Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Watford v Charlton - Post Embarrassment Views

Comments

• Looks for all the world that a number of players have relegation-release clauses in their contracts and that's the only way to leave the sinking ship. That would allow RD to bring in more (cheap) youngster to add to anyone who isn't good enough for his other clubs
  • Following on from the match thread 8th December 1984 was the last time we lost by five goals below the top flight of English football. Away to Oxford.

That makes the last goal significant, and it makes this the worst result for a generation. I think we can safely say that it was a bad day at the office.

I wasn't at the game but is sounds like the players didn't play to anything like their potential. I still think we have better players than our recent run of form suggests, but the new manager (or his replacement) is going to have to lift both their confidence and their desire if we are going to avoid falling into a relegation battle.

Every year one team falls into trouble that seemed to be ok - unless we find another side that could, well, be us.

0-5 boxing day at Wet Spam
    1-6 April 03 home to Leeds
  • Following on from the match thread 8th December 1984 was the last time we lost by five goals below the top flight of English football. Away to Oxford.

That makes the last goal significant, and it makes this the worst result for a generation. I think we can safely say that it was a bad day at the office.

I wasn't at the game but is sounds like the players didn't play to anything like their potential. I still think we have better players than our recent run of form suggests, but the new manager (or his replacement) is going to have to lift both their confidence and their desire if we are going to avoid falling into a relegation battle.

Every year one team falls into trouble that seemed to be ok - unless we find another side that could, well, be us.

0-5 boxing day at Wet Spam
    1-6 April 03 home to Leeds
    They were in the top flight.
  • I still think things will turn around and we'll be okay in the end. If we go down I will wear a burka.
  • edited January 2015

I still think things will turn around and we'll be okay in the end. If we go down I will wear a burka.

How long for? Until we're promoted again?
  • I still think things will turn around and we'll be okay in the end. If we go down I will wear a burka.

Can I just check - are you a female Muslim?
  • Went today and very disappointed with the result and especially by the ineptitude (yet again) of Ben haim and Bikey. Just watched the goals on SSN and I don't know how they qualify as CHs!! They are clueless or couldn't careless. How people can blame Etheridge when he has those two clowns infront of him I don't know! How fans can cheer Bikey when he makes so many mistakes... Morrison never stood a chance if the rumours about these two bossing things is true.
    Clearly there is a total lack of team spirit and unity which was obvious last week more than ever. I really hope JJ (or Solly) can try to restore it because I think the younger players really suffer even more when he is not playing.
    I think, if we are lucky enough to get any players in, who will be able to tell whether they will fit in the team or not?

I'm so glad you've said this. I've said for weeks that TBH and Bikey are just not good enough and I've been crucified on this forum. It's just a relief I'm not the only one who thinks it. Bikey in particular for me is just dreadful.
  • braydex said:

Went today and very disappointed with the result and especially by the ineptitude (yet again) of Ben haim and Bikey. Just watched the goals on SSN and I don't know how they qualify as CHs!! They are clueless or couldn't careless. How people can blame Etheridge when he has those two clowns infront of him I don't know! How fans can cheer Bikey when he makes so many mistakes... Morrison never stood a chance if the rumours about these two bossing things is true.
    Clearly there is a total lack of team spirit and unity which was obvious last week more than ever. I really hope JJ (or Solly) can try to restore it because I think the younger players really suffer even more when he is not playing.
    I think, if we are lucky enough to get any players in, who will be able to tell whether they will fit in the team or not?

I'm so glad you've said this. I've said for weeks that TBH and Bikey are just not good enough and I've been crucified on this forum. It's just a relief I'm not the only one who thinks it. Bikey in particular for me is just dreadful.
    Through carelessness, weakness and irresponsibility I once ended up going out to field in a cricket match quite drunk. As a result I can really relate to the way Bikey plays football.
  • edited January 2015

I still think things will turn around and we'll be okay in the end. If we go down I will wear a burka.

How would we know it was really you?
  • Sponsored links:

• Without reading 8 pages of posts, I was there today and it was one of the most one-sided games of football i've ever seen and frankly we did well to only lose 5-0. But for a deflection that hit Ben Haim, a few off the line clearances at 0-0 and a few good saves from Etheridge we could easily have been spanked by 7 or 8 at least.

