Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***Naby Sarr signed on 5 year deal*** (Ed. Gone)

Comments

• Options
    As ever all this talk of "he's on £8k/week, we can't afford him" is so much arrant drivel
    We can't afford him at £8k/week, nothing like, but that ain't relevant.
    His old contract has finished.
    He's been free to sort himself out since January, with the contacts he must have, if there is interest in him at Championship equivalent level, he'd have received it.
    He's better now than when the twunt had to loan him out a few years back but he didn't get any Champ equivalent suitors then did he? 🐀 was lumbered with most of Naby's salary throughout.
    Maybe he likes it in SE7 and SE9, he said as much a while back.  We wouldn't expect him to be heard saying "I'm only still here cos the money's alright and nobody else wants me" but all that "I need to show the fans I'm good and I owe them from before..." stuff, certainly rang true to me.
    In Bowyer's back 4 he was never first choice, in the back 3 to which that squad was better suited, Naby's the man for the left berth.
    If he's back at SE9, then the Nabster's not been washed away in a flood of offers.  CAFC would be mad to not offer him whatever the going rate now is for 3rd division stoppers.  His faults and flair make him risky but better the Naby we know than a whole new body of unfamiliarities.
    The transfer window is open until 5 October so there'll be plenty of goings and comings by then.  Based on the last few weeks 5 October is well over the horizon of Charlton's 'foreseeable future' in any case.
    I'd be happy to see him stay.  tbh I'll be ecstatic to see CAFC kicking off with 11 or 12 available players against Accrington, Lincoln, Posh, Rochdale, whomever.
    I think how much he earned in his last contract is relevant as it will set his expectations. 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Keep him!
    Agree - our very own David Luis (well nearly)!  Can pick a diagonal pass, can strike the ball, prone to the odd catastrophe...not a consistent defender
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Naby’s passing from the back was an asset last season. Would be excellent if he were to stay on for this upcoming season.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    As ever all this talk of "he's on £8k/week, we can't afford him" is so much arrant drivel
    We can't afford him at £8k/week, nothing like, but that ain't relevant.
    His old contract has finished.
    He's been free to sort himself out since January, with the contacts he must have, if there is interest in him at Championship equivalent level, he'd have received it.
    He's better now than when the twunt had to loan him out a few years back but he didn't get any Champ equivalent suitors then did he? 🐀 was lumbered with most of Naby's salary throughout.
    Maybe he likes it in SE7 and SE9, he said as much a while back.  We wouldn't expect him to be heard saying "I'm only still here cos the money's alright and nobody else wants me" but all that "I need to show the fans I'm good and I owe them from before..." stuff, certainly rang true to me.
    In Bowyer's back 4 he was never first choice, in the back 3 to which that squad was better suited, Naby's the man for the left berth.
    If he's back at SE9, then the Nabster's not been washed away in a flood of offers.  CAFC would be mad to not offer him whatever the going rate now is for 3rd division stoppers.  His faults and flair make him risky but better the Naby we know than a whole new body of unfamiliarities.
    The transfer window is open until 5 October so there'll be plenty of goings and comings by then.  Based on the last few weeks 5 October is well over the horizon of Charlton's 'foreseeable future' in any case.
    I'd be happy to see him stay.  tbh I'll be ecstatic to see CAFC kicking off with 11 or 12 available players against Accrington, Lincoln, Posh, Rochdale, whomever.
    I think how much he earned in his last contract is relevant as it will set his expectations. 
    I’m with the original post. Covid and players like taylor and Maddison remaining available will make players think differently. 
  • Options
    Nabs is not as good as some make out, not as bad as others make out. Overall I’d say decent at Championship level, standout at League 1 level. Has a mistake in him but nearly all defenders do - almost every goal conceded is due to one or more defenders not doing their job, or in other words making a mistake. 

Nabs does positive things that most defenders at this level cannot - his distribution in particular can be very good. That pass for Taylor at Forest was the best assist by a Charlton player for years, and there was a similar one that Bonne failed to convert vs Birmingham. 

Most of all though, he’s unpredictable and entertaining. Some people just can’t get on with players like that. Personally, I’ve always enjoyed an enigmatic player, as long as I always feel like they are trying, which Naby clearly always does.

