Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• edited December 2020
    Well Russell has done all he could with FP1... and couldnt do better than that!!

Hopefully we see him in that No.1 spot come Sunday evening - Long way to go yet of course
  • Just proves it’s the car not the driver blah blah blah 😉
  • Just proves it’s the car not the driver blah blah blah 😉
    Yeah unfortunately both Russell is damned either way this weekend

- Wins the race: Its the car
     - Doesnt win the race: Merc have turned the power down so he doesnt beat Bottas
  • George Russell:

1) European Karting Champion
    2) Formula 4 Champion (first time up)
    3) GP3 Champion (first time up)
    4) F2 Champion (first time up)

I'd wager aside from needing to get used to the car, he is pound for pound a better driver than Bottas. Hamilton and Button both identified him as a future Champion a while back ahead of Lando or any other Brit. Lets see how the weekend plays out from here, but a great start.
    Not to mention the likes of Vettel and Alonso

Of course everyone will get faster from FP1 but cant see George dropping down the order that much prior to the end of Qually tomorrow, not when you compare his times to that of the Alfa, Haas, Williams today
  • Lets not get ahead of ourselves. All F1 drivers are damn fine drivers. Given the same kit/set-up they can all put in a very decent one off lap. The question will be can they produce that lap under the pressure of qualification, and then the further question is how good a racer are they. They should all be quick on an empty track with little pressure, how quick are they when they've got to get past somebody, or have to defend.

As an example, let's look at Vettel. 4 time champion, fantastic at qualifying (when given a competitive car), but has been shown time and time again, makes mistakes when defending and loses patience when trying to find a way pass someone, hence struggles from midfield. Button is another example, fantastic driver when everything is right, but couldn't extract the best from a car when things weren't ideal. 

That's why Hamilton is rightly considered one of the best. Nails qualifying, can extract the most from a car, happy to defend, happy to fight wheel to wheel.

Let's give George a bit more than a couple of practice sessions before lauding him too highly (although I do agree, he will be a fantastic driver), and equally not jumping on him if qualifying or the race doesn't go as well.
  • Lets not get ahead of ourselves. All F1 drivers are damn fine drivers. Given the same kit/set-up they can all put in a very decent one off lap. The question will be can they produce that lap under the pressure of qualification, and then the further question is how good a racer are they. They should all be quick on an empty track with little pressure, how quick are they when they've got to get past somebody, or have to defend.

As an example, let's look at Vettel. 4 time champion, fantastic at qualifying (when given a competitive car), but has been shown time and time again, makes mistakes when defending and loses patience when trying to find a way pass someone, hence struggles from midfield. Button is another example, fantastic driver when everything is right, but couldn't extract the best from a car when things weren't ideal. 

That's why Hamilton is rightly considered one of the best. Nails qualifying, can extract the most from a car, happy to defend, happy to fight wheel to wheel.

Let's give George a bit more than a couple of practice sessions before lauding him too highly (although I do agree, he will be a fantastic driver), and equally not jumping on him if qualifying or the race doesn't go as well.
    Oh definitely... George has shown countless times that he's certainly a Mr Saturday driver and wont be surprised if he out qualifies Bottas

Incidents at Imola though raise questions if even if in a Mercedes whether he can handle the pressure that'll even enter his mind, let alone the thought that he's got the likes of Bottas or Verstappen breathing down his neck
  • Didn't realise Russell is 6ft 1in. Five inches taller than Hamilton - bit of a tight squeeze in that cockpit.
  • Addickted said:
    Didn't realise Russell is 6ft 1in. Five inches taller than Hamilton - bit of a tight squeeze in that cockpit.
    And having to wear size 10 race boots instead of his normal size 11. Ouch!!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2020
    Vettel has off seasons. Like this one.

Hamilton has the odd off weekends. When he is beaten by his team mate.

George Russell is just fast.
  • Excellent recovery drive from Schumi Jr just now, fastest lap, finished right behind Ilott having started 9 places behind on the grid, his first few laps were a clinic on brave but considered moves, and the overtake around the outside of the bumpy turn 6 was season defining
  • It is going to be hard for Russell to finish ahead of Bottas. Firstly, Bottas is a top driver, just not as strong as Hamilton. That is no disgrace. Russell has to adapt to a new car that wasn't built for him. Both Hamilton and Bottas are shorties and he is tall. He also has to get used to the car in a short space of time.

If Russell did outperform Bottas, he would place himself well for a Mercedes drive the season after next. That would either be in Hamilton's seat if he retires or moves to Ferrari ( I think it is something he would like to do if the opportunity arose) or as a replacement for Bottas.
  • Oops... That headshake from Horner when Albon didnt get into Q3
  • AHHHHHH so close from Russell
  • Great performance by Russell, only beaten to pole by Bottas by .026 of a second.
  • edited December 2020
    I’m furious today. 
    Not only did Charlton play like strangers earlier, ESPN have moved US coverage of f1 qualifying from ESPN2 to ESPN news today. And that channel isn’t available on my tv provider. I’ve spent the last hour trying to find a workaround, but failed, so I’m having to give up.
    I can see no valid reason for them to do this and it’s really pissed me off. I was so looking forward to watching Mr Saturday give it a go in a decent car today.
    ESPN are fucking pricks.
  • Great performance by Russell, only beaten to pole by Bottas by .026 of a second.
    With Verstappen right behind too... Gonna be a great race!!
  • Lumped on Verstappen here. Bottas isn’t great with race pace, and Russell also looked a bit off in practice. Either way it should be a good one.
  • I’m furious today. 
    Not only did Charlton play like strangers earlier, ESPN have moved US coverage of f1 qualifying from ESPN2 to ESPN news today. And that channel isn’t available on my tv provider. I’ve spent the last hour trying to find a workaround, but failed, so I’m having to give up.
    I can see no valid reason for them to do this and it’s really pissed me off. I was so looking forward to watching Mr Saturday give it a go in a decent car today.
    ESPN are fucking pricks.
    I thought Romford was in East London? ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m furious today. 
    ESPN are fucking pricks.
    I thought Romford was in East London? ;)
    😂
  • Addickted said:
    Didn't realise Russell is 6ft 1in. Five inches taller than Hamilton - bit of a tight squeeze in that cockpit.
    In a Sky interview this morning he stated he’s actually 6ft 2”
  • I’m furious today. 
    ESPN are fucking pricks.
    I watch it in www.hesgoal.com

You get a choice of watching it in English, Dutch or Finnish! 😂
  • Really looking forward to today's race , should be a fascinating fight at the front with Bottas ,Russell and Verstappen. Wouldn't like to say what way it will go. 
  • edited December 2020
    Been confirmed that Grosjean wont be racing in Abu Dhabi

Also reports that he's been offered to test drive for Mercedes over the winter so his last experience of an F1 car isnt the crash in Bahrain
  • Such a great race in F2!!!

Schumacher could lose the title here
  • I’m furious today. 
    ESPN are fucking pricks.
    I watch it in www.hesgoal.com

You get a choice of watching it in English, Dutch or Finnish! 😂
    Cheers @Stuart_the_Red
    If it happens again I might give that a go. 👍🏼
  • WHAT A START FOR RUSSELL!
  • Well that’s the race ruined. We’ll just be watching two Mercs follow each other round all afternoon. 
  • What a start for Russell, took the lead from the start. Verstappen, Leclerc & Perez crash.