Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

"Charlton CEO surprises a young supporter at The Valley"

Comments

• Swisdom said:

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

People bitch that she never responds.
    People bitch when she responded to a young fan.

Who cares if it is a PR stunt - this is the sort of stuff the club did in the past and people praised it as the club was connecting with the fans. For fucks sake why can't some people stop trying to twist everything the club does.

F**k pressing like..............so this and this again.........

• Instead of indirectly communicating to fans by using Jackson's quotes from the SLP and contrived interviews with teenage fans, why don't the club just talk directly to the Trust?
  • Stig said:

Looking at that video, finances must be tighter than I'd thought. Just getting got the meeting room was like a game of blind mans buff ;-)

...Katrien's also got terrible posture. Heading for back trouble in later life that one.

As for the timing, everyone's entitled to a view but it's a coincidence too far for me to accept.
  • I cannot believe how hot under the collar so many people get as a result of a video'd interview with a young Addick.
    Of course the timing is not a co-incidence and of course it was done for PR purposes but does that make it something to get wound up about? NO.
    That lad would seem to be a lot more mature than many of his elders.

The reason I find it disappointing that she did this, is that it seems to me a calculated message to the Trust that she would rather talk in a controlled environment to a single pre-selected fan. I do not believe that the Trust has behaved in a way which remotely deserves such snub. As I must once again emphasise, the public meeting has only been called after all reasonable attempts at dialogue (endorsed by Katrien's only other Board member based in London) failed, and in response to the evident disquiet of various elements of the fan base, of which the Trust is just one- but the one best able to actually organise a meeting and hold it in a responsible way.

It is a move which shows contempt for reasonable people asking reasonable questions. As a PR activity, I find it to be ill-conceived, and the majority response here entirely understandable.
    Maybe she's an Enneagram Type 5 and has an aversion to a lot of Type 1s..................I know I do.
  • I cannot believe how hot under the collar so many people get as a result of a video'd interview with a young Addick.
    Of course the timing is not a co-incidence and of course it was done for PR purposes but does that make it something to get wound up about? NO.

The reason I find it disappointing that she did this, is that it seems to me a calculated message to the Trust that she would rather talk in a controlled environment to a single pre-selected fan. I do not believe that the Trust has behaved in a way which remotely deserves such snub. As I must once again emphasise, the public meeting has only been called after all reasonable attempts at dialogue (endorsed by Katrien's only other Board member based in London) failed, and in response to the evident disquiet of various elements of the fan base, of which the Trust is just one- but the one best able to actually organise a meeting and hold it in a responsible way.

It is a move which shows contempt for reasonable people asking reasonable questions. As a PR activity, I find it to be ill-conceived, and the majority response here entirely understandable.
    Maybe she's an Enneagram Type 5 and has an aversion to a lot of Type 1s..................I know I do.
    For the benefit of the rest of us:

Type Five is perceptive, innovative, secretive, and isolated.
    Type One is principled, purposeful, self-controlled, and perfectionistic.

Could have been worse

Type Eight is self-confident, decisive, willful, and confrontational.

• Ps. If you are the lad looking in or are his parent, well done lad, you done well and that's a great thing to have on your CV

Yup, ignoring the politics of this for a moment I agree he did a lot better than I would have done at that age.
  • Addicted said:

Ps. If you are the lad looking in or are his parent, well done lad, you done well and that's a great thing to have on your CV

Yup, ignoring the politics of this for a moment I agree he did a lot better than I would have done at that age.
    Think he did a lot better than I would do now!
  • edited February 2015

I cannot believe how hot under the collar so many people get as a result of a video'd interview with a young Addick.

I assume it's intended to appeal over the heads of the trust board and anyone anxious and equipped to challenge the narrative presented, on the assumption that most people do not want the kind of detailed and genuine responses that they are looking for. It's not surprising if the club adopts a siege mentality that presupposes the people asking the difficult questions are responsible for stirring up the rest - the same explanation is given on here by some and I guess we all want to believe our own position is the sensible and majority one.

The real questions remain about RD's interventions in team selection and the extent to which they are based on advice from a group of computer geeks, since he is unlikely to have a useful view of his own. They are about the extent to which he is prepared to fund the only viable future for the club - seeking promotion to the Premier League, whether that is by youth development and prudent investment or pushing the FFP rules to their limit. If the former, how realistic are his plans for the training ground and will they be delivered? These answers can be tested over time and against the known facts, which is why I doubt there will be an honest and detailed response.

