Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dmitrovic - Goalie signed from Ujpest

Comments

• I think this guy is going to start on Saturday and i wish him all the luck with his career here.
  • Madz said:

I think this guy is going to start on Saturday and i wish him all the luck with his career here.

Just hope it's Peeters decision to start him and not Roland's.
  • I too think he will start.
  • Madz said:

I think this guy is going to start on Saturday and i wish him all the luck with his career here.

Just hope it's Peeters decision to start him and not Roland's.
    I agree.
  • Madz said:

That would be utter madness

• edited January 2015

Madz said:

It happened with Thuram. And he was picked over much better keepers than Etheridge.
  • Why madness... Etheridge has conceded six goals in the last three matches... Pope and Henderson have been slatted for a lot less this season
  • Madz said:

why? Perhaps he's better than Etheridge. As I see it Etheridge has only been signed as back up while Henderson is out and Pope is on loan gaining further experience and then it'll be Henderson, Dmitrovic and Pope fighting it out next season.

• Why madness... Etheridge has conceded six goals in the last three matches... Pope and Henderson have been slatted for a lot less this season

A kid. A foreign kid, who has just arrived. Who has had hardly any senior game time, either in Hungary or before that. Who has had hardly any time to meet his team-mates let alone train with them. And you want to throw him into one of the most important games of the season?

Which of Etheridge's conceded goals were down to his blunders, worthy of being dropped?
  • Madz said:

I still think he will play, madness or not. I guess it comes down to whether Peeters feels he is better than Etheridge. This will seriously annoy Etheridge as he came to us expecting to play, but i still think it will happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• A kid? Thought he was 22, just two years younger than Etheridge. If we were saying that he was playing in front of Henderson I'd agree that would be madness but I can't accept that he maybe isn't better than a player who a month ago couldn't get even on Oldham's bench. We obviously don't see Etheridge as a long term option.

A kid. A foreign kid, who has just arrived. Who has had hardly any senior game time, either in Hungary or before that. Who has had hardly any time to meet his team-mates let alone train with them. And you want to throw him into one of the most important games of the season?

Which of Etheridge's conceded goals were down to his blunders, worthy of being dropped?
    Exactly. There are 10 other players on the pitch that the ball has to get past first.
  • Out his depth in the Championship, if our job is to ruin our & network players confidence then we will be doing a fine job of it by chucking this boy in. The goalkeeper spot is SO important to the team ahead of him, teams in trouble swap & change keepers all the time when in actual fact it's not the keepers fault, the players ahead of him don't know their keeper well enough as to when to pass back, which side is their most comfortable in different scenarios, etc etc.

Keep Etheridge in nets until we have a proven shot stopper (like Hendo back), we are not in the league to be used as a player merry go round.
  • Out his depth in the Championship, if our job is to ruin our & network players confidence then we will be doing a fine job of it by chucking this boy in. The goalkeeper spot is SO important to the team ahead of him, teams in trouble swap & change keepers all the time when in actual fact it's not the keepers fault, the players ahead of him don't know their keeper well enough as to when to pass back, which side is their most comfortable in different scenarios, etc etc.

Keep Etheridge in nets until we have a proven shot stopper (like Hendo back), we are not in the league to be used as a player merry go round.

Could say the same about Etheridge imo. Not been particularly impressed and only a short-term stop-gap until Hendo is fit. Until we have seen Dmitrovic play how can we say if he is better or worse?

• Crazy Etherdige has done nothing wrong, none of the goals he has conceded were down to him. This kid is coming over with limited experience of the English game which is rougher than the European game, at least give him a couple of development squad games to see what its like.

Could say the same about Etheridge imo. Not been particularly impressed and only a short-term stop-gap until Hendo is fit. Until we have seen Dmitrovic play how can we say if he is better or worse?

Etheridge is not great either, he's certainly not the quality of keeper you need in this league but you've dismissed the rest of my post, why swap a keeper for a keeper who's just signed, will barely know our defence's names let alone tendencies on the football pitch.

Atleast wait to find a reason to drop Etheridge and at the same time you give Dmitrovic more time to bed in, meet the players properly and even look into other teams in the Championship and what sort of league it is.

It's all a bit of a circus and I really don't understand how Roland think's he's going to make a profit from all this, as I said earlier I wouldn't be surprised if this keeper is a more orthodox version of Thuram, from knowing the Hungarian football league (my job) and watching his 'highlights'.

We need to find a solid XI, Etheridge is the safest pick we have fit, stick with him.

On that basis, the entire back four should be dropped. I wouldn't say any of those goals were Etheridge's fault alone, or at all actually.
  • I would personally keep Etheridge in goal but only because I don't know how good or not this Dmitrovic fella is. If he is picked on Saturday, it'll be on merit and I'll back him as I would any other Charlton player.
  • One interesting stat...

Neil Etheridge has played 19 club appearances in his career.
    Mark Dmitrovic has played 12...
  • As someone pointed out earlier, give Dmitroivc a few U21 games first before throwing him straight not the first team.
  • Sponsored links:

I concede that is an interesting point about Etheridge. However if the club were to pretend that it's fine to throw Dmitrovic straight in just because he has "potential" they would show that they have learnt nothing from the Pope episode, nor taken on board the depth of resource needed in this league. We should have started with two experienced keepers. Ben Alnwick could have been one of them.

