Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cafc v Bristol City - Post match views

Comments

• I'm too pissed off to write anything meaningful.
  • Reminded me of the MK Dons away game, two terrible teams, one team scores early on and you just know after that it's going to end 1-0. Almost as though Rotherham didn't happen, devoid of creativity, Makienok seams to have forgotten how good he can be and JBG seems to have remembered his trip to France in the summer again.

Kodjia (sp) for Bristol City was excellent, hard working and making things happen in the final third - I'd say we need a player like that but that would probably involve a level of scouting that's far beyond Charlton Athletic at the moment.
  • Afraid I'm not myself tonight so my usual thoughts on the match will not be forthcoming.

Unlike Lincs, I'm not poorly or sick.

Just totally sick to the stomach with the regime that has brought our Club to its knees and continues to do so, week on week.

I've been called a cynic by a Lifer recently, and criticised by another for defending my views to the detriment of others' opinions.

I'd be the first to hold up my hands if that is the case but I merely say what I see ...there's a useful catchphrase!

What I do see is a Club teetering on the brink of self destruction brought about by an owner who cares not a jot for his "purchase". And will inevitably walk away one day , shrugging his shoulders as if to say " Well I tried but hey, there's always another juicy experiment on the horizon ! "

What he will leave behind, apart from debt, will be the remains of a football club that might just be too far down the road to revive. Most of us can see the writing on the wall and have done for some time whilst others criticise us for denigrating everything "they" do.....

Well, one look at today's performance should tell the unbelievers that the rot emanates from one man , and one man only. And it is unstoppable. No need to list the reasons or areas of the Club that are affected- they speak volumes for themselves.

I was given a great piece of news just before kick off today - one which I believe will please a lot of fans and which I'll elaborate about tomorrow when I feel more upbeat.....and one that will probably indicate a degree of capitulation by "them" and a tick in the "fans' column" on the balance sheet.

But the smile on my face at 2pm today is long gone & I can't bring myself to spread some positivity at this moment in time. Pathetic, I know.

Call me a drama queen , or what you will - I'm big & ugly enough to take it on the chin ( well one of them)

But these are heartbreaking times for the faithful & keeping the faith has rarely been so hard.

Come on @Fanny Fanackapan, I know it's Sunday but wake up and share the good news........
  • Anyone who though we would win yesterday and pull ourselves out of the relegation zone within 3 weeks of Riga arriving, doesn't know Charlton very well!
    The fact is, things rarely go up in a straight line, there will always be setbacks. We have earned 4 points from our last three games, conceding only 3 goals. That is a big improvement, and if we keep up that form until the end of the season, we will likely stay up with around 45 points.
  • I have never heard so many supporters sitting near me being so negative about the team
  • If we had turned in a performance like that and Karek Fraeye had been manager there would have been a near riot, although few would have been surprised. As it was, this was a one-dimensional game plan devised by the new managerial Belgian double-act. Which really leaves me bemused as to how he plans on keeping us up and re-enforces my suspicions that his track record since leaving us in 2014 is a more accurate reflection of his ability than his helping us stay up before he parted company with Roland.
  • Yes Fox is struggling,but he never hid he was always available,the kid run his heart out,how could any full back cope,with the total lack of cover in front of him.We virtually had rwo mid field players ,Berdych and Jbg,did not make a tackle,while Jacko and cousins run their nuts off.We have Poyet unused again,surely he could have provided a spark,do not understand bringing Rezza on,when Harriott is the quicker player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone who though we would win yesterday and pull ourselves out of the relegation zone within 3 weeks of Riga arriving, doesn't know Charlton very well!
    The fact is, things rarely go up in a straight line, there will always be setbacks. We have earned 4 points from our last three games, conceding only 3 goals. That is a big improvement, and if we keep up that form until the end of the season, we will likely stay up with around 45 points.

That's fine but these games have been against 3 of the worst teams in the league. Have a look at our March and April fixtures - we are screwed.
  • edited February 2016

Yes Fox is struggling,but he never hid he was always available,the kid run his heart out,how could any full back cope,with the total lack of cover in front of him.We virtually had rwo mid field players ,Berdych and Jbg,did not make a tackle,while Jacko and cousins run their nuts off.We have Poyet unused again,surely he could have provided a spark,do not understand bringing Rezza on,when Harriott is the quicker player.

Not going to say which one but one of the scouts there yesterday (football before anyone accuse me of grooming) I spoke to after the game, offered to drive Reza back to wherever he came from for us. He wouldn't have given me his phone number even if I had asked for it though :wink: .

