Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Hull - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    smiffyboy said:

Dazzler21 said:

What happened to Ceballos?

Cried off and we looked stronger when he went off too lightweight
    If that's meant as a joke, it badly misses the mark. If it's not in jest, it's just abusive.
  • Options
    First game of the season for me and was seriously impressed. Guy said in the Standard Friday that he fears no team in the division. I'll make him right.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Most seasons in the Championship, everyone can beat everyone. The relegated teams may have expensive squads and parachute payments, but it's hard to keep team spirit when players are leaving or rumoured to be leaving. I'd be surprised if Hull don't lose 2 or 3 out of today's team

Who though all looked average, we dominated in all positions, Tom Huddleston had to come off because he looked poor against our solid team
    But as we all know, you may have better players, but if they don't put in as much effort...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well. Given myself a sleep to mull over it. I'd like to apologise in advance for my natural realism/cynicism, but it's always good to temper things and not get carried away. After all, we're only four games in.

We looked decent today: not quite as good as we did against QPR, the other match I've been to this season, but still good. Contrastingly, Hull were really quite poor; we deserved the win overall and the manner of it of course makes it all the sweeter. There were a couple of concerns for me, but absolutely some really good things too.

Pope - like I said in my QPR post match views, he's got a definite technical flaw when gathering low shots with his whole body in front of him. Thankfully, that didn't cost us today, but I think over time he's a goalkeeper who could lose us as many points as he gains us with his otherwise awesome shot-stopping. He was solid aerially as well, and distribution looked a bit improved.

Cousins - played really well. For some reason it's swum back into my mind that he smashed the club 1500m record on the first day of training, and his fitness shone through today. I can't really pinpoint anything he did in particular, but he was solid in a position he's not played in competitively for a while.

Diarra - right. I may have to eat my previous words on this man. (Maybe not just yet, but soon.) He smashed it. Won lots aerially, decent initiative when passing, tackling alright. Him and Bauer work very well together. But, he still can take too long to make some decisions, and there were a couple of moments where he lost the ball and sort of won it back but then sort of lost it. So I suppose my inherent bias is holding me back a bit.

Bauer - he's a very, very good player. Mad props for the finger relocation (that was nasty). Didn't do much wrong all game, if anything. Good with positioning, aerially and in making sure the attacker is going into cul-de-sacs.

Fox - so he played absolutely solid. Good passing, good tackling, good all round basically: I don't really see why he's had his naysayers, because when the first choice was injured what was he meant to do, not play? He made I think two noticeable bad passing decisions but again - he's my age. Which is pretty scary. So there's only room to improve.

Ceballos - obviously great technically, and he's not afraid to take someone on. Excited to see him get better hopefully, or have one or two ridiculous through balls come off. Shame about the injury. But he does look a bit scrawny: jury out on whether that's a good or bad thing but I'm leaning towards the latter.

Kashi - probably the best summer signing. He was absolutely everywhere. Passing was done quickly and generally well, tackling and tracking back was beastly... He's just, um, a good player. But, he has a couple of technical things (first touch I noticed maybe twice); hopefully they'll never cost us.

Ba - much improved on QPR. Looked quicker, and made some very innovative passes. Still prone to being caught in possession, but made some good challenges. He, alongside most of us, looked like he wanted it. Jury still out though.

Bergdich - like Harriott. Not great in my opinion, a couple times he dribbled it straight off, many times he tried to dribble and got tackled easy, but then he has some pace and made a couple of good attacking runs. I think the jury again is still out but I'm leaning towards him being used sparingly mainly as an impact sub.

Gudmundsson - this man is very much our best technician, which is what I tend to judge footballers on. Beats a man, cuts in, makes good passes, can shoot, can ping it, can dribble, got the goal at the end, lovely. He's just different gravy even if he had a relative off day today. Couple of wayward passes, shots a bit meh on occasion, some of his runs didn't come off. But still.

Ahearne-Grant - he's 17 and sometimes it's hard to remember that given the authority he seems to be exuding in his manner, which then gives us the conception that he's a poor player. He's not afraid which I like, and decent on the ball. Spurned a chance or two today. He will come through in time.

