Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Hull - Post Match Thread

Comments

• Options
    Excellent defence. We should have killed it off with JBG's one-on-one. Pope needs help to stop spilling the ball. If he can't fix that he'll never make it as a top class 'keeper so I hope it gets sorted. Makienok reminds me so much of Carl but I suspect there's a better player to come.

I'm writing this while watching Cardiff-Wolves and I'd say, whilst not wishing to summon the devil of hubris, that we have nothing to fear from Wolves.
  • Options
    Pope is a great stopper, is gaining confidence with mid height and higher crosses but his distribution will always be poor which is sad.
  • Options
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't make the game unfortunately - checked at 90 mins and thought - bollocks!!! And then what?????????

This is our year guys and gals - this is our year.
  • Options
    What a win though. I would have been happy with a point before the game. I thought we would have to hold on for that. We didn't. Our defensive structure is very good. Our pressing is very good. In the first half there were not a lot of chances from either side but that was because we generally had them in our pockets without risking too much.

I was surprised to see Ba substituted and surely it must be because he wasn't fully championship match fot. That gave them an entry back into the game they didn't deserve.

Ultimately very happy with 3 points. Can hardly believe it.
  • Options
    Hmmmmm how gutted I am can't get to a game until reading and Leeds festivals are de rigged, in Clacton now after doing stuff at v and met up with the family, now all those who sounded like we may as well give hull the points have some faith in your team and Mgr it just feels different to me this season don't know what it is but I have that feeling it could be wind, it may be last night's curry but I am well up for the fall out regardless of what it is

Get in there the big dane so pleased he scored after the dissenters started to make noises

Gutted for Pope but that's the risk with a young rookie keeper, they will make mistakes and in the championship they will be punished by better teams, the pics of the winning goal being celebrated that's what it means to them all, strap yourselves in we had the hardest start of all teams and so far have done the business, Hull, qpr, forest, Derby will all be there or there abouts they are massive wins and draws there already and they will all know we are the real deal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2015
    A case of the good, the bad, the ugly and tha absolute fcuking berzy mental!!!!!!!!

The good - everyone for effort on a searing day and for making a premier team look ordinary:

The bad - proof that we have big holes in the squad that need filled

The ugly - Bauer's fingers. My bollocks went right up into my tum tum watching that. What a warrior (and a damn fine player)

The ....mental - Guy Luzon. You sir in the words of Mr a Parttridge are a fcuking mentalist!!!! But I'm growing to love you. What a celebration.

Full response later when I've calmed down.
  • Options
    To the few around us who took off when they equalised, you deserve to have missed the best ending to a match bar none!
    People are going to rave about Big Mak - he won more battles than not and his headed flick-ons were a constant threat. However Diarra and Bauer were immense and they rarely gave Jelavic and Akpom a sniff. It was only when the midfield tired in the heat that they came under more pressure and Hernandez started getting more space. Despite that they still kept their composure. Diarra was my MoM for some fierce and clean tackling and his total composure.
    No way would we have got anything out of a match like that last season. Luzon has made some great signings, but special mention to Callum Harriott when he came on. He got into some great positions and caused the pressure that lead to JBG's goal. Get in!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Just read match thread. Some of you are hilarious. Heaping blame on Pope when if JBG had scored we would have been 2-0 and cruising. And in general his handling was great and was doing fine. And criticizing Charles Cook? His debut and coming on at a difficult time. He may not be good enough but he did his best. Some of you need to listen to yourselves.

Pray tell, why should criticism be withheld? As long as it is valid and not abusive, I have no problem with it.

[edited for grammar]
  • Options
    fantastic and very memorable game made so by all the drama at the end and luzon has to take a lot of credit for instilling a winning mentality especially with watts absence. The most memorable moment was Makienok's goal and celebration which encouraged us all. It's not often you get the whole crowd singing after the final whistle and for for some time. Makienok like most strikers relies on confidence to play well and i hope this gives him enough confidence to take more chances. I thought our shooting today was dire and it felt like the two most firmly hit attempts went in. Everyone in the end had a good game even if makienok before the goal was poor. I am so glad Gudmundson, Bauer, Fox, Kashi, Cousins are with us. Great game , great time. Well done everyone.
  • Options
    Bauer is a hero.. The collective wince from the crowd when he had his dislocated finger put back into place was very funny
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Haven't celebrated a goal like that at The Valley since Jackson scored against QPR.

