Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs Brighton - Post match views

Comments

• A very worrying afternoon,failure to get anything out of a match against a very poor Brighton team gives real cause for concern.Additionally when a player like Wilson, who I have always rated can turn in a performance as bad as that then the finger must be pointed at the manager as well as the player.
    we always seem to give the same type of goal away, a needless foul and then a failure to deal with a free kick.The new keeper gives no confidence to the back four and our inability to score puts added pressure on the defence.
    If Peeters is staying then urgent reinforcements are needed,we have too many players of below Championship standard and we all know who they are,Watt looks promising and we need to add a creative midfielder, another striker and a wide man as minimum requirements. I also question why Mortison,who was under contract, was allowed to leave for nothing and whether Bikey. In particular will last the season.We haven't seen the new keeper yet but it is not coincidental that the decline started after Hendersons injury.
    It is not panic stations quite yet but it is hard at the moment to see where the next win is coming from.We have the transfer window and that will show whether Roland really has any ambition for our great club.

• The problem is we've seen these exact same players, every one of them (perhaps Solly and Ben Haim as the exceptions), play far, far better, individually and as a team than they are right now. Sloppy passes, weak tackles (if any), half hearted shots, terrible set pieces in attack and defence, but from players who took on teams like Derby and Norwich and outfought and outplayed better, more expensive/experienced teams and got results on merit not luck.

Something has gone, something is missing and it can't entirely be tiredness only halfway through the season. I don't know if Bob's lost his way somewhere but there's been very little to suggest to me he is actually able to turn it around, I can't see how this team is going to get that spirit back. It's very disheartening, as a team and as a club there seems to be no-one who really CARES about Charlton any more... and soon enough there will be fans who can't bring themselves to care either.

Watt looks like he could be a good signing and provide a spark but we need 2-3 more of the same quality at minimum, not a couple of journeymen loanees/hot prospects with no experience. There has to be investment in quality and I don't think RD cares to provide it.
  • Btw, with the goal, whoever it was that said that TBH is expecting Ehteridge to collect seems spot on to me. You can see here that it looks to be keeper's ball all day.

The look TBH gives the keeper says it all.
  • no more money will be available for new players ? .. we could still come good with this 'full strength line-up' .. Henderson Solly Ben Haim Bikey Wiggins .. G'Sson Buyens Jackson Cousins .. Watt Vetokele (although the midfield is still looking VERY weak and Vetokele needs to get with the programme) .. BUT .. it needs to happen soooooooon
  • no more money will be available for new players ? .. we could still come good with this 'full strength line-up' .. Henderson Solly Ben Haim Bikey Wiggins .. G'Sson Buyens Jackson Cousins .. Watt Vetokele (although the midfield is still looking VERY weak and Vetokele needs to get with the programme) .. BUT .. it needs to happen soooooooon

Not if the manager has alienated half of those players we won't come good imo. If no team spirit or confidence then we're buggered. Most of the team yesterday aren't bad players... some can be great if they WANT to be.

This has to be down to the manager. Unfortunately if he *does* go, he will almost certainly be replaced with another nonentity 'yes-man'

• Agree with the overall feelings on here,
    Very discontented, can't see where our next win is going to come from. For me Bobs time isn't up but he doesn't have much longer to turn it around. So frustrating right now, not seen us win since Watford at home.

On the game, solly, cousins (stepped up in cm, wtf was he ever doing on the wing), tbh (MOTM) were only positives as well as watt in his cameo. Gomez is comfortable on the ball and has amazing potential but his final ball lets him down at times. JBG still not got his corners sorted. My initial reaction when they scored - where was the marking?! After watching the replay it's WTF was etheridge doing?! He's come out to get it and then pulled his hands away?! Overall a real nothing performance from us, no belief and no desire, nobody wanted the ball. Depressing.

This is the same squad and the same manager that beat Watford, Derby and Norwich! I want that charlton back!

• Ok the free kick that lead up to the goal was the correct decision fair enough. But between Sols hitting the bar and that frer kick there was exactly the same foul on our player that wasn't given. There is of course every chance had we'd not have scored from it. If that's given it breaks up the passage of play that leads up to their goal. But consistency in refereeing my god.
  • Anyone know where Moussa is?
  • Sponsored links:

• DeeBee said:

Anyone know where Moussa is?

