Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cafc v Bristol City - Post match views

Comments

• There is no way we should be starting a 17 year old in a relegation battle - surely he is the type of player that should be doing the last 25-30 minutes?
  • Don't forget we gave a kid his debut when we were 5-0 down away from home.
  • Watched the game yesterday. I think that it was unfair to boo Fox. He should not have been singled out because I think the whole team were awful. Booing the team as a whole is more effective if that is what you want to achieve. It would show that they were not up to it. Booing an individual makes it personal. How can we expect him to give it his all next time he wears the shirt. I don't think he purposely had a bad game.
    Players are picked by the manager in our case Coach. It appears that sometimes that's not the case at CAFC as per SCP chat on radio.
    Fraye was blamed rightly so in his tenure and I think that Riga has to to carry the can now especially for yesterday's performance.
    Until we can get a Manager who has a real influence in his player recruitment we are going to carry on the same to league 2.
    Can you imagine our foreign imports surviving in League 1 when they struggle to play Championship football.
    RD & his cronies are ruining this club with his vision to make money.
    He is like a person addicted to gambling is convinced he can get the better of the bookies.
    Call me a cynic but at the beginning of the season I was convinced that we were going to do well and was really shocked about the odds for us to get relegated. If I'm not mistaken don't odds reflect on the amount of money that is bet on certain events.
    I wonder who put a wedge on us going down..........???
  • Having been to Ashton Gate on Boxing Day I can say Bristol City deserved at least 4 points from our 2 games. We were lucky to get 1. End of.
    I thought we were not one of the worst 3 teams/squads/clubs in the Championship. We are, will be relegated and I was wrong.
  • Anyone who though we would win yesterday and pull ourselves out of the relegation zone within 3 weeks of Riga arriving, doesn't know Charlton very well!
    The fact is, things rarely go up in a straight line, there will always be setbacks. We have earned 4 points from our last three games, conceding only 3 goals. That is a big improvement, and if we keep up that form until the end of the season, we will likely stay up with around 45 points.

That's fine but these games have been against 3 of the worst teams in the league. Have a look at our March and April fixtures - we are screwed.
    We always struggle against poor teams but do better against good teams who tend to play better, more open football. The fixture list doesn't worry me, especially if we can get Vetokele, Diarra and perhaps Kashi back by then.
    I love a bit of gung-ho positivity. Bless your little cotton socks. Mummy isn't tired. She's dying. Be a brave soldier.
    May I congratulate you on the correct use/spelling of the adjective 'gung ho'!!
  • Posting late but have yet to calm down. I seriously hope we don't get another Twitter from JJ asking us how much the team needs us to support them, fuck a duck that was beyond abysmal once again no chances created therefore no hope of a goal. Clearly Bristol are no great shakes but well deserved their win, working Henderson a number of times in the second half whereas all we did is wear out the centre line, not may teams have their goalie as their playmaker but we have managed that.

Too many players not up to the mark, don't know whether it's lack of confidence or just not good enough but one way or the other you cannot see this lot staying in the division now. Not sure if anyone else has posted this but a central midfield of JJ and JC is not working I am a bit flummoxed as to why Poyet isn't getting a look in, unless he has deteriorated drastically, what I recall is a player who can put his foot on the ball and distribute it accurately, which is more than the others (JC excepted still like the lad) can do.

Fox took a lot of stick which is sad to hear but fundamentally he's really not up to the mark and is often a liability it would appear that most teams have worked this out and pressure his side of the pitch constantly.

A deeply depressing afternoon we are now in freefall and only a miracle will change that situation. League 1 here we come and judging by that performance we will struggle there as well.

We probably didn't deserve very much but nor did Bristol for that matter. The only way they were going to score was a penalty and the same could be said for us had we got one. By the way both sides played it should have finished 0-0. That said a 0-0 or any kindof draw would not have beeb too good for us.
  • Yeah you are probably right AddickFC81 but at least they attackeed our goal and made Henderson work we didn't and on that basis I would say they shaded it. What is more depressing is that we haven't had any of the better teams down The Valley yet (apart from Hull and that seems a lifetime ago) so I am expecting a good few more hammerings.
  • Anyone who though we would win yesterday and pull ourselves out of the relegation zone within 3 weeks of Riga arriving, doesn't know Charlton very well!
    The fact is, things rarely go up in a straight line, there will always be setbacks. We have earned 4 points from our last three games, conceding only 3 goals. That is a big improvement, and if we keep up that form until the end of the season, we will likely stay up with around 45 points.

