Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Birmingham post match views 2016

Comments

• purdis said:

Felt a bit sorry for Suk-Young early doors as the support he got from a static Fox was soul destroying for him - several occasions he was looking to play the ball behind the full back in to an overlapping Fox but the run never came. In the end Riga had to sub Suk as he'd lost his way by then.

I know some of our fans have always been willing to go that extra mile to single out their least favourite players but, I have to say, this is a new one on me, blaming another players poor performance on the current favourite scapegoat... extraordinary work.

If you were there you would know exactly what I mean so please don't make such comments - I commented on what I saw and my report was mostly positive.
    If you were there then you must have been at a different part of the ground because what I observed was right in front of me.
  • SDAddick said:

purdis said:

Just a point I picked up on - when JBG came to take a corner in front of East Stand A he completely ignored the applause from the CAFC fans - this body language suggested he maybe didn't want to be there, playing at the toxic Valley?

Riga's comment about the players showing true professionalism was spot on but it is likely the players have a point to prove and so really put it in.

Let's not forget how bad things had become up to and including the Colchester defeat - today we are a totally transformed team - well done Jose, well done the players.

Reading "players' body language" is a pet peeve of mine, not just on here but in football in general. It's not a science, and I think we can all think of examples where determination can be misread for anger or frustration. Not singling you out, this happen a lot, especially with JBG of late.

That aside, enjoyed your post.

I've said it before and will say it again, something to judge a manager on is how he improves individual players, as well as the team. Riga definitely has a tactical system that he likes, he definitely drills his players well, and I'm personally of the belief that if he'd been instilled in November we'd be clear of this mess. But on top of that, he has certainly improved Cousins, Fox, Pope, Harriott, and arguably Diarra and Igor (though having them fit is probably the biggest factor in their upturn in form). On top of that, he has integrated Fanni, Motta, and his signing, Texeira. I've got a lot of time for Riga, 10 points from 15 now. I'm not sure if we'll ever fully know just how bad (in terms of spirit and possibly fitness) the team he took over was.

At this stage of the season, momentum can be the biggest factor in where a team finishes. There always seems to be one team who goes on a run and avoids relegation or makes the playoffs. All we can do is continue to put in good performances and hope the results continue.
    Agree and my comment on JBG body language was just a personal opinion - when I saw his lack of reaction (most players would have turned to the crowd & clapped back), it was casting my mind back to when he was shaking his head at the crowd in disbelief a few weeks ago when some areas of the ground hounded Reza for a wild shot with his right boot, singing, "What the f..kin' 'ell was that".
    Can't be many clubs who's home fans would sing that at one of their own.
  • rikofold said:

3:00pm Saturday 2nd April
    The Valley (Att: 15742)

and I am a monkey's uncle

8000 Charlton today
    If my maths is correct, with 3000 Brum and ca. 10k season ticket holders there must have been a minimum of 2500 walk ups today. If there were only 8000 Charlton in the ground, roughly half the season ticket holders aren't bothering. Damning.
    I sit in the West Upper.

Where the East takes 6000, I am certain the entire Covered End could be moved to the East so then it is a case of how many in the West.
  • PL54 said:

sammy391 said:

The protests and disruption tactics aren't going down well with those over on ITTV , with one poster saying the protests will effect whether people will want to buy us or not (putting them in a negative light!)

Can't believe people are still backing the regime , especially as we are almost certain for relegation (not jinxing it :wink: ), but due to a hard wasn't victory protests are bad etc... Amazed
    http://intothevalley.proboards.com/thread/19089/protest-group-latest-updates?page=8

So who is being refered to here ?:

"Whether you are a protestor or not, most of those around me found the antics today were just tiresome, tedious and puerile.

Apart from a snarly, baldy CARD bloke behind us who was doing his nut - "fuck off roland you belgian cunt etc" throughout the entire game. I asked him to pipe down because there were children present and he told me "we want our Charlton back" because the fucking belgians have stolen our club".

When we scored the winner, he didn't even cheer. The rest of us were going mental. I told him we'd got our Charlton back and he should be proud of Riga and our players. He said the result didn't matter , all that mattered was "getting the belgian cunts out".

Meire is right - some Charlton 'fans' (not all and it's only a minority ) - really are weirdos!"
    Do you sit next to Spouting Rubbish from ITTV?
  • edited April 2016

The type of Cafc fans mentioned above have been ruining our club for the last 15 years. They are killing us not RD.