Still injured
  • boggzy said:

no more money will be available for new players ? .. we could still come good with this 'full strength line-up' .. Henderson Solly Ben Haim Bikey Wiggins .. G'Sson Buyens Jackson Cousins .. Watt Vetokele (although the midfield is still looking VERY weak and Vetokele needs to get with the programme) .. BUT .. it needs to happen soooooooon

This has to be down to the manager. Unfortunately if he *does* go, he will almost certainly be replaced with another nonentity 'yes-man'

This is our problem. Reading the thread and reflecting on recent games I'm coming round to the view that Bob should go, but what are the chances of the new bloke being any better? It seems very unlikely it would be a tried and tested Championship manager.
  • Ironically, Charlton are still better off than last season (game for game) by 3 points. Who would have thought?
  • All the previous comments re team moral and Bobs behaviour to individuals match up to stuff I have heard from day one (of his arrival) from within the team
    The moral of the team and lack of players playing to the maximum all add up to a very unhappy team.
    I believe there's more than enough ability for this team to be mid table but I can't say Bob is getting that out of them and that could lead to a scrap that only the likes of Golfie foresaw

15% 7th-12th ......75% 13th-21st...... 10% Relegation
  • All the previous comments re team moral and Bobs behaviour to individuals match up to stuff I have heard from day one (of his arrival) from within the team
    The moral of the team and lack of players playing to the maximum all add up to a very unhappy team.
    I believe there's more than enough ability for this team to be mid table but I can't say Bob is getting that out of them and that could lead to a scrap that only the likes of Golfie foresaw

15% 7th-12th ......75% 13th-21st...... 10% Relegation

Not even half a % for top six?

When SCP left the building last season, I believe that JJ called a meeting of the squad sans management personnel to put all cards on the table, commit to giving their utmost for the remaining games and stick together whatever the outcome.

IMO, something of this nature badly needs to happen now.

The difference is that Chris had forged a team of honest players into an " All for one & one for all" unit who played for each other through the good & bad times last season.

We can only guess & listen to Chinese whispers as to the atmosphere in the dressing room at this moment in time. But for sure, the fragmentation of the squad is there for all to see.

For whatever reasons, it's apparent that Bob has issues with several previously named players and that in itself is a worry.

Unfortunately, it would seem highly likely that one of those players is our current captain whose voice was heard loud & clear just 10 months or so ago. Rumours of his departure to rejoin his former manager may not be too wide of the mark ...whether he should relinquish his place in the starting line up is for individuals ( and Bob) to discuss but no-one should argue that he is a senior/respected figure behind the scenes.

So, IMO we possibly have a ship that's fast losing its rudder - and manning the lifeboats is becoming closer with each game.

I wonder whether Keith Peacock, our Club's Ambassador, has the ear of any of the player management staff these days . Keith doesn't appear to sit in the Directors' Box seat he used to occupy , from where he'd run down to the bench to proffer his slant on the current game. He was also very visible at the final whistle and would put his arm around the shoulder of players who needed some reassurance or to congratulate them for their performance that day. The younger lads were especially targeted for his attention and I believe the lack of his presence at this difficult time is a major loss - another example of "out with the old, in with the new" to the detriment of all concerned.

Whether or not Bob has lost the entire dressing room remains to be seen.

Whether or not he will be gone before we travel to Watford is questionable.

Whether he will be given more time to show what he can achieve now that senior players are returning to fitness, together with the addition of a decent striking partner for Igor, I know not.

But I can't help feeling that it's time to draw the Charlton family closer together ; to draw on the experience & expertise of those who have more knowledge of the Championship & management at that level and of our Club in particular.

Bob cuts a very lonely figure. Maybe his pride will prevent him from asking for advice from others. Maybe he has asked but doesn't accept the suggestions given....a case of "doing it my way".

I have the feeling that the next 7 days will be crucial for the Big Belgian and for our beloved Club.

All we can do is sit nervously and wait for news, buy our tickets for Watford and get behind the lads for the reminder of the season like never before.

Onwards & upwards TOGETHER !

Excellent post FF. That's the one thing I will say that BP doesn't have yet, is that team spirit Powell could foster.

Whether that's because we have a relatively new team and it will take time, or BP can't do it, I don't know.

It would be good if JJ could do something similar, but it's not the same clique anymore. You could tell there was the core bond of Hamer, Morro, Church, Wilson & JJ last season, maybe Solly and Wiggins. I get the feeling there isn't that core of players he would care to do it for this time.

