Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cafc v Bristol City - Post match views

Comments

• I don't understand why he doesn't play Poyet. Did so well for Riga last time ! Is he that bad now
  • Feels like something has happened "behind the scenes" since the Rotherham game. Surely the confidence from that game should have been carried through to this "must win" game? What the hell is going on?

Roland imposed a few more new players on Riga....Riga chooses not to play them. Everyone pissed off.
    More fool Riga for coming back if that is the case. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me and all that.
  • Missed the last few games so it was nice seeing our classy new Portuguese centre half, revitalized Bergdych and aggressive, goal-scoring great Dane perform. Proper shite.
  • Worst game of, ahem, football, I've seen this season.

I actually thought Cousins was good but every time he broke forward was cynically brought down. Jacko ran a lot, effort was there if not the quality. Echo what others have said about the wind. Constantly hoofing the ball in the air, nice tactic.

From my view in west upper K block, arms definitely came out from JBG but it was one of those 1 in 5 it's given. Penalty, but very very soft.

Definitely missed Igor today.
  • Terrible game of Football which should have ended 0-0 (Bristol City just edged it as they were trying to impress their new Manager)

Terrible penalty to give away from Solly, strangely Riga said to BBC London that he didnt think it was a pen but looked really clear from where I was

JBG gave away the penalty

• Feels like something has happened "behind the scenes" since the Rotherham game. Surely the confidence from that game should have been carried through to this "must win" game? What the hell is going on?

Roland imposed a few more new players on Riga....Riga chooses not to play them. Everyone pissed off.
    More fool Riga for coming back if that is the case. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me and all that.
    Rarely does revisiting the scene of previous success (and I say success but it's all relative) end up in anything but tears. Not sure why Riga, or any of us, thought things would be different this time round. Fraeye's midweek bleat made clear that the major decisions all come from Roland. That's not changed in 18 months. Odds on him staying over the summer even if, somehow, we stay up are already diminishing.
  • Poor game, which City controlled after the penalty. We definitely missed Igor today

I think we are set up better to play away as we get more space to attack. When we have a massed defence to break down, we struggle as we lack the creativity needed.

Jackson really struggled today, Poyet sitting in front of the back 4 would surely have been a better option?
  • Oh, and THD has had a knee problems, hence Fox playing ahead of him
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2016
    Let's be clear - next season we will struggle in Division 1.
  • masicat said:

Without reading anything else....We sign new players and they don't even make the bench? Our club is now run by fucking amateurs.

They'll be match-fit by May...
  • masicat said:

Without reading anything else....We sign new players and they don't even make the bench? Our club is now run by fucking amateurs.

Appropriate in the week of Groundhog Day. Suggests there is a gulf between those making the decisions on signings and those running the playing side?
  • masicat said:

Yep. Unfit, squad players is just what you need when you're at the bottom of the league.
  • At least our league position can't get any worse

This year anyway...
  • Good points solly, cousins, tex. Bad points were; the fact that Bristol had a very good defence which they had from the start but we played very little counter attack football which really was the only way through; we kept dawdling on the ball giving them plenty of time to get their defence sorted. Makienok was really the only other option and he did have a good first half but was poor in the second half and these , I think, are the reasons we had hardly a shot on target. Bergdich should play left back if Tariq is injured and Fox needs to go out on loan. We are relegated so let us not be killed by hope. I think jordan should be given a try as captain and give jj a rest and try poyet in midfield. Nothing to lose. Bloody hell.
  • After watching that today, does anyone honestly believe we are not amongst the 3 worst teams in this division?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2016

Liverpool walked out in their thousands on 77 mins today in protest of season ticket price increases next season. What the fuck would they do with going bottom of championship. We need to keep up the protests.

Lot of good that did. They were 2-0 at the time and it ended up 2-2.
    Maybe our protests aren;t helping the cause at our place?
  • We should be playing 4-4-2 counter attacking football against everyone at home and away. We aren't good enough to try anything more interesting.

