Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

'Refugees welcome' banners at German football matches/The Valley

Comments

• http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34132308

Why refugees don't/can't go to Gulf states

So the Gulf states, which are closer to home and already hold fellow lovable, peaceful Muslims are pricing desperate, starving, refugees out of entering their countries and people are pointing the finger at Britain to do more....whilst they continue to treat southeast Asian migrant workers like filth??? Interesting.

I 100% agree that the Gulf states should do more. I have stronger opinions about, in particular, the royal families of Saudi Arabia and Qatar, but I don't want to sidetrack the discussion.

But all the finger-wagging in the world at Gulf states won't do anything to help the crisis.

Whatever pressure there is on Britain is mostly coming from within. People in Britain who feel Britain should do more.
  • IA said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34132308

So the Gulf states, which are closer to home and already hold fellow lovable, peaceful Muslims are pricing desperate, starving, refugees out of entering their countries and people are pointing the finger at Britain to do more....whilst they continue to treat southeast Asian migrant workers like filth??? Interesting.

I 100% agree that the Gulf states should do more. I have stronger opinions about, in particular, the royal families of Saudi Arabia and Qatar, but I don't want to sidetrack the discussion.

But all the finger-wagging in the world at Gulf states won't do anything to help the crisis.

Whatever pressure there is on Britain is mostly coming from within. People in Britain who feel Britain should do more.
    Personally I think we should do more as a country, however letting them into the UK is not one of them. I just don't think we can cope.

I do think we should force the Gulf states to do more and assist them as best we can to find a practical solution.
  • IA said:

Personally I think we should do more as a country, however letting them into the UK is not one of them. I just don't think we can cope.

I do think we should force the Gulf states to do more and assist them as best we can to find a practical solution.
    You think the UK should do more, but not accept any of the refugees.

What sort of things do you think the UK should do and how would these help the current crisis?
  • edited September 2015

I'm not confusing refugees with immigrants, legal or otherwise.

I feel desperately sorry for those escaping the horrors in the middle east. I'm just making the point that the UK is not the first safe place these people will hit. If the UK just lets them all in then we'll find hundreds of thousands going through Europe just to be here. The refugees sitting in Calais have made a conscious decision not to seek asylum at the first place they hit.

The only reason there seems to be some hostility in the UK about taking in these refugees is that the Labour and subsequent Conservative government have made a total pigs ear of controlling immigration into the UK that people now lump the two together. I think if we left the EU and had proper border controls, people would feel differently about all this.

But as I said before, we should take in a controlled number of refugees. We're lucky in this country that war is a distant thought.

I could not agree more but Immigrantion is one most talked in politics at the moment about and we simply can not take anymore in I'm afraid.

If we let anymore in, more will want to invade Calais and attempt to make it in the UK. We need to follow the same what Australia did when immigrants tried to sail ashore to the island, otherwise this situation will only get worse.

Many that come are from Eritrea, Somalia, Nigeria, The Gambia or Senegal. They are not all from Syria.

• I agree too. The cash rich Gulf states should absolutely do more but in the meantime we should do everything possible to help these people.

I phoned my doctors yesterday (2 Sept) to make an appointment. I was given one for next Thursday (10th).

I can't really argue against your basic stance except to say if you honestly think that allowing thousands of people into this country, many of whom will have complex medical problems, will do anything but exacerbate the pressures on our NHS then you are in cloud cuckoo land.

Honestly, the public services in this country cannot cope with a huge influx of new migrants. That may be unpalatable to you but I'm sorry but that is the truth. And I for one think it is far time we faced up to this fact.
    Well i don't want to see anymore children ( or adults) dying . None of us are going to suffer significantly or comparatively just because of an "influx" as you put it are allowed to enter Britain but i'm sure there are people who will disagree with that. I just think that way of thinking is a little selfish. I know my humanitarian views do not sit well with some on here but i just put myself on those poor families shoes for one moment and i would hope if there was a disaster on the same scale in the UK that we would get help.
  • Sponsored links:

• The child who died was put on a boat by his father !,suddenly it's David Cameron and the Uk,s fault ! The media shows you the women and children, we have all seen the pictures, 98 percent of those in the boats are males in between 18 -30 years old .

We agree to take 10,000 and get 9,800 young males. Is that what you want me to sign up for !

Then the answer is NO !

Christ
  • The child who died was put on a boat by his father !,suddenly it's David Cameron and the Uk,s fault ! The media shows you the women and children, we have all seen the pictures, 98 percent of those in the boats are males in between 18 -30 years old .

We agree to take 10,000 and get 9,800 young males. Is that what you want me to sign up for !

Then the answer is NO !

The mother died too on that boat . Get your facts right.

Then the answer is NO !

So your point is ! Would you put your wife and kids on a bloody lilo to cross the sea ! I fucking wouldn't !
  • I agree too. The cash rich Gulf states should absolutely do more but in the meantime we should do everything possible to help these people.

I phoned my doctors yesterday (2 Sept) to make an appointment. I was given one for next Thursday (10th).

I can't really argue against your basic stance except to say if you honestly think that allowing thousands of people into this country, many of whom will have complex medical problems, will do anything but exacerbate the pressures on our NHS then you are in cloud cuckoo land.

