Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How many season tickets will be sold next season?

Comments

• braydex said:

Decided not to renew the day Roland sacked Chris Powell and won't be renewing until he leaves the club!

Simply out of curiosity... What do you do if Roland decides to disband Charlton because no one is interested due to lack of attendances etc. meaning no profit for the person looking to buy the club?
    He is a businessman who has demonstrated he has very little interest in the club personally. Perhaps his intentions are to do just that......run the club into the ground, naturally lose a lot of fans along the way so they are not too bothered when it comes to him winding the club up and selling the land to developers. In S.E London he'd make far more than what he paid for the club?
    Doubt it. He's loaned money to cover the operating loss. He'd still have to pay the former directors £7m. There are huge frictional costs in demolishing the stadium and probably dealing with historic contamination and dumping on the pre-1919 site. He'd maybe need to recover up to £50m before he got in front. The only estimate I've ever been given for the residential value of the land is about £12m.
    The Valley is about 10 Acres.

Assuming you could build on all of it which is doubtful because the slope and ignoring planning permission how much is one acre of land with planning permission worth in SE7. £1m? £2m? Let's say £1.5m which would means he recoups the £14m he paid mius what he's spent, the £7 to the old directors and any associated costs.

Place the Valley has an Asset of Community Value order on it.

The figure just don't add up for it to be about land development.
  • Can I ask... Is one of the reasons that people don't go because of the gimmicks like the Sofa and Cheerleaders?

I'm not arsed about the sofa, but if cheerleaders and goal music became a permanent feature then I would never set foot in The Valley again.

Won't be renewing next season, will just pick and choose my games. I will keep my VG going though.

• @Henry Irving said:
    "The Valley is about 10 Acres.
    Assuming you could build on all of it which is doubtful because the slope and ignoring planning permission how much is one acre of land with planning permission worth in SE7. £1m? £2m? Let's say £1.5m which would means he recoups the £14m he paid mius what he's spent, the £7 to the old directors and any associated costs.
    Place the Valley has an Asset of Community Value order on it.
    The figure just don't add up for it to be about land development."

Bit of a left field thought but there would be value in the stadium and training ground if they were to be used or sold to house the first NFL team in Europe?
    *shudders*
  • When things aventually do get better again and the season ticket holders come back after going away because of the current club situation; it's those particular season ticket holders who should have less priority than those seasons ticket holders who have stuck it out through the current club situation. Just saying.

They system can't even cope with knowing who current season tickets are, good luck them trying to sort out a system for priory as you suggest.
    You read my mind, roseandcrown !

• I'll still be renewing... Got a Mortgage now and getting married in August so won't be easy but I'll still be there

Someone getting a mortgage, that is a rarity nowadays.

Congratulations.
  • kentred2 said:

I, actually, think that when it comes to it many fewer people will lapse their season tickets than say they are going to. It is the easiest and, (sorry) laziest, protest to say you are going to do something significant and then not follow it up with action. I suspect that the numbers will fall slightly but that when push comes to shove most will renew.

For the first time ever my Dad and I discussed the possibility of not renewing for next season. It is a bit of a drive to get there, Maidstone United is just down the road from me, I have Sky Sports with half a dozen live games every week to watch in the comfort of my own home. However, when it comes down to it if I don't continue to support the club by going along in the end the club will get less and less like what I want it to be. I'm also aware that if I don't renew it is likely that other things will over take my time and I may never come back to being a season ticket holder and, despite how bad it is now, many of the best memories I have are associated with Charlton and a significant number of those were in games that no one predicted would be 'special'.

I'm not saying that I will, definitely, renew but I don't want to be an ex-season ticket holder or an ex-Charlton fan. My Mum didn't raise me to be a quitter.

You wouldn't be a quitter as it would be an action to bring about change. When that change happens you would renew. Braver thing to do than just renewing?
    Fair comment that.
  • kentred2 said:

I, actually, think that when it comes to it many fewer people will lapse their season tickets than say they are going to. It is the easiest and, (sorry) laziest, protest to say you are going to do something significant and then not follow it up with action. I suspect that the numbers will fall slightly but that when push comes to shove most will renew.

