Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How many season tickets will be sold next season?

Comments

• Decided not to renew the day Roland sacked Chris Powell and won't be renewing until he leaves the club!
  • I got stuck in traffic last night was struggling to get there on time so just turned my taxi light back on and carried on working thats the depths i have gone to.

at this very moment in time it'll be a no
  • Decided not to renew the day Roland sacked Chris Powell and won't be renewing until he leaves the club!

Simply out of curiosity... What do you do if Roland decides to disband Charlton because no one is interested due to lack of attendances etc. meaning no profit for the person looking to buy the club?
  • edited December 2015

Can I ask... Is one of the reasons that people don't go because of the gimmicks like the Sofa and Cheerleaders?

I don't go to home matches because I refuse to give my money to the current regime. I gave up my season ticket at the end of last season and have no plans on returning until I start to see signs that the club is being run in the proper way. I'm not necessarily part of the RD out brigade, I just want to see money invested in the right areas and for the playing squad to be funded correctly and managed by someone with credentials who can get the best out of the players we have.

Specifically on the sofa and cheerleaders, they are a waste of money in my opinion, how ever small the amount may be.

Simply out of curiosity... What do you do if Roland decides to disband Charlton because no one is interested due to lack of attendances etc. meaning no profit for the person looking to buy the club?
    That'll cost him £7m for a start.

That'll cost him £7m for a start.
    For someone worth £400m (?) might not bother him if he gets rid of a problem
  • My season ticket has been gathering dust since the start of October. I cannot see a scenario where I will be using it again under the current regime so I will certainly not be renewing.

I think next season will be the lowest number of season tickets sold in my 20 years of being a charlton fan
  • RDG said:

You do what Wimbledon, FC United, and others have done. The club is more than a business owned by one man, it's a community we're all part of regardless of our current levels of attachment or disaffection. I don't for one minute believe it'll come to that, but Charlton will not die.
    That's fair enough but I think the issue for many fans is that we're not competing in the Championship and heading back to the Premier League any time soon... If we have to create AFC Charlton then I think you'd have to kiss goodbye to that ever happening again
  • HexHex
    edited December 2015

Nothing wrong with the sofa and cheerleader gimmicks provided the other stuff the club does is right. Does anybody see much moaning about them if we were sweeping all before us on the pitch ? A winning competitive team will mean a happy Valley no matter what crap gimmicks are going on.

It seems to me that apart from what is going on with the development of Sparrows and the new Valley pitch Duchatelet has got everything else horribly wrong. Frankly the only way RD can get us onside is by putting his priorities into making us worth watching. If we're winning the fans will come back. It really is that simple.

I find it hard to believe he's too thick to see that.

I am sure the Football League would have insisted the pitch problems be rectified (and be accounted for in the purchase price) so that leaves just the training ground development.
  • Sponsored links:

• The absence of anything approaching a positive narrative would probably have seen season ticket sales fall to around 8K, as people become increasingly disaffected with the regime. Given the toxic atmosphere around the place, I'd be surprised if they managed to shift 7K next summer. It will obviously be less if we end up in League 1 - the chances of which are now probably a little above 50%.
  • Drove past the local golf course on Monday who have an offer for 9months free membership currently and would love to sign up to that instead of Charlton. However I will almost certainly renew because of the people I go with. If they stopped I would not give it a second thought. I even suggested to them we all stopped and took it in turns coming up with a different activity each Saturday which would be more entertaining but seems they are just too committed damn it ;-)
  • When things aventually do get better again and the season ticket holders come back after going away because of the current club situation; it's those particular season ticket holders who should have less priority than those seasons ticket holders who have stuck it out through the current club situation. Just saying.
  • RDG said:

You do what Wimbledon, FC United, and others have done. The club is more than a business owned by one man, it's a community we're all part of regardless of our current levels of attachment or disaffection. I don't for one minute believe it'll come to that, but Charlton will not die.
    That's fair enough but I think the issue for many fans is that we're not competing in the Championship and heading back to the Premier League any time soon... If we have to create AFC Charlton then I think you'd have to kiss goodbye to that ever happening again
    As I said, don't for one minute believe it would ever come to that. I was simply suggesting that if RD were to 'disband' the club, by which I assume you mean shut the whole thing down and flog off what assets are left, then it would be down to us who remain to pick up the pieces in the way other fans have done so admirably in other situations.
  • edited December 2015
    Two less here as it stands
  • I reckon the 3,000 ghost season-ticket holders will still buy one. Hopefully that'll be enough to keep Roland going, I'd hate to think of him having a bad time of things
  • Never felt so depressed as I did last night, two shocking teams playing sunday league standard football! Seriously doubting a season ticket, would rather watch Ebbsfleet !
  • I'm not renewing- I find it too frustrating
  • My little poll is quite revealing on Twitter. Nearly 100 votes so people may say its not representative enough but shampoo makers use sample sizes of far fewer people to promote their products. ;-)

84% would not renew if asked to today.

• Sponsored links:

• I, actually, think that when it comes to it many fewer people will lapse their season tickets than say they are going to. It is the easiest and, (sorry) laziest, protest to say you are going to do something significant and then not follow it up with action. I suspect that the numbers will fall slightly but that when push comes to shove most will renew.

For the first time ever my Dad and I discussed the possibility of not renewing for next season. It is a bit of a drive to get there, Maidstone United is just down the road from me, I have Sky Sports with half a dozen live games every week to watch in the comfort of my own home. However, when it comes down to it if I don't continue to support the club by going along in the end the club will get less and less like what I want it to be. I'm also aware that if I don't renew it is likely that other things will over take my time and I may never come back to being a season ticket holder and, despite how bad it is now, many of the best memories I have are associated with Charlton and a significant number of those were in games that no one predicted would be 'special'.

I'm not saying that I will, definitely, renew but I don't want to be an ex-season ticket holder or an ex-Charlton fan. My Mum didn't raise me to be a quitter.
  • I, actually, think that when it comes to it many fewer people will lapse their season tickets than say they are going to. It is the easiest and, (sorry) laziest, protest to say you are going to do something significant and then not follow it up with action. I suspect that the numbers will fall slightly but that when push comes to shove most will renew.

For the first time ever my Dad and I discussed the possibility of not renewing for next season. It is a bit of a drive to get there, Maidstone United is just down the road from me, I have Sky Sports with half a dozen live games every week to watch in the comfort of my own home. However, when it comes down to it if I don't continue to support the club by going along in the end the club will get less and less like what I want it to be. I'm also aware that if I don't renew it is likely that other things will over take my time and I may never come back to being a season ticket holder and, despite how bad it is now, many of the best memories I have are associated with Charlton and a significant number of those were in games that no one predicted would be 'special'.

I'm not saying that I will, definitely, renew but I don't want to be an ex-season ticket holder or an ex-Charlton fan. My Mum didn't raise me to be a quitter.

You wouldn't be a quitter as it would be an action to bring about change. When that change happens you would renew. Braver thing to do than just renewing?
  • Can I ask... Is one of the reasons that people don't go because of the gimmicks like the Sofa and Cheerleaders?

I can't imagine so but it's a well worn stick with which to beat 'The Belgians'.

Add in debates around chip numbers, DJs and shiny seats / new pitch etc and there is a lot of distraction from whatever message the protesters are trying to deliver.
  • All i would ask is that if you are buying a season ticket to save cash as you plan to go to all games, then proceed but if you only plan to attend a few games, don't buy a season ticket and buy on a game biases.

The reason being is they will sit up and take note of season ticket sales rather than no show season ticket holders.
  • C4FC4L1f3 said:

All i would ask is that if you are buying a season ticket to save cash as you plan to go to all games, then proceed but if you only plan to attend a few games, don't buy a season ticket and buy on a game biases.

The reason being is they will sit up and take note of season ticket sales rather than no show season ticket holders.

