Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Bolton Post Match Thread

Comments

• seth plum said:

PWR

Where on earth to start?

So.

We have an experienced championship manager in Lennon, and the players of Bolton Wanderers, they're away from home, have no money, players who haven't been paid, and are 2-0 down after 25 minutes. So what they did was roll their sleeves up, press us, not give up, get back to 2-2 by half time and despite us hitting the woodwork Bolton could easily have won that.

What do you reckon Karel, Katrien and Roland? Losing a two goal lead is the new 0-3 is it?

No.

You have a club in dire straits, but with people who know the merciless grinding nature of this league who were basically better than us. Better than us for all our bits of flash and moments of decorative play. They were better than us viscerally.

So Karels response is to take off Ademola 'hmm he is on a hat trick but he doesn't look interested and he is small, we will be much better with Simon' Lookman. Jacko, the one player with the kind of experience to make some kind of intelligent on field assessment of the situation 'ah Jacko I will hook him, he looks old, and has very little resale value anyway'. Then JBG a player with a bit of trickery, and some nous the way he was cutting in and searching for something second half, Karel takes him off. KAG comes on too late to affect things, but the biggest crime of management of the night was to INSTRUCT BA TO GO ON AND PLAY FOR BOLTON!!!

The above is true. Seriously.

So? Regime? You can handle all this English football lark can you? If you're not measuring it in results then maybe in attendances?

Oh hang on.

Of course with two weeks to the transfer window we can assume Karel 'mastermind' Fraeye will stay until our relegation at the end of this season.

Positives?
    Fastest goal I can remember seeing at the Valley for us.
    Lookman.
    Diarra.

I feel angrier than usual tonight.

What the fuck were you watching JBG was shit Saturday and even worse tonite he ain't interested, so can go fuck himsel Lookman was injured like it or not, he was struggling in the first half constantly stretching out, Jacko, well puts it in, which is more than a lot others but looked off the pace first half.Where you are right is the shit that came on for them with the exception of KAG,

We look totally dis jointed it appears we are playing four up top as Lookman and JBG, give no protection to the full backs, we are losing the midfield and Jacko and Cousins are getting overrun.However Cousins confidence is shot to pieces.I thought THD, got found out tonite by a experienced winger, and Fox would have been a better option.Personally I thought the manager let us down tonight by not reacting quick enough to what was happening, not always having to make a sub but to change the shape.
  • cabbles said:

We are a very, very poor team, being ran by an owner who doesn't have a clue. We have somehow pieced together a squad that has a few individuals who look like they might be able to play football, as our front 3 of Reza, Lookman and Vaz Te did tonight, but that is more luck than skill and tactical nous.

To be fair that front 3 did look dangerous, and KF and/or JE deserve some credit for that. Both goals were well worked, as were the 2 early goals at Brighton.

The problems are in midfield and central defence, and at the moment we could have Curbs and Lennie Lawrence in charge and they'd struggle to be competitive with the options we have in those areas, largely down to our transer policy.
  • Bolton are awful.
    We did everything we could to lose that game tonight and they still couldn't win.
  • I'd rather have Harriott over JBG at the moment, and that's saying something, God awful tonight! If I see ba in a Charlton shirt ever again it will be too soon! He's worse than Cory Gibbs!

We are down, let's face it! We are a league one team in all but name

#thanksroland
  • cabbles said:

We are a very, very poor team, being ran by an owner who doesn't have a clue. We have somehow pieced together a squad that has a few individuals who look like they might be able to play football, as our front 3 of Reza, Lookman and Vaz Te did tonight, but that is more luck than skill and tactical nous.

To be fair that front 3 did look dangerous, and KF and/or JE deserve some credit for that. Both goals were well worked, as were the 2 early goals at Brighton.

The problems are in midfield and central defence, and at the moment we could have Curbs and Lennie Lawrence in charge and they'd struggle to be competitive with the options we have in those areas, largely down to our transer policy.
    I know but that was my point Killer :(

They looked good, but how the hell have we arrived at them when we started the season with Watt, Mak, KAG and Vetokele as our likely front 4 for the season. I agree with you that credit should be given for deploying it, but I also think that your second point just sums up how much of a circus everything is. Two great managers you've mentioned there would probably rather go and bang their heads against a brick wall than work under this lemon. We're a shambles, what good play we do see or relatively good player we witness is just some random anamoly in an ever increasing sea of shit ownership
  • addick05 said:

Have to say Watt was the most exciting player I have seen down our place for many a year - and of course he scored again for Cardiff tonight; however (and this is from someone inside the club, and no I am not going to name them) that his attitude was poor and disruptive - this is not a one-off; it's no coincidence that Celtic and Standard Liege let him go. The last thing you need in a team already fragile in body and spirit is a disruptive individual in the dressing room and training pitch. I would love to see him come back but can't see it, think he is another one of those sad players who have all the talent but let's it all go to waste.