Honestly, the public services in this country cannot cope with a huge influx of new migrants. That may be unpalatable to you but I'm sorry but that is the truth. And I for one think it is far time we faced up to this fact.
    Well i don't want to see anymore children ( or adults) dying . None of us are going to suffer significantly or comparatively just because of an "influx" as you put it are allowed to enter Britain but i'm sure there are people who will disagree with that. I just think that way of thinking is a little selfish. I know my humanitarian views do not sit well with some on here but i just put myself on those poor families shoes for one moment and i would hope if there was a disaster on the same scale in the UK that we would get help.
    There are children and adults dying needlessly every day here already though - but they're not the media's hot topic this week.

These new people will require NHS, Social services, schooling etc etc - all systems already at breaking point. Surely you can see this extra demand is going to cause a slight problem somewhere down the line.

If they are genuine refugees fleeing war torn Countries someone please explain why they are not accepting safe Countries before they reach here?
  • Excuse my ignorance as to be perfectly frank I didn't want to see the images of a child the same age as my youngest being carried from the water drowned and therefore try to blinker myself from the facts/arguments on the subject.

However from the minimum I had heard they were in Greece and wanted to get to Turkey, what was so bad about being in Greece compared to the devastation they left in Syria?

There are children and adults dying needlessly every day here already though - but they're not the media's hot topic this week.

These new people will require NHS, Social services, schooling etc etc - all systems already at breaking point. Surely you can see this extra demand is going to cause a slight problem somewhere down the line.

If they are genuine refugees fleeing war torn Countries someone please explain why they are not accepting safe Countries before they reach here?
    The answer to that is most are.
  • Sponsored links:

• If you want a banner then best that you make one yourself and take it to the game.

Asking on here will just produce the same old same old.

And make sure it has a fire resistant label on it.
    And provide a rucksack for safe transit
  • I'm not
    se9addick said:

SE9 said:

se9addick said:

Saying "if you support the UK taking its fair share of Syrian/Iraqi/Afghan refugees why don't you let them live in your house" is as ridiculous as saying if you believe in an NHS let them operate on your sofa.

Not really. You can see with the amount of people that have left London over the last 30 years due to high migration here.

More of the Arab countries should take them in. They mostly share the same way of life.

There is a story about people not wanting to get on a train in Hungary as it was taking them to a Refugee camp, again why not go to the safe refugee camp?
    Is that over the same last 30 years that London has become the financial, cultural & political centre of the world ? Immigration couldn't have been better for my city.
    You wouldn't be saying that if you were stuck with a property in negative equity in good old Gravesend, solely down to immigration

**seeing as the thread has moved away from refugees and onto immigration

Then the answer is NO !

So your point is ! Would you put your wife and kids on a bloody lilo to cross the sea ! I fucking wouldn't !
    You'll never get anywhere in life with that attitude.
  • brogib said:

I'm not

se9addick said:

SE9 said:

se9addick said:

Saying "if you support the UK taking its fair share of Syrian/Iraqi/Afghan refugees why don't you let them live in your house" is as ridiculous as saying if you believe in an NHS let them operate on your sofa.

Not really. You can see with the amount of people that have left London over the last 30 years due to high migration here.

More of the Arab countries should take them in. They mostly share the same way of life.

There is a story about people not wanting to get on a train in Hungary as it was taking them to a Refugee camp, again why not go to the safe refugee camp?
    Is that over the same last 30 years that London has become the financial, cultural & political centre of the world ? Immigration couldn't have been better for my city.
    You wouldn't be saying that if you were stuck with a property in negative equity in good old Gravesend, solely down to immigration

Gravesend couldn't be less in London, but I wouldn't expect people that have been gone for so long to remember. How's immigration working out for you ?

Then the answer is NO !

Perhaps if you had no home, no food and no hope you may answer that question slightly differently.
    What he admitted to paying serious money to cross from Turkey to Kos ! The man was in Bodrum, you been there ! It's hardly A war torn shit hole ! This man is responsible for his actions no one else.

• edited September 2015
    se9addick said:

brogib said:

I'm not

se9addick said:

SE9 said:

se9addick said:

Gravesend couldn't be less in London, but I wouldn't expect people that have been gone for so long to remember. How's immigration working out for you ?
    I never said Gravesend was in London, but anyway,

Immigration has worked for me very well (and also saved a few scummy migrants getting anymore slaps for sitting on my van bonnet), but I ain't driving round wolf whistling the local 12 year old girls in my state sponsered motor am I! I still get the odd negative comment from the odd frenchmen though, but I don't get offended I accepted that when i moved here, I was coming into their country; so their rules
  • IA said:

IA said:

You think the UK should do more, but not accept any of the refugees.

What sort of things do you think the UK should do and how would these help the current crisis?
    I'm not a politician or humanitarian, so excuse my basic answer but I'm sure there are things that the UK government can do along with the other major nations that would force the hand of gulf states to do more. Just openly inviting them to travel half way across Europe and across the channel into our already strained overpopulated nation, to me, is not the answer.
    I wasn't expecting a 20 page white paper plan, just an idea of what Britain could do to help that didn't involve taking any refugees. Putting pressure on the Gulf states sounds like a good idea, but it would take months and possibly years for that to have any effect. In the meantime, the refugee crisis continues. And, if their 'help' is putting up a few tents in the desert, I'm not sure that will be a good thing for the refugees.

I don't think there's a single solution that will sort everything, but I think taking on refugees is part of a solution. Putting pressure on wealthy Arab states is probably also part of a solution, but that's more medium- to long-term. They could certainly provide financial support to help those communities/charities in Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey who have taken over a million refugees each.