Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

charlton v Blackburn - post match views

Comments

• Fanny highlights here that the statements we are getting, in the absence of verbals as it were, are actually only the actions.
    Pitch, seats, players, appointments, prices and so on, and of course in the absence of a statement of intent, the hardest and fastest evidence of anything are performances, results, league placing's and progress in cups.
    The evidence seems to be that things are going a bit sour with not much to aspire to, and schlepping to the valley for the football is becoming less and less attractive to more and more of our regular support.
    It is almost a philosophical question, but if the powers that be at the club ask themselves (and indeed us) why fans should bother engaging, then the answers might help sharpen the focus as to what needs to be done generally.
    I am aware that we could get into an asking for the moon scenario, but if the story is to be hard finances to make a sentient Charlton break even for instance, then tell us. I can live with that, and would at least have an idea as to where we are heading, maybe others would lose interest I don't know.
    At the moment we are in a really dreary drip drip deterioration situation, and that is damaging all round.
  • Anyone know why there seemed exaggerated celebrations from Blackburn after their two goals ??
    Just seemed a bit over the top for FA Cup goals against the mighty Addicks !!

Time wasting?
    and perhaps they really wanted to win and progress in the cup?
  • You don't like drip drip @seth plum‌?

Next Saturday we might see a thunderstorm or perhaps some sunshine?
  • I have a confession to make. A couple of weeks ago, I checked Charlton's odds for relegation and Betfair offered 20-1. I was about to put £100 on but a feeling of guilt stopped me. We are now 10-1 on Betfair having drawn with Cardiff, lost at Ipswich and lost in a game that doesn't affect relegation. The bookies are no fools.

I had qualms about the much lauded TBH and Bikey combination at the back, but in the early season the facts proved me wrong - the goals against column was first class. My concern was based on the fact that I didn't expect them to be fit for the season and they would be red carded a couple of times. I've been proved wrong on that, but something doesn't seem right at the back now. Bikey seems to be more exposed, arguably due to the problems at full back. Goals are being conceded regularly and, in a team that is certain to score few, this is bad news.

My biggest worry is that if the defence continues to leak 1 or 2 at home and 2 or 3 away, we will be in trouble. The team was built on solid defence at the start of the season with Vetokele looking lively up front. The alternative in this division seems to be having a team that works hard, is compact, physical, has few weaknesses and can nick a goal or two. In other words, nothing special, but enough. I worry that with the lack of depth in the squad, we are going to struggle as injuries, suspensions and players losing form start to bite. I hope I am wrong. A win next win is going to be important, particularly as I don't like the look of the next three away games at Wolves, Watford and Boro.

Seems as though you're saying that our current team falls between the 2 stools for success in the Championship and I have to agree that this is the case.

The question is, which area will RD agree to strengthen during January, if either.

I posted yesterday that I believed the time was ripe for a statement of intent from our owner.

I stand by that and also my request that Katrien & Bob, who are ever present at matches, impress on RD the need to strengthen in light of the worrying recent results. Airman replied that he felt Katrien is only a mouthpiece for her boss and that she has no/little influence over who comes in or goes out ( Hopefully I haven't misquoted AB or I'll be for it !)

If that's the case, what role does Karel Freye have in this and, bearing in mind he was at a recent game, would his views have any effect on RD's decisions ? Surely SOMEONE has to present a strong case on behalf of our manager and, although our views may be completely disregarded, our supporters ?

We have a Fans' Forum meeting on Thursday 15th January and I have requested that the matter of the annual VIP meeting with manager/owner/CEO be put on the agenda. This has taken place in the New Year for the past 4 seasons that the scheme has run and I believe this may be our best opportunity for questions to be asked....whether they are answered satisfactorily, is another matter but we can only hope. I'd like to think that Roland himself would grace us with his presence, especially if a new VIP scheme is in the pipeline but that remains to be seen. I'll definitely be highlighting this request at said meeting.

Thoughts, anyone ?

I am not sure why anyone should expect Katrien's views on football to be of any more value than yours or mine, Fanny. It's very odd the way people assume that people have insight because they are put in positions of (apparent) authority - or indeed because they find themselves writing about football for a living!