That's fine but these games have been against 3 of the worst teams in the league. Have a look at our March and April fixtures - we are screwed.
    We always struggle against poor teams but do better against good teams who tend to play better, more open football. The fixture list doesn't worry me, especially if we can get Vetokele, Diarra and perhaps Kashi back by then.
    I love a bit of gung-ho positivity. Bless your little cotton socks. Mummy isn't tired. She's dying. Be a brave soldier.
    May I congratulate you on the correct use/spelling of the adjective 'gung ho'!!
    Except it's not gung ho optimism at all is it? Had it not been for an extremely dodgy penalty decision on Saturday, we could be sitting today only 1 point from safety (plus inferior goal difference) with 48 points still to play for.
    More like mildly optimistic in light of the fact that we haven't even had a proper manager for much of the season, until now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Have to say, apart from our trials and tribulations, the general standard in this league this year is utter tripe. We've been abysmal and we are still not completely adrift. I can't remember the last time I saw a team down the valley that I thought were any good. Preston and Udders were organised and i thought we mugged Hull but the rest have been utter cack
  • Not often you can say they could have put 11 outfield players and no keeper and potentially got a better result.

Riga cant work miracles but you would have hoped for more than that. The main issue is that our signings once again are dog shit and our board too incompetent to fix it.
  • Queensland Addick said: Except it's not gung ho optimism at all is it? Had it not been for an extremely dodgy penalty decision on Saturday, we could be sitting today only 1 point from safety (plus inferior goal difference) with 48 points still to play for.
    More like mildly optimistic in light of the fact that we haven't even had a proper manager for much of the season, until now.

Of course one definition of an optimist is somebody who has absolutely no idea how bad things really are
  • Queensland Addick said: Except it's not gung ho optimism at all is it? Had it not been for an extremely dodgy penalty decision on Saturday, we could be sitting today only 1 point from safety (plus inferior goal difference) with 48 points still to play for.

Of course one definition of an optimist is somebody who has absolutely no idea how bad things really are

Wrong. I was there for the Bolton, Wolves, Forest and Colchester games. I will return in December as I do every year to see another 5/6 games, by which time it will be three years since I last saw us win a game live. So I am very aware of how bad we have been. But I also saw us beat QPR, Hull and Rotherham live on the Internet. It is a miracle that we have not been cut adrift, but the fact is we are still in touching distance, with a new manager and the hope that one or two of our better players are nearing fitness. Diarra when he has played in midfield has made a huge difference before and seeing as JJ has been way off the pace recently, just that change alone could make a big difference to us. If this mob can win two in a row under Fraeye, then they can certainly do that under Riga.
  • edited February 2016

Don't forget we gave a kid his debut when we were 5-0 down away from home.

and he was a late late star of the show ((:>) .. where was he on Saturday ?
  • Fox was dreadful
    Reza is a disgrace
    Our attack is about as threatening as a new born baby

Wrong. I was there for the Bolton, Wolves, Forest and Colchester games. I will return in December as I do every year to see another 5/6 games, by which time it will be three years since I last saw us win a game live. So I am very aware of how bad we have been. But I also saw us beat QPR, Hull and Rotherham live on the Internet. It is a miracle that we have not been cut adrift, but the fact is we are still in touching distance, with a new manager and the hope that one or two of our better players are nearing fitness. Diarra when he has played in midfield has made a huge difference before and seeing as JJ has been way off the pace recently, just that change alone could make a big difference to us. If this mob can win two in a row under Fraeye, then they can certainly do that under Riga.
    Yes, but they also followed that with 12 without a win, which is just as likely to recur.
  • Having both Johnson and Sarr on the bench for any game, but particularly a game as crucial as yesterday's, is simply idiotic.

Agree. Time to play a back 5? Solly-Teixera-Sarr-Lennon-Fox (or Bergdich)?

Steady the ship a little, try and get a couple of draws and then move on.
    I think you have the wrong reason for playing a back 5 ?

Your two wing backs need to be good attackers, (unless you just want to park the bus) we need wins.

Say THD and Solly, with two of your 3 CB being mobile enough to cover when they go forward,

This would have been a great system for Francis and Wiggins.
    two of the best attacking wing backs around.
  • Bradley Dack released from Charlton aged 15

Didn't we release Jordon Ibe at 14?
  • Big_Bob said:

Fox was dreadful
    Reza is a disgrace

yet we scored 4 the week before with 3 strikers all scoring !

Or was that just a dream ?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2016

Not a dream. Two big factors; No Vetokele and playing at home.

• Not had a chance to do feedback on the match yet but here we go!