i guess it's easy to get away with being disruptive when your boss is either an ex-Israel U21 coach or some bloke from a pub team - like to see him trying it on with the like of Nigel Pearson....
  • We are doomed unless we find a midfielder who is comfortable on the ball. Cousins, JJ and Ba are workmanlike at best, we need to replace kashi. With JBG clearly unfit the midfield was totally overrun. People are criticising diarra but without him we would have definitely lost. Lennon and THD show good promise but their positional play in the first half was naive and diarra was pulled all over the place to make up for them.
    Ref was poor, did nothing about Bolton persistent fouling.
  • Not good at all if we don't strengthen in January, Central Defence, Centre Midfield we are doomed. The big Dane up front is rubbish, Ba is rubbish, Diarra is not a centre back 1st goal was a Sunday morning moment from him don't care if he is played out of position you never leave a ball in the 6 yard box. Diarra is a defensive midfielder, play him in his correct position. Feel sorry for the manager not his fault he is out of his depth, it was so obvious at half time changes had to be made but the options we/he have/has are limited although he should have made changes. He should have shored up the midfield as it was totally being overrun, Lookman was class but obvious from 30 minutes his legs were gone and was a mere passenger, not surprised he is a kid doing a mans job. I have heard from a reliable source Mr KF is on £32K, that's what Belgian 3rd tier clubs pay managers and has no chance of a pay rise unless he turns this around, I suspect he will be gone shortly and another unknown faceless European will be appointed.
  • Sponsored links:

• We are in big, big trouble. I don't blame the players. OK, they appear to be crap but the problem lies with the Management. End of story. And, I can't see it changing because the whole club is now run/managed by inept people.

Twice in the last 3 games we've scored goals early and then capitulated easily. That is a really worrying sign as it shows there is no tactical nous behind what is happening on the field. And that's up to the sideline to sort out which is just not happening. If KF is learning on the job then he needs to get his act together quick otherwise we are down.

Depressing.
  • Not good at all if we don't strengthen in January, Central Defence, Centre Midfield we are doomed. The big Dane up front is rubbish, Ba is rubbish, Diarra is not a centre back 1st goal was a Sunday morning moment from him don't care if he is played out of position you never leave a ball in the 6 yard box. Diarra is a defensive midfielder, play him in his correct position. Feel sorry for the manager not his fault he is out of his depth, it was so obvious at half time changes had to be made but the options we/he have/has are limited although he should have made changes. He should have shored up the midfield as it was totally being overrun, Lookman was class but obvious from 30 minutes his legs were gone and was a mere passenger, not surprised he is a kid doing a mans job. I have heard from a reliable source Mr KF is on £32K, that's what Belgian 3rd tier clubs pay managers and has no chance of a pay rise unless he turns this around, I suspect he will be gone shortly and another unknown faceless European will be appointed.

Who with though? The hopeless Ba? Bergdych, Sarr, Morgan Fox? There was nobody on the bench to do that job
  • Im putting Jay Simpson the Orient striker as a signing in the summer! Good player
  • edited December 2015
    addick05 said:

Have to say Watt was the most exciting player I have seen down our place for many a year - and of course he scored again for Cardiff tonight; however (and this is from someone inside the club, and no I am not going to name them) that his attitude was poor and disruptive - this is not a one-off; it's no coincidence that Celtic and Standard Liege let him go. The last thing you need in a team already fragile in body and spirit is a disruptive individual in the dressing room and training pitch. I would love to see him come back but can't see it, think he is another one of those sad players who have all the talent but let's it all go to waste.

Funny that some of us were wary of his possible disruptive behaviour but were shouted down as being negative, anti RD and told that he's just young and was homesick. Personally I'd have him back and deal with him. The owners brought him here knowing his reputation (first hand) and have now washed their hands of it and shipped him out. They chose to bring him here, they should accept their decision,put up with him and deal with it (or at least admit they made a mistake, but we all know they don't do that).
  • In a way it wasn't too dissimilar to Saturday.

The defence played wellish, although Hendo should have saved the 2nd.

The midfield is non existant. JBG doesn't appear to give a flying fuck.

Cousins is poor & flagging, but then he has been the only midfielder all season & it's got too much I think.

Jackson seems incapable of playing for 90 mins, other than on a few occasions.

Lookman scored 2 goals & I'm really pleased with him, but he added little therafter.

And as for Ba. What an absolute joke he is. He's not even professional footballer standard. He's definitely in the running for the top 50 worst Charlton players of all time.

Reza tried hard and achieved nothing again & Vaz Te did bugger all.

