Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Formula 1 Thread

Comments

• Options
    Cant Mercedes take Russell and give Williams Vandoorne?
  • Options
    You would think that must be a possibility.

Let’s see. Still think Vandoorne is favourite but there’s a lot of noise around Russell 
  • Options
    You would think that must be a possibility.

Let’s see. Still think Vandoorne is favourite but there’s a lot of noise around Russell 

There's too many noises around Russell that they aren't seriously considering doing it. Will need Toto to work some magic with his former team. 
  • Options
    If this is legit, I’ll be over the moon.
    I was hoping Hamilton would win the last two races to equal the record for wins in a season, but if Russell gets a couple of chances to show what he can do, get himself his first points and, hopefully, a podium, then I’ll take that all day long.
    If he gets this chance and makes the most of it, he could well be in very high demand sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    By George he’s got it!

Russell Confirmed.

bloody brilliant - and Jack Aitken also in at Williams 
    Thats the F1 news I wanted to wake to... Brilliant for George, although pressure well and truly on

Felt a bit sorry for either George or Vandoorne had they not got it, especially the latter seeing he's flown in
  • Options
    By George he’s got it!

Russell Confirmed.

Thats the F1 news I wanted to wake to... Brilliant for George, although pressure well and truly on

Felt a bit sorry for either George or Vandoorne had they not got it, especially the latter seeing he's flown in
    It was also be very interesting to see how good Bottas / Russell actually are.

Russell has been racing all year, has tested the car, done loads of sim work and knows the team.

Especially if we have two races it will be a good guide in the whole conundrum of how good Hamilton, Bottas, Russell all actually are 
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    By George he’s got it!

Russell Confirmed.

Russell has been racing all year, has tested the car, done loads of sim work and knows the team.

Especially if we have two races it will be a good guide in the whole conundrum of how good Hamilton, Bottas, Russell all actually are 
    Yeah unfortunately if Russell does get a win you know the comments will be; "See it is the car that makes the driver"

Hamilton too will no doubt get the usual accusations thrown his way

Although knowing Russell's luck this is where he gets two DNFs and Aitken (Is he any good?) gets in the points for Williams
  • Options
    Mick Schumacher confirmed at Haas for next season now too. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They they will have to disinfect Hamilton’s car before Russell can get in and give it a spin 😉
  • Options
    Solidgone said:
    They they will have to disinfect Hamilton’s car before Russell can get in and give it a spin 😉
    They'll also have to put George's CD's in the stereo.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    By George he’s got it!

Russell Confirmed.

Don’t know what his odds are, but if they haven’t come in too much I’d suggest lumping on Verstappen this weekend.
    (I want Russell to do well, but I don’t think he’ll get the win.)
  • Options
    Really hope he makes the most of his opportunity, would love to see him on the podium.

Am trying to think of the last season there were 3 different brits who finished in the top 3 at some point. 
  • Options
    I'm expecting a completely ridiculous race on Sunday , driver changes and the unknown of this " Outer" layout could produce something spectacular.

• Options
    Really hope he makes the most of his opportunity, would love to see him on the podium.

Am trying to think of the last season there were 3 different brits who finished in the top 3 at some point. 
    Hamilton | Norris | Albon already if you want to ignore the fact that Alex represents under the Thai Flag
  • Options
    The lack of aerodynamic load requirement across what is not far short of an oval will lead to a race more akin to Monza. 53-4 second laptimes will mean a fraction between cars on the grid. 

Think McLaren, Renault and RP will be right in it.

Ferrari will be a horror show with their lack of power
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Maybe Mercedes threatened Williams with engine withdrawal or promised an engine deal extension. Russell has been elevating Williams to the point where they make Q2 sometimes and now have a realistic chance of gaining points, which they dearly need, so you can't imagine they would be happy.
  • Options
    I read that Russell is part of the Mercedes junior drivers program. I guess they are sort of loaned out?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I read that Russell is part of the Mercedes junior drivers program. I guess they are sort of loaned out?
    Yeah, same with how Schumacher has been loaned to Haas by Ferrari
  • Options
    Yeah, same with how Schumacher has been loaned to Haas by Ferrari
    Haas are going struggle mightily with their driver selection for next year.

With costs as they are, I realise that I will never get this, but F1 should be the best of the best. 

Take a look at the junior careers of the following:

1) Hamilton
    2) Rosberg
    3) Leclerc
    4) Verstappen
    5) Hulkenberg
    6) Perez
    7) Bottas
    8) Norris 
    9) Russell

Every single one of those drivers either won or were right in the sharp end of F2 in their FIRST year in it. Straight up into F1. Or they didn’t even need it and went straight into F1 from F3. Usually if you need two years in it your miss the boat. 

Mazepin’s junior record compared to the elite is hopeless. Like Latifi we all know why he is there.

