Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Watford v Charlton - Post Embarrassment Views

Comments

• How we miss Yann
    The goals
    The headers
    The tackles
    The flicks ons
    The free kicks
    The passion
    Were has it all gone wrong

Belgium
  • How we miss Yann
    The goals
    The headers
    The tackles
    The flicks ons
    The free kicks
    The passion
    Were has it all gone wrong

saw a 5 minute cameo from Kermorgant at Rotherham today .. he looked more threatening in that short time than Vetokele has looked in the past few games that I have seen him .. anyway, he's gone and that is that
  • Scoham said:

Listened to the game but stopped concentrating on it around the time of the 2nd goal.

I thought/hoped we might see a reaction from the team after the rumours about Peeters.

At the moment I'm struggling to see how we'll stay up. Just thinking about the squad, we have 1 Championship standard goalkeeper (assuming Dmitrovic is probably no better than Etheridge/Pope). Right back we're fine with Solly, Gomez and if he plays like he did before this season, Wilson. We have 1 decent left back in Wiggins, for now Solly has got to be the back up unless Fox can push on (I'm not convinced). Centre back I think Bikey and Ben Haim probably have more ability than anything else we've had in the last few years. In the case of Bikey I think Morrison, Cort and Taylor were more consistent and reliable. Onyewu is obviously a cheap short term signing, he might do a job until the end of the season.

Midfield we lack a ball winner, we lack someone strong in the tackle, a bit of aggression. With Jackson rarely able to get forward only JBG is anything like a goalscoring midfielder. We also lack creative players, neither Bulot or Moussa stepped up as hoped, while I don't think we can rely on Harriott over a full season. We lack competition in central midfield which I don't think helps us get the best from Cousins, Jackson and Buyens. Even if any of Bulot, Moussa and Harriott have a good second half of the season, I still think we'll need another player.

Up front in Watt we now have an alternative to Vetokele. Unless they play together they'll be partnered by Tucudean or Church. Neither have the strength to hold up the ball, neither are strong in the air and neither are goalscorers at this level. Yann left nearly a year ago and we still lack a target man (never mind an alternative, like we had with Fuller two years ago). Get a target man in and perhaps we'd get a few goals from the midfielders we have.

I make that 2 ideally 3 signings that we need (a target man and a midfielder or two) if we are to have a proper chance of staying up. That still leaves us with a lack of depth at left back and in goal, and back up players that probably aren't going to make the step up in the second half of the season. As the squad is so small at the moment I don't think we can even consider letting any of them go. Come the summer they'll need improving on if we're going to do anything more than fight relegation.

Of course this is before you even consider whether there's enough team spirit, leadership, confidence etc within the squad to get the results we need, or if not whether we can build it back up again, like we did under Riga.

Over to Roland. It's clear by now he cannot keep a club in this division as cheaply as he thought he could, I hope he has realised that and does something about it in the next couple of weeks.

Thats a great summing up of the current situation. Accurate and constructive. Over to Roland, who will see the club sink further or swim.
  • Seven games, five losses, two draws, but I have seen three goals! Don't worry I'm leaving Friday so we'll win next Saturday. Watford started at a blistering pace and once they battered and bruised Vetokele, there was no one to hold the ball up front. No one in midfield to put their foot on the ball and slow the game down. Defence was under constant pressure. We said at the start of the season that we need a good midfielder and a strong striker to partner Igor. Midfield has got worse, we've bought in Watt, but don't put him on until the game is lost at 3 0. I don't get it. I was close to pitch level and Vetokele put in a hell of a shift in the first half, but cannot do it all on his own against two massive centre halves.
  • My Watford supporting mate who also sees quite a lot of us has just got home.

He told me I did the right thing in choosing not to go. His view was that we were embarrassing and that he hopes it is a one off. He said that Harriott and Solly put some sort of shift in but the rest looked totally disinterested.

He is not gloating in any way, like I said he comes and watches us with me often at The Valley.

He reckons we could be in big trouble.
  • Sponsored links:

• LenGlover said:

My Watford supporting mate who also sees quite a lot of us has just got home.

He told me I did the right thing in choosing not to go. His view was that we were embarrassing and that he hopes it is a one off. He said that Harriott and Solly put some sort of shift in but the rest looked totally disinterested.

He is not gloating in any way, like I said he comes and watches us with me often at The Valley.

He reckons we could be in big trouble.

Ur mate doesn't need to be a rocket scientist to know were in trouble
    Hope you told him the truth and told him it does happen often
  • I hope we're now at the low point. But I agree entirely with you, Braydex.
  • Pathetic. First 10 minutes fine. Players didn't wanna know. Wilson is a joke and needs to fuckoff. Bikey was a calamity in defence.
  • Essex_Al said:

Embarrassing performance from the players matched by the yoof singing Roland out!

Who the fuck do they imagine is going to step up and buy our club?

Saved us from administration, steadying the ship, trying to manage a £6/7 million loss per year, get real!

I'm sure he will back Luzon in the coming weeks and that will be coming from his own pocket!

