Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Well done Bob - mainly coherent!
  • Many happy returns @bobmunro
  • Happy birthday Bob! 
  • Thank you.
    Suffering this morning!
  • Henny Mappu Renurts Bob. Hic.  
  • bobmunro said:
    McBobbin said:
    Don't get me wrong I like Fury and believe he has the beating of anyone,  AJ included, I just don't think his resume is all that impressive. By impressive I mean up there with the greats. I know he's had years of his prime lost to mental health issues and now Covid and it's a shame

None of the current crop  are up there, or any where near to what has come before in my lifetime in the top division - Fury and Joshua are shadows of Lewis, Tyson, Frazier, Holyfield, Foreman, Norton and, of course, the Greatest. The heavyweight division is a complete joke and although I accept that they can only be the measure of their generation it is a travesty of what is the greatest prize in sport.

Boxing is my sporting passion (after Charlton of course) and it was always based on the best heavyweight - no longer and it hasn't been that for many a long year. It's such a shame that I look at, for example, welter and middle for my fix.

Hey ho - it is what it is.

P.S, it has taken me 20 minutes to write this post, having to correct every other word, as I am well and truly pissed after celebrating my 64th birthday! When I get older, losing my hair, many years ....
    Thinking a bit about his more... You're right that the heavyweight division is pretty poor. When I was growing up, I got into boxing by watching Benn, Collins, Eubank, Watson and my favourite was Prince Naseem Hamed. I loved Lewis and Bruno as well (ok Bruno was limited but his title fight against McCall was classic, and I has a sleepover with some mates and got nice and drunk on my dad's badly hidden spirits) but it was the lighter weights were the action was happening - I did mainly get to see the domestic fights on ITV and didn't have sky until later.
  • McBobbin said:
    bobmunro said:
    McBobbin said:
    Don't get me wrong I like Fury and believe he has the beating of anyone,  AJ included, I just don't think his resume is all that impressive. By impressive I mean up there with the greats. I know he's had years of his prime lost to mental health issues and now Covid and it's a shame

None of the current crop  are up there, or any where near to what has come before in my lifetime in the top division - Fury and Joshua are shadows of Lewis, Tyson, Frazier, Holyfield, Foreman, Norton and, of course, the Greatest. The heavyweight division is a complete joke and although I accept that they can only be the measure of their generation it is a travesty of what is the greatest prize in sport.

Boxing is my sporting passion (after Charlton of course) and it was always based on the best heavyweight - no longer and it hasn't been that for many a long year. It's such a shame that I look at, for example, welter and middle for my fix.

Hey ho - it is what it is.

P.S, it has taken me 20 minutes to write this post, having to correct every other word, as I am well and truly pissed after celebrating my 64th birthday! When I get older, losing my hair, many years ....
    Thinking a bit about his more... You're right that the heavyweight division is pretty poor. When I was growing up, I got into boxing by watching Benn, Collins, Eubank, Watson and my favourite was Prince Naseem Hamed. I loved Lewis and Bruno as well (ok Bruno was limited but his title fight against McCall was classic, and I has a sleepover with some mates and got nice and drunk on my dad's badly hidden spirits) but it was the lighter weights were the action was happening - I did mainly get to see the domestic fights on ITV and didn't have sky until later.

I agree, and clearly some of the greats have been at the lower weights. I suppose I was spoiled with such a great clutch of heavyweights and it's still the main prize of course.
  • Well written Bob and congratulations on your 64th.  Is it pension time next year or is age 60?
  • Hearn confirms 5 year DAZN deal, as Sky contract ends:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/57336020
  • Hearn confirms 5 year DAZN deal, as Sky contract ends:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/57336020
  • Sponsored links:

• So how much do we expect the price hike to be for DAZN now?.... it’s incredible value at £1.99 but surely it can’t stay at that now (and we’ll pay for Eddie’s new deal)
  • My gut feeling is Fury and Joshua are destined never to fight each other for a unified undisputed heavyweight title.
    My feeling too.
    Either AJ or Fury will suffer a surprise loss and that's it. 
  • edited June 2021
    Maccn05 said:
    So how much do we expect the price hike to be for DAZN now?.... it’s incredible value at £1.99 but surely it can’t stay at that now (and we’ll pay for Eddie’s new deal)
    It'll go up to £9.99 p/m minimum, I'd have thought. Potentially more if they genuinely plan to hold no PPV events.

