Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

charlton v Blackburn - post match views

Comments

• Powel bought my Charlton back. Riga gave it renewed vigour when it was creaking. BP has lost it today. Garbage. I hope never to see that pansy Buyens in a CAFC shirt again. Darren Ambrose would win tackles against this prat.

Jackson is sadly past it, Cousins is not a winger, Bikey is fatter than me and sticking him upfront was, frankly, embarrassing for everyone. TBH could not have given a shit about today and Wilson isn't even a quarter of the player from last season.

Things still need changing and quick.

Can't disagree with any of that.
  • At least if we had drawn Dover or Blyth Spartans rather than Blackburn, we could've made some money at the bookies!!!
  • Look on the bright side though....at least you didn't have to play Man City.

I'd have loved a trip to the Etihad, and as long as we only let in 6, we'd be doing better than Wednesday!
  • edited January 2015
    BP says that after the 2nd goal, "that cut our legs".
    Why didn't anybody tell the ref Blackburn were playing with Stanley knives down their socks?
    Wtf?
  • boggzy said:

At least if we had drawn Dover or Blyth Spartans rather than Blackburn, we could've made some money at the bookies!!!

Why do you think the lights went out!
  • colin1961 said:

First half was pretty even ... We got back level but then a poor ref decision sending Buyons off for a tackle that was not even a foul ... Once that happened if was over ... We learnt a lot today about our squad Wilson, Fox , cousins and Jackson just Re not good enough at this level that might be a little harsh on Cousins but he just can't keep control of the ball basic stuff ... It's time to get a new captain what motivation did Jackson give others today ? Blackburn players were just strolling past him he looked like he was running in quicksand time is up for him ...
    In the end it was a normal cup tie no one really looked like they wanted a draw, lack of atmosphere

We need to bring one of two in this week problem is no Buyons next week as to move Gudmunnson inside but we Are running out of players

Buyens seemed to get frustrated at how much the Blackburn midfield were running rings around the Charlton midfield. The sending was totally his fault and there can be no real complaints about the decision.

Buyens jumped in on a Blackburn player running down on the right of the box for the first booking. There was a covering player and the Blackburn was going in the direction of the corner flag. The challenge was unnecessary and clumsy. It was definitely a foul. It also gave away a free kick in a dangerous position.

The second booking was from an equally unnecessary clumsy challenge. This challenge was doubly idiotic, particularly as he was on a booking. The sending off was ridiculous and totally Buyens fault. If the Charlton crowd in the North Stand been closer and seen how stupid those challenges were, they would not have applauded him off the pitch.

The sending off was not really a turning point, as Blackburn were a class above Charlton. It just meant that that victory was even more comfortable for them. It was a 2-1 hammering.
  • It was quite clear from the first 5 minutes - that the instructions to the players were not to over exert themselves. BP didn't look too pleased with Buyens.

Perhaps the club in order to try and stop the farce of our cup games in the earlier rounds and to apologise for our cup efforts at the Valley in recent years might offer free tickets to season ticket holders for the first two rounds of each cup in future years - the atmosphere today was pretty dire.
  • Blackburn played in 2nd gear all afternoon until we equalised and then went up to 3rd gear for 4 minutes to get the winner. I left at 4.45 as a warm car was so much more desirable than the remainder of that dross. Unlike me to leave early AND to be so negative about the whole set up. If Bob is off, then maybe that's the only way things are going to turn around down there. Hard to see a way out of this at the moment. Thin squad, tight owner with a philosophy that 'kids' are our future, and a fading atmosphere at the Valley is far from encouraging.
  • Sponsored links:

• ....oh, and let's remember that Blackburn played their reserve strike force too. Terrific!
  • from the club website

"Saturday’s temporary floodlight outage at The Valley was caused by a high voltage peak at one of the club’s local power stations, it has been confirmed
    Read more at http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/club-statement-on-temporary-floodlight-outage-2180230.aspx#giRLOk61OpOhGcoX.99"

Anyone remember the Govt promising that there wouldn't be power cuts this winter because of the lack of expenditure on the energy infrastructure - they lied, and at least we now have the evidence.
  • First use of the spray thing. Hopefully the can is now in the museum.

The spray was good. It made sure that the wall was actually 10 yards away. It gave Gudmundsson the space to tee up and fire in a lovely free kick. This was the best moment of the game. I would really like to see the use of the spray in all championship games as well.
  • meldrew66 said:

....oh, and let's remember that Blackburn played their reserve strike force too. Terrific!

And then took the piss by keeping Rhodes and Gustede on the bench and sending on Luke Varney instead!
  • Apologies for introducing politics - but at least that is more interesting than today's game. If cup games get any worse even the hell that is Bluewater might get a certain allure.
  • They were gutted when Buyens was sent off, he was passing to them all afternoon.
  • Doff my cap at every one of you that made the effort to go today. Once again it seems you got very poor value for money even at reduced prices.
  • Well our cup fortune continues after the ball deflated in consecutive Charlton cup finals the club in celebration now deflates the fans every frigging cup game
  • sm said:

It was quite clear from the first 5 minutes - that the instructions to the players were not to over exert themselves. BP didn't look too pleased with Buyens.

Perhaps the club in order to try and stop the farce of our cup games in the earlier rounds and to apologise for our cup efforts at the Valley in recent years might offer free tickets to season ticket holders for the first two rounds of each cup in future years - the atmosphere today was pretty dire.