Poor team set up for me by Riga today. Didn't understand it when it was announced and didn't play well on the field.
  • edited February 2016
    Had cause for some optimism after last week, but was aware that we won last week as much because Rotherham were poor as because we were good. Had a feeling if Brizzle put up a bit more resistance we might not have such a profitable afternoon, and so it seems to have turned out.

It's not really that surprising is it? Tex aside, this is the same threadbare, unbalanced squad Karel was working with. Although we did plenty of business in the transfer window, we largely signed players for positions which did not need strengthening as much as other areas and of our five recent signings (the ones who haven't been released again already), only one was in the starting XI, 2 were on the bench (Poyet apparently now behind Ba in the pecking order) and two were nowhere to be seen.

With Igor injured again we're suddenly back to relying on bleedin' Reza to change the game for FFS. We have one single 'creative' midfielder in JBG. No coincidence he played well last week and we scored goals, but he can't do it all alone every week.

That's been the glaring weakness in our squad for seasons and seasons. Strikers who have scored goals before and after their time here have come and gone in that time. We have signed legions of wide men and defensive midfielders but still we find ourselves lining up in a 442 with Cousins and Jacko in the middle. I love them both in their own ways, but I don't think we win many with them in there on their own.

Modern football matches are usually won and lost in midfield and we are short of the required standard in there imo.

We mostly played a midfield 5 last time Riga was here, perhaps we need to switch to that now to try and make sure we can at least compete in every game. To do that though I think we need Sanogo to be a hit, or Igor to be fit - both far from certainties. I'm not sure what the best combination would be in midfield, what we really need is a couple of quality loans, but don't hold your breath on that.
  • The mood I'm in tonight makes me want to get down to the training ground with a loud hailer. I know it won't help the players, but they can be consoled by their fat contracts and fancy cars and dream about their next move, because if Roger Johnson can get a gig, so can they, so why should any of them give a damn?
  • Poor display and comprehensively outplayed.

City did a job on us, pressed from the front, denied space and broke up the game.

How many testing saves did their keeper make? Not one IIRC.

Baldly missed Igor but that wasn't the only reason.

The wind played havoc but same for both sides.

City just looked better even if the pen was soft and it was their first real attack.

Bottom now. Hope you are brushing up you VV Katrien, can't be long now before Roland sacks you.
  • By the way... Worst game of the season? - Shouldnt that be defeats against Preston, Brentford, Huddersfield. Hull?

Far too many drama queens on here!!
  • By the way... Worst game of the season? - Shouldnt that be defeats against Preston, Brentford, Huddersfield. Hull?

Far too many drama queens on here!!

Not the worst - agree re Hull etc - but the most depressing as it came with a new manager, and a glimmer of optimism after Rotherham.
  • The good news according to the Club is that we're only 1 point from safety:-

"A controversial, first-half penalty - won and converted by Lee Tomlin - proved to be the difference between the sides on an afternoon that was badly affected by blustery conditions.
    The result leaves the Addicks one point away from safety with 16 league matches of the 2015/16 campaign remaining."

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-bristol-city-championship-report-2940967.aspx#QCIGmGcOOfiQX6k4.99

Actually, due in part to crappy goal difference and ignoring MK have a game in hand, it's 4 points:-

21 MK Dons 29 6 1 7 13 19 1 5 9 10 22 -18 27

24 Charlton 30 3 6 6 15 23 2 3 10 11 33 -30 24

Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/fixtures-results/league-table/index.aspx#Y0f3AT3Dkje7GpFo.99
  • No wonder Tony Watt wanted to get away from this shambles.
    Was a much better game against Blackburn when he was included!
    Shame none of our management could manage him!
  • Very boring game. We didn't show well. Still don't understand what the penalty was for we saw nothing where we were.

I think we tried 4-4-3 from the start to be more attacking rather than limiting ourselves to counters. It did not work.

Personally was disappointed with the support today. It's never strong where we sit in the west lower, but me and the boy try and follow the covered end. Today, in the first 20 minutes we had nothing from you. We tried to support the team but on our own, we were chanting Covered end covered en give us a song for at least 20 minutes.

it felt dead.

And then they scored.