Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***Naby Sarr signed on 5 year deal*** (Ed. Gone)

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    I thought we won at Wembley.
    We scored an own goal, it was a pretty prominent feature in the match. 
    Which didn't cost us the match, so was not a prominent factor. It doesn't tell us anything at all about Phillips' or Sarr's abilities and couldn't be more inconsequential.
    An own goal, in a cup final, at Wembley, after a minute “was not a prominent factor” in the match?

You’ve lost me there Mutts...
    We clearly view the game differently. For me the prominent factors were Purrington and Bauer's goals. At the time I thought it was 75% Phiilips and 25% Sarr. Both made mistakes that COST us games after and so did other players. Not sure considering the outcome why it is something we need to keep going over but hey ho.
    Spot on, I would say 75/25 is about right.
  • Options
    Surely a goal scored in any game is going to be "prominent" and very rarely "inconsequential", unless it's a last minute consolation when you're already 8-0 down?
  • Options
    Depends on when you look at it. During the game, of course. Over a year later when you won the game?
  • Options

I’d love to see us offer him a deal I’m not sure we could afford his wages anymore. 

How much of a problem do you think this would be?

We know that there are players in the system for whom money isn't the be-all-and-end-all of a contract; could BeckenSarr be one of them?

He seems happy at Charlton (despite all the crap going on in the background throughout his time with us) and the way he knuckled down after returning from his loan spell to break back into the first XI earned himself a kind of cult status among supporters (and elevated to deity level by Leuth).

There are some players who value that kind of happiness and affection more than an extra few grand a week, especially when they're on a relatively decent wedge compared to the general public.

I really hope he stays!
  • Options
    If he signs a new contract following the new salary cap, he’d have to be on around £2.5k a week as I understand it. If he was on 6-8k before that’s quite a drop. Can’t see it happening myself even though we’d like him back!
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    matt88 said:
    If he signs a new contract following the new salary cap, he’d have to be on around £2.5k a week as I understand it. If he was on 6-8k before that’s quite a drop. Can’t see it happening myself even though we’d like him back!
    Agree- if he was going to sign with us he would have done by now to get round the cap, but would we want to break the cap for a centre back who will realistically not be first choice all season - if playing 442, he will directly compete with Pearce for the starting role. 

Unfortunately I don’t see it happening. 

As an aside I thought I had read the cap was about £1.7k but I may be wrong there, or that could have been the league 2 level? 

Edit- found it. The squad salary cap is 2.5m. Any contracts signed prior to the cap would be taken as an average for a 25 man squad assuming the cap is met. Therefore any contracts in force prior to the cap, would be taken as a maximum of around £2k per week.
  • Options
    What I think could be a bigger issue is that Bowyer rates the battling, spill blood, centre halves more than the creative ones. Sarr under the right manager would have a team built around him. Not sure that would happen at Charlton. He is a player I expect us to look at in a season or two and question why he didn't show his talents whilst with us. 
  • Options
    It would be nice to think we could keep one of Sarr or Lockyer. 
    It would be a shame to lose both.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2020
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    I thought we won at Wembley.
    We scored an own goal, it was a pretty prominent feature in the match. 
    Which didn't cost us the match, so was not a prominent factor. It doesn't tell us anything at all about Phillips' or Sarr's abilities and couldn't be more inconsequential.
    An own goal, in a cup final, at Wembley, after a minute “was not a prominent factor” in the match?

You’ve lost me there Mutts...
    Sunderland’s undoing was their manager’s negativity. Their season was blighted with draws, as they always sat back once ahead. The goal was so early that we always had a pretty good chance of getting back into the match. L
    My Sunderland mate texted me at half-time from the other end of the ground to say he and his mates knew we were going to win. 
    Blame I’d say was 20% Naby, 80% Dillon. Yes, it was hit a bit firmly, but Dillon wasn’t under pressure, so could have trapped the ball easily enough, rather than waving his foot at it.

Oh and would Bowyer have made him an offer to stay, in case no one comes in for him?
  • Options
    Naby is at training today.
    A surprising lack of transfer rumours surrounding our out of contract players. Not a major surprise he's training with us today, it might not mean he's staying though
  • Options
    What I think could be a bigger issue is that Bowyer rates the battling, spill blood, centre halves more than the creative ones. Sarr under the right manager would have a team built around him. Not sure that would happen at Charlton. He is a player I expect us to look at in a season or two and question why he didn't show his talents whilst with us. 
    I really like Naby on the left of a back 3, with that system you do need one player who can bring the ball out
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Yes, I agree. That is why you have to build around him. You need pace up front too. 
  • Options
    I really like Naby on the left of a back 3, with that system you do need one player who can bring the ball out
    Or a back four with Naby sitting in front of them as centre-half-back - it would still allow him to play his expansive passing game, he can drop back into the centre of defence if needs be, and gives him a bit more freedom for those majestic forays forward (Exhibit A: Hull City at home, m'lud).