Makienok - Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Right. Righty right ho ho. Right. Damn, where do I start? ... Got a goal and an assist. So on that, he's miles better than he has been. His layoffs, when they work, are gorgeous, and I like his thoughts to dummy. But, his link-up play works so infrequently... I would love to love him right now, cos he obviously cares, but... Ah man. Definitely got better as the game went on, and I'm certain defenders hate playing him. He's not as good aerially as he should be, but... I think you can all see my confusion over this man. My friend says he could improve vastly after his first goal and I'd like that. Let's see.

Harriott and Charles-Cook looked alright. Can't really judge though. Maybe Charles-Cook should've come straight on at right back.

--------

As a team, we looked good. Passing and movement alright, but fitness seems to still be a bit of an issue - of course it could be the heat. I think we look a bit, um, anonymous(?) to other teams but that perception helps us no end. If we keep not losing, then excellent. I'm quietly encouraged, but our squad depth looks thin and that needs to be addressed immediately whether via loans or permanent deals. Bodies necessary.

TL;DR played alright, good aspects, I'm encouraged but tempering my thoughts so I don't get carried away, Hull looked quite shite.
  • Options
    Live for moments like that winning goal. Shame quite a few left when the equaliser had gone in.

Really encouraging start. A win at Wolves and I'll begin to think that the top 6 is a serious possibility.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Oh, and...image
  • Options
    Valley11 said:

smiffyboy said:

Dazzler21 said:

What happened to Ceballos?

Cried off and we looked stronger when he went off too lightweight
    Always one.
    Remember when someone said Wiggins didn't fancy it against Zaha so cried off with a fake injury, and it turned out he'd broken his foot? Always chuckle at that one
  • Options
    Another great result against a very sub dued Hull i thought. Bloke behind me just slagged Makinok off all game even after he scored ffs.

Sadly missed the last 10 mins as had to go to work at 7. But its either that or dont go at all.
  • Options
    Hull must have had an off day, either that or they are really quite poor. We were well on top despite being weakened by injuries and a lot of our moves not quite coming off. I think Makienok needed that goal, once he got his confidence he was a nightmare for the Hull defenders. I thought Pope's distribution improved, shame about the spill. Bauer was incredible, and I love how he just took the pain when his finger came out, barely seemed to bother him afterwards. Ahearne-Grant is improving, would love to see him get a league goal for us.
  • Options
    It's tough on Pope but goalkeeper is a brutal position. One laps of concentration and you've cost your team a win.
    I don't think he's a bad keeper, in fact much improved from last year but he should of collected that shot all day long. I've watched the replay 5/6 times and it's a routine save. Something he will practice in training everyday.

Big Mak as we've seen can cause problems. Yes his 1st half link up play wasn't spot on and there's a lot of work to do there but his sheer size worries the life out of the oppo defenders. Look at our winning goal, Dawson a decent centre half in my opinion leaves his central position to challenge for the header with Big Mak, this leave the room for JBG to make his run and be in the position to score the goal. That small bit of movement from Big Mak has created acres of space in the middle of there defence because they're worried about him.

Get TWWW FULLY fit (I don't know if we've ever seen that) Get me some right back and centre back cover and we will have a go. COYR
  • Options
    Some things never change....... we win so they say our opponents were off form.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't! Want! To! Be! A! Nob! But! This! Is! Very! Annoying! To! Read!
  • Options
    jams said:

Don't! Want! To! Be! A! Nob! But! This! Is! Very! Annoying! To! Read!

What?
  • Options
    pettgra said:

Fantastic spirit, there seems to be a great togetherness. You just had to be so proud of them, considering the adjustments that had to be made.
    How good is Diarra!
    My cousin's son is over from Oz and absolutely loved the whole day. He is be going back to his homeland with a Charlton shirt.

It'll be lovely to have another addick fan down under mate!
  • Options
    A little glimmer of light from an otherwise shit couple of days!

Well done Charlton, cracking team performance by all accounts
  • Options
    It was good.
    I'm still drunk.