If this isn't sarcasm, have you really not noticed the decline on and off the pitch since Roland arrived?
  • Horrible deflection on the cross for their goal that I didn't notice until saw highlights. Fully deserved 3 points. Such a shame Rotherham and Fulham are producing the goods as well.
  • edited April 2016
    ChiAddick said:

Horrible deflection on the cross for their goal that I didn't notice until saw highlights. Fully deserved 3 points. Such a shame Rotherham and Fulham are producing the goods as well.

They are just conforming to the norm in terms of points, though. The problem is that we still only have 35 points, fewer than one per game, which will get you relegated in most seasons.
  • I saw something on the match thread about the guys at Data Techniques. Something to do with Liar Liar? Could someone elaborate?
    I'd phone them up to ask, but I can't get their phone number to work...
    :smiley:
  • Sponsored links:

• We will probably need 5 wins from 7, possibly 4 wins and two draws so the manager has to be braver earlier IMO. We have nothing to lose by doing so.

Even if we play well for the remainder of the season (a big if given even recent form) then I can see three wins, possibly four from the remaining eight. But we have the hardest run-in out of MK Dons, Fulham and Rotherham and the goal difference means we are effectively seven points adrift. Depressing, can't see it happening. The damage was done with the mid-season experiment of Fraeye, the one that I don't think anyone has actually admitted to making.
  • Nug said:

purdis said:

SDAddick said:

purdis said:

Just a point I picked up on - when JBG came to take a corner in front of East Stand A he completely ignored the applause from the CAFC fans - this body language suggested he maybe didn't want to be there, playing at the toxic Valley?

Riga's comment about the players showing true professionalism was spot on but it is likely the players have a point to prove and so really put it in.

Let's not forget how bad things had become up to and including the Colchester defeat - today we are a totally transformed team - well done Jose, well done the players.

Reading "players' body language" is a pet peeve of mine, not just on here but in football in general. It's not a science, and I think we can all think of examples where determination can be misread for anger or frustration. Not singling you out, this happen a lot, especially with JBG of late.

I've said it before and will say it again, something to judge a manager on is how he improves individual players, as well as the team. Riga definitely has a tactical system that he likes, he definitely drills his players well, and I'm personally of the belief that if he'd been instilled in November we'd be clear of this mess. But on top of that, he has certainly improved Cousins, Fox, Pope, Harriott, and arguably Diarra and Igor (though having them fit is probably the biggest factor in their upturn in form). On top of that, he has integrated Fanni, Motta, and his signing, Texeira. I've got a lot of time for Riga, 10 points from 15 now. I'm not sure if we'll ever fully know just how bad (in terms of spirit and possibly fitness) the team he took over was.

At this stage of the season, momentum can be the biggest factor in where a team finishes. There always seems to be one team who goes on a run and avoids relegation or makes the playoffs. All we can do is continue to put in good performances and hope the results continue.
    Agree and my comment on JBG body language was just a personal opinion - when I saw his lack of reaction (most players would have turned to the crowd & clapped back), it was casting my mind back to when he was shaking his head at the crowd in disbelief a few weeks ago when some areas of the ground hounded Reza for a wild shot with his right boot, singing, "What the f..kin' 'ell was that".
    When did Reza become one of our own? Not saying I agree with chants like that but he epitomises all that's wrong with this regime. A player with no affinity to us who was shipped in from the network, then out, then back in again and has generally been pretty poor. I think fans from most clubs would react the same we have given the same circumstances over the last 2 years. I agree about JBG he looks like a player unhappy with the whole situation and will be gone and he knows it.
    Should have added the word, 'Players' after, "One of our own".

Same as I should have said in my original post, "On several occasions early in the game Suk was looking to play the ball behind the full back for Fox to overlap but, for whatever reason those overlap runs never came which was a shame as that would have given Suk a greater sense of purpose and thus brought him into the game more....".
  • mogodon said:

We will probably need 5 wins from 7, possibly 4 wins and two draws so the manager has to be braver earlier IMO. We have nothing to lose by doing so.

Even if we play well for the remainder of the season (a big if given even recent form) then I can see three wins, possibly four from the remaining eight. But we have the hardest run-in out of MK Dons, Fulham and Rotherham and the goal difference means we are effectively seven points adrift. Depressing, can't see it happening. The damage was done with the mid-season experiment of Fraeye, the one that I don't think anyone has actually admitted to making.

Forget about Rotherham. Under Warnock they'll get over 50 points and probably end up mid-table
  • purdis said:

SDAddick said:

purdis said:

Agree with you 100% about Gudmundsson - his whole body language and demeanor is just screaming out I don't want to be here. It's just so evident - a quick example, when he came out at the start of the 2nd half and came over towards the East stand, the crowd applauded him and he scarcely even looked up.

