Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Trust Calls Public Meeting of Fans - Woolwich Grand Theatre – Wed 18th Feb 7.30pm

Comments

• edited February 2015
    Im all for a meeting to get an idea of how we are all feeling at the moment, but in my eyes only two things would force a person as stubborn as RD out of of the club in the short term.

1. You somehow convince the 13K home fans to boycott Charlton games from this point on. Literally as Wimbledon did in the early 2000's just before they became MK Dons. If you managed to successfully engineer a sustained boycott, this would make the club worthless to RD, and he would be forced to sell up. Unless someone stepped in to buy us quickly, the club would probably go bust, and we would have to go and start FC Athletic of Charlton and hope that we could get back to the football league within 20 years. Yeah, not a nice thought.

There is possibly a proportion of fans who would rather the club went bust then continue under RD, they might see it as simply euthanising a club thats already dead to them. But 13K of us would need to share that view, and I dont think they do. Things would need to get really really dire (Wimbledon dire!) for that to happen.

I dont even think the inevitable drop in season tickets sales next season will make RD panic. A drop of 3-4K in ST sales wouldnt do that. In RDs eyes, he could lower prices, and then weve only got to have a decent season in L1, (heaven forbid get promoted if RD got his act together), and sales would go up again. ST sales figures can be increased with success on the pitch.

2. Someone amongst our support happens to know a multi-millionaire (emphasis on the multi) who shares our feelings, would make a good owner in our eyes, and would be interested in buying Charlton. They would also need to be happy to wave whatever figure in front of RD that would be high enough for him to sell. If someone knows this person, introduce him to RD ASAP.

When you see all the things the Liege support have resorted to and RD hasnt even blinked, I cant see it happening any other way.
  • CAFCTrev said:

Im all for a meeting to get an idea of how we are all feeling at the moment, but in my eyes only two things would force a person as stubborn as RD out of of the club in the short term.

1. You somehow convince the 13K home fans to boycott Charlton games from this point on. Literally as Wimbledon did in the early 2000's just before they became MK Dons. If you managed to successfully engineer a sustained boycott, this would make the club worthless to RD, and he would be forced to sell up. Unless someone stepped in to buy us quickly, the club would probably go bust, and we would have to go and start FC Athletic of Charlton and hope that we could get back to the football league within 20 years. Yeah, not a nice thought.

There is possibly a proportion of fans who would rather the club went bust then continue under RD, they might see it as simply euthanising a club thats already dead to them. But 13K of us would need to share that view, and I dont think they do. Things would need to get really really dire (Wimbledon dire!) for that to happen.

I dont even think the inevitable drop in season tickets sales next season will make RD panic. A drop of 3-4K in ST sales wouldnt do that. In RDs eyes, he could lower prices, and then weve only got to have a decent season in L1, (heaven forbid get promoted if RD got his act together), and sales would go up again. ST sales figures can be increased with a success on the pitch.

2. Someone amongst our support happens to know a multi-millionaire (emphasis on the multi) who shares our feelings, would make a good owner in our eyes, and would be interested in buying Charlton. They would also need to be happy to wave whatever figure in front of RD that would be high enough for him to sell. If someone knows this person, introduce him to RD ASAP.

When you see all the things the Liege support have resorted to and RD hasnt even blinked, I cant see it happening any other way.

Fair enough, but the purpose of the meeting isn't to find a way to "force a person as stubborn as RD out of of the club" - that may be what you want, but the purpose is to get a greater idea if what all Charlton fans want.

The answer might be that a majority of people at the meeting want RD out al all costs and think x, y & z are the most effective methods at their disposal.

I personally don't think I just want RD out and replaced by literally anyone else, a wise sage once said one of the things that we need to know from RD was his exit plan and what his goals are, I still subscribe to that view and in the first instance I want to understand what RD is actually trying to achieve because it's very unclear from where I am standing.
  • se9addick said:

CAFCTrev said:

I dont even think the inevitable drop in season tickets sales next season will make RD panic. A drop of 3-4K in ST sales wouldnt do that. In RDs eyes, he could lower prices, and then weve only got to have a decent season in L1, (heaven forbid get promoted if RD got his act together), and sales would go up again. ST sales figures can be increased with a success on the pitch.

Fair enough, but the purpose of the meeting isn't to find a way to "force a person as stubborn as RD out of of the club" - that may be what you want, but the purpose is to get a greater idea if what all Charlton fans want.

The answer might be that a majority of people at the meeting want RD out al all costs and think x, y & z are the most effective methods at their disposal.