Makienok, I think I was wrong about him & he's just not good enough. Looks clueless at the moment.
  • I don't know where everyone sits in the ground and the view from different angles does make a difference, but I thought the defence was shocking as they were on Saturday . Agree with most of the other comments.
  • Put it this way - today we could have been bringing on someone like Tony Watt who can frighten a defence. Instead we brought on KAG who rarely even touches the ball.
  • Sponsored links:

• let's all look on the bright side.........at least we didn't lose !!
  • edited December 2015
    PWR

One word frustration.

We started the game with a beautiful, fast, attacking move which sliced open the Bolton defence like a tin of Heinz soup (other brands available) and Lookman scored (the keeper might be disappointed but they all count).

The physically bigger Bolton players began to impose themselves yet there was a glorious moment when little Solly out muscled big Heskey over by the tunnel in the first half. However despite that I felt an impending sense that the next goal would come from Bolton. Then another incisive attacking move and Lookman scored again. 2-0 to Charlton and all was well with the world. Yet those unpaid paupers weren't going anywhere and gradually their superior physical strength told firstly with a goal from that old fox Heskey and then another from a shot which took a deflection shortly before half time. In typical Charlton fashion a collapse from the giddy heights of 2-0 to 2-2 or, to quote one or two around me, "2-0 and we fucked it up."

Now we come to the frustrating bit. I was disappointed that we'd thrown away a 2-0 lead but thought that attacking the Covered End we'd batter them with more of that fast, incisive, attacking football and eventually big lumps like Wheater's lack of mobility would be exposed.

So what does the Belgian Neil Sedaka Oh Carol do? He takes Lookman off that's what. Then what? He takes JBG off that's what. Then what? He takes Jacko off that's what.

When drawing at home in a six pointer against the bottom side in the division our manager takes off arguably our three most potent attacking threats and hopes and prays we can hang on to the draw a la Leeds which we did just about.

That's why I use the word frustration! Two points lost tonight and I pray that we won't rue them in May.

Oh and one more thing. BDL in his Santa outfit looked uncannily like Makienok and, in my opinion, would have had more impact had he come on as sub instead.
  • Are we the only team in england who can score after 27secs against the bottom club and still fail to win.we had better get used to rd ruining our club because he will not listen to anyone.I think tonight's attendance was the least I have ever seen for a league match for many a year.how many fans are saying that they are not coming till the Belgians go in times of trouble we all need to band together and support the club or it will die.fuck the Belgians we are Charlton athletic lets save the club ourselves owners come and go Charlton are forever.
  • At 2-0 we were cruising, in fact I was fairly convinced we would win until Lookman was taken off. Lennon had a poor game as did Cousins and Jackson. I don't think Makienok doesn't deserve to be jeered for every touch, if he does then surely Cousins should also be jeered for all his misplaced passes.

Funny how used I am to failure, I keep forgetting we let a 2-0 lead slip and don't really care.
  • I must be the only one that thinks that JBG did more than Jackson and Cousins tonight, he knocked a few passes about, as did Vaz Te.

• This is OUR football club & we must fight to keep it that way.

The alternative is not an option.

Unfortunately a lot of people still do not see a problem, and as a result see no reason for a fight to regain control.

It would seem that still, people think we should be thankful to him for saving a club, but all it seems is that he was only postponing it's demise.

• Fiercely fought physical game. Had we won this and Leeds we could have moved on and would have felt a bit comfortable. We're still in the fight but: this is now going to be a long hard slog. We may survive, but its 50-50 at best. Could go down like Leicester in 2007-2008 (IE play quite well in most games and have some individually skillful players but never quite click). Bauer coming back and Diarra moving to midfield are both essential. Maybe even play a back 5 to grind out results. Most of all we need several good defenders in January.

We did - for the first time that I recollect - an elaborate move from a corner on 36 minutes, and, hit the post on 75 minutes. So was luck a factor?
  • Killer & Flash - Who with though? The hopeless Ba? Bergdych, Sarr, Morgan Fox? There was nobody on the bench to do that job

Simple solution Killer & Flash, Sarr on, Diarra into Midfield and play a diamond formation, Lookman was spent and as I said he's just a kid with huge potential his 2 goals were his work for the night, wrap him up keep him warm and ready for Saturday. Jackson as much as he is adored by all (me included) can't play Saturday Tuesday, Saturday, 45 min's and off he goes & ready for another 60 mins Vs Burnley.
  • Shocking how quickly we can switch off after being 2 goals to the good. Second half was fairly dull every attack we had never really seemed to materialise. Horrible feeling after the match, felt like we had lost, couldn't see the desire to get a winner and we are playing bottom of the league. Putting four strikers on the field at the end isn't 'going for it', it's just plain stupid. KF's subs were weird at best. Lookman the only shining light and Lennon as well actually I felt he was very composed most of the time and unlucky not to score. Jackson put in a shift as always, JBG and Cousins shadows of their former selves, Solly not much better.

Got fed up of feeling like this after Charlton a long time ago, something has to change.