Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• edited May 2021
    Was happy at the prospect of watching AJ v Fury, less so of watching Fury v Wilder 3
  • cafc999 said:
    Was happy at the prospect of watching AJ v Fury, less so of watching Fury v Wilder 3
    Was going to make a proper weekend of it, ship the baby out for a few days... hopefully see us play at home and then get back for the fight and spend 2 days recovering. Tyson vs wilder il probably just watch it on YouTube the next day. 
  • edited May 2021
    I think Tyson Fury Wilder 3 should be boycotted on PPV. It might help stop this nonsense happening again.
  • I think that if we had been living in ‘normal times’, then the appetite for the Fury/Wilder third fight would be at a minimum. However, given that there has been so little top level (heavyweight) boxing since their second fight, then I expect this to do decent PPV numbers, as punters have been starved of good fights.

Having listened to Eddie Hearn a few times now, I am not in the least bit surprised that Fury Vs Joshua has temporaily been halted. Until Covid-19 clears up, then the numbers for that fight, just don’t work, no matter how much money the Saudi’s or whomever offer. If you get that fight on in a sold out Wembley/Cardiff, with a strong undercard and add in the enormous PPV numbers that it will attract, then you are looking at the biggest financial fight in history – imagine the money they will generate from corporate hospitality alone???

There is no way that Hearn, Warren and Bob Arum are going to walk away from that kind of dosh, especially as it will likely be a two fight deal, so they get to do it all again six months later, and double their lolly!

• I think Tyson Fury Wilder 3 should be boycotted on PPV. It might help stop this nonsense happening again.
    Agree - but no chance it'll happen though. You only need to look at some of the PPV poop being served up recently that people will happily shell out for. Tyson v Wilder III is still way more attractive than most of the stuff served up on PPV of late.
  • The problem is, you have this fight that will be massive (Fury Joshua). Wilder has a hard punch and could land one on Fury. Joshua has history of losing to weaker opponent. So this massive fight may not be so massive in a year's time. If they had a fight in Saudi, they could do a three fight deal and make the money over those. 

That is the best option for Fury and Joshua. Whatever the outcome they will be seriously rich from it all. Wilder, I believe would rather step aside but knows there is a premium in doing so. 
  • My gut feeling is Fury and Joshua are destined never to fight each other for a unified undisputed heavyweight title.
  • The problem is, you have this fight that will be massive (Fury Joshua). Wilder has a hard punch and could land one on Fury. Joshua has history of losing to weaker opponent. So this massive fight may not be so massive in a year's time. If they had a fight in Saudi, they could do a three fight deal and make the money over those. 

That is the best option for Fury and Joshua. Whatever the outcome they will be seriously rich from it all. Wilder, I believe would rather step aside but knows there is a premium in doing so. 
    Not sure Usyk can be described as a weaker opponent - smaller yes. If Joshua doesn't land the big bombs then Usyk will out box him - he can also dig! I agree that Wilder could literally come out swinging and land a 'goodnight Vienna' looping right.

I've got to the point now where I really couldn't give a shit if AJ/Fury ever comes off.
  • I meant Ruiz Junior as the weaker opponent just to make the point that either fighter could lose some appeal in the fight if they don't fight each other next.
  • Sponsored links:

• I meant Ruiz Junior as the weaker opponent just to make the point that either fighter could lose some appeal in the fight if they don't fight each other next.
    Joshua will fight Usyk next, or else he will be stripped of the WBO belt - and bang goes the big prize of undisputed for a Fury/Joshua fight.
  • My gut feeling is Fury and Joshua are destined never to fight each other for a unified undisputed heavyweight title.
    you could well be right too much bollocks in boxing

• https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/may/27/time-to-find-out-who-cares-boxing-brain-damage-tris-dixon

Interesting article about brain damage in boxing and the need for greater regulation. Boxing authorities need to do far more to protect boxers.
  • bobmunro said:
    I meant Ruiz Junior as the weaker opponent just to make the point that either fighter could lose some appeal in the fight if they don't fight each other next.
    Joshua will fight Usyk next, or else he will be stripped of the WBO belt - and bang goes the big prize of undisputed for a Fury/Joshua fight.
    WBA, WBC & IBF are perfectly fine for undisputed champions. 

Why the WBO title is held in such regard I  never know. Pony belt really. Narks me when they make their demands on who should fight who.😄

Bowe, Tyson,  Holyfield, Lewis, all undisputed champs wthout the need for the WBO in there. 
  • Stefco said:
    bobmunro said:
    I meant Ruiz Junior as the weaker opponent just to make the point that either fighter could lose some appeal in the fight if they don't fight each other next.

Why the WBO title is held in such regard I  never know. Pony belt really. Narks me when they make their demands on who should fight who.😄

Bowe, Tyson,  Holyfield, Lewis, all undisputed champs wthout the need for the WBO in there. 
    I'm not disagreeing with you, but that's the way it is.

For me there's only one that really counts and that's the WBC, followed by the WBA. The IBF is not a great deal more meaningful that the WBO.
  • bobmunro said:
    Stefco said:
    bobmunro said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, but that's the way it is.

For me there's only one that really counts and that's the WBC, followed by the WBA. The IBF is not a great deal more meaningful that the WBO.
    I know. Nowt to be done now to change it.