I really hope he stays, he’s the dictionary definition of a cult hero. 
    Big fan of Naby - happy for him to stay but he should be at a higher level.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    Whilst what happened at Wembley was probably more Phillips fault - the own goal would have only come from Naby Sarr. It wouldn’t have been a Bielik or a Solly or a Purrington thing to happen. 

The same way that going into that Millwall away game, if there was anybody who was going to have a mare in that atmosphere - it would have been him. And it was.

He reminds me a lot of Miguel Llera. Capable of some technically impressive stuff, but also just as capable of absolute calamity.

Sadly the overall output doesn’t justify anywhere near the sort of money he was being paid - not even half. 

In League One you need defenders to defend. Having a Center back who can pull off a 50 yard pass once a game is a luxury, but not critical.

With that said, I’d happily keep him if it was on a sensible arrangement for the club considering the registration challenges we have.
    A defender who can pull off 50 yard passes isnt a luxury, it’s a very useful tool that can be used to unlock defences that come to the valley to park the bus. 
    And what if instead of seeing at a bonus, you play to it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is Aneke still contracted to us? 
  • Options
    Did we not sign him on a two year deal?
  • Options
    Is Aneke still contracted to us? 
    Yes.
  • Options
    A team with Sarr, Doughty, Williams, Gilby, Aneke, Washington and Bonne in it would tear League One a new one. 
    Let us wait and see if we have a club first!
  • Options
    Naby is at training today.
    Saying goodbye to the staff?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    I’d love Nabs to stay ,but as a previous poster said , I think he’d have signed by now, my lads are convinced he’s signing for a french club, I’m convinced he’ll be snapped up on a free by a championship club.

A loveable character Clearly has ability, but has an error in him, needs to be loved to bring out the best in him, would love for him to score the winning goal that got us out of this division (upwardly that is!)

If Jason Pearce is the steel, then Naby is definitely the silk.

Happy Birthday Nabs!
  • Options
    Can’t see him staying, Cawley has said we can only offer £1.3k a week under the embargo and that’s the whole package including bonuses and agent fees. Even if we get the embargo lifted we can only increase that to £2k.
  • Options
    Naby is at training today.
    Saying goodbye to his horse!

• Options
    Given the salary caps, even at £2k a week it's goodbye to Naby. Worth a lot more than £2k a week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:
    Can’t see him staying, Cawley has said we can only offer £1.3k a week under the embargo and that’s the whole package including bonuses and agent fees. Even if we get the embargo lifted we can only increase that to £2k.
    I thought that existing players were not subject to the £2k rule, if so that means all our players, however many that is, currently on more than £2k will have to take a pay-cut and that cant be legal to downgrade pay because the EFL say so? Of course I could be wrong.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I thought that existing players were not subject to the £2k rule, if so that means all our players, however many that is, currently on more than £2k will have to take a pay-cut and that cant be legal to downgrade pay because the EFL say so? Of course I could be wrong.
    Existing players contracts are only included at an league average for the purposes of the budget calculation. Their actual salaries are not effected... until usch a time as they need to renew their contract and we can only offer up to £2K. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Players can be signed on a weekly or short term contract.

And then the club can offer the player an improved contract at any time - perhaps after we have new owners approved and in place, and the transfer embargo lifted?

Sure, I get that it would need to be in accordance with the League One salary cap conditions.
    But it could be a way around the current embargo restrictions?

• Options
    Scoham said:

Does that just apply to players new to the club ? Otherwise Williams must've taken a massive pay cut or as the contract had a years option did JW managed to get paid on the original terms ?

Naby must seek pastures new, why would he take a 75% pay cut ? 
  • Options
    I’d prefer a younger version of Jason Pearce 
  • Options
    That's why JFC, Amos and Williams took up their options before the wage structure was passed by the clubs.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Does that just apply to players new to the club ? Otherwise Williams must've taken a massive pay cut or as the contract had a years option did JW managed to get paid on the original terms ?

Naby must seek pastures new, why would he take a 75% pay cut ? 
    I suppose it depends on what he can get at a new pasture.
  • Options
    Love Naby, hope he stays - cult player.  He's got a lot to give and I feel that if he continues to develop under Bows then he will be an asset to us this season, not least for a crazy last ten-minute cameo up front when we're desperate for a goal!
  • Options
    Saw his very first game for us at The Valley so, on that basis, want him to stay.

Even then, thought he looked quite cultured with the ball at his feet but was a bit dodgy with his defending. 

He’d be great in L1 and would nab a few goals as well.