Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Watford v Charlton - Post Embarrassment Views

Comments

• Writing without reading this thread been reading and trying to catch up with all the Saturday ff at our joke of a club

I mean the only time sure to be received for us in football atm is how shit the scum are but that is no guarantee we'll finish above them
    And fecking pardew performing miracles and palace doing what I'd love us to be doing really hurts (at least it's not millwall )
    We are properly Charlton Pathetic atm and that showing against watford scares me because if the players aren't gonna put it in to try and impress the new fella , I'm scared they haven't got it in em to stop this rot

85% 13th-21st...... 15% Relegation

Watch the games on the football league show
    At least millwall had some passion and the fans are still behind the club
    Best support on saturday for years apparently
    Cannot believe what is going on at our club to sink to this new low
    In all the 40 years supporting Charlton I've never known any thing like it and boy we've had some lows over the years but we've always had passion and togetherness about us
    In rd short time he's managed to do what no one else has managed!
    Lose our soul and take away our passion
  • edited January 2015

Whatever people say about the previous owners, until Kevin Cash
    pulled the money out we in my opinion had a far better team.
    No team spirit with this lot! One of the final straws was giving Morro away.
    I thought Morro and Dorien much better Bikey and Ben Haim.
    Bikey OK for first 12 games but now labouring and Ben Haim
    only a mercenary (here for a season at most). Henderson a good keeper
    but for ff's sake look at his injury record at previous clubs.
    Under Chris 2 decent keepers (Hamer and Button, prev Hamer and Sullivan).
    Once Henderson out no one capable of perfoming in goal in this league.
    We have lost Stephens, Kermo, Poyet, Hamer, Dorien and Morro and
    replaced them with sub standard European players in my opinion.
    Igor and JBG the only ones worth their place in the team. We have a cheapskate owner,
    if only someone else with money had taken us over. When I read how much he has
    spent on the ground, even Katrien has said the money we got for Kermo paid for that.
    Sadly we have a wind up merchant now running this club. No optimism for the future until
    we get the old Charlton back which sadly is not going to happen!

Mordin is that you?

If you haven't played Mass Effect, you won't get this.
  • If RD thought sacking the manager was going to improve things, it's back to the drawing board for him.
  • Dazzler thanks for the pic but:-

If you haven't played Mass Effect, you won't get this.

Please explain pref' in English not Belgian!
  • Were dropping like a bag of cement
    The trap door is waiting

ah, half our players have trouble trapping one of them

• Morning all

We got the beating that was coming tbh, absolutely shambolic.

Reinforcements urgently required i mean we have wilson and harriott on the wings ffs, two of thw worst in recent memory to wear the shirt.

I hate harriott
  • edited January 2015
    I told my Watford supporting mate that we'd be beaten 5-0 as we were walking to the ground - my comment was meant to be tongue in cheek, I wish I'd never said it now.
  • Big_Bob said:

Morning all

We got the beating that was coming tbh, absolutely shambolic.

Reinforcements urgently required i mean we have wilson and harriott on the wings ffs, two of thw worst in recent memory to wear the shirt.

I hate harriott

Wilson was one of our best players last season. Didn't Harriott get 5 goals in the last 2 games of last season?
  • I told my Watford supporting mate that we'd be beaten 5-0 as we were walking to the ground - my comment was meant to be tongue in cheek, I wish I'd never said it now.

you should have put a couple of quid on at 50-1 like the bloke who came into the bookies next to me at the end of the game...
  • Just chatted to a watford fan at work who was there at the match - this is more or less what he said and wrote in an email - I've just cobbled it together - I wasn't at the game so this is his opinion and then a thought I had when he told me -

"You were playing a high defensive line with two centre halves who are about as mobile as wardrobes, against forwards who are so fast they could catch pigeons. Your big centre half couldn't move and the guy beside him didn't look like he cared. If it wasn't for your goalie it would have been seven or eight. Haven't seen any team as hapless all season."

My thought on that is that if he's talking about Ben Haim not looking like he cared I'd be worried. If any of us were playing for a foreign team (and they'd have to be pretty bad if I was) you'd think we'd lift our game if a manager from our own country had just joined us - even if he hadn't got his work permit yet.

