Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

"Charlton CEO surprises a young supporter at The Valley"

Comments

• I note that Jimmy Stone's tweets on the broadcast have been taken down, as have their reproduction on this thread by @wwaddickson. Whatever his reason, it jut adds to an impression of rampant control-freakery around the Club today

If Jimmy has taken down the tweets then my links will no longer work.
  • Conspiracy

Aliens
  • No its just how the internet works
  • edited February 2015
    thenewbie said:

I note that Jimmy Stone's tweets on the broadcast have been taken down, as have their reproduction on this thread by @wwaddickson. Whatever his reason, it jut adds to an impression of rampant control-freakery around the Club today

Didn't think JS was affliated directly with the club any more - they can't take those tweets down, only he could.
    I don't suggest the club took them down, of course. But something made him take them down. Seems a bit drastic, he was just expressing an opinion, and went out of his way to be fair.
  • edited February 2015
    It's a typical PR video which i have no problem with.

One thing that is obvious is that the video and the timing of the VIP meeting are not coincidental and the reaction of the fans at the Norwich game and the Trust meeting on Wednesday have people connected to the club very concerned.
  • Maybe getting to the younger fans is the best chance the club have of giving an alternative opinion to other than some of the unbelievably biased views on the Internet

Is applaud them for trying to engage, and I think too much is being looked into in the Luzon appointment, the guy ain't being given a fair crack, Riga started out as the Belgian yes man and finished quite popular, at some stage the anger must be pointed at RD, and let Luzon just be judged on results

Afraid I disagree entirely!
    I can understand if you buy a club and wish to change the players because you don't like what you inherit. And I have championed the foresight of the previous owners for not tying the 2012-14 squad down to long term contracts (except academy players) because that squad wasn't good enough to mount a challenge.
    And perhaps staffing structures and personnel are changed along with outsourcing to simplify things.

But the idea that you reject the fans when they have followed the club for generations, saved the club and then help regenerate the club is just ludicrous! For sure there are some of the "old guard" who criticise anything and everything - I see an article in VOTV this time arguing that the spine of the team 12 months ago was stronger than it is now even though it neglects to mention Watt and Cousins! It was written before Saturday but reading it in the wake of our win was funny.

But that's just one opinion from a particular constituency of ex-staffers who have a history and a view. To run away from the adult fanbase because of this or some bizarre and xenophobic opinions on the Web is not dealing with things. I've stated before that it is the complete vacuum in communications which has created distrust, allegations of incompetence and creative projections of the real Staprix motivation.
    It is the complete and abject failure to address the fans in a sincere engagement which is the issue. They have raced through to deliver this meeting one day before the Trust meeting with online broadcast to boot.

And that is a victory for the Trust and their original intent to enhance communication. Let's see how the dialogue develops with the adults?!

• I think she has done the right thing by communicating in a non-aggressive atmosphere and actually good on her. If she did that every month during these turbulent times (especially the change of management) everyone would benefit. However she should really be more upfront in general with the concerns of the majority and minority of fans without being bullied by the fans. It does no harm. I will be going to the meeting on Wednesday.
  • thenewbie said:

I note that Jimmy Stone's tweets on the broadcast have been taken down, as have their reproduction on this thread by @wwaddickson. Whatever his reason, it jut adds to an impression of rampant control-freakery around the Club today

Didn't think JS was affliated directly with the club any more - they can't take those tweets down, only he could.
    I don't suggest the club took them down, of course. But something made him take them down. Seems a bit drastic, he was just expressing an opinion, and went out of his way to be fair.
    Fair enough, just saying I can't see that the club had any power in the decision. There's been more directly critical tweets he's left up in recent past, if he's taken these down it's of his own volition surely.
  • "We invested in the pitch" yeah, by selling kermogant and Stephens and using that money
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2015
    Meire will not be so relaxed tomorrow night I imagine.......or Murray.
  • Fair play, she didn't shy away or change stories, 20 has become several now though!
  • bobcafc7 said:

"We invested in the pitch" yeah, by selling kermogant and Stephens and using that money

So the 2.3m on vetokele came from he's own pocket then.
    I think the Igor cash came from Liege player sales - I also think Liege player sales funded his purchase of the club - in other words, no real cash was spent - just my view...
  • bobcafc7 said:

"We invested in the pitch" yeah, by selling kermogant and Stephens and using that money

I think the Igor cash came from Liege player sales - I also think Liege player sales funded his purchase of the club - in other words, no real cash was spent - just my view...
    Is where the money came from that relevant? Or do you mean to say RD should bankrupt himself to please Charlton fans?
  • bobcafc7 said:

Is where the money came from that relevant? Or do you mean to say RD should bankrupt himself to please Charlton fans?
    Unfortunately, an owner is expected to shell out these days...I was just expressing my view that he hasn't really spent much yet (of his own cash)
  • bobcafc7 said:

Unfortunately, an owner is expected to shell out these days...I was just expressing my view that he hasn't really spent much yet (of his own cash)
    That was my point. The pitch is used by the club as a positive spin but the money was from player sales.

Vetekole was bought from standard money and Charlton won't get a penny when he signs for standard for an undisclosed fee!!
  • PL54 said:

Grinder?

Speak for yourself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a bad video, lad handled it well. Pity about the patronising gift at the end.
  • bobcafc7 said:

That was my point. The pitch is used by the club as a positive spin but the money was from player sales.

Vetekole was bought from standard money and Charlton won't get a penny when he signs for standard for an undisclosed fee!!
    If Liege get Champions League next season, Igor and JBG could be off to Belgium - then it will really kick off in SE7
  • bobcafc7 said:

Of course you have no evidence to back up such claims
  • I note that Jimmy Stone's tweets on the broadcast have been taken down, as have their reproduction on this thread by @wwaddickson. Whatever his reason, it jut adds to an impression of rampant control-freakery around the Club today

If Jimmy has taken down the tweets then my links will no longer work.
    Maybe he didn't want to get his mates / ex-colleagues in trouble. What did he say?
  • Not a bad video, lad handled it well. Pity about the patronising gift at the end.

How is getting a home shirt patronising?
  • If people think that fans like myself, who are in the 'not concerned' camp, are lapping this up then you are off your tits.

A young lad gets to go to the stadium and made a fuss of. That's all it is.

Err excuse me, that wasn't all it is. It was all filmed and put out on t'internet !
  • edited February 2015

bobcafc7 said:

Yes, very relevant if it impacts on our or our fellow network clubs.
    SL players sold over the last year or so by RD and if SL money was used for our/RD's benefit today then it can be Charlton's players sold and money being taken and used for someone elses/RD's benefit tomorrow.
    I said a while ago that I'm not going to be a hypocrite I wouldn't want the above scenario happening to Charlton so I'm not going to be happy to benefit from another clubs detriment.
  • I'm becoming very concerned at the section of our fans that seem to view everything as 'cynical ploys', 'lies', 'just a PR job', 'not interested in results', 'just want their cronies in place' etc. etc.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's just that the negative one is very loud at the moment and, I feel, almost shouting down those of us who have a little more positive view.

Do I feel everything is right in the camp? No. But this is CAFC and the times when everything is right have been few and far between.

I don't agree with the public meeting as a) it is way too early for that reaction which, in my view, was borne just out of a bad run of results, and, b) I struggle to see that the meeting population will be a microcosm of the CAFC fan base. It will be biased to those with the same negative viewpoint and be flawed by groupthink. I hope those present will be able to make an honest assessment as to whether the output represents the views of fans in general.

So why don't I go to the meeting? I've got better things to do tbh, I never asked for a meeting in the first place so why should I or others equally as passive 'defend' the positive line?

The main problem at the moment, I think, is one of communication and expectation setting. The interview with the articulate young lad and the download of the VIP meeting have got to be good things surely? It seems to me KM is reading the mood of some of the fans and trying to do something about it. More open communication channels to the point of overkill would seem to me a good way of helping everybody to feel a little calmer.

What else do you expect? Sacking Luzon ain't gonna happen. Promising never ever to buy a bad player again, cross my heart and hope to die. Perhaps we should turn back time and replace Vetokele, Watt, Gudmundsson, Ben Haim, Johnson and Henderson with Dickson, McCleod, McCormack, Doherty, Crainie and Weaver.

Ok, but not Weaver
  • Meire will not be so relaxed tomorrow night I imagine.......or Murray.

What are they up to tomorrow night then?