I personally don't think I just want RD out and replaced by literally anyone else, a wise sage once said one of the things that we need to know from RD was his exit plan and what his goals are, I still subscribe to that view and in the first instance I want to understand what RD is actually trying to achieve because it's very unclear from where I am standing.
    Thats fair enough, Im just trying to give the ppl who do want RD out ASAP an idea of what it would probably take to do it. Well my theory on how it could happen anyways....
  • CAFCTrev said:

In relation to point 1, we wouldn't go bust. RD is loaded, he's not going to run out of cash like the last lot did, regardless of any boycott. If he allows us to go into administration then he loses all of his money, rather than just some of it. And I don't believe there is a single supporter who wants us to go bust so we can start FC Athletic of Charlton, that really would be using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.
  • edited February 2015
    MrLargo said:

In relation to point 1, we wouldn't go bust. RD is loaded, he's not going to run out of cash like the last lot did, regardless of any boycott. If he allows us to go into administration then he loses all of his money, rather than just some of it. And I don't believe there is a single supporter who wants us to go bust so we can start FC Athletic of Charlton, that really would be using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Youre probably right about the money aspect, but I think a mass sustained boycott would be dramatic enough to force him out in the short term.

But yeah, not likely and I wouldnt want this to happen.

Option 2 would be the preferred way of doing it of course, but again not very likely anytime soon.
  • Stig said:

As a recap to the main things that have happened in the past 13 months, I've posted a Duchatelet timeline here: https://staddickstics.wordpress.com/2015/02/09/unlucky-for-some/

I'm working on some summaries of players coming and goings in that time and will post that soon.

@Stig Any chance your player summary could include SL - ie network and non-network movements ?
  • Roland has killed the atmosphere at Charlton, and he's not going to change for anybody. The only answer is a new owner.
  • Agree above points, but they focus on RD out. What about RD change your ways and run the football club properly. Run it as a football club that supporters can see a genuine attempt to get success.
    NOT players bought in and are not good enough, but they suit his network. A manager who is appointed on merit and can manage the team. Not someone who suits RDs financial and employment situation.
    Maybe RD does not care! But we must assume he is not stupid- maybe misguided. Thus let him know CAFC is its supporters. Action needed by US the supporters. Boycott games, walk out through a game, do not buy season tickets etc. the success is publicity. We must be coordinated.
    Come on let's get Charlton back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Agree above points, but they focus on RD out. What about RD change your ways and run the football club properly. Run it as a football club that supporters can see a genuine attempt to get success.
    NOT players bought in and are not good enough, but they suit his network. A manager who is appointed on merit and can manage the team. Not someone who suits RDs financial and employment situation.
    Maybe RD does not care! But we must assume he is not stupid- maybe misguided. Thus let him know CAFC is its supporters. Action needed by US the supporters. Boycott games, walk out through a game, do not buy season tickets etc. the success is publicity. We must be coordinated.
    Come on let's get Charlton back.

I agree that this is the approach we should take in the first instance (of course reserving the right to take additional steps if he doesn't play ball or goes back on his word).

Making this owner "better" is preferable to putting him in a position where he just wants to sell the club to anyone, in my opinion.
  • edited February 2015
    Double post
  • I think regardless of which league we are in, this summer is going to be very interesting for a number of reasons

• J BLOCK said:

I think regardless of which league we are in, this summer is going to be very interesting for a number of reasons

We've said that for the last few summers, it's exhausting - I think I just want a nice, no drama, boring summer !
  • edited February 2015
    CAFCTrev said:

I dont even think the inevitable drop in season tickets sales next season will make RD panic. A drop of 3-4K in ST sales wouldnt do that. In RDs eyes, he could lower prices, and then weve only got to have a decent season in L1, (heaven forbid get promoted if RD got his act together), and sales would go up again. ST sales figures can be increased with success on the pitch.

I don't think there's any scope to price people in.

In practice, the "new improved RD" and "RD out" are very probably two ways of asking for the same thing, since he doesn't appear to be someone who is likely to change his ways. The only difference is tactical.
  • RD only listens to those who tell him what he wants to hear. When you've got his sort of money you can afford to surround yourself with yes-men. As far as we're concerned the Network isn't working because of the way it affects Charlton, but his priorities are different, and as far as we know the network is working perfectly well for him. And in L1 it will be easier for him to field a team of Academy products and Network rejects, so he's not going to listen to anyone trying to tell him the Network isn't working.
  • The last comment is a very realistic one. RD may well think the Network is working well and L1 is where he wants to be.
    I don't like admitting that may be true, so where does that leave us? I contradict myself- we want and need RD out!
    It's a very sorry state. The days of Curbs, Premier League top players is long gone and does not seem like it will ever come back.
  • The last comment is a very realistic one. RD may well think the Network is working well and L1 is where he wants to be. I don't like admitting that may be true, so where does that leave us? I contradict myself- we want and need RD out!
    It's a very sorry state. The days of Curbs, Premier League top players is long gone and does not seem like it will ever come back.