At 2-0 the anger simply turned to embarassment.
  • edited January 2015
    The only pride visible today was from us (one or two exceptions).
    Would still choose to be a charlton fan that one of them though. I work with a few and we met for a beer before. Good guys who seem to share charltonesque values re their own club. But they are so quiet, and Watford always seems like that - 4-0 and you still dont sing! Though one of them does twirl a scarf very daintily...
  • 4th manager in 1 year says it all really.
  • All has been said. Today was always going to go one of two ways - a gutsy give it all performance or capitulation.

We got the latter but I'm going to judge the new bloke going forward, not on this.

I am worried though as some players seem so deep in a pit of low confidence/ apathy that new quality signings are a must.

When you see a match where even Solly appears clueless then you know something deeper is wrong.
  • I'm not surprised today turned out to be the horrible thrashing it did.

The players finally have had enough of Bob, manage to persuade the club to bin him and then maybe get a fresh start. What happens? Another Belgian cast off throbber turns up at the training ground and they're right back where they started.

Luzon isn't going to fix anything, he's part of the problem.
  • At the risk of ridicule, what's a throbber?
  • IdleHans said:

At the risk of ridicule, what's a throbber?

If you change channel to Movies for Men you'll soon find out

• .................... (Long sigh. A very long sigh)!
  • so we have gone from being the last team to lose in the championship to a 5-0 defeat
    and playing with zero confidence.

a big next 7 days in cafc history.

Since last Saturday, it seems like a nightmare.

• Sponsored links:

• dizzee said:

We were such a respected club again for the first time in a while under Powell.

It felt like we were getting some self esteem back in football terms. Unfortunately things change fast in this game!
  • we WILL survive this. It's just bloody awful at the moment.

What if you've worn a Burka all your life? Wouldn't be much of a statement then would it
  • Was yesterday a sign that the players are fed up?
  • WSS said:

Essex_Al said:

Embarrassing performance from the players matched by the yoof singing Roland out!

Who the fuck do they imagine is going to step up and buy our club?

Saved us from administration, steadying the ship, trying to manage a £6/7 million loss per year, get real!

I'm sure he will back Luzon in the coming weeks and that will be coming from his own pocket!

Well, people who know tell me that there would be, if he'd sell.
    If that's the case why didn't they buy the club when he bought it?

It was clearly for sale then.
    Maybe because the previous incumbents would not allow said interested parties buy...
    What I thought I'd read as well.

Nothing to say on that, but people continually repeat on here that no one else wouid buy the club if RD pulled out, so I asked someone who would know better than any of us and that's what I was told. No more, no less.
    I don't expect an answer to this but is it possible that any potential purchaser will only 'pick the club up' for £1 after administration.
  • edited January 2015

Was yesterday a sign that the players are fed up?

They are & I don't think Luzon's the man to change it.. with all the rotation we are to expect from him it could just be a merry go round of players, which in this league upsets players more than anything. They'd rather sit on the bench and wait for their chance and grab it by the balls and keep hold of it , than get their space lose it the next week regardless. Really worried if he wants to rotate, we are weak enough at our strongest.. it'll be a mockery if we rotate, decent Championship teams build a foundation on a solid 9 or so players week in week out if fit.
  • In the first half, a brilliant ball into the box for Gudmundsson to hit with his right. what does he do? Let's it run off while trying to turn it around on his left.

How does a pro not be able to hit a ball with his weaker foot?
  • I didn't go and expected a defeat but nothing like this. I'm just hoping, praying, that this is the wake up and smell the coffee moment that the whole of the management team from top to bottom need in order to realise that we cannot be part of a 'project' and that we need proper people in place who know our game, the English game, to make progress. Not a great time to be a Charlton fan ....
  • 4th manager in 1 year says it all really.

That hasn't helped at all. But Watford have had four managers this season and have had training ground fights that have seen Lewis McGugan, Keith Andrews and Lloyd Dyer banished from 1st Team training. Yesterday they smashed us because they were better and wanted it more. They also have people like Deeney on £20k a week!!