No doubt tonight there will be promises of jam this summer and stretching out to the horizon, but don't be surprised, Katrien, if what you say is judged against the evidence and you with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Perhaps someone (not me) could email the 91 other CEOs and report back on the response rates;

No reply.
    Acknowledgement / Generic response / Fob off
    Full (detailed) response as to what the 3 / 5 / 10 year plan is for that club

• Perhaps someone (not me) could email the 91 other CEOs and report back on the response rates;

No reply.

Well at Swansea it will be the third response because one of the directors represents the 20% share held directly by the fans. He was even prepared to discuss their plans with me! They were hardly revolutionary, but eminently sensible, BTW. And they seem to be working.

No reply.

Well at Swansea it will be the third response because one of the directors represents the 20% share held directly by the fans. He was even prepared to discuss their plans with me! They were hardly revolutionary, but eminently sensible, BTW. And they seem to be working.

Ok, good start - so out of 92, the results so far are as follows

No reply.

(91)

(0)

(1) - Swansea

No reply.

In the interview Katrien said she had been getting loads but the lads one 'stood out'. On the face of it then, she read every email sent to her.
    Notwithstanding people complaining about a lack of reply from Katrien, including Wendy Perfect when she was a working colleague of Katrien's at Charlton Athletic' you need to update your database to two don't you?
  • seth plum said:

Perhaps someone (not me) could email the 91 other CEOs and report back on the response rates;

No reply.

In the interview Katrien said she had been getting loads but the lads one 'stood out'. On the face of it then, she read every email sent to her.
    Notwithstanding people complaining about a lack of reply from Katrien, including Wendy Perfect when she was a working colleague of Katrien's at Charlton Athletic' you need to update your database to two don't you?
    Probably me being thick..What do I need to do?!
  • It's your database not mine, I have just pointed out an inaccuracy.
  • Roland is it? Huh?

No reply.

No reply.

(91)

(0)

(1) - Swansea
    If I wanted to be equally inane in my response to you, I would say I'm getting a 100% response for option three.

But that would be absurd.

I'm pretty confident though that a fan of Portsmouth or AFC Wimbledon, to name but two, would also get response three. Rather than argue with me, since you won't believe anything I would answer, why don't you put your point to Supporters' Direct, and particularly Kevin Rye, their Head of Policy and PR, who happens to be an AFCW fan too. Since he spent an hour of his valuable family time last night advising the Trust, tyou'll find he's well aware of the situation at Charlton and the shades of opinion within the fan base. Give it a try, if you are serious.

No reply.

No reply.

(91)

(0)

(1) - Swansea
    If I wanted to be equally inane in my response to you, I would say I'm getting a 100% response for option three.

I'm pretty confident though that a fan of Portsmouth or AFC Wimbledon, to name but two, would also get response three. Rather than argue with me, since you won't believe anything I would answer, why don't you put your point to Supporters' Direct, and particularly Kevin Rye, their Head of Policy and PR, who happens to be an AFCW fan too. Since he spent an hour of his valuable family time last night advising the Trust, tyou'll find he's well aware of the situation at Charlton and the shades of opinion within the fan base. Give it a try, if you are serious.

Very defensive response there to a lighthearted update on a serious point I raised. I would be amazed if KM is in the minority when it comes to CEOs (not) responding to fans.

so out of 92, the results so far are as follows

No reply.

(89)

(0)

(3) - Swansea
    - AFC Wimbledon (probably)
    - Portsmouth (probably)
  • Sponsored links:

• Still inaccurate.

No reply.

The responses would be somewhat in line with the size of the club, a club like Man Utd or Man City the response would be unnecessary and is very well documented without the need for using the workforces time in responding to such e-mails when in fact you are only asking to prove a point/complete a survey, the exact response meaning nothing.

It's quite an irrelevant point imo.

If you had problems with the bank you used and the CEO's attitude to the whole situation, would you then approach all of the other banks in the UK to see if they would have a better attitude/response to it? No, you'd try work on your bank to come to some sort of solution/middle ground.

No reply.

No reply.