Clearly a quality player who will be playing somewhere else next season.
    Junior reckons JBG's off to Norwich.
    Time will tell.
    Shame, he's a good player.

• What's shocking is how few of the players who we signed last summer or during this season before Riga arrived are now featuring. Bergdych and Mak were on the bench, while Ba, Sarr, Johnson and Poyet didn't even make the bench!

I don't know who's responsible for the latest signings, but it's fair to say that all the player's we've brought in to the club since Riga arrived have improved the side

And that's without mentioning Cebellos and the signing of that inept loanee from Boro and I'm sure there is at least one other we've forgotten. Next season will be no different and come January another plaster will be applied to cover the wound and they will hope for another miracle. It may work and it may not but what a way to run a football club.

That inept signing from Boro is my choice for POTY I will have you know.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:

Really enjoyed the second half, as others have said if only we had a fully fit Diarra and Vetokele all season, this squad now has quality and shouldn't be where we are but that's the club's fault, says all you need to know.

On a sour note, does anyone know how to report another fan to the club? - every week he is making comments whenever I join with the protests, yesterday was "if you don't sit down, I'll put you down myself", he is also constantly racist and abusive. Yesterday he purposely called Diarra, "Diarrhoea" and instead of saying "our number 2, Yun", he said, "our Chinese takeaway on the left hand side". He is an arrogant, opinionated bastard. I lost my head with it all yesterday and had an argument with him, my girlfriend had a go at him too, but I can't tolerate him saying things, being verbally abusive towards me and the players, and being racist all the time to the players. No one else says anything because he's a ring leader and sits in the lower west. I want to write to the club but I don't know how the best way and who to contact, that's if they do anything at all.

Overall, a good day and the spirit of the team was evident which shows hope. Maybe too late but we have got to carry on just as we are.

Would the recent club/Met Police statement be of any help; or is the club only interested in anti-regime racism?
  • Sage said:

Really enjoyed the second half, as others have said if only we had a fully fit Diarra and Vetokele all season, this squad now has quality and shouldn't be where we are but that's the club's fault, says all you need to know.

On a sour note, does anyone know how to report another fan to the club? - every week he is making comments whenever I join with the protests, yesterday was "if you don't sit down, I'll put you down myself", he is also constantly racist and abusive. Yesterday he purposely called Diarra, "Diarrhoea" and instead of saying "our number 2, Yun", he said, "our Chinese takeaway on the left hand side". He is an arrogant, opinionated bastard. I lost my head with it all yesterday and had an argument with him, my girlfriend had a go at him too, but I can't tolerate him saying things, being verbally abusive towards me and the players, and being racist all the time to the players. No one else says anything because he's a ring leader and sits in the lower west. I want to write to the club but I don't know how the best way and who to contact, that's if they do anything at all.

Overall, a good day and the spirit of the team was evident which shows hope. Maybe too late but we have got to carry on just as we are.

Would the recent club/Met Police statement be of any help; or is the club only interested in anti-regime racism?
    I am not sure whether they would pursue anything the way they run the club. I've had to put up with it all season and yesterday was the final straw. He's an older, bigger man who must be in his 60's so not a younger man.

Who's the best person to contact at the club?
  • Sage said:

Contact Mick Everett
  • JohnnyH2 said:

Sage said:

Contact Mick Everett
    I'm guessing his email is mick.everett@cafc.co.uk

Thank you.
  • I was more impressed with this victory than the ones over Sheff Wednesday and Middlesbrough, who clearly did not turn up on the day / had issues.

Yesterday Charlton competed for the entire game against a determined Birmingham outfit and as the game wore on began to win the 50/50s and out battle Birmingham - it was a well deserved victory. Riga needs to keep the team competing like this as it is the minimum requirement for survival in the Championship .

Hopefully we are rid of the 3,4,5,6 nil rollover performances that have become so humiliatingly characteristic of our season. Sadly time is not on our side and I fear we’ll pay the price for the ineptitude that has swept through the club under the RD cabal.
  • edited April 2016
    Sage said:

a ring leader and sits in the lower west

sorry but that made me laugh
  • I'm not sure I agree with the suggestions that JBG doesn't care, the way he (entirely understandably) harranged the useless referee after he twice, within a couple of minutes, failed to play an advantage when we had been fouled wasn't that of someone not wanting to be there

Sorry - just can't agree with you on this one.

I take your point about his reactions when the ref failed to play an advantage. But I'd also offer up his reaction when he scored - just stood there, barely a flicker of emotion.

He wants out and is counting the days down.