Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• That’s so cool Croydon.  Celebrities were more accessible in those days weren’t they.  I seem to remember hearing Henry was a regular at his local fish and chip shop.

Our 'enry was just a genuinely nice guy and I was lucky to have been in his company a few times.

I remember when Bugner took all his belts (British, Commonwealth and European) - Joe was universally hated for that and everyone was saying 'why did Henry put all three belts on the line?' (not that he had much choice!).

• He was certainly a huge favourite with the crowd at Wembley that night.  When the fight was stopped and the fighters left the ring fans ringside hurled their programmes at Ali.
  • edited June 2021
    He was certainly a huge favourite with the crowd at Wembley that night.  When the fight was stopped and the fighters left the ring fans ringside hurled their programmes at Ali.
    Ali turned out to be quite useful though!

Cooper was really only a cruiserweight and would have been a world champion if that division had been around then.
  • He was certainly a huge favourite with the crowd at Wembley that night.  When the fight was stopped and the fighters left the ring fans ringside hurled their programmes at Ali.
    Is that that only similarity Muhammed Ali has with Steve Brown?
  • McBobbin said:
    He was certainly a huge favourite with the crowd at Wembley that night.  When the fight was stopped and the fighters left the ring fans ringside hurled their programmes at Ali.
    Is that that only similarity Muhammed Ali has with Steve Brown?
    No - they could also both talk the hind leg off a donkey!
  • Interesting point about Cooper, I was watching the Tyson/Bruno documentary the other day, and noted that both of them fought at around the 15stone mark, which would make them tiny by today's standards!

Fury, Joshua, Whyte, and Ruiz are all regularly hitting the scales at well over 17 stone, with Tyson often closer to twenty! God knows how much the big boys are going to weigh in another 25 years!
  • Fury-wilder postponed 
  • edited July 2021
    Saw a tweet from Eddie Hearn saying that Dylian Whyte was ready to step in for Fury. What a time to be alive!
  • McBobbin said:
    Saw a tweet from Eddie Hearn saying that Dylian Whyte was ready to step in for Fury. What a time to be alive!
    If Fury-Wilder is rescheduled for (as i've seen proposed) 9 October, then will Wilder bother taking another fight now or just wait?
  • Sponsored links:

• Boxer Chris Eubank's son Sebastian has died days before his 30th birthday, his father's representatives have said.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57786230
  • clive said:
    Boxer Chris Eubank's son Sebastian has died days before his 30th birthday, his father's representatives have said.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57786230

Awful news.

RIP Sebastian and thoughts with the family.
  • That is horrible news, rest in peace Sebastian 
  • RIP Sebastian
  • edited July 2021
    So awful. Had a one month old child as well
  • Tragic. RIP
  • Was not impressed with Archie Sharp yesterday. Attitude or Game management wise.
  • edited July 2021
    Takam winnings rounds against Joyce currently. Joyce moving so sloooowly
  • Joyce wins by stoppage
  • Sponsored links:

• Joyce wins by stoppage
    Very early stoppage. Don't think Takam was actually hurt.
  • But he had his hands down and head was just a floating target. 
  • Absolutely dreadful stoppage... his head was still moving and I don't think he was hurt in the slightest. Joyce probably would have gained momentum and won it from there, but that was way too early
  • Just watched the fight.

I say this after all his fights, but Joyce is horrible to watch
  • Just watched the fight.

I say this after all his fights, but Joyce is horrible to watch
    I really like him as a human being but as a boxer yeah his style makes me sick 
  • Joyce takes way too many shots, he's a disaster waiting to happen.

Very likeable guy though.
  • Fight Camp starts this weekend.

Headlined by Connor Benn vs Granados.... a bit underwhelming to say the least. 
  • Anyone else watching Fight Camp tonight, some decent fights I thought topped off with Leigh Wood beating Xu Can. 

Not sure what I think about Campbell Hatton, he’s being hyped as the second coming of his old man but don’t think he’s going to get to that level.
  • Anyone else watching Fight Camp tonight, some decent fights I thought topped off with Leigh Wood beating Xu Can. 

Not sure what I think about Campbell Hatton, he’s being hyped as the second coming of his old man but don’t think he’s going to get to that level.
    Totally agree regarding Campbell Hatton. It’s still early days for him but haven’t been impressed with him at all so far.
  • Far too early to make any judgements on how good or how far Campbell Hatton will go, it was the same with Connor Benn.

They have a few things in common in having famous, successful pugilistic fathers and heaps of expectation and pressure. They also have fathers and people around them who know boxing and what it takes to get to the highest level. 

I'm pleased for Leigh Wood, I've rated him for a while and to be honest thought this fight (a world title not the opponent who hadn't fought for over 2 years) might have come too soon