I'm not questioning his commitment to the cause or captaincy, just think he might not feel that core exists anymore

When SCP left the building last season, I believe that JJ called a meeting of the squad sans management personnel to put all cards on the table, commit to giving their utmost for the remaining games and stick together whatever the outcome.

IMO, something of this nature badly needs to happen now.

The difference is that Chris had forged a team of honest players into an " All for one & one for all" unit who played for each other through the good & bad times last season.

We can only guess & listen to Chinese whispers as to the atmosphere in the dressing room at this moment in time. But for sure, the fragmentation of the squad is there for all to see.

For whatever reasons, it's apparent that Bob has issues with several previously named players and that in itself is a worry.

Unfortunately, it would seem highly likely that one of those players is our current captain whose voice was heard loud & clear just 10 months or so ago. Rumours of his departure to rejoin his former manager may not be too wide of the mark ...whether he should relinquish his place in the starting line up is for individuals ( and Bob) to discuss but no-one should argue that he is a senior/respected figure behind the scenes.

So, IMO we possibly have a ship that's fast losing its rudder - and manning the lifeboats is becoming closer with each game.

I wonder whether Keith Peacock, our Club's Ambassador, has the ear of any of the player management staff these days . Keith doesn't appear to sit in the Directors' Box seat he used to occupy , from where he'd run down to the bench to proffer his slant on the current game. He was also very visible at the final whistle and would put his arm around the shoulder of players who needed some reassurance or to congratulate them for their performance that day. The younger lads were especially targeted for his attention and I believe the lack of his presence at this difficult time is a major loss - another example of "out with the old, in with the new" to the detriment of all concerned.

Whether or not Bob has lost the entire dressing room remains to be seen.

Whether or not he will be gone before we travel to Watford is questionable.

Whether he will be given more time to show what he can achieve now that senior players are returning to fitness, together with the addition of a decent striking partner for Igor, I know not.

But I can't help feeling that it's time to draw the Charlton family closer together ; to draw on the experience & expertise of those who have more knowledge of the Championship & management at that level and of our Club in particular.

Bob cuts a very lonely figure. Maybe his pride will prevent him from asking for advice from others. Maybe he has asked but doesn't accept the suggestions given....a case of "doing it my way".

I have the feeling that the next 7 days will be crucial for the Big Belgian and for our beloved Club.

All we can do is sit nervously and wait for news, buy our tickets for Watford and get behind the lads for the reminder of the season like never before.

Onwards & upwards TOGETHER !

Terrific post FF .. written with insight and passion .. let's hope that the players come close to matching your love for the club and start, at the very least, to start playing once more with some flair, real commitment and confidence
  • (Not sure if others noted Ben Haim giving Wilson real stick in the 2nd half

Wilson moaned at Ben Haim, who then gestured that Wilson should have been in a better position. Wilson then moaned more, to which Ben Haim waved a hand in a "I can't take you seriously.." fashion.
  • Simonsen said:

(Not sure if others noted Ben Haim giving Wilson real stick in the 2nd half

Wilson moaned at Ben Haim, who then gestured that Wilson should have been in a better position. Wilson then moaned more, to which Ben Haim waved a hand in a "I can't take you seriously.." fashion.
    Was sitting right by this. Ben Haim wanted Wilson to move forward but Wilson wanted it played to him where he was. Ben Haim then passed it to someone else and gestured to Wilson that he should have been further forward to which Wilson disagreed. Handbags and totally meaningless.
  • Sponsored links:

• Last 12 games.

Sobering to look at Huddersfield, scored over twice as many goals us as in the last 12 when we've invested and they haven't really. CP negative and BP the man to bring us forward? Hmm.

They're both shit
    lol
  • A really disappointing performance again, and I'm starting to get a little nervous.

Desperately need 2 more central midfielders. I've been waiting for Cousins to get a chance in the middle, sadly he didn't do it today, hope he will do better with Buyens alongside him. I love Jackson for what he has done in the past but he's not up to 90 minutes in the middle of the park in the Championship, I feel he'd be better used as an experienced head to bring on to close out matches (if we have the need). Would love to see Coquelin back but I can't see it.