The difference being that this time it was about ten times more dramatic!

Seems you have a dramaometer that goes up to 11!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great stuff today , they got exactly wot they deserved nothing , we totally outplayed them all the lads superb , happy for Big MAK off the mark keep it up lads ,
  • Options
    I felt the first half was one of the dullest I've seen for a while. We totally dominated but failed to make the most of the positional opportunities where I think we got too anxious.

Second half we looked much more threatening and deserved the lead. Ba going off was a big game changer and it was no surprise that Hull equalised irrespective of Pope's error.

When the 8 min injury time sign game up I would have bitten your hand off (or indeed any part of your body) for a draw but wow wow wow!

Special mention to Big Mak who I thought had a bad 1st half. His effectiveness in the second half won this game, great testament to his character. My jury on him came back in as the clock turned 100 minutes. The verdict is that he is worthy of his place in the team. I reckon he'll get better still as his confidence improves and the team 'gels' more.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Hmmmmm how gutted I am can't get to a game until reading and Leeds festivals are de rigged, in Clacton now after doing stuff at v and met up with the family, now all those who sounded like we may as well give hull the points have some faith in your team and Mgr it just feels different to me this season don't know what it is but I have that feeling it could be wind, it may be last night's curry but I am well up for the fall out regardless of what it is

Get in there the big dane so pleased he scored after the dissenters started to make noises

Gutted for Pope but that's the risk with a young rookie keeper, they will make mistakes and in the championship they will be punished by better teams, the pics of the winning goal being celebrated that's what it means to them all, strap yourselves in we had the hardest start of all teams and so far have done the business, Hull, qpr, forest, Derby will all be there or there abouts they are massive wins and draws there already and they will all know we are the real deal

@Northlondonaddick I know I've been less than complimentary about some of your posts but today I doff my hat to you.
  • Options
    sm said:

If Carlsberg did football matches:

Charlton 2 (Big Viking 52, Little Viking 98) Hull Corporate Branding 1 (89 - who cares but he'll be sacrificed at the next Uphellya)

I need to open more accounts on here so I can give this post more Likes. If there's a vote for post of the year, this deserves to be a contender.
  • Options

D ain't missed a game yet gonna tell ya mate we av a good side , f--k the pundits they get paid good money and know shit all in my eyes , we are patient with the ball , break up play when we need to , Bauer different class so commanding , we could be a surprise this year mate , its early doors but I really feel we could be in the mix , maybe it could be our year ?
  • Options
    I was expecting Hull to go on to score the winner after they equalised, so an amazing turnaround to get the winner. A suburb effort to grab the 3 points, especially with our very weak bench today. Bringing on RCC when we were hanging on showed the lack of options. We needed someone like Jackson to come on, rather than a kid.

Bruce will be disappointed with the 2 goals they conceded, to me they looked like they did last season, much the same team really, solid but lacking the goal threat they ought to have.
  • Options
    One thing to say...

Look at the average age of the Charlton players today. (Including the bench)

This team can only get better...
  • Options
    Fantastic atmosphere all through the game, the best I can remember. Well done the crowd.

We are becoming hard to break down - sign of a good side. In defense Diarra and Baur are looking the real deal. Thought Kashi and Ba were brilliant today.

Makienok - our viking, gives us another dimension, so pleased he's scored his deserved goal. Bet he was praying to Odin on the pitch after the game!

Luzon has got the team working so hard for each other, - again a sign of a good side. Ok, we do need a couple more squad players.

Before the injuries it looked to me we were playing 3 at the back? anybody else think that.
  • Options

Pope is a great stopper, is gaining confidence with mid height and higher crosses but his distribution will always be poor which is sad.

Felt his distribution today was one of the key factors when we controlled the game... Every time he had the ball he quickly threw it out meaning we could counter and I've not seen Goalkeepers at Charlton do that for a while.

I need to see it again but wondering if the Hull goal was Pope's mistake as much as everyone think it was.

If hit at the right height and pace, the ball can bounce off a Goalkeepers chest and because it isnt at the right height the 'keeper then cant just gather in their arms so maybe more credit should be given to Clucas...? Regardless though I do think Pope will be one of the best English Goalkeepers one day but moments like this will stop him from becoming World Class, by which I mean he had nothing to do all match and because of that maybe had a moments lapse in concentration, the best 'keepers have nothing to do all game yet because they stay alert the whole time, they'll make the big saves when needed