Now Schumacher.... well he’s winning F2 I hear?

Well let’s take a closer look:

Formula 4. First step out of karts. 12th (being involved with the junior motorsport ladder that would normally be end of the road).

But no. He gets a second stab. Still doesn’t win it.

But somehow gets an F3 seat. Miles off - 12th. Gets a second stab - wins it this time in a fair bit of controversy around special favours.

F2. Prove your mettle straight up like all your peers. 12th.

Hes better than Mazepin but not much. 

People say Hamilton’s privileged yet fawn over this kid. Neither of the Haas drivers should be anywhere near F1 in my view but that’s the issue with the sport at present 

• Options
    Oh Haas are in for one hell of a struggle, if Kevin and Romain can't develop that car to get it regularly up the grid then 2 rookies don't stand a chance. They'll be propping up the back of the field with Latifi. 

Gunther has had to take the 2 guys with the biggest chequebooks , they're probably hoping to attract some sponsors off the Schumacher name and Mazepins family wealth will probably see Uralkali plastered all over the car. 
  • Options
    @DamoNorthStand thanks for that insight into Mazepin and Schumacher's junior careers

Out of curiosity who do you think would have been better choices for Haas?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    @DamoNorthStand thanks for that insight into Mazepin and Schumacher's junior careers

This is the problem - the lack of financial spread up and down the pits (Ferrari's bent deal with the FIA is a disgrace and that money should be distributed more evenly) has left Haas between a rock and a hard place.

Perez brings money from the Mexican government and is actually good. Maybe it wasnt enough money? I would understand if they had one pay driver and one on talent to get the points. Say a MS and Hulkenberg / Perez.

But seems as though even that isnt enough.

Makes me wonder if Perez is holding out for Red Bull.
  • Options

This is the problem - the lack of financial spread up and down the pits (Ferrari's bent deal with the FIA is a disgrace and that money should be distributed more evenly) has left Haas between a rock and a hard place.

Perez brings money from the Mexican government and is actually good. Maybe it wasnt enough money? I would understand if they had one pay driver and one on talent to get the points. Say a MS and Hulkenberg / Perez.

Yeah I thought you'd have gone for that choice of line up - It was fun watching the F2 on Sunday morning, especially the battle between Schumacher and Mazepin, see that being costly a lot of the time as bet they cant afford to take those risks in F1

I'm still undecided as to which way Red Bull will go, I like Perez and he does deserve a drive next year but hope they keep faith in Alex Albon in all honesty - Unfortunately the latter will no doubt be painted as the bad guy stealing SP's seat by a lot of fans when he's got no control over it
  • Options

I was thinking that but isn't RB partly owned by a Thai family, could be connections there? Especially given he's not exactly performing much better than Gasly did.
  • Options
    Schumacher isn't that bad a driver, his 12th in his debut f2 season was marred by technical problems and a couple of crashes that he was a victim of, as opposed to being the one crashing into people. I think he'll end up being similar to Perez, consistently fast but not blisteringly quick, and will be able to score regular points in a half decent car. He's not his father, but there's been drivers on the grid with far less talent than him in the past.

As for Mazepin, anyone who watched Drive to Survive will know Haas have the smallest team and the smallest budget, and he brings immense wealth with his father's money, who incidentally tried to buy Force India when they went under, and is suing over the deal to sell them to Stroll. I wouldn't be surprised to see him invest heavily in the team to try and push them up the grid, in return for title sponsorship or maybe a stake in the team
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Schumacher isn't that bad a driver, his 12th in his debut f2 season was marred by technical problems and a couple of crashes that he was a victim of, as opposed to being the one crashing into people. I think he'll end up being similar to Perez, consistently fast but not blisteringly quick, and will be able to score regular points in a half decent car. He's not his father, but there's been drivers on the grid with far less talent than him in the past.

As for Mazepin, anyone who watched Drive to Survive will know Haas have the smallest team and the smallest budget, and he brings immense wealth with his father's money, who incidentally tried to buy Force India when they went under, and is suing over the deal to sell them to Stroll. I wouldn't be surprised to see him invest heavily in the team to try and push them up the grid, in return for title sponsorship or maybe a stake in the team
    Really wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if once Mazepin Snr is done in court if he takes a stake and title sponsorship in Haas.

Haas have always looked a bit light on the sponsors front anyway , bar the debacle with Rich Energy.
  • Options
    I imagine that Haas view next year as a bit of a dead year for F1 with the cars basically rolling over from this year, before new regulations bring in a new car model in 2022. Add in cash issues caused by COVID and it doesn’t look as ridiculous to have two rookie drivers.

Bank the cash from two pay drivers on the basis that results will be crap anyway and they don’t need to develop the car next year, and put the cash and developmental resources towards 2022 most likely with a more experienced test driver to guide development.