I thought the line-up and formation was spot on! the amount of energy shown today was just outstanding! at times I was sitting in amazement with the ability of all concerned! it was truly a remarkable way to display such talent on the pitch and in the air! definitely for me the highlight of the season so far! I'm so glad I sat in the north upper to get the full effect and view of the overall performance!.

congrats to all the pigeons and carrier bags, and other rubbish who even in high winds managed to put on a great show!

the way that white napkin floated for about 20 mins in the first half was just well I'm lost for words!

Cant wait till my next visit to the valley!
  • Henderson - 7 penalty looked bad but without him we'd have lost 5 nil
    Solly - 7 our only viable attacking threat
    Teixeira - 5 awful under high balls
    Lennon - 5 better than JT but distribution is very poor
    Fox - 2 back to being dreadful - THD is much less worrying despite his inexperience
    Berg Gudmundsson - 0 he can only have put in a performance against RUFC cos he thought he was on for a move Saturday was the equal most despicable FUCK YOU to all his colleagues and we supporters I have seen in 23 years at The Valley he should be sacked for gross misconduct and let him try and come up with a case for wrongful dismissal he is beneath contempt and can fuck right off
    Cousins - 6 loads of commitment and energy with the usual absence of positive contribution
    Jackson - 6 left nothing on the pitch and doesn't deserve to have to play with cunts like JBG but why JJ do you let that turd take any set pieces, you're better than he ever was and surely you can see what he's up to?
    Bergdich - 3 terrible as a left back and worse anywhere else
    Lookman - 6 no service and played out of position 2nd half
    Makienok - 4 no awareness of his colleagues or their positions but plenty of effort
    Reza - 5 lively but lightweight

No need for such patronising drivel is there? There is still room on this forum for the odd beacon of positivity amongst the ocean of negativity, indeed only a week
    ago there was a fair amount of it.
    Sorry for being patronising, you are quite right.

Regarding the positivity - there is a difference between being positive and ignoring the obvious.
  • Big_Bob said:

Fox was dreadful
    Reza is a disgrace

Post Match Views
    Cafc vs Bristol City
  • I agree with Stig regarding JBG. He came to life at Rotherham but was back to his disinterested worst on Saturday.

What's worse ? A player out of his depth who tries his best, or a talented player who can't be bothered. At the moment we have too many of both.
  • I agree with Stig regarding JBG. He came to life at Rotherham but was back to his disinterested worst on Saturday.

What's worse ? A player out of his depth who tries his best, or a talented player who can't be bothered. At the moment we have too many of both.

Because someone makes little contribution on the football pitch are they someone who cant be bothered or are they someone who is being marked out of the game? - He always makes himself available yet the moment he gets the ball the opposition rush out to close him down!!
  • Henderson - 7 penalty looked bad but without him we'd have lost 5 nil
    Solly - 7 our only viable attacking threat
    Teixeira - 5 awful under high balls
    Lennon - 5 better than JT but distribution is very poor
    Fox - 2 back to being dreadful - THD is much less worrying despite his inexperience
    Berg Gudmundsson - 0 he can only have put in a performance against RUFC cos he thought he was on for a move Saturday was the equal most despicable FUCK YOU to all his colleagues and we supporters I have seen in 23 years at The Valley he should be sacked for gross misconduct and let him try and come up with a case for wrongful dismissal he is beneath contempt and can fuck right off
    Cousins - 6 loads of commitment and energy with the usual absence of positive contribution
    Jackson - 6 left nothing on the pitch and doesn't deserve to have to play with cunts like JBG but why JJ do you let that turd take any set pieces, you're better than he ever was and surely you can see what he's up to?
    Bergdich - 3 terrible as a left back and worse anywhere else
    Lookman - 6 no service and played out of position 2nd half
    Makienok - 4 no awareness of his colleagues or their positions but plenty of effort
    Reza - 5 lively but lightweight

Wrong post
  • Looking back it was never a case of the players not caring or not wanting to try. I wouldn't say gutless or spineless. But I reckon it was a lack of coolness, calmness and patients. When they couldn't break down what was a stubborn Bristol side that is when we lost composure. That is something that happens more when you are struggling in the league and when the confidence is as high as it should be. And Saturday was also a confdence issue as the game wore on. Sometimes you have to believe in yourself that little bit more. Because I know they want to to well but a lot of these Roland players find this league too tough. But if they can just stay a little calmer we will give ourselves a chance.
  • I have noticed that since Riga came back, we do not seem to be having players going off injured during the game. I know Igor got injured during training, and after coming back after a long while, always likely to strain something. I wonder if it is the extra training they are doing under Riga, and now they are a lot fitter, although you would not think so after Saturday