Pratley won't be able to go on forever ...
  • Options
    That is the other way you can play him. I prefer as a back three, but there are a couple of options there.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    That is the other way you can play him. I prefer as a back three, but there are a couple of options there.
    If you play him in a back three then he has to be in the middle - as I've said a number of times over the last couple of years, for whatever reason Naby struggles as the left centre back when playing outside Pearce, almost as though the skipper's positioning unsettles him.

(EDIT: I'm sure our tactical expert @Sage can do a thorough analysis of this to see if I've been imagining it for all this time ;) )

Also, if Alfie is going to be left-wing-back in a back five his frequent runs forward (coupled with him being not so quick getting back and a midfield reluctant to shift across to plug the gap) exposes Naby's slight lack of pace when he has to cover the left side.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The assist at Forest is the best I have ever seen from a Charlton center half, narrowly beat The Elk at, I think, Man City.

If Richard Rufus could pass the ball like Nabby he would be talked about in the same sentence as Rio, VVD and others.

I would love Nabby to stay 
    Absolutely. Rufus was one of the best defenders I have ever seen in a Charlton shirt and if he could have passed more effectively he would have been snapped up by one of the big clubs.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's Nabys birthday today isn't it?
    Naby is at training today.
    What about lockyer? 
  • Options
    Would need to take a massive hit in wages which he is unlikely to need to so will be gone.  For his reported £8K PW and with the L1 wage cap coming in you could pick up 4 decent players at our new level I suspect.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Even after five years at the club, if someone said to me “is Naby Sarr a Championship player?” I’m honestly not sure what my answer would be. The man is an enigma. 
    The answer is yes.
    It is the Dan's that are the enigma....Every mistake blown up every brilliant tacklepass and touch forgotten...like Francis. 

But Phillips whoopsee and Wembley,  blamed on Naby.
    Naby definitely deserves some of the blame for Wembley. 
    Philips took the blame for that. He has said it more than once.
    That doesn't mean that Dillon is totally right, even if he "manned up"
  • Options
    Would need to take a massive hit in wages which he is unlikely to need to so will be gone.  For his reported £8K PW and with the L1 wage cap coming in you could pick up 4 decent players at our new level I suspect.
    Unlikely to be as many as four players as the cap includes bonuses and agent fees, not just the basic wage.
  • Options
    Or a back four with Naby sitting in front of them as centre-half-back - it would still allow him to play his expansive passing game, he can drop back into the centre of defence if needs be, and gives him a bit more freedom for those majestic forays forward (Exhibit A: Hull City at home, m'lud).

Pratley won't be able to go on forever ...
    That's basically what a pal of mine would like to see: Sarr farther forward in a midfield position.  The thinking goes that it puts him more out of harm's way, being defensively erratic; and he'd be able to drive forward and use his passing skills to attacking effect.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    As ever all this talk of "he's on £8k/week, we can't afford him" is so much arrant drivel
    We can't afford him at £8k/week, nothing like, but that ain't relevant.
    His old contract has finished.
    He's been free to sort himself out since January, with the contacts he must have, if there is interest in him at Championship equivalent level, he'd have received it.
    He's better now than when the twunt had to loan him out a few years back but he didn't get any Champ equivalent suitors then did he? 🐀 was lumbered with most of Naby's salary throughout.
    Maybe he likes it in SE7 and SE9, he said as much a while back.  We wouldn't expect him to be heard saying "I'm only still here cos the money's alright and nobody else wants me" but all that "I need to show the fans I'm good and I owe them from before..." stuff, certainly rang true to me.
    In Bowyer's back 4 he was never first choice, in the back 3 to which that squad was better suited, Naby's the man for the left berth.
    If he's back at SE9, then the Nabster's not been washed away in a flood of offers.  CAFC would be mad to not offer him whatever the going rate now is for 3rd division stoppers.  His faults and flair make him risky but better the Naby we know than a whole new body of unfamiliarities.
    The transfer window is open until 5 October so there'll be plenty of goings and comings by then.  Based on the last few weeks 5 October is well over the horizon of Charlton's 'foreseeable future' in any case.
    I'd be happy to see him stay.  tbh I'll be ecstatic to see CAFC kicking off with 11 or 12 available players against Accrington, Lincoln, Posh, Rochdale, whomever.