I don't think Bob is doing a great job, but his hand is being forced by injuries and suspensions. We're really missing a bit of creativity, we only really have JBG and other sides seem to be aware of this and doubling up on him. Leaving Jackson/Cousins/Wilson (yesterday) to create the chances for the strikers, if I was a forward I wouldn't be expecting a hatful of opportunities and that's the way it's going at the moment. It would be nice if Bulot/Harriot/Moussa could step up, but they'd be an improvement on Wilson!

Not too concerned with the strikers, Watt looked good yesterday, we need to get Igor fit again, and Church has looked lively against Blackburn and Brighton. I can't remember them missing many chances, the trouble is they end up trying to do too much with the ones they aren't getting many!

The defense looks pretty solid with good cover in most positions. Bikey looked a bit suspect yesterday, but with Solly and Wiggins in the side we have more width going forward, as our midfielders seem to drift in, particularly JBG.

A few new players and a win (any kind of win) will give players, fans and managers a lift. I just hope they come sooner rather than later!
  • With Wiggins returning and quickly getting back up to speed, I still don't see why Jacko (leaving aside his injury) can't play left midfield. Yes he's slow, yes he won't run past opponents, but Wiggins can do that and Jacko is the perfect person to fill in behind him.
    Yesterday, Wiggins was the only person sending crosses in from that side anyway, despite being left footed, JBG isn't a left winger, as he loves to cut inside and isn't a good crosser of the ball.
  • Gomez must be found a starting place somewhere in the side. He is too good a player to be on the bench.
  • Not only are we short in midfield but the players we have are being used wrong...
    at the start of the transfer window I said that for a full strength midfield we would need a winger, an attacking midfielder a creative midfielder ala Coquelin and a genuine CDM ala Poyet.

It was ambitious to expect our tight fisted "president" to grace us with the gift of all of these but we need at least one or two as well as a return from injuries for the rest..

Until we get someone new in (which could well be the summer) we have to make the best out of what we have got.

To do this we have to play cousins as the CDM even if it stops him going forward as much. This will allow Buyens to get forward more and be the creative player he is meant to be.. by forcing him to play deeper we are nullifying the best aspects of his game and highlighting the worst ie tackling, ball winning, tracking back and covering. Let cousins do that and we will have a creative outlet down the middle which will reduce the reliance on Gudmundsson as our only creative outlet. This would also allow the fullbacks to get forward properly as they know cousins is there to drop in and cover.. and the full backs going forward means we will see the benefits of inverted wingers. This all added together means we will be creating more and better chances and have more people in the box no matter which strike partnership we put out..

I think we need a genuine CDM as cousins in more of a box to box CM but failing that use him there...

Do I would play

.........Watt Igor
    harriott Buyens Gudmundsson
    ..............cousins
    wiggins TBH Bikey Solly
    ........Cantersaddick

Not saying it's gonna be a miracle cure but might as well try it.. I'm a massive fan of JJ but I think he's gonna have to deal with a spell on the bench. As we need two up front and Buyens needs the right player to bring the best out of him.

Also would like to see Adjarevic coming on loan.. can be the CAM and be creative coming off the bench...

But we won't see him and this is something that has wound me up about bob. He said in an interview in the summer when asked about AA that he wasn't his type of player! Well for me mate, such it up! Your not a manager your a head coach you work with what you've got! You know what Roland is like. You refuse one player you done get another one... you get nothing.. so take what you've got and get the best out of them.. same with Morrison and Wilson...

It was in an interview when he said he's been offered a load of players from liege and watt was the only one he wanted... now fair enough of lots of them weren't up to it ala Koc but some of them could have been able to come in and do a job off the bench or act as cover if it's that or nothing mate.. take the something...

Okay rant over!

• edited January 2015
    purdis said:

1StevieG said:

mrbligh said:

Fuck Wilson off. Never has one man hid quite like he did today

Stealing a living

Don't think there is a word that exists in the English dictionary to sum up Wilson today. I bet Brighton could not believe their luck to find out they had an extra man playing for them. First touch was non existent, was second to anything that came near him, tackling was a joke and passing was embarrasing.
    Gomez is decent and good in the air so where was he for their goal?
    Personally, it looked a Keeper's ball to me and it was right in front of us.