That's fine but these games have been against 3 of the worst teams in the league. Have a look at our March and April fixtures - we are screwed.
    We always struggle against poor teams but do better against good teams who tend to play better, more open football. The fixture list doesn't worry me, especially if we can get Vetokele, Diarra and perhaps Kashi back by then.
  • Free kick one yard outside area 1+18 =19
    19-10 yards from ball = 9
    Penalty spot =12
    Six yard area = 6
    Halfway between 12 and 6 =9
    Why was the wall allowed to be 1 yard behind penalty spot =11
    19-11= 8

Can't any of our players point that out to the ref .

Not that it matters we still wouldn't have scored

Great numbers and support from Bristol city , proper away contingent

100% Down

100% Roland out

Because the ref is never going to change his mind anyway.

We always struggle against poor teams but do better against good teams who tend to play better, more open football. The fixture list doesn't worry me, especially if we can get Vetokele, Diarra and perhaps Kashi back by then.
    I hope you're right mate. I'm not feeling it, that's for sure.
  • edited February 2016

Anyone who though we would win yesterday and pull ourselves out of the relegation zone within 3 weeks of Riga arriving, doesn't know Charlton very well!

I'm usually a glass half full merchant and fair play for trying to keep us all upbeat mate, after all we are only 3 points from safety (4 if you take account of the dire goal difference) but you weren't actually there were you. When diehards like @Fanny Fanackapan start to see an express train hurtling through the tunnel towards us after that performance yesterday things don't auger well especially with the run in against 8 of the top 10 sides! Even with Bauer, Diarra and Vetokele back, other injuries are bound to take their toll and it's the mini league you have to win at the bottom, where sadly we have failed miserably. So hope I'm wrong. :disappointed: .
  • edited February 2016

Pondered overnight before posting.

I'm done. That was the most pitiful game of football I've ever seen regardless of weather and background circumstances. It's simply not worth the five hours out of my life to attend any more.

I didn't expect miracles yesterday. Silk purse and sow's ears and all that. But what I saw and experiencesd was a depressing shambles on so many levels. Watching the players' demeanour at the warm up and on the walk out of the tunnel there was clearly something wrong. They didn't look like a team off the back of a thumping away win. I'm not going to speculate as I haven't a clue but something clearly happened. As for the performance, others have already commented more than enough. All I'll say is I'll see a better game in the park later when I walk the dog.

I thought the anti-protesters had gained momentum today. More black and white around me but also more mutterings along the lines of "well who else will we get in" from the siddarns brigade. That in itself was sad and I found myself arguing and getting angry with some of our own. That's not me so I'm out for a bit, maybe for the season and after that who knows.

A very sad and depressing day for me yesterday. A corner turned and a little bit of me lost. Thanks Roland and Katrien.

This struck a chord with me. I sit in the East stand amongst people that I didn't know when I first sat there but, over the years, have got to know. I don't see them outside of football but I look forward to their company and the banter. Yesterday was different. I'm the only one wanting to protest during them game, a couple of the others may want Roland out but don't actively protest and some have totally different views but still attend and others have stopped coming. For the first time we were becoming hostile towards each other and I felt uncomfortable sitting there.

Thanks Roland you are destroying more than 'just' my football club.
    I'm afraid Ms Tatters, that this is happening all around the ground,
    Maybe 50/50 where i sit, but if my family of soapboxes are anything to go
    by (10 CAFC supporters, but only 4 who go to every home game) we don't all sit together !
    we have conflicting views on the current situations, so i expected this Schism and Polar opposite held beliefs by the natives Of SE7 in some cases.

What the Collateral damage to our club and relationship
    between the CAFC folk will be after this, is any ones guess.

Winning at Arsenal, and tanking Chelsea at the Valley plus the two 1-0 victories at the bridge feels like a past life experience now, and not from this one !
  • RedChaser said:

Yes Fox is struggling,but he never hid he was always available,the kid run his heart out,how could any full back cope,with the total lack of cover in front of him.We virtually had rwo mid field players ,Berdych and Jbg,did not make a tackle,while Jacko and cousins run their nuts off.We have Poyet unused again,surely he could have provided a spark,do not understand bringing Rezza on,when Harriott is the quicker player.

Not going to say which one but one of the scouts there yesterday (football before anyone accuse me of grooming) I spoke to after the game, offered to drive Reza back to wherever he came from for us. He wouldn't have given me his phone number even if I had asked for it though :wink: .
    But it was Reza who got into the box to have a shot, then soon after had that run which earned the dangerous free kick (and might have got a red card for their defender). If JBG or Jacko had knocked it in the top corner then we would have got out of yesterday with a draw.

In a game where we posed hardly any threat, at least he did something.
  • edited February 2016

RedChaser said:

But it was Reza who got into the box to have a shot, then soon after had that run which earned the dangerous free kick (and might have got a red card for their defender). If JBG or Jacko had knocked it in the top corner then we would have got out of yesterday with a draw.