Do you, really, believe that? Do you really?

I don't think they will take note of anything. You need to remember that they are not Charlton fans. As much as I want RD gone we need him replaced. A third division club with 3,000 season ticket holders and gates of 5,000 will be very hard to move on when the losses ate c. £10 a year and a squad that, probably, needs to be rebuilt t get back into the Championship.

If we go down and suffer season ticket drop offs what's to stop RD selling all the players, taking the money out of the club and then walking away leaving us in Administration?
  • I've not had a season ticket for 3 years now (after 20 years of doing so) due to having two young girls and having to pick and choose games as a result.

But I've been twice this season and lack any motivation to go to more games - including travelling it's basically the whole day gone and there's no enjoyment there so what's the point?

Don't think my Dad is going to renew either after 23 years of having a season ticket.

I'd love to get my girls into Charlton when they are old enough, but if I want to get them to enjoy football, we really aren't the way to do that as it stands.

All very sad.
  • edited December 2015

C4FC4L1f3 said:

All i would ask is that if you are buying a season ticket to save cash as you plan to go to all games, then proceed but if you only plan to attend a few games, don't buy a season ticket and buy on a game biases.

Do you, really, believe that? Do you really?

I don't think they will take note of anything. You need to remember that they are not Charlton fans. As much as I want RD gone we need him replaced. A third division club with 3,000 season ticket holders and gates of 5,000 will be very hard to move on when the losses ate c. £10 a year and a squad that, probably, needs to be rebuilt t get back into the Championship.

If we go down and suffer season ticket drop offs what's to stop RD selling all the players, taking the money out of the club and then walking away leaving us in Administration?
    Administration makes little sense to me. The preferential creditors are the former directors (including Murray). The rest of the debt is to Staprix, which is 95% him. He'd simply be writing off debt to himself, even if Staprix has borrowed it. The effect would probably be that someone would pick it up cheaper than RD could sell it himself.

The main financial hit from relegation is the TV and solidarity money - even if there were zero ST holders and zero other home supporters in the ground that would still be true. He could lose half the STs and it would still only amount to £1m.
  • I've not had a season ticket for 3 years now (after 20 years of doing so) due to having two young girls and having to pick and choose games as a result.

But I've been twice this season and lack any motivation to go to more games - including travelling it's basically the whole day gone and there's no enjoyment there so what's the point?

Don't think my Dad is going to renew either after 23 years of having a season ticket.

I'd love to get my girls into Charlton when they are old enough, but if I want to get them to enjoy football, we really aren't the way to do that as it stands.

All very sad.

I too didn't renew, when my son came along. I did buy on a game by game basis for a couple of seasons and have gradually wound it down and haven't been at all, this season.

My problem now is that as he approaches 5, next summer, he is showing interest in going to football but he will want to go to West Ham, like his mates. With things the way they are now, I don't think it would be fair to inflict "Charlton" on him. Another one (two) lost.

He is a businessman who has demonstrated he has very little interest in the club personally. Perhaps his intentions are to do just that......run the club into the ground, naturally lose a lot of fans along the way so they are not too bothered when it comes to him winding the club up and selling the land to developers. In S.E London he'd make far more than what he paid for the club?
  • edited December 2015
    braydex said:

Decided not to renew the day Roland sacked Chris Powell and won't be renewing until he leaves the club!

He is a businessman who has demonstrated he has very little interest in the club personally. Perhaps his intentions are to do just that......run the club into the ground, naturally lose a lot of fans along the way so they are not too bothered when it comes to him winding the club up and selling the land to developers. In S.E London he'd make far more than what he paid for the club?
    Doubt it. He's loaned money to cover the operating loss and capital investment. He'd still have to pay the former directors £7m. There are huge frictional costs in demolishing the stadium and probably dealing with historic contamination and dumping on the pre-1919 site. He'd maybe need to recover up to £50m before he got in front. The only estimate I've ever been given for the residential value of the land is about £12m.