Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

'Refugees welcome' banners at German football matches/The Valley

Comments

• WSS said:
    Not clear on whether it is the club or some fans

Mirror claiming supporters but not sure which grouping this could be.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/football-clubs-urged-show-support-6380049
  • edited September 2015

The inability of the EU to protect its borders and act as a unified entity will have been noted in Russia. When masked men carrying heavy weaponry start surfacing in the Baltics it's going to be because the EU and NATO are perceived as weak and divided. Putin will be loving this crisis.

Using the Russia link, i happened to notice a new route for migrants/asylum seekers into Europe - cycling thru Russia into Norway in the Arctic circle - now thats what i call desperate,although think it might slow down in the next few months !.....

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/29/syrian-refugees-europe-arctic-circle-russia-norway
  • I wonder why none of these people are heading to Countries closer to home like Kuwait, UAE, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia etc

You forgot; Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Jordon, Israel Lebanon, Egypt, Iran, Russia, Bahrain, Qatar, Yemen and Oman. All of which are closer that Hungary.

Is it not about time that the Western countries stopped arming the rebels in Syria? Perhaps we could even support Assad then there wouldn't be this situation and this conversation would not be happening. Even before Isis and the Caliphate were declared I suggested that was the aim, and was scoffed at. We backed the wrong side, time to admit it and stop this crisis.
  • Wasn't this thread about bringing a banner to a football match? Jeez.

Everyone has a democratic right to air their views. If you'd like to make a banner to welcome refugees, you go for it, good for you. If you don't want to because you don't agree with it, then don't.

You only have a right to air your views if it doesn't offend anyone!
  • Loco said:

I wonder why none of these people are heading to Countries closer to home like Kuwait, UAE, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia etc

You forgot; Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Jordon, Israel Lebanon, Egypt, Iran, Russia, Bahrain, Qatar, Yemen and Oman. All of which are closer that Hungary.

Is it not about time that the Western countries stopped arming the rebels in Syria? Perhaps we could even support Assad then there wouldn't be this situation and this conversation would not be happening. Even before Isis and the Caliphate were declared I suggested that was the aim, and was scoffed at. We backed the wrong side, time to admit it and stop this crisis.
    Yeah right.
    "where shall we migrate to luv? Yemen or Germany? - i know, lets go to Yemen !"
  • "Hello, which emergency service? Fire? Putting you through now..."

"Hello fire service, what's your emergency? The house is on fire? I see. And you're in the house? I see. And is there anyone with you? Your wife and two children, I see. Sorry, what? Rescue you? No, I'm afraid we can't do that. Well there are lots of people on the street already. So, if we got you out of the building and onto the street, what would all the people that are already on the street do?

Are you injured? Not yet? I see. Look, aren't there any *other* people you could ring and get them to rescue you instead? Don't you have a local plumber or gardener or painter and decorator you could call, that's, you know, a bit closer. Because we wouldn't want to have to drive past someone else on the way to rescuing you.

Well, the best we can do is to suggest you stay put and hope the fire blows over. Awfully sorry, of course. I'd like to offer you lots of sympathy. But, well, you know, we have other people to look after - we can't just rescue *anyone* simply because they decide they suddenly need it. Goodbye - and good luck".
  • Loco said:

I wonder why none of these people are heading to Countries closer to home like Kuwait, UAE, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia etc

The three highlighted in bold have taken around 3 million Syrian refugees between them.

To get to Iran, they would have to cross the area held by ISIS and a lot of Iraqi desert.

Qatar is about the same distance as Budapest in terms of mileage, and a lot further away in terms of time taken to travel. Oman is further away again

Yemen ??
  • Sponsored links:

• Which would be fine if we were the worlds emergency service.

International Rescue - or - Carlsberg Emergency Services.
  • edited September 2015
    holyjo said:

Leuth said .....Agreed about the bankrupt integrity of the Guardian - while it does not fearmonger in quite the same way as the Mail, it is an organisation with an agenda that panders to bourgie handwringing faddism.
    To compare the Guardian to the Mail for journalistic integrity is laughable. "Bankrupt integrity".......http://www.theguardian.com/gnm-press-office/awards . I think the awards that The Guardian won exemplifies the absurdity of your claim. I guess you might mean that the only Broadsheet in the country to offer a moderate left of center perspective is bankrupt in terms of integrity because you disagree with its political editorial.

I think it lacks integrity because it acts as a sop for those who feel that they ought to be doing something to help the world, while being itself as much a consumable as any other lifestyle accessory. If it *had* the integrity it claims to, it would operate purely as a charity. Although this too might prove problematic...

Usually I find The Guardian's editorial to be facile and often obnoxious in its flustered guilt. Sometimes it has a good point to make, but usually it's in the business of promoting its own brand in as garish a manner as it can get away with.

