Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post Match Comments: Cardiff 1-2 Charlton

Comments

• The turning point - literally and metaphorically - is Tony Watt. Last Saturday at The Valley he received the ball 30 yards out, turned, advanced, left the Huddersfield defence for dead - and hammered a 20-yard shot that sent the Covered End into delirium.

For three seasons we have watched with mounting horror the moves from our players 30 yards from goal: sideways by default, backwards and returned, and then the minor kerfuffle on the half-way line for a deflated throw-in.

Watt's first goal last week was excellent, too: stretching back for Vetokele's misplaced pass, recovering his balance and poking the ball precisely past Smithies. Tony Watt has taken us - and, most importantly, our opponents - by the scruff of the neck. That is utterly superb.

I completely agree with you regarding Watt. He has been a breath of fresh air!

I also think we should aknowledge the impact the return of Henderson has had on the defence and, of course, everyone's favourite fallGUY Luzon.
  • pickwick said:

Any videos of the goals?

You can see both of ours (from behind the goal) here at 2 minutes and 20 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25WHVYWZNS4
    No way was our first offside. I must admit I thought it was at first but you can clearly see their man on the edge of the 6 yard box playing him on.
  • WE ARE THE C......!!
  • Another fantastic result - coming away from Cardiff with all 3 points should never be underestimated.
    The players have really responded to Luzon and the run we are on is astonishing considering what preceded it.
    Let's continue to finish the season strongly, build on what we have during the summer and really make a challenge next season.
  • Is it bad that a little part of me is actually starting to think we might make a go at the playoffs? It's a big if, but if we can beat Blackburn we then have Blackpool, Reading, Millsmall, Fulham, Bolton, Wednesday, Leeds, Birmingham, Fulham, Bournemouth... A lot of winnable games in there
  • CAFCsayer said:

Is it bad that a little part of me is actually starting to think we might make a go at the playoffs? It's a big if, but if we can beat Blackburn we then have Blackpool, Reading, Millsmall, Fulham, Bolton, Wednesday, Leeds, Birmingham, Fulham, Bournemouth... A lot of winnable games in there

You must behave yourself.
    Taking 7 months to get a partner for Igor killed our hopes of the play off.

Your got Fulham twice ? we already had our TV game at the cottage.

You are allowed to dream thou.

• Sponsored links:

• I don't honestly believe that we'll get playoffs, but when you look at games against Blackpool, Millwall, Reading, Bolton and Fulham they should all be relatively easy games considering how we are playing and how they are. Wednesday, Leeds and Birmingham are nothing special and are just in a bit of form (I realise you can argue that so are we). And it's only Blackburn and Bournemouth that I reckon are going to be a real slog. No harm in dreaming!
  • I have seen CAFC in Cardiff twice now
    First time we won 4-1 and it was at Ninian park. It was a horrible experience
    Today was totally different, we won again but the Welsh were really good in their defeat and there were no probs
    And to Nicholas pleasure to see u again
  • CAFCsayer said:

I don't honestly believe that we'll get playoffs, but when you look at games against Blackpool, Millwall, Reading, Bolton and Fulham they should all be relatively easy games considering how we are playing and how they are. Wednesday, Leeds and Birmingham are nothing special and are just in a bit of form (I realise you can argue that so are we). And it's only Blackburn and Bournemouth that I reckon are going to be a real slog. No harm in dreaming!

All those teams will be saying the same thing when they see us as a future fixture.
  • seth plum said:

...I am expecting a series of wins now to take us to the play offs otherwise this season will have been a bit of a waste.

I wish I had your optimism, Seth. The chances of us making the play offs according to this site are 0.05448%.
  • edited March 2015
    Magnificent result , just like Tuesday I thought the starting 11 had no chance of winning and Guy Luzon football genius changed things up to gain us a result
    My 9 year old had a little footy birthday party where his named team of Charlton , came out winners in a mini League with Arsenal and Ipswich , I reffed the Matches and tbh wasn't concerned about the footy once the scum were getting well beat
    To find out we'd won as well was the icing on the cake of a great footballing day.