How long before undisputed means having to fight for all the 56 WBA title variations, like super, regular, interim, etc? 😄
  • edited May 2021
    John Fury, the big daddy of the fighting family, has told his son to jack in the WBC Belt as he feels Tyson should've fought AJ and not fight Wilder again.

I enjoyed listening to John Fury on a BT fight night alongside his youngest fighting son Tommy, and watching his various Nephews boxing.

John is a wise man who knows Tyson can lose focus and feels uneasy with this third fight as boxing politics has put pay to the fight the UK/World want to see.
  • John Fury, the big daddy of the fighting family, has told his son to jack in the WBC Belt as he feels Tyson should've fought AJ and not fight Wilder again.

I enjoyed listening to John Fury on a BT fight night alongside his youngest fighting son Tommy, and watching his various Nephews boxing.

John is a wise man who knows Tyson can lose focus and feels uneasy with this third fight as boxing politics has put pay to the fight the UK/World want to see.
    Fantastic honest interview. Tyson should listen to his old man.
  • Always thought John was a bit of a dick, but that was a great interview. There's a huge chance that either fury or AJ lose in the nect couple of months amd the fight we all want to see, gets pushed aside for another couple of years or just doesn't happen at all. 

Tyson has really grown on me the last couple of years, but to bang on about legacy and then not even offer to pay wilder off, has made him look a proper twat. 
  • shine166 said:
    Always thought John was a bit of a dick, but that was a great interview. There's a huge chance that either fury or AJ lose in the nect couple of months amd the fight we all want to see, gets pushed aside for another couple of years or just doesn't happen at all. 

Tyson has really grown on me the last couple of years, but to bang on about legacy and then not even offer to pay wilder off, has made him look a proper twat. 

I think history tells you he isn't a very nice man!
  • Sponsored links:

• Fury's resume isn't anything to shout about really. Outboxed Klitschko, then disappeared, then drew and outfought wilder, and hasn't boxed for ages. A lot of unfulfilled potential in there, it's a joke he hasn't fought more. Unless he beats AJ he won't be remembered as anything in 10 years time
  • bobmunro said:
    shine166 said:
    Always thought John was a bit of a dick, but that was a great interview. There's a huge chance that either fury or AJ lose in the nect couple of months amd the fight we all want to see, gets pushed aside for another couple of years or just doesn't happen at all. 

I think history tells you he isn't a very nice man!
    That's unfair, he only pulled out another man's eye in a scrap. 
  • McBobbin said:
    Fury's resume isn't anything to shout about really. Outboxed Klitschko, then disappeared, then drew and outfought wilder, and hasn't boxed for ages. A lot of unfulfilled potential in there, it's a joke he hasn't fought more. Unless he beats AJ he won't be remembered as anything in 10 years time
    Couldn't disagree more, legacy in Tysons case is beating the main man which he has done twice very convincingly. The lack of heavyweights with anything resembling pedigree isn't his fault. To be honest I don't pay much attention to speculative talk from fighters and their camps about who they are going to fight until the fighters have weighed in 
  • Carter said:
    McBobbin said:
    Fury's resume isn't anything to shout about really. Outboxed Klitschko, then disappeared, then drew and outfought wilder, and hasn't boxed for ages. A lot of unfulfilled potential in there, it's a joke he hasn't fought more. Unless he beats AJ he won't be remembered as anything in 10 years time
    Couldn't disagree more, legacy in Tysons case is beating the main man which he has done twice very convincingly. The lack of heavyweights with anything resembling pedigree isn't his fault. To be honest I don't pay much attention to speculative talk from fighters and their camps about who they are going to fight until the fighters have weighed in 
    On what planet is Wilder the man? He gets beat by AJ, gets convincingly embarrassed by Usyk and probably gets knocked out by dillian. Fury needs to beat AJ to go down as a great, and he does that convincingly 
  • Carter said:
    McBobbin said:
    Not having that. He's fought chisora twice but otherwise a bunch of bean cans and a washed up Klitschko in a snoozefest. There's plenty of people he could have fought from Whyte, Ortiz, povetkin, Ruiz but hasn't. Wilder II was impressive and he really should have won the.first. I rate him as the best right now but don't think his resume justifies him being a great but more of a could have been like Bowe.
  • edited May 2021
    Fury v Wilder will make £millions
    Joshua v Usyk will make £millions

Fury v Joshua x 3 at the end of it all will make countless £millions

This latest facade is all about the Arums, Hearns and Warrens of this world milking their cash cows dry.
  • You could say Fury boxed defensively at length against Klitschko and didn’t hurt him while AJ went toe to toe and KO’d him ... it’s all opinions and circumstances.

What I would agree with is that Fury’s record is heavily padded and his career stop/start to this point

But while I can’t stand the guy you can’t take away that he’s beaten everyone he’s faced.

The next 2/3 years for him should be about defeating Wilder / AJ / Whyte / Usyk and maybe a Joyce or DDD so he has a worthy legacy at this moment AJ has fought more better fighters.
  • Don't get me wrong I like Fury and believe he has the beating of anyone,  AJ included, I just don't think his resume is all that impressive. By impressive I mean up there with the greats. I know he's had years of his prime lost to mental health issues and now Covid and it's a shame