Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Watford v Charlton - Post Embarrassment Views

Comments

• Nicholas said:

A team lacking in ideas. A team lacking in confidence. A team that desperately needs a fresh face in the starting line up. So why the hell did the helmets in charge leave Watt on the bench again for the second game running.

Agreed all round. Couldn't believe the team news on Twitter with Watt on the bench - had good game-time in U-21 match during the week, played well, looked keen and aggressive- and set up a goal for KAG! Also an OK target man for long punts, moreso than Igor!

• Southbank said:

Everything we know about RD suggests he will hold on to prove that his unique strategy works. He is not a football man and his wealth does not depend on it.Basically he is trying to prove that the network is a genius idea.
    As we slowly sink he will blame the coaches,the management,the players and the fans until we have sunk out of sight.
    There is a profound saying in business that 'culture eats strategy for breakfast'. RD simply does not get football culture.

He has four clubs, many business interests and a massive ego when it comes to his views on his own football knowledge and ability re running clubs. Why do we think he even cares about Charlton's long term. The only way he could make a decent return on his investment (and that is the aim of any businessman) is for us to go back to the Premier League. He may well have already realised that's not going to happen - if so, then it's a question of how much damage can be done before he sells up. I am sure their are tax benefits to us losing cash ...

• I could write all day about the problems at the club but, after some anger about the lies (and they were definitely porkies), I remain philosophical-whether we like it or not, we're stuck with Roland and likely stuck with Guy Luzon for a while. We can arrange protests, sing our Roland out songs and moan about the whole thing but a better way to channel that energy is to get behind the team because it's probably more likely to get a result-after all, RD has been subject to a lot worse at Liege and is still there. Easier said than done I know but I hope others do take on this mantra because the Valley is going to become a pretty empty place over the next few weeks if things don't cheer up. I can't keep apologising to my poor son for what I'm putting him through......

Fixed it for you
  • braydex said:

Went today and very disappointed with the result and especially by the ineptitude (yet again) of Ben haim and Bikey. Just watched the goals on SSN and I don't know how they qualify as CHs!! They are clueless or couldn't careless. How people can blame Etheridge when he has those two clowns infront of him I don't know! How fans can cheer Bikey when he makes so many mistakes... Morrison never stood a chance if the rumours about these two bossing things is true.
    Clearly there is a total lack of team spirit and unity which was obvious last week more than ever. I really hope JJ (or Solly) can try to restore it because I think the younger players really suffer even more when he is not playing.
    I think, if we are lucky enough to get any players in, who will be able to tell whether they will fit in the team or not?

I'm so glad you've said this. I've said for weeks that TBH and Bikey are just not good enough and I've been crucified on this forum. It's just a relief I'm not the only one who thinks it. Bikey in particular for me is just dreadful.
    Braydex, the group of 6 of us that go all feel the same. They are not good enough or don't want to be here. What worries me more is if they are being the negative influence in the dressing room as hinted at by people. Of course, they have no competition for their places - although I would try Gomez as CH but he is inexperienced there at this level. It so saddens and infuriates me that Morrison was pushed out.
    Gomez is nowhere near ready to play CH, not strong enough or experienced enough at the moment. At 17 he has plenty of time
  • Without reading 8 pages of posts, I was there today and it was one of the most one-sided games of football i've ever seen and frankly we did well to only lose 5-0. But for a deflection that hit Ben Haim, a few off the line clearances at 0-0 and a few good saves from Etheridge we could easily have been spanked by 7 or 8 at least.

At 2-0 the anger simply turned to embarassment.

is that the same as 'posting without reading?
  • Dazzler21 said:

Was yesterday a sign that the players are fed up?

They are & I don't think Luzon's the man to change it.. with all the rotation we are to expect from him it could just be a merry go round of players, which in this league upsets players more than anything. They'd rather sit on the bench and wait for their chance and grab it by the balls and keep hold of it , than get their space lose it the next week regardless. Really worried if he wants to rotate, we are weak enough at our strongest.. it'll be a mockery if we rotate, decent Championship teams build a foundation on a solid 9 or so players week in week out if fit.
    Do you know Luzons man management style or tactics?

Problem is going to be in getting his message across, did anybody understand a word he said at the press conference ?
  • edited January 2015
    Bob, Gomez not strong enough? Have you stood close to him? Heavyweight boxers would die for a physique like that. He may be inexperienced but I'd like to see him do his learning (as CB) now, given that despite yesterday, there are still three worse sides in the division. This is on the basis that reports on Bikey/TBH have substance and I'd ship them out. On the same basis I'd also throw Mitov into the mix until Hendo is fit.
  • purdis said:

It was only the end of November when we were robbed of a deserved home win against promotion favourites Ipswich Town.

My local Ipswich Town mates said they couldn't believe the difference in the Charlton performance at Portman Road only a month after our impressive showing at The Valley.
    Charlton didn't play badly at Portman Road - they actually played the better football but were lacking in the final third and outmuscled by a typically physical Championship side.

So, it is rubbish saying our players aren't good enough.

