Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***Naby Sarr signed on 5 year deal*** (Ed. Gone)

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2019
    LenGlover said:
    We are a small side so the physical presence of a fit and firing Naby is a considerable asset.

Had it been anyone other than Millwall he wouldn't have got half the stick he has.
    Nuhui 6ft 5.5 inches 
    Sarr 6ft 5 inches 
    Pratley 6ft 1 inch 
    Fletcher 6ft 1inch 

for a centre half of Sarrs physique he should be imposing himself on these players , yet Pratley had to mark Nuhui for set pieces , ridiculous 

the pass in the first half when he hit it across to the west stand and it went straight off , not a Charlton player within 20 yards was horrendous 

he wasn’t alone in shit passing but that was a corker 
  • Options
    His passing was alright though. He found a player nearly every time.
    The only problem was that it was a Sheff W player.
    And don't mention that lovely pass for a throw in, it was only about 10 yards out.
    You forgot about the times he kicked it directly off of the pitch. 

Thought he he was improving earlier this season but I really fear he’s just not up to it at this level. 
  • Options
    He seems to be to me what my old dad would call 'a gentle giant ' ,likeable but prone to costly errors. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

We've got our scapegoat back.

He's a confidence player. Build him up and he'll play better.

In the ground no one gives him abuse which is right, but he is pretty shit, how many more mistakes can he make?
    I’m sorry but that’s bullshit. He gets constant abuse from the stands... I swear some of you look forward to bashing him. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
  • Options
    Sarr was good in L1 but not so good in the Championship. He's not good enough in the air and seems to want too much time on the ball.

Lockyer and Pearce haven't been great either.
  • Options
    Would love to watch back that game on Sky as I felt Sarr did fine and Leko was woeful.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think for the most part, both were ok (fine seems a little too complimentary). Certainly not woeful. I think both would do better surrounded by first choice team mates. Despite his size, Sarr strikes me as someone who needs to be led by a more experienced defensive partner. Despite his skills, Leko needs to be accompanied by players who will anticipate his poor decision making. I'm happy for them to continue playing and will support them, but I'd be happier still if the new owners decide that theirs are positions where they'll look to make improvements. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I've defended Naby in the past and some of you may recall I briefly spoke to him on the train journey from Bradford back to Leeds a couple of seasons ago when he did a good job as stand in LB. What a thoroughly decent polite young man he was, therefore I have no axe to grind against him whether he's our highest paid  Driesen signing or not, it's simple defensive footballing ability at this level and the same mistakes aerially that keep repeating.
    We know that he has improved a lot since his last spell in the Championship especially under the coaching of Bowyer who was on record, remember, wanting him to be more 'nasty' in the  challenge and he seemed to respond to this. Yes he is a big confidence player and whether it's the hangover from the missed penalty in the play off semi followed by the og in the final or the step up in quality to the Championship I know not but I do know that we can't keep persevering with a 6'5'' CB who is vulnerable in the air.
    The same as Dillon his job is to stop goals and help to keep clean sheets, stuff being a ball juggler. Yes it's great that he can make fantastic defence splitting or pinpoint accuracy cross field balls or complete one hundred passes but that's no good if you can't do your basic defending job at the back'. Of course It's Hobson's choice at the moment with an 'if your fit you play' policy but come the January transfer window we desperately need another option at CB because notwithstanding their other attributes Pearce, Lockyer and Oshilaja don't give us that aerial presence IMO.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    I've defended Naby in the past and some of you may recall I briefly spoke to him on the train journey from Bradford back to Leeds a couple of seasons ago when he did a good job as stand in LB. What a thoroughly decent polite young man he was, therefore I have no axe to grind against him whether he's our highest paid  Driesen signing or not, it's simple defensive footballing ability at this level and the same mistakes aerially that keep repeating.
    We know that he has improved a lot since his last spell in the Championship especially under the coaching of Bowyer who was on record, remember, wanting him to be more 'nasty' in the  challenge and he seemed to respond to this. Yes he is a big confidence player and whether it's the hangover from the missed penalty in the play off semi followed by the og in the final or the step up in quality to the Championship I know not but I do know that we can't keep persevering with a 6'5'' CB who is vulnerable in the air.
    The same as Dillon his job is to stop goals and help to keep clean sheets, stuff being a ball juggler. Yes it's great that he can make fantastic defence splitting or pinpoint accuracy cross field balls or complete one hundred passes but that's no good if you can't do your basic defending job at the back'. Of course It's Hobson's choice at the moment with an 'if your fit you play' policy but come the January transfer window we desperately need another option at CB because notwithstanding there other attributes Pearce, Lockyer and Oshilaja don't give us that aerial presence IMO.