Look at other sports subscription services and none are below £9.99 p/m....SuperSports, Optus, Spark, Fite TV, beIN (slightly less), Premier Sports, etc.
  • Maccn05 said:
    So how much do we expect the price hike to be for DAZN now?.... it’s incredible value at £1.99 but surely it can’t stay at that now (and we’ll pay for Eddie’s new deal)
    It'll go up to £9.99 p/m minimum, I'd have thought. Potentially more if they genuinely plan to hold no PPV events.
    You/your man still doing the IPTV?
  • edited June 2021
    Maccn05 said:

Look at other sports subscription services and none are below £9.99 p/m....SuperSports, Optus, Spark, Fite TV, beIN (slightly less), Eleven Sports, etc.
    I paid that for Box Nation (mug!) so would be fine at that level.

Need to get the app on Sky Go though.
  • Maccn05 said:
    You/your man still doing the IPTV?
    I couldn't possibly comment  ;)
  • bobmunro said:
    Maccn05 said:

Look at other sports subscription services and none are below £9.99 p/m....SuperSports, Optus, Spark, Fite TV, beIN (slightly less), Eleven Sports, etc.
    I paid that for Box Nation (mug!) so would be fine at that level.

Need to get the app on Sky Go though.
    I see that as the base level with additional charges if they hold PPV events. Can see it being more if PPV's are factored in to the monthly subscription. £17.99-£19.99 is my guess for the UK market if PPV's are factored in.
  • Hearn has said a reason for moving was to avoid needing PPV... I guess If they get a big enough base of people paying £9.99 per month that would equate to more than the odd big PPV?

What I'm interested in is what Sky do next, they've not acknowledged anything yet. Do they walk away or sign a replacement? Maybe they chuck money at somebody like Sam Jones to set him up and try to challenge Matchroom... that would be fun!

Thx.
  • edited June 2021
    Maccn05 said:
    Hearn has said a reason for moving was to avoid needing PPV... I guess If they get a big enough base of people paying £9.99 per month that would equate to more than the odd big PPV?

What I'm interested in is what Sky do next, they've not acknowledged anything yet. Do they walk away or sign a replacement? Maybe they chuck money at somebody like Sam Jones to set him up and try to challenge Matchroom... that would be fun!

Thx.
    I’ve heard from somebody in the sport that Anthony Joshua has been in discussions with Sky about promoting his own shows on there. He does have one fight left with Sky, and Eddie hasn’t really confirmed that AJ will be moving to DAZN in his latest IFL interview.

Certainly not gospel but just passing on what I’ve been told. 
  • Oh for the good old days,when everybody who had a tv could sit down on a saturday night and watch the likes of Alan Minter,Ken Buchanan ,Jim Watt,John Conteh,and countless others.The days when we had one champion per weight,he fought the no.1 challenger,if successful,he then fought the next guy,no poncing about.Ali used to fight several times a year,giving everyone who deserved it a chance.I am so bored shitless by the Fury=Joshua situation,both professing what they are going to do to each other,but quite happy to fight other people rather than each other.And then if it finally happens,it could be in that Mecca of equality and boxing history,Saudi Arabia,give me strength.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oh for the good old days,when everybody who had a tv could sit down on a saturday night and watch the likes of Alan Minter,Ken Buchanan ,Jim Watt,John Conteh,and countless others.The days when we had one champion per weight,he fought the no.1 challenger,if successful,he then fought the next guy,no poncing about.Ali used to fight several times a year,giving everyone who deserved it a chance.I am so bored shitless by the Fury=Joshua situation,both professing what they are going to do to each other,but quite happy to fight other people rather than each other.And then if it finally happens,it could be in that Mecca of equality and boxing history,Saudi Arabia,give me strength.
    Whilst I agree, if anywhere is the Mecca of anything, it'll be in Mecca ;)
    In the good old days, fights were on Tuesday nights and we had to wait to watch them on Sportsnight with Coleman 24 hours later! Harry Carpenter was of course commentating!
  • Pedro45 said:
    Oh for the good old days,when everybody who had a tv could sit down on a saturday night and watch the likes of Alan Minter,Ken Buchanan ,Jim Watt,John Conteh,and countless others.The days when we had one champion per weight,he fought the no.1 challenger,if successful,he then fought the next guy,no poncing about.Ali used to fight several times a year,giving everyone who deserved it a chance.I am so bored shitless by the Fury=Joshua situation,both professing what they are going to do to each other,but quite happy to fight other people rather than each other.And then if it finally happens,it could be in that Mecca of equality and boxing history,Saudi Arabia,give me strength.
    In the good old days, fights were on Tuesday nights and we had to wait to watch them on Sportsnight with Coleman 24 hours later! Harry Carpenter was of course commentating!
    Yes, and in black and white on a 14 inch TV!

