Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

'Refugees welcome' banners at German football matches/The Valley

Comments

• Refugees from Syria =\= immigrants, whether illegal or otherwise.

They are fleeing torture, enslavement and brutal death. We should take them with open arms. If we don't have the money or school places then tbh they really needed investment in the first place!

It's not about them wanting to come to the UK, they want to go anywhere safe whether it's Liverpool or Latvia. We can't just let Greece deal with it, we need to all shoulder this responsibility.

Liverpool ?

• The population of Britain in the 1930's was 15 million less than it is today.
    to the question raised by Rothko.

Take Somalians, so the people who come into Britain in the last 20 years, were just the persecuted not the Persecutors ?

Do you think the British authorities are discerning enough to tell the difference.

I'm not saying your hearts aren't in the right place,
    but that's why on charity nights on TV,
    People reach for their phones when multi millionaire celebs
    Plead for your money.

• lolwray said:

Refugees from Syria =\= immigrants, whether illegal or otherwise.

They are fleeing torture, enslavement and brutal death. We should take them with open arms. If we don't have the money or school places then tbh they really needed investment in the first place!

It's not about them wanting to come to the UK, they want to go anywhere safe whether it's Liverpool or Latvia. We can't just let Greece deal with it, we need to all shoulder this responsibility.

Liverpool ?

Well, I had to come up with a place more depressing than Eastern Europe to illustrate my point ;)
  • Bollox to that idea they won't ever leave and have bonfires then jump In the back of vehicles leaving just to cause a bit of trouble

I will create a banner saying not welcome

its very true. A real example of that for all to see is the protestants in Northern Ireland every July..........
  • 65 comments already, I bet this thread turned into a car crash by post 5
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

se9addick said:

If the refugees are so desperate, why do they pass through safe countries to get to the UK?

The vast, vast, vast majority don't. Educate yourself.
    Of course they do. You have to cross the whole of Europe to get to the UK.

We should take in more than we currently do, however.
    Trust me "the vast, vast, vast majority" of refugees do not "pass through safe countries to get to the UK".
    I'm not saying your wrong, but it would help if you quoted a source.
    Apologies, I thought it was common knowledge - I'm astonished that it isn't.

Total number of refugees worldwide = 10.5m
    Refugees in the UK = 193,500

Hopefully that clarifies that I was spot on in saying "me "the vast, vast, vast majority" of refugees do not "pass through safe countries to get to the UK""
  • LenGlover said:

EastStand said:

http://england.shelter.org.uk/campaigns/why_we_campaign/the_housing_crisis/building_more_homes/empty_homes

Shelter say "279,000 long-term privately owned empty homes in England". England alone.

The key phrase being PRIVATELY OWNED.

Or are you perhaps suggesting State confiscation of legitimately acquired private property?
    There's another whole thread to be had out of this.
  • I wonder why none of these people are heading to Countries closer to home like Kuwait, UAE, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia etc

I make you right. More suited to there way of life etc
  • se9addick said:

cafc999 said:

Football is sport. IMHO sport and politics should not mix.

This thread has turned into a debate with many positive and negative sides on both sides of the argument. However, the original question was about a banner.

Nonsense;

Jesse Owens
    Ali
    The Revolutions that brought down the USSR (particularly in Poland)

Only a fool would ignore the power of sport in bringing about political and social change.
    See this is why so many people struggle to get on board with ideas of what the left come up with. Whilst they are usually kind-hearted and caring ideas, the way they are put across is often patronizing (eg - calling someone a "fool" because they have a different opinion).

I realized this morning with Facebook that so many people are putting their left wing opinions across in a way that is purely to mock right wing stereotypes ("All these immigrants coming over here, doing good things for our country").

Does my head in.
  • Close the thread it's nonsense, every person is welcome to go to football why does such a big deal have to be made to highlight minority groups does my head in

All people want is a reaction
  • SE9 said:

Not welcome

Vast majority are not refugees or they would stay in the 1st country they came to which in most cases is Turkey. The reason they carry on is for economic reasons.
    The help of Europe should be to secure some land in one of these countries they are fleeing And keep them there with armed forces protecting them until it's safe to go home.

Who's armed forces? Us, the septics, the UN, NATO? I can see that being a raging success.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

se9addick said:

If the refugees are so desperate, why do they pass through safe countries to get to the UK?

The vast, vast, vast majority don't. Educate yourself.
    Of course they do. You have to cross the whole of Europe to get to the UK.

