Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

'Refugees welcome' banners at German football matches/The Valley

Comments

• Actually I may just attend the day of action and tell anyone who thinks we ain't doing enough to stop being so stupid and wake up
  • Too many people, not enough housing.

You forgot the word "affordable"
  • amazing howour papers will print that harrowing oicture of that ooor little boy yet wont put a cartoon of mohammed . anyway inspired? inspired to do what ? hold up a banner , not really.

Yes, that as well, most definitely.

and the end of the sentence "in London".

There are towns up north that are bloody ghost towns they're so empty. Now, I understand most of the people wanting to come here won't want to live in Nowhereshire, but it's hardly a case of "no houses at all anywhere in the whole of Britain".
  • Countries such as Syria, Iraq, Libya were places where the western powerhouses decided that boundaries should be drawn and countries made. They then arranged for a powerful leader to run each country, time passed and leaders changed and we ended up with Asad,Hussein and Gadaffi, all these leaders ran their countries with a rod of iron and kept the disparate populations in check. In the cases of Libya and Iraq we helped overthrow these dictators in the name of democracy with the result that both countries descended into bloody conflict which has made a refugee problem, In Syria the dictator remains and as he is not supported by the west he is weak and a vacuum is created which is filled by an extreme organisation and so it is another country of conflict.
    The countries of power should be backing the dictators to run their own countries and so stabilising them and reducing the refugee problem. Dictatorships aren't pretty but democracy doesn't work everywhere as can be seen in Saudi Arabia.

As for the current refugees all of Europe must help them but then so should Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan and India, it needs all these countries to come together and provide shelter for these unfortunate people - but it won't happen, I wonder why?
  • The only reason we now need such vast quantities of affordable housing built is because the UK population is so out of control. Demand outstrips supply = house prices go up.

If you listen to any mainstream politician today, they simply won't acknowledge this.
  • http://england.shelter.org.uk/campaigns/why_we_campaign/the_housing_crisis/building_more_homes/empty_homes

Shelter say "279,000 long-term privately owned empty homes in England". England alone.
  • Sponsored links:

• 2014 Net immigration 260k
    2014 New housing 141k

2015 Net immigration so far 298k

Info from BBC.
  • edited September 2015
    Stig said:

The opening post clearly states 'refugees' not 'immigrants'. Yet we get the same old reslponses on here from people muddling the two. A cynical person might think that some posters are deliberately being obtuse to try and cloud the issue.

You can almost predict who , when and what these same people will say. It does get a little tedious.
  • What a wonderful utopian world some of you live in.
    Please don't complain in years to come/now when the Ambulance
    doesn't get to you or there's no beds. Schools, housing, etc.
    Maybe Scotland who have the same population as Yorkshire,
    have the Infrastructure and room to cope.
    England can't cope.
    The population is already about 10 million too high.
    Watch the programes on India.
    If you want to see people herded together like Sheep.
    Without space there is no quality of life.

I read the last line of your post then i can't help thinking about the picture of that little boy dead in the water . Where is the compassion?
  • Sponsored links:

• What a wonderful utopian world some of you live in.
    Please don't complain in years to come/now when the Ambulance
    doesn't get to you or there's no beds. Schools, housing, etc.
    Maybe Scotland who have the same population as Yorkshire,
    have the Infrastructure and room to cope.
    England can't cope.
    The population is already about 10 million too high.
    Watch the programes on India.
    If you want to see people herded together like Sheep.
    Without space there is no quality of life.

that's why I believe there needs to be future repatriation
  • edited September 2015
    Rothko said:

Most of you would have kept the Jews out in the 30s

The population was a lot lower in the 30s so we could cope.

I am very much in favour of offering succour to genuine refugees but there are undeniable difficulties in separating those refugees from other less deserving immigrants.

Successive governments, red and blue, have ballsed this up, whether by accident or design, for the best part of 20 years now.
  • edited September 2015
    Football is sport. IMHO sport and politics should not mix.

This thread has turned into a debate with many positive and negative sides on both sides of the argument. However, the original question was about a banner.
  • edited September 2015
    LenGlover said:

Rothko said:

Most of you would have kept the Jews out in the 30s

The population was a lot lower in the 30s so we could cope.

I am very much in favour of offering succour to genuine refugees but there are undeniable difficulties in separating those refugees from other less deserving immigrants.

Successive governments, red and blue, have ballsed this up, whether by accident or design, for the best part of 20 years now.
    The population was a lot lower so there were less people to do basic services jobs. Your logic doesn't make sense. But I agree about successive governments failing to make the investments in infrastructure and housing
  • This isn't going to end well...

It hasn't even started well.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

If the refugees are so desperate, why do they pass through safe countries to get to the UK?

The vast, vast, vast majority don't. Educate yourself.
    Of course they do. You have to cross the whole of Europe to get to the UK.

We should take in more than we currently do, however.
    Trust me "the vast, vast, vast majority" of refugees do not "pass through safe countries to get to the UK".
    I'm not saying your wrong, but it would help if you quoted a source.