
  • edited April 2016
    sammy391 said:

To be fair, the people in that thread making comments against the protests talk a lot of nonsense most of the time anyway. I'm not sure their opinion counts for much at all.

IMO, the only people that may be put off buying us, are those that might want to try some dumb experiments of their own. Anyone who has the club and fans best interests at heart will not be put off at all.
  • edited April 2016
    Oh and now should RD fail to sell Charlton , it's the protestors fault! :expressionless:
    "Why would any potential buyers care about protests? Wow. Think about that one. If they think what the club is experiencing now is going to happen to them , with losses on the increase , they will not be touching it.
    They will not be interested in returning fans because as soon as the fans dont like something then the new owner becomes the new RD.
    You cant wash your hands of responsibility so easily.
    Should the protests work and RD fecks off announcing the protests as too much then the plaudits and credit will be yours for the taking and rightfully so. But if no buyer comes and the ultimate happens because of the protests then blame will responsibility will also be yours.
    Common sense is needed now as its getting a bit daft.

Read more: http://intothevalley.proboards.com/thread/19089/protest-group-latest-updates?page=9#ixzz44iMIZa8H"
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

purdis said:

Just a point I picked up on - when JBG came to take a corner in front of East Stand A he completely ignored the applause from the CAFC fans - this body language suggested he maybe didn't want to be there, playing at the toxic Valley?

Riga's comment about the players showing true professionalism was spot on but it is likely the players have a point to prove and so really put it in.

Let's not forget how bad things had become up to and including the Colchester defeat - today we are a totally transformed team - well done Jose, well done the players.

Reading "players' body language" is a pet peeve of mine, not just on here but in football in general. It's not a science, and I think we can all think of examples where determination can be misread for anger or frustration. Not singling you out, this happen a lot, especially with JBG of late.

That aside, enjoyed your post.

I've said it before and will say it again, something to judge a manager on is how he improves individual players, as well as the team. Riga definitely has a tactical system that he likes, he definitely drills his players well, and I'm personally of the belief that if he'd been instilled in November we'd be clear of this mess. But on top of that, he has certainly improved Cousins, Fox, Pope, Harriott, and arguably Diarra and Igor (though having them fit is probably the biggest factor in their upturn in form). On top of that, he has integrated Fanni, Motta, and his signing, Texeira. I've got a lot of time for Riga, 10 points from 15 now. I'm not sure if we'll ever fully know just how bad (in terms of spirit and possibly fitness) the team he took over was.

At this stage of the season, momentum can be the biggest factor in where a team finishes. There always seems to be one team who goes on a run and avoids relegation or makes the playoffs. All we can do is continue to put in good performances and hope the results continue.
    I agree with this though we need those around us to start slipping up too or the good results are ultimately fruitless.

• Why should anyone's count more than others.

You are correct that everyone has a right to their own opinion. Of course, that doesn't mean that everyone's opinion is right.

Out of interest, you have talked about us having the wrong kind of fan. So what is right kind in your mind?

Also, how do you think this season has gone? And, if you think it hasn't gone well, why do you think the club is in the position it is?
  • purdis said:

Felt a bit sorry for Suk-Young early doors as the support he got from a static Fox was soul destroying for him - several occasions he was looking to play the ball behind the full back in to an overlapping Fox but the run never came. In the end Riga had to sub Suk as he'd lost his way by then.

I know some of our fans have always been willing to go that extra mile to single out their least favourite players but, I have to say, this is a new one on me, blaming another players poor performance on the current favourite scapegoat... extraordinary work.

• What's shocking is how few of the players who we signed last summer or during this season before Riga arrived are now featuring. Bergdych and Mak were on the bench, while Ba, Sarr, Johnson and Poyet didn't even make the bench!

I don't know who's responsible for the latest signings, but it's fair to say that all the player's we've brought in to the club since Riga arrived have improved the side

And that's without mentioning Cebellos and the signing of that inept loanee from Boro and I'm sure there is at least one other we've forgotten. Next season will be no different and come January another plaster will be applied to cover the wound and they will hope for another miracle. It may work and it may not but what a way to run a football club.

The only consolation, is that under Riga the quality of free and loan signings has improved significantly, which suggests that a decent head coach can lessen the damage of the network scouts...
  • Birmingham got 3 corners. Charlton got 3 points.
  • At least now that Cousins and Diarra are making a fist at controlling the central mid, we can at last start attacking using the wings.