Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cafc v Bristol City - Post match views

Comments

• edited February 2016
    There was also a positive atmosphere from our fans throughout at Rotherham whereas their support was very quiet.
  • Having both Johnson and Sarr on the bench for any game, but particularly a game as crucial as yesterday's, is simply idiotic.
  • There was also a positive atmosphere from our fans throughout, whereas their support was very quiet.

Just like yesterday, a noisy away end, a silent home crowd...
  • Having both Johnson and Sarr on the bench for any game, but particularly a game as crucial as yesterday's, is simply idiotic.

It just goes to highlight our farcical recruitment 'strategy'. This is the same regime that gave Morrison away, sold Dervite and Gomez on the cheap and let Ben Haim go, all without adequate replacements.
  • Oh what would give to have (e.g.) Tomlin and Freeman running our advanced midfield, even if they do sound like an upmarket food emporium partnership or a firm of accountants .. I am surprised that Freeman is still at city .. perhaps a shrewdy such as Dyche is 'after' him or Tomlin
  • Free kick one yard outside area 1+18 =19
    19-10 yards from ball = 9
    Penalty spot =12
    Six yard area = 6
    Halfway between 12 and 6 =9
    Why was the wall allowed to be 1 yard behind penalty spot =11
    19-11= 8

Can't any of our players point that out to the ref .

Not that it matters we still wouldn't have scored

Great numbers and support from Bristol city , proper away contingent

100% Down

100% Roland out

Because the ref is never going to change his mind anyway.
    Surely if one of our players pointed out the logistics of where he'd marked out the free kick too to where it should be the ref would have to concede that he is clearly wrong ....

• Oh what would give to have (e.g.) Tomlin and Freeman running our advanced midfield, even if they do sound like an upmarket food emporium partnership or a firm of accountants .. I am surprised that Freeman is still at city .. perhaps a shrewdy such as Dyche is 'after' him or Tomlin

Luke Freeman, released by Charlton aged 11

I'm surprised we didn't buy him back during that period of re-signing former youth players (Wilson, Green, Haynes)
  • Bradley Dack released from Charlton aged 15
  • Sponsored links:

Penalty spot =12
    Six yard area = 6
    19-11= 8

100% Down

100% Roland out

Exactly oohaah. I was having kittens pointing that out to my boy when they were setting up their wall. Refereeing basics but they can't eve get that right! So annoying
    Penalty spot =12
    Six yard area = 6
    19-11= 8

100% Down

100% Roland out

Perhaps the FA might wish to respond to the indisputable logic of this - and send the Ref on a basic numeracy course. Don't think it would have made any difference - JBG was clearly throwing his toys out of the pram yesterday.
  • From "Red and the Black" by Stendhal: "Rich men with big ideas seek amusement and not results from their private undertakings"

• dallas said:

iam sorry to say fox is a league 2 player we sold R Wiggins on fox having 4 good games when Wiggins had a broken foot

Don't want to get on the back of a youngster - but I'm afraid the basic decision making speed is just not there - THD is the much better prospect at this level.
  • sm said:

dallas said:

iam sorry to say fox is a league 2 player we sold R Wiggins on fox having 4 good games when Wiggins had a broken foot

Don't want to get on the back of a youngster - but I'm afraid the basic decision making speed is just not there - THD is the much better prospect at this level.
    THD probably better on the ball but not sure he's better defensively. Maybe he should be given a run of games though....he might improve that side of his game.
    Penalty spot =12
    Six yard area = 6
    19-11= 8

100% Down

100% Roland out

Exactly oohaah. I was having kittens pointing that out to my boy when they were setting up their wall. Refereeing basics but they can't eve get that right! So annoying
    In some cases, the attacking team does not want the opposing wall to be back the full 10 yards; it being easier to get the ball over the wall and dip below the bar than had the wall been back the full 10 yards. Maybe this is why the Charlton players did not "challenge" the referee.
  • If Reza concentrated on staying on his feet instead of going to ground whenever somebody gets near him referees might look at it a bit differently, he spends more time on his arse than he does on his feet,,,,,,,oh and is not up to scratch to play in this league or even the next one we are likely to be in. Thought it was the managers job to motivate the players, why was NOBODY in the team (maybe with exception of Cousins) prepared to show a bit of fight, they seem to have forgotten the reason why they play for CAFC. Why all the praise for Scott Wagstaff on here, he is just another of those players we have produced who never fulfilled their potential......Lloyd Sam, Harriott, Piggott, Grant (albeit his two goal against the spanners does earn him some credit) amongst others.
  • Bunch of bottlers.