Not hopeful, but if we beat Rotherham we should be okay coz if we can beat them then we get that distance back between us and the bottom half dozen.
  • Sponsored links:

• @floydroadfaithfull‌ - still prefer your bag of wet cement image to his wardrobe one! We could put in the cement in the wardrobes and when we fall on Millwall we'll crush them!
  • Leuth said:

All I will say is that while they may be partly responsible for dressing room unrest, TBH and Bikey have been, almost inarguably, our two best players this season, and the 'never good enough' backlash is preposterous. Accusations of Bikey's inconsistency seem odd when placed alongside his first 12 or Sp games of the season - I'd like to see his average mark for all those games. Something has gone wrong of late, but it does not account for both players' brilliant prior form.

Fair comment, and I respect your opinion. Personally....I think he is considerably overweight. I think he is slow, and is far too often caught out of position. He never looks like he can be bothered to run back to defend, when he's been done, or when he needs to, he just plods. He plods around all the time. I can't actually remember the last time he sprinted anywhere?

For me, a really good CB needs to be tall. Muscular, but lean and quick. A bit gobby and a bit hard. TBH and Bikey have none of those attributes. TBH will have the odd moment. He will 'try'. Bikey though, he's just picking up his pay cheque each week. He's not bothered about results. He's not bothered about Charlton. He's place is safe, he's 30 years old and has a nice little 2 year contract. Job done.
  • makes you wonder why they let Morro go. if you think there bad wait until you see Oguchi play a whole game....
  • I told my Watford supporting mate that we'd be beaten 5-0 as we were walking to the ground - my comment was meant to be tongue in cheek, I wish I'd never said it now.

I had been telling my Watford supporting mate, how bad things had got and he said what will you do if it's 6-0 and I told him it definitely wouldn't be. I was right haha
  • What was going on down the front towards the corner flag just after the 4th went in ?

Tozser came over to take the corner. Our 'we're going to stand at the front' mob gave him the clever chant of "tosser, tosser etc"

When his corner was nodded home, he cupped his ears to our fans, who took offense.
  • Excellent post Fanny. I really wanted to give RD the benefit of the doubt a year ago, but I've had enough now. I fear RD's experiment can only end in complete disaster. The only question is just for him or for us too?

Hants. I must admit I'm starting to lean that way myself. This Luzon appointment is the final 'test' in my view. If this goes tits up I can see riots happening just like SL. Beware Roland.
  • Excellent post Fanny. I really wanted to give RD the benefit of the doubt a year ago, but I've had enough now. I fear RD's experiment can only end in complete disaster. The only question is just for him or for us too?

Exactly where I am.
  • Sponsored links:

• What was the "team building" referred to in one of the interviews ?
  • From any perspective Saturdays defeat to Watford was a low point this season and to some extent underlines how far we have deteriorated since August, although some would argue that we “over achieved” somewhat, not necessarily a position I subscribe to but nonetheless we really rode our luck a few times and in honesty surprised a lot of pundits including King Nobhead, Paul Jewell.

There have been some pretty disastrous decisions made regarding players although Kermogant went a year ago he was talismatic and our best attacker at the time but I find it hard to believe that we didn’t feel that Michael Morrison was not worth keeping, one of our most consistent performers last year and a leader on the pitch. What’s more when Tal Ben Haim was out due to a religious holiday Michael came in and I thought played really well. Difficult to understand what is going on there.

The main discussion has been around the ownership of the club by Ronald Duchatelet, the presence of Katrien Meire and how the club will survive the next couple of years. It is true that Duchatelet is a smart man you don’t become that rich by being dumb but like all these people they get an inflated ego and that is stoked by the sycophants they tend to have around them. Richer men have made big mistakes, Alan Sugar being one example (not short of an ego is the good Lord) where he nigh on sent his business down the tubes when he got involved with Spurs and led to the famous quote “You can make a small fortune from a Football club but you need a fucking great big one to start with!” and then there’s old Goldilocks Richard Branson and his spaceship…the list goes on.