This problem is a mind problem and we've got into a rut and a mindset that we are now beatable. Getting out of it is another issue. Luzon will have to stop the rot - that simple.

More proof that this is just a game of opinion!! (In mine) Charlton were awful at Portman Road! However, very good performance at The Valley against them.

As wonderful as hindsight is, I have been proclaiming all along to anyone who will listen that the 'heady' start to the season was false. I always felt that we got lucky on numerous occasions (particularly Norwich) and it was just a matter of time before we 'hit' our true level this season. I guess it's now all about how bad this 'blip' will be? This season, mid-table would be an over achievement and outsiders for a relegation scrap was always realistic.
  • Sponsored links:

• I was there, it was shite. It was laughable by the end it really was. Didn't come on last night as I was that steaming as well as angry I don't think I would have made any sense at all. Joke club at the moment. Have to add that the support was fantastic during the game. A lot of angry fans at the end which was understandable. Massively disappointing game, surely it can't get any worse at Wolves on Saturday?
  • I was there, it was shite. It was laughable by the end it really was. Didn't come on last night as I was that steaming as well as angry I don't think I would have made any sense at all. Joke club at the moment. Have to add that the support was fantastic during the game. A lot of angry fans at the end which was understandable. Massively disappointing game, surely it can't get any worse at Wolves on Saturday?

I wouldnt bet against it.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Was yesterday a sign that the players are fed up?

They are & I don't think Luzon's the man to change it.. with all the rotation we are to expect from him it could just be a merry go round of players, which in this league upsets players more than anything. They'd rather sit on the bench and wait for their chance and grab it by the balls and keep hold of it , than get their space lose it the next week regardless. Really worried if he wants to rotate, we are weak enough at our strongest.. it'll be a mockery if we rotate, decent Championship teams build a foundation on a solid 9 or so players week in week out if fit.
    Do you know Luzons man management style or tactics?

Problem is going to be in getting his message across, did anybody understand a word he said at the press conference ?
    Maybe why Villa are struggling in the prem. I can't understand very much what Paul Lambert says.
  • Loved the open expansive formation with two wingers, albeit Gudmunnssen in the hole (crater of megalithic proportions).
    We should be commended for making the affair hugely entertaining. For £13 there can be few complaints.
    Even Rhys Wiggins should be pleased with his shift in view of the effort expended chasing at times 3 shadows in the first half.
    5-0 not a fair reflection, with 8-1 more realistic.
    Onwards and downwards. Hopefully Luzon knows the conundrum he must address before it's too late.

• edited January 2015
    There were 20 c.vs not 20 interviews as I understand. Not sure if she has said anyone was interviewed other than Guy. Please post link if I'm wrong.

The crucial issues are:-
    1. Dressing room unrest needs resolving or our 2 CBs need moving out.
    2. Given the above we also have a squad of insufficient quality & quantity.
    3. At least two of the current 1st XI have issues with Luzon possibly Bulot also.
    4. GL has poor English and reportedly poor man-management skills like Bob with a touch of arrogance
  • braydex said:

Went today and very disappointed with the result and especially by the ineptitude (yet again) of Ben haim and Bikey. Just watched the goals on SSN and I don't know how they qualify as CHs!! They are clueless or couldn't careless. How people can blame Etheridge when he has those two clowns infront of him I don't know! How fans can cheer Bikey when he makes so many mistakes... Morrison never stood a chance if the rumours about these two bossing things is true.
    Clearly there is a total lack of team spirit and unity which was obvious last week more than ever. I really hope JJ (or Solly) can try to restore it because I think the younger players really suffer even more when he is not playing.
    I think, if we are lucky enough to get any players in, who will be able to tell whether they will fit in the team or not?

I'm so glad you've said this. I've said for weeks that TBH and Bikey are just not good enough and I've been crucified on this forum. It's just a relief I'm not the only one who thinks it. Bikey in particular for me is just dreadful.
    Braydex, the group of 6 of us that go all feel the same. They are not good enough or don't want to be here. What worries me more is if they are being the negative influence in the dressing room as hinted at by people. Of course, they have no competition for their places - although I would try Gomez as CH but he is inexperienced there at this level. It so saddens and infuriates me that Morrison was pushed out.
    Gomez is nowhere near ready to play CH, not strong enough or experienced enough at the moment. At 17 he has plenty of time
    Yes I know but there is a lack of alternatives.
  • Kiely#1 said:

First time in a while I have come away thinking that all of "our" players have been poor. Cousins, Solly and Wilson (not everyones favourite but usually you know what you will get).

That today looked like a bunch of people who want to work elsewhere. My firm are going through changes and there are a lot of people who want redundancy for the money and so they don't have to work with each other anymore. That is exactly what it has looked like on the pitch the last few weeks. Dysfunctional.