I'm sure she's a good lawyer and an intelligent person, but there's no reason to suppose she brings anything else to the table.

Much the same is true of Roland, of course. I think his lack of interest in the advice of experienced, professional people in all areas is a problem for the club. We have no senior management and an inexperienced chief executive. Roland's clearly an accomplished man, but not quite as clever as he thinks he is - in my opinion.

• Anyone else notice JJ and Peeters having a very heated exchange as team went off at floodlight failure? Both going full pelt at each other
  • edited January 2015

I have a confession to make. A couple of weeks ago, I checked Charlton's odds for relegation and Betfair offered 20-1. I was about to put £100 on but a feeling of guilt stopped me. We are now 10-1 on Betfair having drawn with Cardiff, lost at Ipswich and lost in a game that doesn't affect relegation. The bookies are no fools.

I had qualms about the much lauded TBH and Bikey combination at the back, but in the early season the facts proved me wrong - the goals against column was first class. My concern was based on the fact that I didn't expect them to be fit for the season and they would be red carded a couple of times. I've been proved wrong on that, but something doesn't seem right at the back now. Bikey seems to be more exposed, arguably due to the problems at full back. Goals are being conceded regularly and, in a team that is certain to score few, this is bad news.

My biggest worry is that if the defence continues to leak 1 or 2 at home and 2 or 3 away, we will be in trouble. The team was built on solid defence at the start of the season with Vetokele looking lively up front. The alternative in this division seems to be having a team that works hard, is compact, physical, has few weaknesses and can nick a goal or two. In other words, nothing special, but enough. I worry that with the lack of depth in the squad, we are going to struggle as injuries, suspensions and players losing form start to bite. I hope I am wrong. A win next win is going to be important, particularly as I don't like the look of the next three away games at Wolves, Watford and Boro.

Seems as though you're saying that our current team falls between the 2 stools for success in the Championship and I have to agree that this is the case.

The question is, which area will RD agree to strengthen during January, if either.

I posted yesterday that I believed the time was ripe for a statement of intent from our owner.

I stand by that and also my request that Katrien & Bob, who are ever present at matches, impress on RD the need to strengthen in light of the worrying recent results. Airman replied that he felt Katrien is only a mouthpiece for her boss and that she has no/little influence over who comes in or goes out ( Hopefully I haven't misquoted AB or I'll be for it !)

If that's the case, what role does Karel Freye have in this and, bearing in mind he was at a recent game, would his views have any effect on RD's decisions ? Surely SOMEONE has to present a strong case on behalf of our manager and, although our views may be completely disregarded, our supporters ?

We have a Fans' Forum meeting on Thursday 15th January and I have requested that the matter of the annual VIP meeting with manager/owner/CEO be put on the agenda. This has taken place in the New Year for the past 4 seasons that the scheme has run and I believe this may be our best opportunity for questions to be asked....whether they are answered satisfactorily, is another matter but we can only hope. I'd like to think that Roland himself would grace us with his presence, especially if a new VIP scheme is in the pipeline but that remains to be seen. I'll definitely be highlighting this request at said meeting.

Thoughts, anyone ?

I am not sure why anyone should expect Katrien's views on football to be of any more value than yours or mine, Fanny. It's very odd the way people assume that people have insight because they are put in positions of (apparent) authority - or indeed because they find themselves writing about football for a living!

I'm sure she's a good lawyer and an intelligent person, but there's no reason to suppose she brings anything else to the table.

Much the same is true of Roland, of course. I think his lack of interest in the advice of experienced, professional people in all areas is a problem for the club. We have no senior management and an inexperienced chief executive. Roland's clearly an accomplished man, but not quite as clever as he thinks he is - in my opinion.

Clearly Katrien is an employee of RDs so will not be coming out with public statements against him or his policies. If nothing else here legal status as a director prevents that.

That doesn't make her just a mouthpiece IMHO.

In any organisation I have worked in or with leaders of departments/teams/cost centres etc have, if they are any good, fought for their section of the bigger organisation to get the right resources at the right time.

They don't always get what they want or even what they need but that is part of their role.