Don't disagree with you but Oshilaja won a few headers against that giant gonzalez Nuhiu. Probably has a better leap than Sarr.
  • Options
    Oshilaja makes a lot of poor passes - that seems to be his biggest weakness. He's physically strong and good at tackling.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Talal said:
    RedChaser said:
    The same as Dillon his job is to stop goals and help to keep clean sheets, stuff being a ball juggler. Yes it's great that he can make fantastic defence splitting or pinpoint accuracy cross field balls or complete one hundred passes but that's no good if you can't do your basic defending job at the back'. Of course It's Hobson's choice at the moment with an 'if your fit you play' policy but come the January transfer window we desperately need another option at CB because notwithstanding there other attributes Pearce, Lockyer and Oshilaja don't give us that aerial presence IMO.

Don't disagree with you but Oshilaja won a few headers against that giant gonzalez Nuhiu. Probably has a better leap than Sarr.
    Fair comment but he's got previous getting easily outmuscled at set pieces at Wigan 0-2 defeat the other month.
  • Options
    @Dazzler21 after watching the second half, Leko didn’t have a very good second half. Won a free kick in a dangerous area after making a good run with the ball, and he also had a great shot that went narrowly over when the game was at 2-1. Other than that, I counted that he lost the ball 8 times which is a lot in the little of the ball he did have.
  • Options
    I like Sarr, and he seems to be a personable guy that cares about the club and always tries his best. 

By all accounts, he's on a fair wedge, though, and I think this could be used better elsewhere. 

He's overly criticised IMHO and I agree that costly mistakes against Millwall especially have reinforced the idea that he's a liability (myself included to some extent).

Let him leave on a free in the summer, no bad blood. Tried his best, had some excellent games and some below-par games but that can be said for every player. 
  • Options
    CAFCOlly said:
    I like Sarr, and he seems to be a personable guy that cares about the club and always tries his best. 

By all accounts, he's on a fair wedge, though, and I think this could be used better elsewhere. 

He's overly criticised IMHO and I agree that costly mistakes against Millwall especially have reinforced the idea that he's a liability (myself included to some extent).

Let him leave on a free in the summer, no bad blood. Tried his best, had some excellent games and some below-par games but that can be said for every player. 
    I think that's very fair. I think he could go well in continental football, where there is a little less aerial play. 

We would miss his passing out style though (unless replaced). He feeds so many good balls into midfield and out to the left-wing (yesterday's goal started with one of those). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

We're a professional football club, not a daycare centre for athletes with fragile self belief.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Part of the vulnerability of our defence must be down to the revolving door of who plays there and whether it is a 3 or 4.  Sarr is not an ever present, nor is he playing with same partner every match. Bowyer and Jackson were midfielders and perhaps don't understand the importance of a settled back-line.

Morrison, and Taylor played nearly every match. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Oggy Red said:

In the ground no one gives him abuse which is right, but he is pretty shit, how many more mistakes can he make?
    I’m sorry but that’s bullshit. He gets constant abuse from the stands... I swear some of you look forward to bashing him. 
    I suppose it depends where you sit. I heard one bloke shouting abuse today, but he's the only one I've ever heard in the Upper North.
  • Options
    Part of the vulnerability of our defence must be down to the revolving door of who plays there and whether it is a 3 or 4.  Sarr is not an ever present, nor is he playing with same partner every match. Bowyer and Jackson were midfielders and perhaps don't understand the importance of a settled back-line.

Morrison, and Taylor played nearly every match. 
    To be fair, you do have a point. Yes, we have players who can’t play 3 games in a week, have had injuries etc. Up until now, Lockyer has been the only ever present, and that’s the whole team.
    Do I think that the amount of changes (forced or not) has contributed to the amount of goals we are conceding at the moment? Yes, I think you’d have to say it is. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    @Dazzler21 after watching the second half, Leko didn’t have a very good second half. Won a free kick in a dangerous area after making a good run with the ball, and he also had a great shot that went narrowly over when the game was at 2-1. Other than that, I counted that he lost the ball 8 times which is a lot in the little of the ball he did have.
    Cheers for the update, I was certain my eyes hadn't deceived me. I do try to give a fair opinion on all players and thought Leko had turned a corner last week, this week was a full regression. 

Shame for such a skillful player 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Sage said:
    Cheers for the update, I was certain my eyes hadn't deceived me. I do try to give a fair opinion on all players and thought Leko had turned a corner last week, this week was a full regression. 

I thought Leko played very well in the first half and things didn't come off for him in the second half. He certainly doesn't deserve the level of criticism he gets as he at least tries to make things happen.

If he never tried anything and played safety first then his stats would appear better. Seems some are desperate to criticise him.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Sage said:

I thought Leko played very well in the first half and things didn't come off for him in the second half. He certainly doesn't deserve the level of criticism he gets as he at least tries to make things happen.

If he never tried anything and played safety first then his stats would appear better. Seems some are desperate to criticise him.

I truly hope we can see more of the midweek Leko as there's a proper player there, but this is a thread about Sarr and if you replace Leko with Sarr in your text, barring the first goal you've  got the truth of many on this forum's treatment of Sarr... 

• Options
    The cross was banged in first time by Bannon and that was key to Fletcher getting to it first. It was a brilliant downward header into the corner.