Nothing to do with Gomez, TBH let the scorer get in behind him and expected the keeper to get it who gave an impression of hanging out the washing :-1:
  • RedChaser said:

purdis said:

1StevieG said:

mrbligh said:

Fuck Wilson off. Never has one man hid quite like he did today

Stealing a living

Don't think there is a word that exists in the English dictionary to sum up Wilson today. I bet Brighton could not believe their luck to find out they had an extra man playing for them. First touch was non existent, was second to anything that came near him, tackling was a joke and passing was embarrasing.
    Gomez is decent and good in the air so where was he for their goal?
    Personally, it looked a Keeper's ball to me and it was right in front of us.

Nothing to do with Gomez, TBH let the scorer get in behind him and expected the keeper to get it who gave an impression of hanging out the washing :-1:
    Exactly, it wasn't Gomez's man to mark, nor was it in the 'zone' he would attack. For Gomez to have been there covering at the far post would have left Bikey alone in the centre to deal with three or four attacking players by himself - they couldn't know that would be the right choice with hindsight.
  • Keepers ball all day long. He makes a move for it, misjudges the flight and then pulls his arm away.

Ball delivered close to back stick like that favours the attacker when jumping against the defender. So it usually helps when you have a man with gloves who is allowed to use his hands.

comical keeping. worse than any of NP`s mistakes. Etheridge is two bob peeters, shouldnt be playing anywhere near this level.
  • This might be of interest to some of you:

Neville and Carragher discuss man to man vs zonal marking:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KCFfRawa0sA&feature=youtu.be
  • Not only are we short in midfield but the players we have are being used wrong...
    at the start of the transfer window I said that for a full strength midfield we would need a winger, an attacking midfielder a creative midfielder ala Coquelin and a genuine CDM ala Poyet.

It was ambitious to expect our tight fisted "president" to grace us with the gift of all of these but we need at least one or two as well as a return from injuries for the rest..

Until we get someone new in (which could well be the summer) we have to make the best out of what we have got.

To do this we have to play cousins as the CDM even if it stops him going forward as much. This will allow Buyens to get forward more and be the creative player he is meant to be.. by forcing him to play deeper we are nullifying the best aspects of his game and highlighting the worst ie tackling, ball winning, tracking back and covering. Let cousins do that and we will have a creative outlet down the middle which will reduce the reliance on Gudmundsson as our only creative outlet. This would also allow the fullbacks to get forward properly as they know cousins is there to drop in and cover.. and the full backs going forward means we will see the benefits of inverted wingers. This all added together means we will be creating more and better chances and have more people in the box no matter which strike partnership we put out..

I think we need a genuine CDM as cousins in more of a box to box CM but failing that use him there...

Do I would play

.........Watt Igor
    harriott Buyens Gudmundsson
    ..............cousins
    wiggins TBH Bikey Solly
    ........Cantersaddick

Not saying it's gonna be a miracle cure but might as well try it.. I'm a massive fan of JJ but I think he's gonna have to deal with a spell on the bench. As we need two up front and Buyens needs the right player to bring the best out of him.

Also would like to see Adjarevic coming on loan.. can be the CAM and be creative coming off the bench...

But we won't see him and this is something that has wound me up about bob. He said in an interview in the summer when asked about AA that he wasn't his type of player! Well for me mate, such it up! Your not a manager your a head coach you work with what you've got! You know what Roland is like. You refuse one player you done get another one... you get nothing.. so take what you've got and get the best out of them.. same with Morrison and Wilson...

It was in an interview when he said he's been offered a load of players from liege and watt was the only one he wanted... now fair enough of lots of them weren't up to it ala Koc but some of them could have been able to come in and do a job off the bench or act as cover if it's that or nothing mate.. take the something...

Okay rant over!

Some good points for sure.

Only problem with AA was his fitness otherwise could be good for us.

I was really disappointed how many 50-50 balls we lost yesterday either because we weren't strong enough or technically inept and something that seriously needs focusing upon in training.

I have always been a huge fan of using the full width and particularly of getting behind the full backs on either flank. Again, something we appear to have lost the ability to do.
    Yesterday, for example, the odd occasion we did get behind their full backs we caused problems - it's a no brainer. In the event of the opposition doubling or trebling up on the flanks when we are near their box, well that drags players towards the play which in itself must create some space and holes to look to exploit by cutting inside or whipping in an early ball.

Totally agree on Buyens - he's a good distributor which is why we miss Coquelin so much. Buyens spends much of his time covering for Jackson and that's a waste of his talents. Buyens tackling is as bad as Paul Scholes but his positive strengths should be exploited.