Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Joe Gomez rumours (ed. Signed for Liverpool)

Comments

• Options

Prague

You have been around football for too long if you think that

I have explained it over and over, it's about how a player can learn and adjust to a whole squad of new faces, new mgmt, new levels of boredom and homesickness ,

Fine. At Liverpool. That is supposed to be why he is going

This is done without it being to the detriment of the player and new squad he is joining, once Liverpool actually realise how good he is and how mature he seemingly is for themselves, I reckon Joe Gomez will be in their first team by Christmas

Money on it? (payment to the Upbeats?)

Why should anyone who really wishes Joe the best for his future not think that this is a pivotal part of his football education and see it as a swipe at the negotiations of the old club

As above. I wish him well. I believe his experience at Liverpool will be pivotal. if he immediately gets shipped off to fucking Derby, that is just ridiculous.

• Options
    I could not believe how mature and humble Joe was when I interviewed him for News Shopper. Without a doubt one of the best I have come across.

There's no doubt that under the right guidance, he will go onto better things and hopefully, one day, England.
  • Options
    £3.5M for the best youngster we've ever had and a potential star of the game.
    Close the club down.
  • Options
    I'm hearing 5.2 up front rising to 8 with add-ons
  • Options
    masicat said:

Good luck Joe. Glad our Valley Gold money has once again bought through a good youngster like Shelvey and Jenkinson. Anyone know the total amount of first team games played by these three youth products?

Just over 80 games in total.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

I'm hearing 5.2 up front rising to 8 with add-ons

If true that will cover last seasons losses, but not the overall debt.
    So I am hoping to see some real investment in the club when the lorries trundle down Sparrows Lane on October 21st for the training ground work.
    As for the team, well sell Reza for £3.5 million and there's your spending money.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

People happy to say Sky and BBC are lying because Olly Groome works for the club and he should know

sorry but how do we know the club have not told Olly Groome to put it out there that the it was more than £3.5M just to keep fans happy.

Believe who you want, but I am more inclined to agree with people who don't care about trying to keep Charlton fans happy and try to stick to the facts about football

I once said on here that I wouldn't be surprised if the following happens at transfer time....

Chairman of club A " Hello there Chairman B, can you help me placate my fans for my lack of activity in the market & at the same time placate yours for under -selling your best players"

"What great idea do you have" says Chairman B

" You tell the media that I have bid £xxxx for your star player" replies Chairman A " but you have turned it down. That way my fans will think that I am at least trying to buy someone and yours will thank you for turning down such an offer"

a win-win situation.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    masicat said:

Good luck Joe. Glad our Valley Gold money has once again bought through a good youngster like Shelvey and Jenkinson. Anyone know the total amount of first team games played by these three youth products?

Jenkinson. 8
    Gomez. 21
    Shelvey. 42
    Palmer. 0
    Huddart. 0
    Ajayi. 0
    Poyet. 20
    Cousins. 84

Probably our best youth players of the last few years and Shelvey and Cousins apart we have barely seen them.
  • Options

masicat said:

Jenkinson. 8
    Gomez. 21
    Shelvey. 42
    Palmer. 0
    Huddart. 0
    Ajayi. 0
    Poyet. 20
    Cousins. 84

Probably our best youth players of the last few years and Shelvey and Cousins apart we have barely seen them.
    No Solly?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

masicat said:

Jenkinson. 8
    Gomez. 21
    Shelvey. 42
    Palmer. 0
    Huddart. 0
    Ajayi. 0
    Poyet. 20
    Cousins. 84

No Solly?
    That's a good point, but would he still be here if he did not have the knee problem?

• Options
    Can I contribute a more positive note? Although none of them are at the standard of Joe Gomez, we still have some very good prospects at the club. Maybe not even a Shelvey, but in my view we certainly have more than one as good as, or even better than Poyet..
    If our narrative is to be an English Auxerre then it is actually a better scenario than being a complete nonentity.
    Personally I would like us to be a club that produces good players but also a club that wins.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

masicat said:

Jenkinson. 8
    Gomez. 21
    Shelvey. 42
    Palmer. 0
    Huddart. 0
    Ajayi. 0
    Poyet. 20
    Cousins. 84

No Solly?
    Sure, he is a few years older and I only went back so far. Also a fairly special case as with decent knees he would have gone a long time ago. What is interesting is comparing it with best players of years gone by, so comparing with post above

Rob Lee. 298
    Bowyer. 46
    Scott Minto. 180.
    Paul Walsh. 87
    Paul Elliott. 63
    Parker. 128. (More than any club he went to!)
    Rufus. 288
    Konchesky. 149

We have always been a selling club but football has certainly changed.

