Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dmitrovic - Goalie signed from Ujpest

12346»

Comments

• Would Ben Roberts say anything but complimentary remarks about any goalie we sign. I know he said Thuram would not have signed for us if not for RD, but I believe that was after Thuram left.
  • RobCAFC said:

"Could also be rephrased, 'If without knowing anything about them, we were offered the option of either Ujpest's 2nd choice keeper or the Philippines National Team keeper' .."

Being the Filipino #1 is hardly the biggest accomplishment going now is it? At least being #1 for the Serbian U21's carries an amount of prestige with it.

During qualification, Mitrovic has been up against the likes of our very own Igor Vetokele, Batshuayi, Origi, Belotti, Munain, Morata, Isco, Sergi Roberto, Deolufeu, El Haddadi etc. etc.

Etheridge last appeared for the Philippines in the AFC Championship, where they played the likes of Palestine, Maldives and Afghanistan, losing to Palestine in the Final.

As most people have stated) I don't see Etheridge as a long term prospect for us at all, I highly doubt he will be here beyond the season, whereas here we have a 22 year old, who seems to have genuine pedigree and has been playing at a much higher level for his country (he actually has 12 U21 caps for those who went straight to Wikipedia) but we're all so quick to write him off because he is 1. from the network and 2. he has been stuck on the bench all season, when even the guy who supports Ujpest has said isn't necessarily his fault.

He could turn up here and be absolutely awful, or (as I suspect/hope) he may genuinely have a bit about him and be a much better keeper than Etheridge.

As someone mentioned before, if we hadn't signed this guy from the network, we'd all be raving about our new Serbian U21 keeper! Sadly, that's the fickle and frustrating nature of a football "fan"

Harsh.

Also I would not call U21 level Internationally for Serbia a much higher level of quality (key word 'much') than internationally for Philippines. Of course it's a higher level but this is youth football we are talking, Dmitrovic turns 23 in a couple of weeks time, his U21 days are behind him, if he can push himself into the Serbia main team then we are talking.. if not he is of no real difference to the quality of Thuram (international apps for French U20 & U21), Nego who has apps through the entire international youth system of France up to U20. We both saw how they performed in the English Championship.... In Etheridge's defence he has been around English professional football teams for 12 years, but he's not been good enough to break into a starting spot anywhere.

We're probably splitting straws as neither are good enough for this league in essence (at the mo).

He may well be the better keeper but there's no way he's the better keeper for the next few weeks, if not months. Etheridge until Hendo is back or we're playing with fire.
  • Do we know what his English is like??? Communication is key for a keeper this was part of the problem with Thuram didn't know the defence and couldn't speak enough English to effectively communicate with them.. even if this fella Dimitrovic or however it's spelt is a better keeper he's gonna need a few weeks to settle get to know the players around him and gain their confidence. Until then Etheridge has to stay and Henderson may be fit by then who knows...
  • @RobCAFC‌

I don't think the argument is whether we should have him at all. It is that some people are arguing he should go straight in tomorrow. I continue to assert that this would be an appallingly stupid thing to do, but I am confident that this idea exists only in the minds of a few people here. I'd be gobsmacked if he started ahead of Etheridge.
  • One thing that I find positive is that I don't remember Roberts saying anything similar when we signed big yohann? Could be wrong though.
  • The thing about Etheridge, is that while I can't think of any worldy saves yet, I can't think of any horrendous mistakes either, of the sort that has the crowd screaming for a replacement
  • @RobCAFC‌

I don't think the argument is whether we should have him at all. It is that some people are arguing he should go straight in tomorrow. I continue to assert that this would be an appallingly stupid thing to do, but I am confident that this idea exists only in the minds of a few people here. I'd be gobsmacked if he started ahead of Etheridge.