(91)

(0)

(1) - Swansea

Very defensive response there to a lighthearted update on a serious point I raised. I would be amazed if KM is in the minority when it comes to CEOs (not) responding to fans.

No reply.

(89)

(0)

(3) - Swansea
    - Portsmouth (probably)
    What is "defensive" about simply stating facts, and directing you to the experts who can help you with more, if you persist with your slightly ridiculous line?

A reasonable estimate is that a fan of a particular club will get a coherent response resembling your "three" in many if not most of the clubs in the two lower divisions, thanks to strong engaged Trusts. They will be less successful if they support an FAPL club, however one more set of fans who could probably get such a response is, and I hate to say this, with every bone in my body, Crystal Palace.

Ah, but I missed your smiley. Must fix these glasses.
  • seth plum said:

Still inaccurate.

Pot. Kettle.

5 games.

I assume it's intended to appeal over the heads of the trust board and anyone anxious and equipped to challenge the narrative presented, on the assumption that most people do not want the kind of detailed and genuine responses that they are looking for. It's not surprising if the club adopts a siege mentality that presupposes the people asking the difficult questions are responsible for stirring up the rest - the same explanation is given on here by some and I guess we all want to believe our own position is the sensible and majority one.

The real questions remain about RD's interventions in team selection and the extent to which they are based on advice from a group of computer geeks, since he is unlikely to have a useful view of his own. They are about the extent to which he is prepared to fund the only viable future for the club - seeking promotion to the Premier League, whether that is by youth development and prudent investment or pushing the FFP rules to their limit. If the former, how realistic are his plans for the training ground and will they be delivered? These answers can be tested over time and against the known facts, which is why I doubt there will be an honest and detailed response.

No doubt tonight there will be promises of jam this summer and stretching out to the horizon, but don't be surprised, Katrien, if what you say is judged against the evidence and you with it.

Good post Rick with eminently sensible questions which deserve honest replies.
    Unfortunately I’m not sure if the replies would be deemed to be honest and acceptable by those whose wish is to see the back of R.D. and his network.
  • Greenie said:

A patronising damage limitation exercise put out by the club, no more no less.
    Any politician will tell you, when the shit is splattering into the fan (sic) kiss some babies.
    This is just KM's baby kissing exercise.
    Its a bit naive to think anything less. Were we all born yesterday?

I thought the young lad did well, and fair lay to him for putting the Q's across well.

But if they really wanted to be taken seriously, then get a cross section of fans in. say 4-5 and let them ask pertinent and uncomfortable Q's and put the vid on youtube, which would be more revealing and believable.

I learnt nothing watching this vid.

But isn't this exactly what the club are doing by showing the VIP meeting Greenie ?

No reply.

No reply.

(91)

(0)

(1) - Swansea

No reply.

(89)

(0)

(3) - Swansea
    - Portsmouth (probably)

Don't understand why you are comparing us to other clubs. Why do we care what other CEO's do? We care about what our CEO does, and she will only please fans more if she did respond to more emails. The CEO where I work, not getting into where, but a name in sport that is known further afield than just England, responds to every single email he gets. Doesn't mean he has to, or other CEO's do, but it helps make him very successful and well liked.
  • seth plum said:

Still inaccurate.

Pot. Kettle.

5 games.
    6 games...accurate :smile:

No reply.

The responses would be somewhat in line with the size of the club, a club like Man Utd or Man City the response would be unnecessary and is very well documented without the need for using the workforces time in responding to such e-mails when in fact you are only asking to prove a point/complete a survey, the exact response meaning nothing.

It's quite an irrelevant point imo.

If you had problems with the bank you used and the CEO's attitude to the whole situation, would you then approach all of the other banks in the UK to see if they would have a better attitude/response to it? No, you'd try work on your bank to come to some sort of solution/middle ground.

Very true, but the lack of response is being used as a huge stick to beat the club with, it would be interesting to know whether this is the 'norm' in the industry or not.

I would expect a full response from the CEO of AFC Wimbledon.
    I would expect a full response from the CEO of Cosmo Cleaners (15% discount for Charlton life Users)

I would expect an automated / generic response from the CEO of Manchester United
    I would expect an automated / generic response from the CEO of Apple

Clubs / Businesses between the 2 extremes above...I would have thought response rates were varied
  • So is it communication with the fans that people want, or communication with The Trust? I'm confused.