I believe KM is trying to get the most out of RD that she can. She has spoken before about being competitive and trying to make Charlton the best and most successful part of the network. Which personally is just what I want our CEO to be doing.

How good she is at that is hard to say, especially standing on the outside. And especially not knowing how much RD is willing to give.

We can see the pitch and general stadium improvements and there are the planned Sparrows Lane developments due to be completed on 5th December 2016 (someone involved has a sense of history at least).

Against that some will argue that on the playing side the resources obtained under KM's stewardship have been inadequate.

KM has no more knowledge of football that the majority of we fans as you correctly say. So she quite rightly relies on Bob Peeters and to an unknown extent on Karel Fraeye (who remains the elephant in the room IMO) to scout and acquire players. She couldn't for example say "Polish Pete is going to be a dud" or "Igor will be great"" so has to rely on the football people to make those judgements.

I do agree that she is a relatively inexperienced business manager who has too few long serving, experienced, senior managers to support her. But from what I hear she can spot those that aren't up to it fairly quickly hence the rapid departure of people such as Steve Bradshaw.

A clearer "statement of intent" or a clear narrative of what we are planning to do and how we plan to get there, warts and all, would be welcome.

I think the club missed a trick in the summer of not engaging with fans enough about what was happening and what was planned.

The slightly hesitant programme article on the new build at New Eltham (never posted on the OS) was more of the same. This is great news, positive, forward thinking news, long term development news yet we seem to want to only whisper about it. Why?

As for the VIP meeting as suspect the new catering deal is making that one difficult. CAFC would have to pay DNS to use a lounge at considerable cost. Charlton House anyone?
    I doubt if Karel Fraeye's feedback to RD is channelled through Katrien Meire and I'd be surprised if she is even in that loop. That was rather my point to Fanny - she isn't an expert (any more than previous CEOs were) so she is in no position to challenge RD on anything relating to the football. Indeed, at the risk of contradicting myself, it appears she may have warned him off selling Yann Kermorgant. But if so, he simply ignored her.

You'd have had to be exceptionally inept not to realise Bradshaw needed to leave if you were in touch with what was happening down there, never mind in charge of it.

• It sounded better on the radio. Where did all the enjoyment go?

Each to there own........ but not according to the BBC commentators, especially Morts.......
    And with 'Emma' doing the coverage...... I think I would prefer a trip to the dentist!
  • colin1961 said:

First half was pretty even ... We got back level but then a poor ref decision sending Buyons off for a tackle that was not even a foul ... Once that happened if was over ... We learnt a lot today about our squad Wilson, Fox , cousins and Jackson just Re not good enough at this level that might be a little harsh on Cousins but he just can't keep control of the ball basic stuff ... It's time to get a new captain what motivation did Jackson give others today ? Blackburn players were just strolling past him he looked like he was running in quicksand time is up for him ...
    In the end it was a normal cup tie no one really looked like they wanted a draw, lack of atmosphere

We need to bring one of two in this week problem is no Buyons next week as to move Gudmunnson inside but we Are running out of players

Buyens sending off was a foul, he had the ball in a good position, lost it and then lost the plot by making a completely unnecessary foul, you could see Bob wasn't too happy with Buyens further suggesting that it was a foul. Both his yellows were from completely unnecessary challenges
  • Sponsored links:

• I have a confession to make. A couple of weeks ago, I checked Charlton's odds for relegation and Betfair offered 20-1. I was about to put £100 on but a feeling of guilt stopped me. We are now 10-1 on Betfair having drawn with Cardiff, lost at Ipswich and lost in a game that doesn't affect relegation. The bookies are no fools.

Thoughts, anyone ?

Clearly Katrien is an employee of RDs so will not be coming out with public statements against him or his policies. If nothing else here legal status as a director prevents that.

That doesn't make her just a mouthpiece IMHO.

In any organisation I have worked in or with leaders of departments/teams/cost centres etc have, if they are any good, fought for their section of the bigger organisation to get the right resources at the right time.

They don't always get what they want or even what they need but that is part of their role.