For the first time ever my Dad and I discussed the possibility of not renewing for next season. It is a bit of a drive to get there, Maidstone United is just down the road from me, I have Sky Sports with half a dozen live games every week to watch in the comfort of my own home. However, when it comes down to it if I don't continue to support the club by going along in the end the club will get less and less like what I want it to be. I'm also aware that if I don't renew it is likely that other things will over take my time and I may never come back to being a season ticket holder and, despite how bad it is now, many of the best memories I have are associated with Charlton and a significant number of those were in games that no one predicted would be 'special'.

I'm not saying that I will, definitely, renew but I don't want to be an ex-season ticket holder or an ex-Charlton fan. My Mum didn't raise me to be a quitter.

You wouldn't be a quitter as it would be an action to bring about change. When that change happens you would renew. Braver thing to do than just renewing?
    Fair comment that.
    Not really - it presupposes that not renewing your season ticket "would be an action to bring about change", it probably isn't.
  • Always buy one,and if I can afford it always will.
  • se9addick said:

kentred2 said:

Fair comment that.
    Not really - it presupposes that not renewing your season ticket "would be an action to bring about change", it probably isn't.
    Are you renewing?
  • Sponsored links:

• In the balance for my 3 tickets. It would be cheaper, given the number of games we go to, to not renew. That said, the fact we have season tickets means we go to more games.

We are only recent supporters though (2 seasons since the boy got old enough for games) and League 1 season tickets is very different level of support that I don't think we are at yet.

I wouldn't underestimate the pull of the relocation of the Hammers either, is that next season?

In league 1 I reckon maximum 6k season tickets and more play to watch.
  • I'm not renewing, I reckon if we go down you can take 10% off the current total of this season.

How many season tickets do we have, 9000?
  • se9addick said:

kentred2 said:

Fair comment that.
    Are you renewing?
    I don't know, it's December !
  • C4FC4L1f3 said:

All i would ask is that if you are buying a season ticket to save cash as you plan to go to all games, then proceed but if you only plan to attend a few games, don't buy a season ticket and buy on a game biases.

The reason being is they will sit up and take note of season ticket sales rather than no show season ticket holders.

Do you, really, believe that? Do you really?

I don't think they will take note of anything. You need to remember that they are not Charlton fans. As much as I want RD gone we need him replaced. A third division club with 3,000 season ticket holders and gates of 5,000 will be very hard to move on when the losses ate c. £10 a year and a squad that, probably, needs to be rebuilt t get back into the Championship.

If we go down and suffer season ticket drop offs what's to stop RD selling all the players, taking the money out of the club and then walking away leaving us in Administration?
    Administration makes little sense to me. The preferential creditors are the former directors (including Murray). The rest of the debt is to Staprix, which is 95% him. He'd simply be writing off debt to himself, even if Staprix has borrowed it. The effect would probably be that someone would pick it up cheaper than RD could sell it himself.

The main financial hit from relegation is the TV and solidarity money - even if there were zero ST holders and zero other home supporters in the ground that would still be true. He could lose half the STs and it would still only amount to £1m.
    Used to agree with this... But if we go down then administration makes a lot of sense in some ways... i.e. RD sells everything he can to recoup as much of his loans as possible then sticks us in administration. Let's say he has put in £40M to date, he gets £7M back from player sales and loses £33M. Doesn't sound great...BUT the alternative is to take the £40M of debt, add £10M each year in League One, so one season in he is £50M down, miles from the PL, staring at a bottomless pit and with a club he can't give away as with losses of £10M a year and two steps from the PL we are worth fuck all.
  • I'm not renewing and regret renewing for this season, not so much a protest more a reflection on the fact that I'm fed up with what's on offer and can see no improvement whilst RD is in charge. Having missed the first 2 games due to wedding and holidays I've seen just 1 win and on reflection I'm thinking that was more a case of the Wendies turning up and thinking they'd won before they walked on the pitch rather than a great performance by Charlton - I've become so cynical and jaded by this mob and the ludicrously unbalanced squad that I even started to think that our 2 goal lead last night was down to Bolton leaving Lookman unmarked in the box twice - good composed finishes but he had time to trap the ball put the kettle on and make a cup of tea before firing in the second
  • edited December 2015
    I think that it will all depend on the division we are in and the price/ special offers available at renewal time. Its no longer a straightforward automatic renewal decision, and I would personally need to weigh up very carefully the enjoyment to cost ratio as I'm starting to fall out of love with the club. At this moment I feel they will need to start paying me to turn up. Hopefully , we pick up, get a decent manager and some proper performances and then I will consider stumping up, again.
  • RDG said:

They think you'll be lured back with a sofa and some cheerleaders because they just don't get it.