Quite possibly, but that's half the problem - what are his goals ? What does success look like ? When does he think he'll achieve it ? How does he see the "network" ending if ever ?

RD contributes to the scepticism of supporters because we have absolutely no idea as to the answers to those questions, so that vacuum is filled with random speculation. He would help his cause immeasurably if he just communicated with the fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• That would be great, not sure about the 10.30 start though......
    We have printed 5,000 of these so will be putting out an appeal for help to distribute them.
    Thanks, will be giving out details on the trust site and on here in due course.

I'll come along for about 1.30 to distribute some
  • edited February 2015
    It might be worth knocking up a quick survey monkey questionnaire together for all those attending to complete as well as those who would like to attend but can’t. The questions could be multiple choice so e-.g – How happy are you with X, Y ,Z. Do you favour fans taking action a,b,c etc… It could even give some options on what peop[le want out of the meeting and what they wan’t discussed. The point is, the responses could set the parameters for what the meeting address and it doesn’t just degenerate into the loudest shouters getting frustrations off their chest – which is all well and good, but we could find the meeting ends with no real direction or actions.. So it could start by saying that the survey that all of those present and some others have completed is saying X and that we want Y etc… Just a suggestion.
  • That would be great, not sure about the 10.30 start though......
    We have printed 5,000 of these so will be putting out an appeal for help to distribute them.
    Thanks, will be giving out details on the trust site and on here in due course.

I'll come along for about 1.30 to distribute some
    Thank you......

please register your interest, and anyone else on here......by emailing........secretary@castrust.org

brief details on:
    http://www.castrust.org/2015/02/volunteers-needed-publicise-public-meeting/
  • 5000 paper aeroplanes, a la Leicester at home.
  • It might be worth knocking up a quick survey monkey questionnaire together for all those attending to complete as well as those who would like to attend but can’t. The questions could be multiple choice so e-.g – How happy are you with X, Y ,Z. Do you favour fans taking action a,b,c etc… It could even give some options on what peop[le want out of the meeting and what they wan’t discussed. The point is, the responses could set the parameters for what the meeting address and it doesn’t just degenerate into the loudest shouters getting frustrations off their chest – which is all well and good, but we could find the meeting ends with no real direction or actions.. So it could start by saying that the survey that all of those present and some others have completed is saying X and that we want Y etc… Just a suggestion.

Good thought Muttley. I've mentioned it to Weegie. She is the survey guru.

• This is now the longest Charlton related thread without a comment from the forums most prolific poster.
  • edited February 2015

It might be worth knocking up a quick survey monkey questionnaire together for all those attending to complete as well as those who would like to attend but can’t. The questions could be multiple choice so e-.g – How happy are you with X, Y ,Z. Do you favour fans taking action a,b,c etc… It could even give some options on what peop[le want out of the meeting and what they wan’t discussed. The point is, the responses could set the parameters for what the meeting address and it doesn’t just degenerate into the loudest shouters getting frustrations off their chest – which is all well and good, but we could find the meeting ends with no real direction or actions.. So it could start by saying that the survey that all of those present and some others have completed is saying X and that we want Y etc… Just a suggestion.

Good thought Muttley. I've mentioned it to Weegie. She is the survey guru.

On the case, guys, though it will take me a day or two to consider, as it does require a bit of thought re keeping it as neutral as possible re options.
  • I'll be there but as its HT I'll have to bring the eldest

He's 27 now EA. I think you should at least try and get him used to being at home on his own. (:
  • Riviera said:

This is now the longest Charlton related thread without a comment from the forums most prolific poster.

Paulie's at the hairdressers.
  • 5000 paper aeroplanes, a la Leicester at home.

Creative different funny ideas will help to defeat Duchatelet. Strong actions are good as well but lets face it Charlton supporters are not going to riot like Liege.

I posted the below on the season ticket strike site but fits in with the above discussion.

Charlton supporters need to do some funny big things / actions that will get the football world's attention. Flying a balloon across the Valley and releasing lots of balloons / streamers onto the pitch with a stuff the network message. Thousands of stuff the network air planes etc. Something that will look good on the net and media sites. If Charlton supporters can consistently embarrass and highlight to the football world and inept and rubbish his footballing decisions are, then he will be pushed into selling. Duchatelet needs to attract players to his network and if it is clear how badly his messing clubs then he won't like it. It would need to be as sustained effort though. Funny and entertaining stuff as well.