I believe KM is trying to get the most out of RD that she can. She has spoken before about being competitive and trying to make Charlton the best and most successful part of the network. Which personally is just what I want our CEO to be doing.

How good she is at that is hard to say, especially standing on the outside. And especially not knowing how much RD is willing to give.

We can see the pitch and general stadium improvements and there are the planned Sparrows Lane developments due to be completed on 5th December 2016 (someone involved has a sense of history at least).

Against that some will argue that on the playing side the resources obtained under KM's stewardship have been inadequate.

KM has no more knowledge of football that the majority of we fans as you correctly say. So she quite rightly relies on Bob Peeters and to an unknown extent on Karel Fraeye (who remains the elephant in the room IMO) to scout and acquire players. She couldn't for example say "Polish Pete is going to be a dud" or "Igor will be great"" so has to rely on the football people to make those judgements.

I do agree that she is a relatively inexperienced business manager who has too few long serving, experienced, senior managers to support her. But from what I hear she can spot those that aren't up to it fairly quickly hence the rapid departure of people such as Steve Bradshaw.

A clearer "statement of intent" or a clear narrative of what we are planning to do and how we plan to get there, warts and all, would be welcome.

I think the club missed a trick in the summer of not engaging with fans enough about what was happening and what was planned.

The slightly hesitant programme article on the new build at New Eltham (never posted on the OS) was more of the same. This is great news, positive, forward thinking news, long term development news yet we seem to want to only whisper about it. Why?

As for the VIP meeting as suspect the new catering deal is making that one difficult. CAFC would have to pay DNS to use a lounge at considerable cost. Charlton House anyone?
    I doubt if Karel Fraeye's feedback to RD is channelled through Katrien Meire and I'd be surprised if she is even in that loop. That was rather my point to Fanny - she isn't an expert (any more than previous CEOs were) so she is in no position to challenge RD on anything relating to the football. Indeed, at the risk of contradicting myself, it appears she may have warned him off selling Yann Kermorgant. But if so, he simply ignored her.

You'd have had to be exceptionally inept not to realise Bradshaw needed to leave if you were in touch with what was happening down there, never mind in charge of it.

But which rather proves my point.

She was fighting the corner for her club. So not just a mouthpiece.

Won't be the first or last time an owner hasn't agreed with their CEO (in football or elsewhere) but owner always has the final say.

Agree about Bradshaw, although there were others who seemed hang on his every word : - )

• edited January 2015

But which rather proves my point.

She was fighting the corner for her club. So not just a mouthpiece.

Won't be the first or last time an owner hasn't agreed with their CEO (in football or elsewhere) but owner always has the final say.

Agree about Bradshaw, although there were others who seemed hang on his every word : - )

Or simply doing her job as his eyes and ears, since she was being told it was a mad thing to do from all directions.

I don't suggest that she isn't doing her best for the club, just that she is exceptionally dependent on RD's patronage, which I think is also just how he wants it.

Thoughts, anyone ?

Last paragraph. Given the strength of feeling over the past 24 hours on this and the ITTV forum, I think a lot of people would love to see Duchatelet be there on the 15th.

Not so sure as he will though, he's a very busy man of course.
  • If Bob's lost the dressing room then he needs to go...

Four managers (head coaches) in 12 months would make us Crystal Palace. We have tried this before - Curbishley-Dowie-Reed-Pardew - and it fails to address the underlying issue of the players not being good enough (although much of that was Dowie's fault).

Peeters may or may not be the medium-term answer, but to blame him for the consequences of running an inadequate squad will get us nowhere.
    Did 24 points from 16 games in any way indicate that the squad was "inadequate"? Given that Riga secured same, that makes him a miracle worker or perhaps last season's squad wasn't as "grossly inadequate" as 24th place indicated last March?

I would venture our players were good enough as we beat Derby and went unbeaten for how many games?! What has happened since is down to a mix of injuries and incessant tinkering. We failed to beat Blackpool and Millwall a month ago and chickens are coming home to roost.

Employing four head coaches in 12 months does not make us Crystal Palace nor any other club. That sounds like a case to retain the head coach no matter how many games we go without a win, no matter how low we sink in the table. Nor is there any parallel with the Dowie/Pardew era, for our squad has improved over the last 12 months and this is obvious to all but the most myopic of supporters.