If we stay up it will be because RD spends to protect his investment or because there are three appallingly bad teams

Or because the current players do what they are paid to do. They have decided, possibly for a number of potentially valid reasons,to throw a strop.
  • Highlight for me was 85 mins in, 4-0 down. The ground went quiet and someone shouted

"Come on Charlton. We can still win this"
  • Reason we're in the mire is that we can't win at home. I'd be surprised if >1% of those in the Vicarage Road Stand expected us to even draw yesterday.
    WD clearly going to punish for our parking the bus last September.
    Spurning the Seasiders, scum, bluebirds & even the tractor boys will haunt the rest of this campaign.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think RD is probably still thinking that relegation is unlikely, and that therefore his goal for this season - to stay in the championship - will have been achieved. I don't think he necessarily gives a toss about the performances. Every team suffers big defeats like this every now and then, and though it hurts us I doubt RD sees it as a further crisis, having "dealt" with Peeters.

Thats the big problem. Roland still feels that his method, squad strength and strategy is still good. Roland feels that Peeters underperformed and says nothing about the wafer thin squad, letting Morrisson go, the lack of a 9 striker who can hold the ball up, a creative attacker midfielder, decent left midfielder and using a League 1 reserve keeper as the main keeper. Also that in any way that the network way of doing things needs changing in any way. It would help if Roland accepted that he may not know everything and could be wrong.

Putting Luzon in as manager makes sense in accounting terms for his network (similar to bringing Tucudean as a main second striker) but in footballing terms it appears to be extremely ill judged.

In the week, Katrien Meire said that Charlton supporters have to accept the way Roland runs the club. Why if the way it is being run on many levels appear to be a shambles ?
  • harveys gardener
    Bob, Gomez not strong enough? Have you stood close to him? Heavyweight boxers would die for a physique like that. He may be inexperience but I'd like to see him do his learning (as CB) now, given that despite yesterday, there are still three worse sides in the division. This is on the basis that reports on Bikey/TBH have substance and I'd ship them out. On the same basis I'd also throw Mitov into the mix until Hendo is fit.

Wellwickman
    Gomez paid the price for being outmuscled for the Cardiff opener. Caught flat-footed in failing to anticipate flick-on.
    Likewise allowed Rohan Ince enjoy a free header beyond the far post. Etheridge primarily at fault but Gomez understandably lacks nous at this level.

• harveys gardener
    Bob, Gomez not strong enough? Have you stood close to him? Heavyweight boxers would die for a physique like that. He may be inexperience but I'd like to see him do his learning (as CB) now, given that despite yesterday, there are still three worse sides in the division. This is on the basis that reports on Bikey/TBH have substance and I'd ship them out. On the same basis I'd also throw Mitov into the mix until Hendo is fit.

Wellwickman
    Gomez paid the price for being outmuscled for the Cardiff opener. Caught flat-footed in failing to anticipate flick-on.
    Likewise allowed Rohan Ince enjoy a free header beyond the far post. Etheridge primarily at fault but Gomez understandably lacks nous at this level.

TBH was on Ince not Gomez. Given the amount of goals we have shipped, individually you can make a case to drop the entire squad. Don't recall the Cardiff goal.
  • There were 20 c.vs not 20 interviews as I understand. Not sure if she has said anyone was interviewed other than Guy. Please post link if I'm wrong.

3. At least two of the current 1st XI have issues with Luzon possibly Bulot also.
    4. GL has poor English and reportedly poor man-management skills like Bob with a touch of arrogance

In the press interview shown on Sky she was asked "Was he the only one you interviewed for the job"? She replied "No".
    Clip is on the Katrien Meire thread.
  • DRAddick said:

There were 20 c.vs not 20 interviews as I understand. Not sure if she has said anyone was interviewed other than Guy. Please post link if I'm wrong.

In the press interview shown on Sky she was asked "Was he the only one you interviewed for the job"? She replied "No".
    OK. Can you help my laziness and confirm did she say on SSN that no Brits were considered? I'd be surprised if there were even a handful. Fraeye perhaps?
  • All I will say is that while they may be partly responsible for dressing room unrest, TBH and Bikey have been, almost inarguably, our two best players this season, and the 'never good enough' backlash is preposterous. Accusations of Bikey's inconsistency seem odd when placed alongside his first 12 or Sp games of the season - I'd like to see his average mark for all those games. Something has gone wrong of late, but it does not account for both players' brilliant prior form.
  • edited January 2015

DRAddick said:

OK. Can you help my laziness and confirm did she say on SSN that no Brits were considered? I'd be surprised if there were even a handful. Fraeye perhaps?

Not quite. The journalist made the rookie mistake of asking the question "Can you tell us whether any British managers were considered" to which she just replied "No' which obviously can mean no she can't tell us or no, no Brits were considered.
  • Well I had a good day out, left after the first, back to the pub which slowly filled with more and more charlton after every goal went in. Good laugh and cheap travel can't go wrong
  • Well I had a good day out, left after the first, back to the pub which slowly filled with more and more charlton after every goal went in. Good laugh and cheap travel can't go wrong

Your all Charlton to you die thou or in your case until the 1st goal go's in.

not anti drinking, enjoyed my couple of pints in the Moon under the water.

BEFORE THE MATCH.

Still trying to work out if yours is a parody account ?