In a game where we posed hardly any threat, at least he did something.
    Wouldn't disagree with that but for someone who starts a tackle chest high and works downwards (put the icing on the cake at Udders with one of those and got sent off), these guys were giving their professional opinion and have watched him on more than one occasion, so I'll side with them on this one. Oh and by the way that's 4 points now from the last 12. It just goes to show how poor we were when you major in on Reza gaining a free kick late in the game. If my aunt had balls and Hendo had saved the penalty, know what I mean Arry :wink: .
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:

Anyone who though we would win yesterday and pull ourselves out of the relegation zone within 3 weeks of Riga arriving, doesn't know Charlton very well!

I'm usually a glass half full merchant and fair play for trying to keep us all upbeat mate, after all we are only 3 points from safety (4 if you take account of the dire goal difference) but you weren't actually there were you. When diehards like @Fanny Fanackapan start to see an express train hurtling through the tunnel towards us after that performance yesterday things don't auger well especially with the run in against 8 of the top 10 sides! Even with Bauer, Diarra and Vetokele back, other injuries are bound to take their toll and it's the mini league you have to win at the bottom, where sadly we have failed miserably. So hope I'm wrong. :disappointed: .
    No I wasn't there yesterday. But I was at the Bolton, Wolves, Forest and Colchester games and watched the Rotherham game live on the Internet. We have been dire. But I saw what we were capable of early in the season and also last week. We have some very talented players, but unfortunately most of those have been long term injury victims. We need those players back and we need a decent manager and some stability. I'm hopeful those players will soon return and Riga will bring the required stability and organisation to the team. We still have the time that is required, but we won't achieve anything unless the Valley crowd becomes our 12th man, as it has in the past. We have to be optimistic, being depressed and defeatist will only bring us guaranteed relegation.
  • edited February 2016

RedChaser said:

No I wasn't there yesterday. But I was at the Bolton, Wolves, Forest and Colchester games and watched the Rotherham game live on the Internet. We have been dire. But I saw what we were capable of early in the season and also last week. We have some very talented players, but unfortunately most of those have been long term injury victims. We need those players back and we need a decent manager and some stability. I'm hopeful those players will soon return and Riga will bring the required stability and organisation to the team. We still have the time that is required, but we won't achieve anything unless the Valley crowd becomes our 12th man, as it has in the past. We have to be optimistic, being depressed and defeatist will only bring us guaranteed relegation.
    Riga's reappointment gave me a glimmer of hope as did last week's result but if you had been at Udders, Hull and there yesterday I doubt whether your outlook would be so upbeat. I'm not depressed or a defeatist, far from it but I am a realist! The Murray 'experienced Championship' January transfer window signings, none of whom played yesterday, give rise for optimism either (Poyet might be ok if he finds his mojo). As for Sanogo and Fanni, I'll keep my powder dry for the time being.
  • iam sorry to say fox is a league 2 player we sold R Wiggins on fox having 4 good games when Wiggins had a broken foot
  • Clueless today, all last weeks good work out the window. We are a joke under this regime and will go down.

The decision to loan out Watt and take on a new forward who is apperantly injured seems another top managerial decision.

Sadly Lookman was totally a wasted today and seemed to be continually been given advice from the bench, not played in the right position particularly second half imo, don't have a clue what Riga was doing.

Thought we would bombard them late on, to bring Ba on was a joke.

A game we needed to win and we hardly had an effort at goal. Many challenges bottled particularly by Gudmundson and Fox was back to his normal pathetic self.

Pinocchio was walking around by the shop before the game, if she was a bloke I would probably have hit her.

The whole set up is rotten to the core and all those staff who continue to back the regime are mad and sadly many will probably loose their jobs next year as further cutbacks will be made to cut costs.

Squirrel face does it on purpose to antagonise people.
  • Please can someone that was there enlighten me but when I say the highlights from the Rotherham game it looked like they had several chances and could have scored three or four themselves?

They missed a penalty that would have put the just one goal behind against a side with no confidence and the worst defence in world football. Our last goal came in the 5th minute of injury time when we were two goals in front.

I was ecstatic with the result but did we actually play well and deserve a thumping result or was it just that we had all the luck on the day?

That's a genuine question as I wasn't at Rotherham and didn't realise that there was an Internet stream.

Thanks.
  • Main difference to me between us and Bristol City is:
    They get Lee Tomlin on loan, we get Sanogo and Fanni
    who are not even considered fit or good enough for the bench.
    Was that a wind-up Fraeya commenting he was after Tomlin and Kermogant.
    Never going to happen with KM's budget and Duchatelet in charge.
    We badly need the Belgians to go much sooner rather than later!
  • Rotherham was a good game of football imo - quite open and both teams created chances. For once we took ours. Pen was the clincher - if they had scored it, would probably have been a draw at best.