Someone let them know I've got a sofa at home, and if I wanted dopey nonsense like cheerleaders at football I'd be a Nigel!
    Better still, get a cheerleader for at at home (:
  • I didn't renew mine this season or the 3 that my kids had. First season in at least 33 years that ive not attended a game as well.

I absolutely refuse to hand over my money whilst Roly and his circus are running the club in to the ground.
  • I need very little encouragement to buy one, but I've not had that so I won't be. Realistically I'll continue with picking and choosing the odd game to go to so that it doesn't become a chore.
  • League 1. 5,000 to 6'000. Crowds will drop to 6,000 to 7,000. This is similar to mid 70 s. Club s going backward at rate of knots.
  • Sponsored links:

• Haven't used my ticket much this season. Haven't missed Charlton as much as I thought I would. As it stands I will not be renewing next season. Something drastic needs to happen to make me change my mind.
  • For me, season tickets have been more about commitment to the club than how many games we go to. Buying a programme the same.
    I cannot believe that the owner will not realise that this season is make or break for many of us. Now that we are voting with our feet, he has to change the strategy, sell the club or be resigned to losing his investment.
  • the answer to your question will be mostly predicated on each of three potential outcomes for this season and how the clientele, i.e. the CAFC season ticket punters consider them:

1) Relegation, 2) Promotion, 3) Neither, we stay in this division

Also, the price, availability and willingness of potential season ticket purchasers to cough up the dosh
  • Can't wait to get my love letter from katrien asking me if I'm going to renew my season ticket for next season. Maybe she will call. She may send jacko round with the application form. At this moment it will be a resounding NO. There needs to be a change of direction to get me wanting to go again.
  • And given 2) is mathematically possibleand marginally more likely than me winning the lottery without a ticket, let's focus on 1) and 3)

1) 5000-7000
    2) 8000-11000 depending on the rest of the season which is around half way through

I hear there's a manager available who isn't short of a few quid who would like to show again what a great manager he is and rebuild a tarnished legend. What more could he ask for than winning the premiership with Charlton within 4 years while doing it all for the love of the game. I reckon season ticket sales would increase anyway :)
  • reading this is so depressing .. all this from long standing fans, many with children, the fans of the future who are or are seriously contemplating basically giving up going to the valley. One confession that West Ham at the Olympic could be a major counter attraction, may the Lord have mercy on your soul ((:>).
    A BIG part of my enjoyment through going to away games, is 'the whole away game experience', travel, visiting new to me or seldom visited places , meeting up with friends and contacts (not just at the match), just getting away and doing different things.
    Anyway, 'Confession Time', IF I were still in London, I would not be a season ticket holder, I'd pick and choose my games, there are often alternative pleasures to be had on a Saturday or even on a Tuesday.
    I am probably 'different' in that my choice not to buy would not be determined solely by the present regime and its impact on the club, but more by my faded interest in 'the valley experience'
  • I've started to look at away games more, I think as the boy gets older if he's still interested we will get into that. Got a campervan will travel, got a car will travel. Living 10 minutes from the Valley though home games are our starter. If we renew, we'll go closer to the covered end. We are fed up with not hearing any chants except the vocal away support and when we get behind the team the looks we get from those around us (sit down and shut up)
  • For all the froth about minor issues like cheerleaders (which thanks to the great historical section in the programme, we had for the end of season game in 1998!) or the fan sofa (haven't Burnley got something equally stupid?) it's what happens on the pitch that makes the key difference.

When we're struggling, and not winning much, it's hardly surprising that people are less than enthusiastic about going to the Valley, irrespective of who the owner or manager/head coach is. I'm not denying the massive mistakes RD and KM have made, but I don't recall the same comments here at the start of the season when we were beating QPR and Hull.