What we are stuck with is an owner who has a “strategy” and that is to have a network of clubs so that you can interchange the playing/coaching staff to get the best results at the individual clubs. Thing is this isn’t the electronics industry or any other definable business where staff do relocate for the sake of their own careers and that of the company Football is a little different as the club represents the community it resides in, success is built on continuity and team togetherness by shipping players around they don’t develop any affiliation to the club or the supporters because they know they may be moved on in a years’ time. It just isn’t like John from IT relocating from London to Brussels because basically he remains working for the same company but if a player comes from Standard Liege to us it’s completely different in culture in fact everything is totally different and this is what Duchatelet misses. Trouble is who is going to tell him that he is getting it wrong? Katrien the lap dog? Guy Luzon the newly appointed head coach? Don’t think so and so we are stuck with it until he finally gives up the ghost and sells us on.

Add to that a lot of the senior players such as Bikey and Ben Haim are currently sulking like a pair of kids and we have too many players not giving 100%. The difference between the beginning of the season and now is quite amazing I was telling everyone how tight we looked at the back and now you could drive a bus through our defence. No shape, no togetherness and no motivation adds up to a team that needs to shake itself up and realise that they are playing for our club and it belongs to us MORE than it belongs to them.

I guess the bright spot for me is that we already have 31 points I would sooner be having this run now than February/March time when it may become irretrievable and we have time to turn it around 3-4 decent results (although it is hard to see where they are coming from at the moment) and we will be OK. Once again it is hard to be a Charlton supporter especially with Mr. Big time Charlie having his success at Palarse that just makes it even worse, but we’ve been there before either you accept it and keep going or you throw the towel in. After 53 years watching Charlton I have pretty much seen it all before so for me it’s keep going, hope for the best and expect the worst that way you don’t get too disappointed.

Great post Dave. We haven't had one of these in a while, but it's well worthy of being Stig's Post of the Week.

• Rob said:

Excellent post Fanny. I really wanted to give RD the benefit of the doubt a year ago, but I've had enough now. I fear RD's experiment can only end in complete disaster. The only question is just for him or for us too?

Hants. I must admit I'm starting to lean that way myself. This Luzon appointment is the final 'test' in my view. If this goes tits up I can see riots happening just like SL. Beware Roland.
    In truth the post prem years have been poor ones apart from the L1 winning season. The standard of football has been awful on the whole and the guts have gradually been sucked out of the club as more and more long serving and experienced employees leave. Previous Boards have also wasted millions on poor players and managers.

Rather than riots we'll just see falling attendances, apathy and youngsters choosing to support West Ham, Arsenal, Chelsea even Palace rather than us. At the moment I don't see Roland reversing this decline although I hope I'm wrong.

• Network model - so why aren't some of our home grown fringe players wowing supporters of STTV, Alcoran and Ujipest? Even Leige?
  • Network model - so why aren't some of our home grown fringe players wowing supporters of STTV, Alcoran and Ujipest? Even Leige?

I've wondered about that. Morrison was sold, Pope, Piggott went out on loan to English clubs, it does seem that the only loaning seems to be TO Charlton

I've wondered about that. Morrison was sold, Pope, Piggott went out on loan to English clubs, it does seem that the only loaning seems to be TO Charlton
    I actually wonder if the current contracts that our players are on don't allow the club to farm them out to the network without their consent. It may be that RD's contracts have a clause that covers this. Why else would these players agree to travel to all these different clubs around Europe? Some of them have been at 3 or 4 of his clubs at different times. It's a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised.
  • IA said:

Highlight for me was 85 mins in, 4-0 down. The ground went quiet and someone shouted

"Come on Charlton. We can still win this"

That was me :-)

As Phil Chapple says on the "Chapple MIA" thread.....their value is probably better enhanced while they are at Charlton rather than abroad.
  • Also our League One or Two is probably a better standard than the leagues that most of the network teams play in.
  • Granpa said:

OK so we have lost the spirit in the squad which they last showed in the second half on Boxing Day. It has to go back to Roland who insists on being the only person to make decisions in the Club. I have to question his knowledge of the game, and in particular his understanding of people management which appears to be non existent. The general mood is sadness, I share it.

You just can't buy spirit, guts and passion...which is fortunate because Roland wouldn't invest in it even if you could.