We should take in more than we currently do, however.
    Trust me "the vast, vast, vast majority" of refugees do not "pass through safe countries to get to the UK".
    I'm not saying your wrong, but it would help if you quoted a source.
    Apologies, I thought it was common knowledge - I'm astonished that it isn't.

Total number of refugees worldwide = 10.5m
    Refugees in the UK = 193,500

Hopefully that clarifies that I was spot on in saying "me "the vast, vast, vast majority" of refugees do not "pass through safe countries to get to the UK""
    Conclusive proof......right there!
  • SE9 said:

Not welcome

Vast majority are not refugees or they would stay in the 1st country they came to which in most cases is Turkey. The reason they carry on is for economic reasons.
    The help of Europe should be to secure some land in one of these countries they are fleeing And keep them there with armed forces protecting them until it's safe to go home.

Who's armed forces? Us, the septics, the UN, NATO? I can see that being a raging success.
    Why not? These people are fleeing for the lives. They would be grateful for any protection surely?

• Sponsored links:

• edited September 2015
    I don't see why refugees HAVE to come to the UK, like many have said they pass through many safe countries in doing so, ( you cant get into the uk without passing through Europe) without flying and I cant imagine its for the green green grass of England.

and agree with other posters about football and politics not going together, as someone previously said the lee Rigby issue was scoured for being political as is this. so no need.
  • Rothko said:

Good to see i find it hard to believe that many left a war torn country to go to another in Iraq, nothing on the Countries i mentioned though ??

• Imagine what the 2m people that fled could have achieved if they had stayed and started the 'Syria Party', chants of 'we want our Syria back' echoing around Damascus town hall.

• This is a very difficult subject, and one I have sympathy with Cameron over. This is a humanitarian crisis and I have no time for the little Englander approach where there is no empathy for the plight of these fellow human beings. But unless there is unlimited immigration, I can’t see how letting significant numbers in will result in anything other than more and more people trying to get in which will only make things worse. However, we can’t dissolve ourselves of blame. Foreign policy mistakes over many years have contributed to the mess and we have a responsibility to try to put them right. The problem with the mistakes is that nobody played through the consequences and that is exactly what has to be done now. If we do this what is the likely effect in 3 months, 6 months, a year, 6 years etc…Trying to compete on who is the most humanitarian country because we have seen some harrowing pictures of dead children won’t help. Children have been dying for years with the west trying to fob the problems off onto each other!

For me the big problem is ISIS. The conditions for their growth and power were created by the west and we have reached a point where we have to sort it out. ISIS won’t go away and they will get more and more dangerous as they act illogically and are capable of anything. The bigger they become the more likely they will have the ability to do some major damage to us. So, there is an interest for the west in joining together (good and bad – USA, Russia, Europe China…..) and wipe them from the map irrespective of the plight of the poor souls we see trying to escape. Then we have to support the persecuted people to rebuild their lives and countries. To me that is the only solution and I was strongly against the war and previous interventions, but now I think there isn’t another answer.

Best post on this thread
  • Rothko said:

Good to see i find it hard to believe that many left a war torn country to go to another in Iraq, nothing on the Countries i mentioned though ??

Since we need to provide sources to back up everything we say, here is a map - I've highlighted Syria for you;

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Syria/@34.8149145,39.0464523,5z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x1518e6dc413cc6a7:0x877546f4882af620

The main population centres are in the west (that's the bit on the left). To get to the closest country you mentioned, the Iran, most of Syria's population would have to travel East across Syria and Iraq to get there. Or they could go to the countries that surround Syria (which millions have done) or try their luck crossing the Mediterranean sea, which is the blue thing on the western border of the country and attempt to make it to Europe.
  • edited September 2015

LenGlover said:

Rothko said:

Most of you would have kept the Jews out in the 30s

The population was a lot lower in the 30s so we could cope.

I am very much in favour of offering succour to genuine refugees but there are undeniable difficulties in separating those refugees from other less deserving immigrants.

Successive governments, red and blue, have ballsed this up, whether by accident or design, for the best part of 20 years now.
    The population was a lot lower so there were less people to do basic services jobs. Your logic doesn't make sense. But I agree about successive governments failing to make the investments in infrastructure and housing
    In the thirties there was no Welfare State, in the sense it exists today anyway, so "basic services jobs" didn't exist partly because less people means less demand and partly because people were more self sufficient and, for want of a better way of putting it, 'looked after their own.'
  • Wasn't this thread about bringing a banner to a football match? Jeez.

Everyone has a democratic right to air their views. If you'd like to make a banner to welcome refugees, you go for it, good for you. If you don't want to because you don't agree with it, then don't.