Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Time to get behind the team.

Personally the whole RD and KM battle at this moment in time is detracting from the real battle we have on our hands.
The club are now starring relegation in the face and it has to be upto us fans to put aside all the demos and do what we as fans should do for the remaining games and get behind the team from the first minute in the remaining fixtures.
Fulham will be the perfect place to start. Rather than turning up with a lame 1,000 and singing anti board songs we should turn up on mass and get behind the team in which is winnable game.
Remember the FACup game at Fulham.Noise levels and passion in which we have to create for the team.The players and Riga need us and what goes on at board level is nothing to do with the players.
Be proud of your team and help them out as much as we can in these remaining fixtures we are all in this together.

Comments

• But...we do support the team all game!

Sure, the play impacts the volume of support (and not vice versa) but when it is so poor (as it has been) then it is tough for fans to get motivated. Away games are better, and we will take a few to Fulham and make some noise. But if we go 2-0 down in ten minutes (as per last season) then supporting the failing team won't matter, and the board will get the reaction they deserve as they are, ultimately, the cause.
  • As fans we should take the initiative and be vocal to raise the players. Not just sit there and wait for them to get into the game

After you Claude!
  • No, after you Cecil... one for the oldies and historians there!
  • Agree to a point, but this team show very little passion themselves, let's be honest baring a miracle the chances of staying up are slim. I've been going to the Valley for 40 years and if relegation is the price to pay to get rid of this Belgian disease that's spread through out great club then I will be happy to pay it

They are not leaving, they do not want to sell.
  • I remember several teams over the years getting relegated because the fans have turned against the manager.I cant remember the crowd being anti a "regime" as this.When we went to selhurst there was an achievable target -get back to the valley.This target does not seem achievable without destroying the club.Also social media is very powerful now whereas it wasnt back then .I think the crowd can be massively influencial but it is difficult to imagine a situation that will turn the crowd suddenly into a passionate unit supporting the team which has so little "spirit".
  • Sponsored links:

• There are a certain element sadly that no longer support the club and have an unhealthy obsession with getting the board. Support the team.
  • Once again a post has been hijacked by the anti board messages. Rather than wasting your energy on a lost cause maybe you could support the team and give them the push they need.

We will sell-out at Fulham next week - those fans aren't spending £25 to slag players off.
    BUT they are expecting a decent team performance - same as we expect every match, but let's face it.............

We are pony, and some players should be embarrassed to pick up £5000+ a week and play so poorly.
    Look at the passbacks and sideways moves in the Cardiff game. We have a 6ft 7ins bloke upfront waiting for the ball, and an International on the wing - so either hoof it up, or play it wide and go forward.

We haven't had a penalty since I can remember (because we pose no threat in the box), our shots per game are a joke, and until recently even our corner count was poor.

Add to this, individual lack of skill of certain players ......and you can see why folk who have got up at silly o'clock to sit on a coach from Hastings might get disgruntled when training-ground stuff like through balls/bring-downs/corners/headed clearances etc are made a hash of.

All this claptrap about "sticking together" etc is horse manure - the players got us in this mess and only they can get us out of it.

Earn your £5000+ by putting in 90 mins of graft - say what you like about Cousins and Jacko but they put in a shift, while others go missing in games (JBG, Reza).

Poyet wants to be a Prem star - but a Cardiff fella went past him with the ball like he didn't exist.

Lord knows what the team thought of Sonogo when he came on to earn his pay against Cardiff - hopefully they took the hint.

We know it's too late - and so do the players, but let's go down with some dignity, instead of 3-0/4-0/5-0/6-0.

Rant over.
    That's Charlton, that's what we are as a club always have been and always will be. To enjoy the good times you have to have the crap as well, and then you appreciate it more.
    Some of the fans have been spoilt. I remember when we were skint, had a whip round to buy a player for 10 grand and a wall as a toilet.
    But that's my Charlton and I wouldn't change a thing.
  • I basically agree with you but I think it maybe to late now. I think the protests will just carry on and this will hinder any real bond between the fans and the team developing, particularly at home matches. We may actually do better away from home especially as the team look really uncomfortable at the valley.

I have stayed out of the protests for a couple of weeks because I thought that they would make it less likely that we would win the 2 most recent key home games and felt that solid support would be decisive. For instance, it is my opinion that the protest chants during the game can only have a negative effect on the team. I accept that many CARD activists don't feel this way but a lot of people who sit near me have expressed the same concerns.

Maybe had the protests been put on hold, temporarily, we could have built on the fabulous result at Rotherham and got 4 or even 6 points from these last two tight games. Please don't think I am blaming our fans for the clubs predicament, I'm not, im just specifically talking about the last 2 games. But I understand the need for momentum in the protests although for me it makes more sense to survive first and then continue. After all, it's going to be the likely mass season ticket boycott that is most likely to break the board and that part of the protest is going to happen even if we stay up.

The mocking of Reza as well as a few other chants really annoyed me yesterday and seem as pointless as the booing at the end of the Bristol game and the abuse directed at the team at the end of the Colchester game ( yes I know we were rubbish that day) I've never understood why a supporter would boo or abuse his own team. If I'm p***ed off with the team I just leave without clapping.