As others have posted, Peeters needs to be backed or sacked. Next Saturday with Watt, Vetokele and Solly involved it maybe a different story or more of the same... Time will tell.

It's going to be an interesting month.
    You mean like Chris Powell took 25 points from 14 at the end of 2012/13 - or 22 from 11 if you prefer - when he wasn't being systematically undermined by an owner who wanted to dictate who played?

Unfortunately seasons take place over 46 games and what you do over a shorter run of matches, which obviously requires fewer players and allows less opportunity for the opposition to find you out, isn't the point.

Injuries and bad luck always kick in over time. Tinkering arises because there is no solution to the problem within the squad - that's why Peeters is now doing similar sorts of things to Powell last season, with players out of position and multiple changes.

Whether Peeters is a good coach I don't know. Powell did pretty well over his first two full seasons, but then according to some was incompetent last year. More likely it was down to circumstances, so I accord Peeters the same benefit of the doubt.

It was you who told us that we had enough points in the bank to be in play-off contention when the transfer window opened, when signings had been promised, just as you told us last spring the club would be close to breakeven in 2013/14 because of the January transfers and the cup run.

I've no great affection for Peeters, but imagining that sacking him is of itself a solution to an obviously inadequate squad is, well, delusional.
    A most excellent post.
    I hope it is heeded by the more reactionary elements of CL!
  • I am not persuaded that Peeters took this job thinking he would have the opportunity to assemble the sort of not "inadequate" squad he/ we all might like to have. its not as if Powell and Riga before him were given such luxury. Such a squad would be burning even more of RD's money than at present and so far as I can see he has not shown any inclination to do this. And he must be worrying about how reputed investment in Igor is panning out if, as seems likely, he will be thinking of cashing that in in the summer and the dude's form is still on a spiral...
  • was told yesterday Igor is carrying a muscle injury he cant train and it isnt geting better.
  • Gorgeous Lliege came 4th in his race at Plumpton earlier today so even my horse racing tips are having a shocking start to 2015. Ho hum.
  • Actually the only real disappointments were their two goals which were very soft, too easy which ever way you look at it. The result could have gone either way and I thought we had the better of the game and yes I know we lost. Bikey is inspirational if a tad too emotional. We have too many people who are just not consistent enough; Morgan Fox will make a very good defender but he is not quite there; Cousins looked tired; Laurie didn't have a good game, We did a lot that was good and we are not a bad team and Peeters chipper demeanour after the game suggests he knows we are getting some reinforcements soon. Roll on Saturday.

• I posted on another thread. Obviously this changes with Buyens being suspended.

For me part of the problem of how we play stems from the lack of a proper defensive midfielder. We are using buyens in a more holding role but for me he seems to be more of a deeper lying creative playmaker in midfield so I don't think we will see the best of him in this role! Much like with Stephens we didn't see the neat of him until he had cousins playing behind him to free him up. Cousins did this role well for part of last year and the poyet did the same. This would allow buyens to get forward more and the we will be less reliant on Gudmundsson as the only creative spark going forwards.
    Another point about a defensive midfielder is talkative one will allow the fullbacks to bomb forwards more as they know that there is someone to drop in and cover their man if they lose the ball high up the pitch... This is why for much of the season Bob has kept the fullbacks back this has stopped Solly and Wiggins from being as effective as we know they can be.. more recently it has seemed bob has allowed the full backs to get forward however there is no coincidence that with no one to drop in and cover for them we have been weaker defensively conceded more goals and Bikey and Ben Haim have looked less comfortable.
    So how to remedy this? For me a proper defensive midfielder is top of my Jan wish list (after Igors strike partner) but until then I would play cousins in that role. I am aware that he is seen as more of a box to box midfielder now but he has occupied that role well alongside Stephens last year so can do it again.

The trouble is how does this work with the rest of the team

Henderson
    Solly Bikey TBH Wiggins
    Cousins
    Gud Buyens Jackson
    Igor Tucudean

This is assuming we have an injury free squad.. obviously hendo and Wiggins are out at the moment.