Did you read the rest of my post? I have to let these nice folk of CL have SOME sort of concession first, soften 'em up a bit. If I say I hate The Guardian then you wouldn't believe what I can get away with after that...
  • Proud of the club for signing up to this. I have always loved that Charlton put community and people up at the front. A proper club. Football and politics don't mix? We'd still be playing in a suburb of Croydon if everyone felt like that. #gotourcharltonback :0)

Which community ?
  • PL54 said:

Proud of the club for signing up to this. I have always loved that Charlton put community and people up at the front. A proper club. Football and politics don't mix? We'd still be playing in a suburb of Croydon if everyone felt like that. #gotourcharltonback :0)

Which community ?
    Troll off
  • edited September 2015

Loco said:

Yeah right.
    "where shall we migrate to luv? Yemen or Germany? - i know, lets go to Yemen !"
    I thought they were finding refuge not migrating :-) if you look above you'll find plenty of annoyance at that confusion.
  • IA said:

Loco said:

The three highlighted in bold have taken around 3 million Syrian refugees between them.

To get to Iran, they would have to cross the area held by ISIS and a lot of Iraqi desert.

Qatar is about the same distance as Budapest in terms of mileage, and a lot further away in terms of time taken to travel. Oman is further away again

Yemen ??
    So three out of the seventeen countries named, what's wrong with the other fourteen then?
  • Can I ask what is the difference between refugees and asylum seekers?
  • Hungary, Bulgaria, Belarus, Russia, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Ukraine, Romania, Macedonia, Croatia, Montenegro, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Austria, Poland, Germany, Denmark, Belgium, Switzerland, Netherlands, France.

Why are we the prime destination for immigrants whereby they travel past or through all of these countries (and more besides) to get here? We have thousands of Eastern European people moving here every month as it is, I'm sure there is ample accommodation in their countries for asylum seekers? We as a nation are straining at the shores as it is, with our own housing and employment problems, we cannot afford to let in tens of thousands more people with limited skill sets and resources, clogging up the already antiquated and overflowing NHS, transport, employment and educational systems.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:

sam3110 said:

Hungary, Bulgaria, Belarus, Russia, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Ukraine, Romania, Macedonia, Croatia, Montenegro, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Austria, Poland, Germany, Denmark, Belgium, Switzerland, Netherlands, France.

Why are we the prime destination for immigrants whereby they travel past or through all of these countries (and more besides) to get here? We have thousands of Eastern European people moving here every month as it is, I'm sure there is ample accommodation in their countries for asylum seekers? We as a nation are straining at the shores as it is, with our own housing and employment problems, we cannot afford to let in tens of thousands more people with limited skill sets and resources, clogging up the already antiquated and overflowing NHS, transport, employment and educational systems.

We're not, it's Germany
    Aren't we something like 16th in the table of accepting asylum seekers per head of existing population?
  • Gumbo said:

Can I ask what is the difference between refugees and asylum seekers?

Refugees are those fleeing war or persecution and it's too dangerous for them to return home. They are protected under the 1951 refugee convention.

Asylum seekers are those that have fled their country for whatever reason (usually it is persecution) and have applied for asylum in another state. States are bound to provide temporary subsistence to those individuals whilst they consider their claim for asylum.

• Rothko said:

sam3110 said:

Hungary, Bulgaria, Belarus, Russia, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Ukraine, Romania, Macedonia, Croatia, Montenegro, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Austria, Poland, Germany, Denmark, Belgium, Switzerland, Netherlands, France.

We're not, it's Germany
    And Sweden

UK is well behind Belgium, Austria, Switzerland and Netherlands.

All of these countries put together have taken fewer refugees than Lebanon.
  • edited September 2015
    I've seen that us as a club are supposed to be supporting this refugees welcome thing, but haven't actually seen anyone claim responsibility for it. I wouldn't think that the club themselves would do it so I'm guessing it's fans.
    I'm sorry if this has already been brought up on the thread but I can't be bothered to filter though the hundreds of posts debating the population density of Lebanon.
  • Chizz said:

"Hello, which emergency service? Fire? Putting you through now..."

"Hello fire service, what's your emergency? The house is on fire? I see. And you're in the house? I see. And is there anyone with you? Your wife and two children, I see. Sorry, what? Rescue you? No, I'm afraid we can't do that. Well there are lots of people on the street already. So, if we got you out of the building and onto the street, what would all the people that are already on the street do?

Are you injured? Not yet? I see. Look, aren't there any *other* people you could ring and get them to rescue you instead? Don't you have a local plumber or gardener or painter and decorator you could call, that's, you know, a bit closer. Because we wouldn't want to have to drive past someone else on the way to rescuing you.

Well, the best we can do is to suggest you stay put and hope the fire blows over. Awfully sorry, of course. I'd like to offer you lots of sympathy. But, well, you know, we have other people to look after - we can't just rescue *anyone* simply because they decide they suddenly need it. Goodbye - and good luck".

Nonsense
  • Chizz said:

"Hello, which emergency service? Fire? Putting you through now..."

Just say no kids.

Drugs are bad......mmmkay!
  • PL54 said:

Proud of the club for signing up to this. I have always loved that Charlton put community and people up at the front. A proper club. Football and politics don't mix? We'd still be playing in a suburb of Croydon if everyone felt like that. #gotourcharltonback :0)

Which community ?
    Oh, sorry - wasn't clear. Anyone except you.
  • PL54 said:

Which community ?
    Oh, sorry - wasn't clear. Anyone except you.
    Almost funny
  • Rothko said:

sam3110 said:

We're not, it's Germany
    Aren't we something like 16th in the table of accepting asylum seekers per head of existing population?
    Yeah but using per head of population isn't really helping against most people's argument that England is already over populated.