• Options

masicat said:

Jenkinson. 8
    Gomez. 21
    Shelvey. 42
    Palmer. 0
    Huddart. 0
    Ajayi. 0
    Poyet. 20
    Cousins. 84

Yes, gone are the days when the likes of Bowyer, Konchesky etc would play 2 or 3 seasons before leaving.

I blame the new Premier League (or is it UEFA or FIFA) rules that say you need a certain number of home-grown players in your squad. It means if Liverpool want to buy a £30m international striker they also need to shell out £3 million on a youngster, They may never play that youngster (look at Chelsea) but helps then buy the players they REALLY want.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    good luck to the young man--seems like a nice guy. lets hope he goes to the level many believe he can.

always been a selling club--ALWAYS. It dosnt make it any easier on us the fans but its the truth.

Firmani
    Hinton
    Bonds
    Went
    Tracey
    Campbel
    Paul Elliot
    Walsh
    Hales
    Flanagan
    Lee
    Bowyer
    Parker
    Shelvey
    Poyet
    Jenkinson

many many others i cant be arsed to remember.

Football is shit these days the "holy grail" of the Prem dosh we all crave.

Will still rack upto games either tho its a shleep now but its about ur mates and the memories --not Sky--not RD

• Options
    It's exactly the reason golf , I was playing a Rd at the nth Essex club, 4 ball with an agent an ex prem player and the dad of a player who now plays in the prem ,

we got to the 19th with me understanding more than ever how these three people all need each other in the modern game,

I was saying it's about time this rule was bought in as we had spent the last hr slating McClaren, capello and sven and their failure to build on what was a great pool of England's finest players,

The agent and the dad said well I'd find a new club or hope you get promoted as you have some real quality players coming through that you will never see the best of as the top clubs because of this rule will take them and get them cheap due to the lack of game time they will have with you, infact they both thought we wouldn't ever see gomez In the first team ,

I will have a bullseye with you prague as I believe he is too good not to get to.the top right now
  • Options
    Way its going i am afraid. Unless either Club discloses the fee we will never know, just as Sky Bbc et al don't know now. At the end of the day just be thankyou Joe signed a new contract last year and we have got a fee. If not we would have got diddly like Poyet. So thanks Joe and all the best.
  • Options
    I understand the logic of this deal, for Joe and the club. So my head gets it but my heart still says no. I feel absolutely gutted that we had him for such a short period of time.

Good luck Joe. Future England player/captain in my humble view.

Will be absolutely fuming though, if the money isn't used to clearly strengthen the team. Also if Joe goes out on loan to another Championship side. That would be a real kick in the bollocks.
  • Options

It's exactly the reason golf , I was playing a Rd at the nth Essex club, 4 ball with an agent an ex prem player and the dad of a player who now plays in the prem ,

we got to the 19th with me understanding more than ever how these three people all need each other in the modern game,

I was saying it's about time this rule was bought in as we had spent the last hr slating McClaren, capello and sven and their failure to build on what was a great pool of England's finest players,

The agent and the dad said well I'd find a new club or hope you get promoted as you have some real quality players coming through that you will never see the best of as the top clubs because of this rule will take them and get them cheap due to the lack of game time they will have with you, infact they both thought we wouldn't ever see gomez In the first team ,

I will have a bullseye with you prague as I believe he is too good not to get to.the top right now

Agreed.

I certainly agree he looks like being an absolutely top player. I just don't think he'll be in the Liverpool team by Christmas. That's the trouble with these moves. You've kind of spelt out the reason in the earlier part of the post.

If instead we have to watch him at the Valley in a Derby shirt keeping Vetokele in his pocket, well, I think you'll want to ask yourself where English football is going and what the hell we do about it.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Money grabber. He was rubbish anyway. He will sit on the bench.

Just kidding. Best of luck Joe. I'd have done the same.
  • Options

masicat said:

Jenkinson. 8
    Gomez. 21
    Shelvey. 42
    Palmer. 0
    Huddart. 0
    Ajayi. 0
    Poyet. 20
    Cousins. 84

will be honest was not sure who Huddart was,

surely we should not have got rid of him, he passed the CL height test

• Options
    Don't blame the player but the quoted £3.5m is derisory.
  • Options
    I think it's not 3.5 Mil tbh
  • Options
    Ketts has said the fee is around £7m
  • Options

I think it's not 3.5 Mil tbh

Less?!
  • Options

Ketts has said the fee is around £7m

And he is normally fairly close to the truth
  • Options
    I can't wait for us to announce an "exciting youth development tie-up with Liverpool as a result of the deal, which will see young talent from the Merseyside club coming to Charlton"

Jonjo Shelvey - still playing in Prem (for Swansea).
    Nathan Eccleston - now playing for Kilmarnock.
  • Options
    Roland's will insist that the best young players in the network play for us after cashing Joe in for such a large amount. Great for us but we're going to be loathed by fans all around Europe.