• bobmunro said:
    Pedro45 said:
    Oh for the good old days,when everybody who had a tv could sit down on a saturday night and watch the likes of Alan Minter,Ken Buchanan ,Jim Watt,John Conteh,and countless others.The days when we had one champion per weight,he fought the no.1 challenger,if successful,he then fought the next guy,no poncing about.Ali used to fight several times a year,giving everyone who deserved it a chance.I am so bored shitless by the Fury=Joshua situation,both professing what they are going to do to each other,but quite happy to fight other people rather than each other.And then if it finally happens,it could be in that Mecca of equality and boxing history,Saudi Arabia,give me strength.
    Yes, and in black and white on a 14 inch

I beg to differ my friend,there was plenty of live boxing featuring the gentlemen I mentioned and many more,of course not only confined to Saturdays.There was plenty of early morning action from the USA,my earliest memory watching Marciano destroy Don Cockle with a variety of low blows,elbows,after the bell punches,punching while opponent down.And of course the Ali Liston fights where an early morning alarm call.

• McBobbin said:
    Whilst I agree, if anywhere is the Mecca of anything, it'll be in Mecca ;)
    Bit of a pun,i accidentally slipped in there.
  • bobmunro said:
    Pedro45 said:
    Yes, and in black and white on a 14 inch

I beg to differ my friend,there was plenty of live boxing featuring the gentlemen I mentioned and many more,of course not only confined to Saturdays.There was plenty of early morning action from the USA,my earliest memory watching Marciano destroy Don Cockle with a variety of low blows,elbows,after the bell punches,punching while opponent down.And of course the Ali Liston fights where an early morning alarm call.

I know - I watched most of it (not Marciano though - I'm a bit too young for that!)
    Plus the ABA finals all live over two nights.
    Subscription TV changed all of that, forever.
  • Just found this topic so a trip down memory lane.I had an uncle who was an ex boxer,who took me to my first ever show at Wembley arena,what an atmosphere,top of the bill was Brian London and Nuno Valdes,a little way down was Terry Downes and John Mccormac a 6ft plus gangling fighter,Terry could not get near him and in the end slammed him in the bollocks and got disqualified.Then they had the nobbins tradition,if an under card fight was good value,nobbins would be lobbed into the ring in appreciation,as these guys made little money.Also remember " Nosher Powell" a famed journeyman who somehow seemed to be on every bill,and loved fighting.
  • Just seen a news report on last night's farce, sorry exhibition match. It looked from the news report that Floyd was holding the guy up at one point!!!! 

Totally shocked to discover the result :wink:

I guess that means there'll have to be a rematch.  Me cynical??  Never!!

• Didn't realise it had even happened as there was total silence about it from the boxing people I follow on Twitter, which I guess makes sense - it's was an irrelevance to them. Maybe it will interest people in boxing and looking up some old Mayweather fights. Need something to get youngsters interested I suppose, back in my day it was easier with four channels and nothing better on!
  • Just seen a news report on last night's farce, sorry exhibition match. It looked from the news report that Floyd was holding the guy up at one point!!!! 

Totally shocked to discover the result :wink:

I guess that means there'll have to be a rematch.  Me cynical??  Never!!

I watched it (also decided to start work double early as a result). The news report you read is wholly incorrect  :)

There wasn't a result as there were no judges, and whilst Paul never really challenged Mayweather (other than a left in the first that seemed to have Floyd having an "okay" moment) he didn't really get presented with much in the way of an offence from Floyd either.

Paul's size was an obvious concern for Floyd and he steered well clear in the first 3 rounds. After that he started trying to figure him out by fainting a lot but with little end product (considering we're talking about Mayweather here). He worked Paul's body okay but Paul never once looked in trouble.

Floyd has quite visibly lost an edge (father time catches up with all of us so completely understandable).

I've seen worse fights, to be fair.