Ok he saved us from administration in exchange for our soul
    Ok Steadying the ship finacialy but look at the cost on the pitch in terms of crap football
    No we will only get network player
    Ps
    Is this rd or Katrins account?
  • Having had 3 hours to stew on that performance, we have massive problems, as we can't defend. Our strategy in the autumn was keep it tight and nick a goal, which worked pretty well, but now we look so insecure at the back that our powderpuff attack is under massive pressure to score. Watford cut through us so easily, it was embarrassing.
  • I was home for the Cardiff game and quite honestly don't think Cousins is a championship level player and neither is Harriot who has a very poor first touch. So there is improvement needed in a lot of areas I'm afraid.
  • dickplumb said:

Unlucky Charlton, good performance but just didn't get the breaks. Bring on the Wolves

I would hate to see a bad performance. Utter disgrace, I am seething and I didn't go. I feel for the fans who had to watch that shit.

To be fair after the 3rd or 4th hard to remember as gave up caring after the second as knew there was no way back from that, we made fun for ourselves. Cannot fault the fans today we were tremendous. I particularly enjoyed "If Charlton score were on the pitch", could see a few stewards getting a bit nervy but to be fair if they had turned round and saw what was going on behind them, they would have soon realised that it was never going to happen. I've never seen a team get to the oppositions box and just simply pass to the other team so many times.
  • Seven games, five losses, two draws, but I have seen three goals! Don't worry I'm leaving Friday so we'll win next Saturday. Watford started at a blistering pace and once they battered and bruised Vetokele, there was no one to hold the ball up front. No one in midfield to put their foot on the ball and slow the game down. Defence was under constant pressure. We said at the start of the season that we need a good midfielder and a strong striker to partner Igor. Midfield has got worse, we've bought in Watt, but don't put him on until the game is lost at 3 0. I don't get it. I was close to pitch level and Vetokele put in a hell of a shift in the first half, but cannot do it all on his own against two massive centre halves.

And don't bloody come back!!! Go back to Oz and find that whale!!! ✈️☀️
  • First game since Fulham away but here's my thoughts.

First ten mins Vetokele and Gudnundsson both decent chances well saved by Gomes, who is too good a keeper for the Championship.

Then a bit of a shambles.

The keeper was a disgrace. Shouldn't be playing pub football. What was he doing for the second goal? Doesn't get his body behind the ball. Awful...

Cousins and Gudmundsson the most disappointing outfield players for me.

Thought Vetokele tried hard first-half but was up against three six-foot plus defenders on his own.

Wilson was a disgrace and should never play for us again
  • Sponsored links:

• Didn't get the continual abuse aimed at their keeper - what have I missed?
  • was not at the game but my uncle was he said it was the worst 10 games in 50years supporting cafc so what the fuck was wilson playing does not deserve to a cafc shirt my uncle said he was worse than last week and he was shit last week
  • Uboat said:

Very little bickering on here, which is unusual. Roland has done the unthinkable and created consensus on Charlton Life.
    That consensus being that he is a knob.

Just been on the Katrien thread. Turns out there is bickering.
  • Essex_Al said:

Embarrassing performance from the players matched by the yoof singing Roland out!

Who the fuck do they imagine is going to step up and buy our club?

Saved us from administration, steadying the ship, trying to manage a £6/7 million loss per year, get real!

I'm sure he will back Luzon in the coming weeks and that will be coming from his own pocket!

Well, people who know tell me that there would be, if he'd sell.
  • good old cafc laughing stock again
  • IdleHans said:

Last week I was accused of "wooly thinking" and "sugary rhetoric" when I said that Jacko was unfit.

Well, we would not have lost 5-0 today with a proper Captain like Jacko on the field.

I don't think I heard one of our players being vocal today.

Embarrassing.

We'd still have got walloped, but you know there would at least have been one player in our team who gave a toss Sell the lot of them if they were worth anything.

Credit to Tony Watt, who looked interested and was signing autographs at half time while warming up. What must he be thinking now?

Only with any balls to come over at the end as well. Gave his shirt to a young lad in the front row
  • edited January 2015
    IdleHans said:

Didn't get the continual abuse aimed at their keeper - what have I missed

He truly looked clueless. Like when you're playing five-a-side and someone brings a mate who turns out to be awful and not know how football works.
    Strangely though, he also pulled out a couple of worldies.
  • I feel dirty for saying it, but I wish to God we had Diego Poyet in midfield.
    Can't stand any more of this non-tackling, 'After you Claude' midfield bullshit.
  • edited January 2015
    Well here's my two bobs worth.

Took the Grandson to his first away game and we watched a complete and utter shambles, particularly once the first had gone in.

If the passion shown by the players had matched the teams supporters the result would have been reversed.

Very difficult to get any enthusiasm for the up coming games and not sure my Grandson can take anymore.

For me the day was summed up when we left, another young lad was crying his eyes out at the (lack of) performance while his slightly older brother comforted him.

So Km if you did shed a few tears on the train (and I truely hope you weren't bullied) sadly you weren't the only one today.

By the way anybody who thinks the keeper had a good game look at the highlights tonight, he was useless. Mind you most of them were.