I'm usually ever the optimist where Charlton are concerned but the last 2 weeks have almost broken my spirit. Having said all that, the last 15 minutes against Cardiff gave me a glimmer of hope, the crowd really got behind the team and we could have just sneaked it. I really started to get carried away and God knows what my goal celebration would have been like, similar to that of the late winner against QPR 2 years ago.

Opinion is clearly devided on the protests, although not their aim, with most contributors on charlton life being CARD activists or staunchly anti-board. But it seems to me that the only sets of fans being 100% behind continuation of the Charlton protests are those of Bristol City and MK Dons because it surely makes their survival more likely.
  • Once again a post has been hijacked by the anti board messages. Rather than wasting your energy on a lost cause maybe you could support the team and give them the push they need.

We will sell-out at Fulham next week - those fans aren't spending £25 to slag players off.
    BUT they are expecting a decent team performance - same as we expect every match, but let's face it.............

We are pony, and some players should be embarrassed to pick up £5000+ a week and play so poorly.
    Look at the passbacks and sideways moves in the Cardiff game. We have a 6ft 7ins bloke upfront waiting for the ball, and an International on the wing - so either hoof it up, or play it wide and go forward.

We haven't had a penalty since I can remember (because we pose no threat in the box), our shots per game are a joke, and until recently even our corner count was poor.

Add to this, individual lack of skill of certain players ......and you can see why folk who have got up at silly o'clock to sit on a coach from Hastings might get disgruntled when training-ground stuff like through balls/bring-downs/corners/headed clearances etc are made a hash of.

All this claptrap about "sticking together" etc is horse manure - the players got us in this mess and only they can get us out of it.

Earn your £5000+ by putting in 90 mins of graft - say what you like about Cousins and Jacko but they put in a shift, while others go missing in games (JBG, Reza).

Poyet wants to be a Prem star - but a Cardiff fella went past him with the ball like he didn't exist.

Lord knows what the team thought of Sonogo when he came on to earn his pay against Cardiff - hopefully they took the hint.

We know it's too late - and so do the players, but let's go down with some dignity, instead of 3-0/4-0/5-0/6-0.

Rant over.
    Summed it up for me yesterday when near the end of first half we got a free kick just inside our area, players were waiting on the edge of the Cardiff area Solly passed back to Teixeira I think who then passed back to Henderson who hammered it forward where we committed a foul ??????
  • Sorry but the bond between fans and club is broken beyond repair. The only way to try and repair it would be to replace KM. Until then we will continue the downward spiral. RD thinks she is doing a good job but at season ticket renewal time even she will have a job telling him everything is going well. Only then may the penny drop with RD
  • Sponsored links:

Rant over.
    That's Charlton, that's what we are as a club always have been and always will be. To enjoy the good times you have to have the crap as well, and then you appreciate it more.
    Some of the fans have been spoilt. I remember when we were skint, had a whip round to buy a player for 10 grand and a wall as a toilet.
    So that was you pissing up the wall on the way home, times change mate I am an old git myself and did all that.

You are entitled to your opinion but this is 2016 not 1966.

Rant over.
    No it isn't. Charlton have always had players that put in 100% for 90 minutes in every game, that's one of the reasons I have loved watching them so much over the years. Many of these players do not do that. Even during the darkest times we could see passion and commitment in the players. This regime has bought players who are just happy to be picking up their wage and playing a few games. Their careers have been littered with moving around clubs and long spells out either through injury or from not being picked to play. The home grown players we have are shattered, because they are too young to have played so many games in such a short period of time.

I don't know what team you've been watching, but it bears no resemblance to the one I fell in love with.
    Charlton in the past have had players that couldn't kick a habit. The fact is people can say they are journeymen we hate this hate that don't like this or that but the point of the original post if u go back to the start it states that we should be getting behind the team, give them a lift, encourage them, that's what we as fans have to do during these remaining fixtures.
    There is no pics to being all bitter about what is going on...save it for another day.
  • Whe

There are a certain element sadly that no longer support the club and have an unhealthy obsession with getting the board. Support the team.

There are a certain element sadly that no longer support the club and have an unhealthy obsession with getting the board. Support the team.

• edited February 2016
    for cheer the team or support the team, is that

leave it those who have always sung, the Covered End to make all the noise and then only show dissatisfaction after the final whistle and the players have been cheered off with encouragement, whilst the majority of the East and West sit silently save only for references to how long they have supported the club during worse times and then drift home five minutes before the end? Just want to get it right
  • edited February 2016

Whe

You alright Avery? I tell you what, assuming you are ok, you wanna get that stutter seen to mate :wink:
  • Cryptic
  • There are a certain element sadly that no longer support the club and have an unhealthy obsession with getting the board. Support the team.

Rubbish.

The people who are protesting SUPPORT THE CLUB.

They want the club to do well

They want the team to do well.

They want the team to win

But crucially see that the owners aren't helping the team or the club, in fact they are driving it to relegation and lower crowds all the while piling up more debt.

They, the owners, are the ones who are undermining the club through incompetent management and the team through inadequate recruitment not the protesting fans.

Bit touchy there...