This has meant we have had to push Jackson out to the left which I'm not a great fan of. However I think at the moment we need two at the top so it's either that or drop Jackson which as I am a big fan of Jackson I'm not keen on..

For me I'd like to see an out and out holding midfielder ala Poyet come in.

Watt up front as competition for igor. Has potential.

That guy playing in Scotland I think for Dundee as a striker. The hold up player we need and can score goals.

Coquelin coz he is class

And adjarevic as he can be the creative central midfielder but play higher up the pitch. Will be useful as an impact sub can make things happen.

A Centre back

And if wiggins and Henderson are out then a loan lb and Gk for rest of the season.

To me this seems like a good mix of network and non network signings. I'm all for using the network if they are good enough.

I am aware we are unlikely to get all of the above but one can hope eh?
  • Sponsored links:

• I posted on another thread. Obviously this changes with Buyens being suspended.

For me part of the problem of how we play stems from the lack of a proper defensive midfielder. We are using buyens in a more holding role but for me he seems to be more of a deeper lying creative playmaker in midfield so I don't think we will see the best of him in this role! Much like with Stephens we didn't see the neat of him until he had cousins playing behind him to free him up. Cousins did this role well for part of last year and the poyet did the same. This would allow buyens to get forward more and the we will be less reliant on Gudmundsson as the only creative spark going forwards.
    Another point about a defensive midfielder is talkative one will allow the fullbacks to bomb forwards more as they know that there is someone to drop in and cover their man if they lose the ball high up the pitch... This is why for much of the season Bob has kept the fullbacks back this has stopped Solly and Wiggins from being as effective as we know they can be.. more recently it has seemed bob has allowed the full backs to get forward however there is no coincidence that with no one to drop in and cover for them we have been weaker defensively conceded more goals and Bikey and Ben Haim have looked less comfortable.
    So how to remedy this? For me a proper defensive midfielder is top of my Jan wish list (after Igors strike partner) but until then I would play cousins in that role. I am aware that he is seen as more of a box to box midfielder now but he has occupied that role well alongside Stephens last year so can do it again.

The trouble is how does this work with the rest of the team

Henderson
    Solly Bikey TBH Wiggins
    Cousins
    Gud Buyens Jackson
    Igor Tucudean

This is assuming we have an injury free squad.. obviously hendo and Wiggins are out at the moment.

This has meant we have had to push Jackson out to the left which I'm not a great fan of. However I think at the moment we need two at the top so it's either that or drop Jackson which as I am a big fan of Jackson I'm not keen on..

For me I'd like to see an out and out holding midfielder ala Poyet come in.

Watt up front as competition for igor. Has potential.

That guy playing in Scotland I think for Dundee as a striker. The hold up player we need and can score goals.

Coquelin coz he is class

And adjarevic as he can be the creative central midfielder but play higher up the pitch. Will be useful as an impact sub can make things happen.

A Centre back

And if wiggins and Henderson are out then a loan lb and Gk for rest of the season.

To me this seems like a good mix of network and non network signings. I'm all for using the network if they are good enough.

I am aware we are unlikely to get all of the above but one can hope eh?

I will be surprised if we buy anybody, most likely will be more network misfits like Watt and the goalie from Ujpest. Good luck Bob you are going to need it.

Peeters may or may not be the medium-term
    As others have posted, Peeters needs to be backed or sacked. Next Saturday with Watt, Vetokele and Solly involved it maybe a different story or more of the same... Time will tell.

Watt's not going to be fit is he?

Thoughts, anyone ?

You arrange the meeting and I'll ask the questions :-)
  • edited January 2015

If Bob's lost the dressing room then he needs to go...

Four managers (head coaches) in 12 months would make us Crystal Palace. We have tried this before - Curbishley-Dowie-Reed-Pardew - and it fails to address the underlying issue of the players not being good enough (although much of that was Dowie's fault).

Peeters may or may not be the medium-term answer, but to blame him for the consequences of running an inadequate squad will get us nowhere.
    Did 24 points from 16 games in any way indicate that the squad was "inadequate"? Given that Riga secured same, that makes him a miracle worker or perhaps last season's squad wasn't as "grossly inadequate" as 24th place indicated last March?