What's this? There's another game after the first round!? How do we get to that? :---)
  • Sponsored links:

• Cheer up. Zulu is on......Red Army, Red Army....
  • vinnie said:

I know that we've been on a poor run of form recently but surely some good support today could maybe have lifted the team a bit and helped us get something from the game? I've never heard so little noise from our fans

Oh here we go, that old "its the fans fault" chestnut.

Do you really think 500 people clapping along to "Cafc, Cafc" would have made Morgan Fox bother to jump and challenge Taylor for the first goal? Or stopped buyens jumping into a stupid tackle when he's already been booked? Or made Cousins stop giving the ball away?

I give up.

maybe not but support during the game is going to prove more productive than hurling abuse at our weaker players, wrecking their confidence.

• It sounded poor, I'm very concerned, I reckon second half of season will be really tough. RD has to bring in some new players and not just this Tony Watt guy up front, we need a creative midfielder and another CB at least, and some players who can change a game from the bench, all kids on the bench today with Pope the oldest at 22. Time for BP to demand some help with players joining or we will be staring over our shoulder to ensure we don't get dragged into relegation battle.......just 1 win in 11 games is relegation form I'm afraid.

Hoping to be able to be back to match thread within 2 weeks if my health continues to improve.

Thank goodness for that
  • 1StevieG said:

Just want to mention the lead up to their goal came from the bounce up after Ref stopped play for Church's injury. Etheridge, instead of rolling it sideways for a throw forcing Blackburn to throw ball back tries to kick it into touch on the halfway line and mucks it up. From the resulting bounce up they attack and score. Little mistakes like this are costing us games.

to a certain extent you are right but the real reason was poor defending. When the ball went in the back of the net Bikey was still closer to the half way line than the penalty area. That makes him out of position for when the bounce up was taken let alone when it went in. What was doing? I really hope we get a CH in. This guy gets worse every week. He started the season reasonably well but is now a total liability,

• vffvff
    edited January 2015
    It was a League One level team against a Championship level team today. Blackburn have a Championship level squad and Charlton have a League One squad. The squad RD has left Peeters to work with was never going to be good enough.

Blackburn were a class above Charlton. There was much better passing and movement. Better individual quality. They looked as though they could step it up whenever needed.

Katrien Miere (and Bob Peeters) should be impressing on Roland Duchatelet that if he does not invest in the squad and the team that there is a big risk of relegation. I am struggling to see where the next win is coming from. The transfer of Tony Watt alone is not going to solve the deep seated problems with lack of quality in depth at the club. This had better be a good January transfer window. RD should make no mistake that he cannot take Charlton's championship status for granted.
  • boggzy said:

At least if we had drawn Dover or Blyth Spartans rather than Blackburn, we could've made some money at the bookies!!!

This is the positive btw. We weren't an upset. Thank God we didn't have a Blyth or a Gateshead. We were ripe for an upset in our form
  • edited January 2015

P*ssed off without reading.

Several words come into my mind as I try very hard to find some optimism after that performance.

Lightweight, casual and careless will do for starters.

After being at Ewood just before Christmas, I'd say we learnt little from the defeat up there.

I know we are thin on the ground as far as players with Championship experience is concerned but today was unacceptable IMO.

We failed to close them down early, let them TOTALLY bully us off the ball time after time( even when it seemed we had it under control ) and gave it away far too often. There seemed very little spirit or fight today which, although we should be used to this in the Cup, was disappointing and worrying in the extreme.

I can accept that our Cup run has ended before it even started - and am so glad that this wasn't a league game.

What worries me more is the loss of another midfielder for the Brighton game and the lack of options from the bench....Surely RD can't expect to win games with such a threadbare, inexperienced squad !

The addition of Tony Watt would be welcome but would go nowhere near to solving our numerous problems. Bob and Katrien need to spell this out in no uncertain terms when they speak with the owner, otherwise, stepping on my rose tinted specs, I can see another relegation fight ahead.

Positives to take ? I was pleased to see Churchy back in the team and felt he did OK, albeit not match fit yet. Another great strike from Guddy. And Ben Haim hardly put a foot wrong but I would struggle to nominate a MOM. Bob played what cards he had at his disposal to give him credit and at times I forgot we were down to 10 men again. But sadly, this is not enough.

We all know that Brighton in 7 days' time is HUGE. The faithful need to be sent a strong message leading up to this match, ideally directly from RD. An honest, no holds barred statement is needed to put us in the picture as to his plans for our Club this season. Forget about 2015-16 at this moment in time. It's the immediate future that needs addressing at the opening of this important window of opportunity. Should we expect the cavalry or the bin collectors ? Does Bob know what's in the pipeline or is he as far in the dark as we are ? Too many questions with not enough answers....

I'm not a happy Fanny tonight but it's not the first time and it won't be the last, I'm sure. I'll be back next Saturday and have my ticket for Watford a week later. But how many others, less addickted folk will say enough's enough and vote with their feet.

We need a sign, Roland.

Even if it says " Closed "

Why do so many people do this 'posting without reading' nonsense? Who cares? Read what everyone else has written, have a bit of respect!!
  • That was a dire performance today, only Gud. TBH & Etheridge came out of the game with any credit. I am a huge admirer of Jacko but too often lately the game seems to pass him by. We couldn't even respond to the great support from A block.
  • BP says that after the 2nd goal, "that cut our legs".
    Why didn't anybody tell the ref Blackburn were playing with Stanley knives down their socks?
    Wtf?

Think this is what Bob means
  • Entertainment value was zero.

People are going to stop coming.