Looking at a youtube clip he looks brave, gets good distance on his punch & a decent kick out but his handling on a few occasions looks a little dodgy & a couple of times he seems to lose track of the ball & ends up chasing it round his 6 yard box. With better coaching he could turn out to be decent but surely too soon to play in the championship, having said that we have no experienced goalie fit? Bikey & TBH need to step up to the plate & protect which ever inexperienced goalie plays tomorrow. I hope its Etheridge.
  • not turned out to be the disaster most were predicting hoping
  • The thing about Etheridge, is that while I can't think of any worldy saves yet, I can't think of any horrendous mistakes either, of the sort that has the crowd screaming for a replacement

The goal against Brighton at The Valley, he got nowhere near it, wasn't a ricket but it was a bit of a howler
  • not turned out to be the disaster most were predicting hoping

Third time lucky then! That said, a fully fit Henderson would still be my preference as first choice keeper, though Dimi's the best of the rest on current evidence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not seen enough to judge really. Didn't have many crosses to come and claim against Rotherham, made an absolutely blinding save but that was about it. His kicking was very strong - perhaps too strong - and the couple of clearances he skewed were fizzed in so no complaint there. Also impressed that he was quick off his line for a couple of "keeper-sweeper" moments showing his head is on it!

Look forward to seeing a couple more games this week and seeing what he is capable of
  • Seems aalright and with the early season back four in front of him we'd probably be in a decent position by the end of the season, but time is running out for us to find that form
  • Henderson has to go straight back in when fit.
  • Yep, good goalkeeper.

Think Henderson goes straight back in when fit though - he seemed to instill a bit more confidence in the defence.
  • The lads only just 23 so will be a good GK to have in the future
  • sammy391 said:

The lads only just 23 so will be a good GK to have in the future

Same age as Nick Pope though….
  • Let nobody down.

Impressed that he's come in to a stricken team and aquitted himself well.
    Decent keeper in the making here, just needs to play.

• Hopefully Henderson is back soon so we can get a run of 5 or 6 nil nil draws before he gets injured again.
  • sammy391 said:

He is better than Pope
  • I didn't see him come off his line to catch/punch against Rotherham .... but maybe that's HIS zone.
  • Sponsored links:

• sammy391 said:

I'd put him ahead of Pope for the moment but only because Pope's confidence got shot to pieces earlier in the season and hopefully that will be rebuilt at Bury.

Its going to be interesting to see what happens on the keeping front in the Summer as we have too many. I presume Etherdige will be released. We will then have Henderson, Dmitrovis, Pope, Milovic (sp?) Philips.
  • Funny how well these players do once they escape THE network.

• Dazzler21 said:
    Funny how well these players do once they escape THE network.

I thought it was Fred out of first dates!
  • He was actually always a pretty solid GK, but think because of his relation to the network etc he was never favourite/rated! 

Clearly he was good enough 
  • sammy391 said:
    He was actually always a pretty solid GK, but think because of his relation to the network etc he was never favourite/rated! 

Plenty of network players were rated, I’d say it was more down to him never getting a run of games. He wasn’t a player we needed at the time, much like we didn’t need Thuram.
  • edited July 2021
    I saw Marko Dmitrovic make his debut at Sparrows lane for U23 and he was similar to Phillips at that stage of his career when he was a good shot stopper but didn't like to come off his line too far. Dmitrovic made his debut for Cafc at Wolves in a 0-0 which isn't too shabby.
    Marko have been at Spanish clubs since July 2015: Alcorcon, Eibar and now a top move to Servilla for the 29 year old.

18 caps for Serbia since getting the shirt from Vladimir Stojkovic.
  • edited July 2021
    Scoham said:
    sammy391 said:
    He was actually always a pretty solid GK, but think because of his relation to the network etc he was never favourite/rated! 

Plenty of network players were rated, I’d say it was more down to him never getting a run of games. He wasn’t a player we needed at the time, much like we didn’t need Thuram.
     His timeline (18 month contract) and Nick Pope appeared to be Vying for the jersey with who ever was number 1 seven years ago.

Edit: just read back and saw Henderson's name mentioned.