• Has Henderson had a limb removed? What's wrong with him?
  • PL54 said:

Has Henderson had a limb removed? What's wrong with him?

He is having an exploratory operation on an injured shoulder.

If it's good news, he may be back in weeks. If it's bad news he'll be out for the season.
  • Bob saying Hendy injury not as bad a feared.
  • Sorry Prague but Etheridge hasn't exactly been here that long himself, is 2 years older and has only played 7 games more, hasn't set the world on fire in his appearances and wasn't needed at Oldham of all places.

I haven't seen Dmitrovic play, neither have you, so how do we possibly know how talented he is?

Pope is roughly the same age as him as well, so any argument about his youthfulness doesn't hold water if the solution offered up is to play him instead of Dmitrovic.

I have no idea if we will play him, if he's any good or if Henderson will be back in four weeks time, but I'm certainly not going to slate a player that no-one on his forum had a clue about less than a week ago.

Etheridge been at a Premier League club since he was 13. Played U21 Premier League Reserve football.

Played 43 times for his country.

Dmitrovic played youth football in Serbia and mostly Hungarian Cup games in front of one man and his dog.

Played 5 times for his countries U21's.
  • vffvff
    edited January 2015
    Get fit and well soon Stephen Henderson !!!
  • RobCAFC said:

Hello everyone!

After reading a fair few of the posts on this site and being a lifelong Charlton fan (24 years good and bad!) I thought I'd join up and offer my opinion (everyone has one, as they say!)

Although Etheridge can't be personally blamed for the goals he has conceded, I'd guess that the other players around him - and most importantly the back 4 - probably don't have a single ounce of confidence in him or his ability, which probably contributes a large amount to our defensive frailties of late! The same could probably be said for Pope, deserved or not.

Considering that just a couple of months ago the lad couldn't even get on the bench at Oldham, the players (and the fans to an extent) are probably looking around and wondering what exactly it is he is doing in the starting XI at a Championship club.

Now, obviously on the other hand a lot of you on here have rightly said that Dmitrovic hasn't exactly had an array of game time in the Hungarian league, so chances are (and rightly so) the fans will be sceptical about him until we actually get a look at him.

As the Ujpest fan on here stated, maybe there are other reasons behind why he hasn't been getting game time. We all know that sometimes clubs hold on to "legends" far too long as they don't want to upset the fans but at the demise of a more talented player.

Roberts seems keen on him, so let's give the lad a chance before we crucify him. None of us have seen him play and so we cannot judge his ability at all, those writing him off already is absolutely ludicrous!

Put it this way:

If without knowing anything about them, we were offered the option of either Olham's 3rd choice keeper or the Serbian U21 keeper, who exactly would you choose?

For some light reading, why don't some of you check out the report from Serbia U21's defeat of Spain, you'll find that our boy gets a very good write up!

http://www.uefa.com/under21/season=2015/matches/round=2000413/match=2015242/postmatch/report/index.html

Agree as a whole, but your comment;

'If without knowing anything about them, we were offered the option of either Olham's 3rd choice keeper or the Serbian U21 keeper, who exactly would you choose?'

Could also be rephrased, 'If without knowing anything about them, we were offered the option of either Ujpest's 2nd choice keeper or the Philippines National Team keeper' ..

But good post - and we should of course have faith in Ben Roberts, but his job is to have confidence in our keepers, as he did with Nick Pope and co (Thuram) who didn't make the cut (for CAFC). I'm sure it's more these keepers are being pushed onto him rather than him pushing for them, knowing Ben I'd have no doubt he'd prefer other talent to someone warming the bench at Ujpest, whether there's a club legend or not keeping him out.
  • "Could also be rephrased, 'If without knowing anything about them, we were offered the option of either Ujpest's 2nd choice keeper or the Philippines National Team keeper' .."

Being the Filipino #1 is hardly the biggest accomplishment going now is it? At least being #1 for the Serbian U21's carries an amount of prestige with it.

During qualification, Mitrovic has been up against the likes of our very own Igor Vetokele, Batshuayi, Origi, Belotti, Munain, Morata, Isco, Sergi Roberto, Deolufeu, El Haddadi etc. etc.

Etheridge last appeared for the Philippines in the AFC Championship, where they played the likes of Palestine, Maldives and Afghanistan, losing to Palestine in the Final.

As most people have stated) I don't see Etheridge as a long term prospect for us at all, I highly doubt he will be here beyond the season, whereas here we have a 22 year old, who seems to have genuine pedigree and has been playing at a much higher level for his country (he actually has 12 U21 caps for those who went straight to Wikipedia) but we're all so quick to write him off because he is 1. from the network and 2. he has been stuck on the bench all season, when even the guy who supports Ujpest has said isn't necessarily his fault.

He could turn up here and be absolutely awful, or (as I suspect/hope) he may genuinely have a bit about him and be a much better keeper than Etheridge.

As someone mentioned before, if we hadn't signed this guy from the network, we'd all be raving about our new Serbian U21 keeper! Sadly, that's the fickle and frustrating nature of a football "fan"