I would venture our players were good enough as we beat Derby and went unbeaten for how many games?! What has happened since is down to a mix of injuries and incessant tinkering. We failed to beat Blackpool and Millwall a month ago and chickens are coming home to roost.

Employing four head coaches in 12 months does not make us Crystal Palace nor any other club. That sounds like a case to retain the head coach no matter how many games we go without a win, no matter how low we sink in the table. Nor is there any parallel with the Dowie/Pardew era, for our squad has improved over the last 12 months and this is obvious to all but the most myopic of supporters.

Pretty much everyone could see the squad was inadequate bar yourself and yes Riga was a miracle worker.
    The 1st 11 are good enough, but the season lasts 46 games and 8 good players and 3 decent is not sufficient, topped up with U21's & not good enoughs. We were always going to get injuries, people run around kicking each other !

Pretty much everyone could see the squad was inadequate bar yourself and yes Riga was a miracle worker.
    The 1st 11 are good enough, but the season lasts 46 games and 8 good players and 3 decent is not enough, topped up with U21's & not good enoughs. We were always going to get injuries, people run around kicking each other !
    Even the first 11 has only one decent half fit striker.That has been a weakness from the start.
  • Southbank said:

If Bob's lost the dressing room then he needs to go...

The 1st 11 are good enough, but the season lasts 46 games and 8 good players and 3 decent is not enough, topped up with U21's & not good enoughs. We were always going to get injuries, people run around kicking each other !
    Even the first 11 has only one decent half fit striker.That has been a weakness from the start.
    Agreed 100%.
  • edited January 2015

I have a confession to make. A couple of weeks ago, I checked Charlton's odds for relegation and Betfair offered 20-1. I was about to put £100 on but a feeling of guilt stopped me. We are now 10-1 on Betfair having drawn with Cardiff, lost at Ipswich and lost in a game that doesn't affect relegation. The bookies are no fools.

Thoughts, anyone ?

You arrange the meeting and I'll ask the questions :-)
    Craig Parrett is the FF member who represents the VIPs. Since my post, this morning I received the agenda for said meeting on 15th, and am given to understand that he had pre-empted my request to add this item. So, it will be discussed.

Whether/when/where it takes place will hopefully be clarified then and once the minutes are agreed by Katrien, the result will be common knowledge and all VIP members will be emailed by Craig.

But I believe that ALL members present on that evening will agree that RD's presence at the annual meeting would be more than welcome.

Elfsborg- Just to clarify, the FF meeting is on 15th January and no date has been set as yet for the aforementioned VIP gathering.

• edited January 2015
    Vff seems to be the only person who realised that Buyens had already been booked,
    no one near me did. Must of done a late tackle when the light went out.

The game after Yoni saw red and we couldn't get the ball was very similar to a game at the valley maybe 2
    seasons ago when Yann was sent off and Forrest played the ball around us for the rest of the game.

The thin veneer of having a championship squad is being shown up since injuries to Henderson,wiggins, and
    Igor having problems which appear to affect his movement. Plus Coq going back to Arsenal and solly missing
    midweek games.

I know i have a habit of saying how many points we are ahead of the 22nd team(8)
    but the Brighton game allready feels like a six pointer. Why?

• edited January 2015
    From the Supporters Trust perspective we would welcome this kind of meeting and have from the outset been actively encouraging the new ownership to do more on this - though I am not sure why it should be just for the VIPs (although I do understand the technical point, not sure he attended last time?)

I wrote a fairly clinical piece on the transfer window for the Trust website called Peeters progress last week I attempted to describe the progress so far and what might be done next.

Unfortunately for many of us fans football is about far more than that, and I totally understand and share the frustration of other fans. Of course the transfer window may still tell us all we need to know.

From a personal point of view I have to admit with the opposition, the weather, the injuries but most importantly the thinness of squad this year it meant that i had very little inclination to attend the Cup match, nor indeed the Boxing day game. Something that just wouldn't have happened before now. We are part of an experiment and the fans have not been taken along on the journey.