Having said that though, if I can offer one bit of commiseration to the despairing fans, it's that last time Riga was here I remember sitting through what I still think might be the worst football match I've ever seen at The Valley against Barnsley. We were up against a relegation rival in a must win match, turned in a pathetic cowards' performance, lost 2-1 and still stayed up. We just have to hope that the players can dig out a few proper performances before the season's end. It's not completely over.

It nearly is though.

Agree. Time to play a back 5? Solly-Teixera-Sarr-Lennon-Fox (or Bergdich)?

Steady the ship a little, try and get a couple of draws and then move on.
  • Good in principal but draws are no good. Every game needs to be treated as must win from here on in.

Which obviously won't happen - hence we are gone.
  • Sponsored links:

• At the match yesterday. I can forgive the result and the lack of quality. What I can't forgive was the lack of fight, passion and commitment from the players, against Bristol bloody City for goodness sake.

Different manager, same shit on the pitch and our support is draining away every week. More and more empty seats in the Upper West and those that are there pretty much expect relegation. It looks like the players do too.

I do wonder if there's truth in what some are saying that there are still problems behind the scenes. Given Igor's absence it's hard to understand why the Arsenal loanee wasn't on the bench for example.

I'm going to take a break from Charlton next week and take my lovely grand-daughter to Greenwich Park on Saturday. Bloody Charlton.
  • Anyone who though we would win yesterday and pull ourselves out of the relegation zone within 3 weeks of Riga arriving, doesn't know Charlton very well!
    The fact is, things rarely go up in a straight line, there will always be setbacks. We have earned 4 points from our last three games, conceding only 3 goals. That is a big improvement, and if we keep up that form until the end of the season, we will likely stay up with around 45 points.

That's fine but these games have been against 3 of the worst teams in the league. Have a look at our March and April fixtures - we are screwed.
    We always struggle against poor teams but do better against good teams who tend to play better, more open football. The fixture list doesn't worry me, especially if we can get Vetokele, Diarra and perhaps Kashi back by then.
    I love a bit of gung-ho positivity. Bless your little cotton socks. Mummy isn't tired. She's dying. Be a brave soldier.
  • keep muttering over the beer-stained counter, lads
  • edited February 2016

We always struggle against poor teams but do better against good teams who tend to play better, more open football. The fixture list doesn't worry me, especially if we can get Vetokele, Diarra and perhaps Kashi back by then.

Anyone who though we would win yesterday and pull ourselves out of the relegation zone within 3 weeks of Riga arriving, doesn't know Charlton very well!
    The fact is, things rarely go up in a straight line, there will always be setbacks. We have earned 4 points from our last three games, conceding only 3 goals. That is a big improvement, and if we keep up that form until the end of the season, we will likely stay up with around 45 points.

That's fine but these games have been against 3 of the worst teams in the league. Have a look at our March and April fixtures - we are screwed.
    You will be lucky to see a fit Diarra back by mid April as mettertasals take a while to heal and Kashi won't be fit until the summer. And as for Ventokele he will get a series of minor injuries such as hammies as he has been out for so long. Also don't expect anything of quality soon from Fani or Sanogo as both haven't played for ages.

We should be re- christened Unathletic as Mak and Ba didn't play all last season. Time to dubbing my boots I think :-))
  • Simonsen said:

sm said:

dallas said:

THD probably better on the ball but not sure he's better defensively. Maybe he should be given a run of games though....he might improve that side of his game.
    Currently out injured - now where have we heard that before!!!
  • was a bit cross with Lookman for taking so long to get of the pitch when subbed, someone needs to have a word
  • Such a downturn from last week. Does give some credence to the rumours that Sanogoals and Fanni were not Riga's signings.
  • It was a mistake to use Lookman from the start, he should be used as a sub for the last 20/30 minutes, if not all that natural exuberance and talent will be knock out of him, better a falling over Reza than loose what Lookman has.