We won't make the play offs we won't go down
    We can only hope the scum are banished to the lower leagues where they belong

He comes from the wailing wall
    He farking hates millwall
    Guy Luuuzon whoooooa
    Guy Luuuzon whoooooa

60% 7th-12th ........ 40% 13th-21st
  • No way do I believe we will make the play offs but if we did then the momentum behind us would be tremendous and .... Premier league here we come

Sweet Dreams are made of this
  • We have made progress. After 36 games last season we had 35 points and were looking relegation fodder. A superb comeback and result today, good to hear that GL recognised the away following.
  • The 13 matches between Reading away and Brentford home is now incredibly frustrating with hindsight.

Even just a point per game during this period would now have put us on 55pts, with a much more realistic shot at the play-offs.
  • The 13 matches between Reading away and Brentford home is now incredibly frustrating with hindsight.

Even just a point per game during this period would now have put us on 55pts, with a much more realistic shot at the play-offs.

But where you are in the table says how good you are as a football team.
  • Sponsored links:

Exactly. Mid table teams have dips and rises of form. Don't be surprised if we have another dip before the end of the season.

Exactly. Mid table teams have dips and rises of form. Don't be surprised if we have another dip before the end of the season.
    6pts from 13 games is one hell of a dip!
  • CAFCsayer said:

I don't honestly believe that we'll get playoffs, but when you look at games against Blackpool, Millwall, Reading, Bolton and Fulham they should all be relatively easy games considering how we are playing and how they are. Wednesday, Leeds and Birmingham are nothing special and are just in a bit of form (I realise you can argue that so are we). And it's only Blackburn and Bournemouth that I reckon are going to be a real slog. No harm in dreaming!

Yeah those teams we always beat; Blackpool, Fulham, Bolton and MILWALL! ;-)
  • Stig said:

seth plum said:

...I am expecting a series of wins now to take us to the play offs otherwise this season will have been a bit of a waste.

I wish I had your optimism, Seth. The chances of us making the play offs according to this site are 0.05448%.
    Not optimism. This regime has created this set up and basically my attitude is 'if you're all that, then prove it'. The compensation for a somewhat bewildering and often miserable Charlton supporting experience is wins.

• It shows we need to play two up front - and that with Watt, Church can work as an option, which is useful to know. When we had to push and press we did and got two late goals but if we are going to win every remaining game we have to set out like this.

Why were keepers wearing grey shirts? I saw Cardiff keeper had green, but what about the orange shirt?

• You could have been forgiven for leaving at the end of the first half. A game devoid of any atmosphere, in the main due to the turgid affair on the pitch. Lepoint looks to be a dreadful signing and not sure he merits a place in the team, even on the bench. Also have to question the decision of GL to put Igor on the bench, especially when we were chasing the game having gone a goal down. That said, once Cardiff scored, we upped our game, got shot of Lepoint and turned the game. Thought Bulot and Cousins looked below their best and was fearing the worst when the former was subbed for Church but he turned the game dramatically as he gave his all. Disappointed tho that he didn't drive in on goal when he turned their defender and showed him a clean pair of heels.

Possibly a tad fortuitous to win it, that said no idea what game Slade was watching. GL has turned the tide dramatically and has the players playing for him, even Fox looks to have improved. Tony Watt is just a workaholic. He is so energetic and causes mischief everywhere he goes. Rojo looks accomplished and gives us a real balance in the centre of defence.

Excellent vocal support from all that went….
  • edited March 2015

It shows we need to play two up front - and that with Watt, Church can work as an option, which is useful to know. When we had to push and press we did and got two late goals but if we are going to win every remaining game we have to set out like this.

Why were keepers wearing grey shirts? I saw Cardiff keeper had green, but what about the orange shirt?

Wasn't Lepoint playing up front?
  • Scoham said:

It shows we need to play two up front - and that with Watt, Church can work as an option, which is useful to know. When we had to push and press we did and got two late goals but if we are going to win every remaining game we have to set out like this.

Wasn't Lepoint playing up front?
    Hmmmmmmmm
  • edited March 2015
    You can't really play a midfielder up front. Not properley. I meant two font men up front.