Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

charlton v Blackburn - post match views

Comments

• PaddyP17 said:

P*ssed off without reading.

Several words come into my mind as I try very hard to find some optimism after that performance.

Lightweight, casual and careless will do for starters.

After being at Ewood just before Christmas, I'd say we learnt little from the defeat up there.

I know we are thin on the ground as far as players with Championship experience is concerned but today was unacceptable IMO.

We failed to close them down early, let them TOTALLY bully us off the ball time after time( even when it seemed we had it under control ) and gave it away far too often. There seemed very little spirit or fight today which, although we should be used to this in the Cup, was disappointing and worrying in the extreme.

I can accept that our Cup run has ended before it even started - and am so glad that this wasn't a league game.

What worries me more is the loss of another midfielder for the Brighton game and the lack of options from the bench....Surely RD can't expect to win games with such a threadbare, inexperienced squad !

The addition of Tony Watt would be welcome but would go nowhere near to solving our numerous problems. Bob and Katrien need to spell this out in no uncertain terms when they speak with the owner, otherwise, stepping on my rose tinted specs, I can see another relegation fight ahead.

Positives to take ? I was pleased to see Churchy back in the team and felt he did OK, albeit not match fit yet. Another great strike from Guddy. And Ben Haim hardly put a foot wrong but I would struggle to nominate a MOM. Bob played what cards he had at his disposal to give him credit and at times I forgot we were down to 10 men again. But sadly, this is not enough.

We all know that Brighton in 7 days' time is HUGE. The faithful need to be sent a strong message leading up to this match, ideally directly from RD. An honest, no holds barred statement is needed to put us in the picture as to his plans for our Club this season. Forget about 2015-16 at this moment in time. It's the immediate future that needs addressing at the opening of this important window of opportunity. Should we expect the cavalry or the bin collectors ? Does Bob know what's in the pipeline or is he as far in the dark as we are ? Too many questions with not enough answers....

I'm not a happy Fanny tonight but it's not the first time and it won't be the last, I'm sure. I'll be back next Saturday and have my ticket for Watford a week later. But how many others, less addickted folk will say enough's enough and vote with their feet.

We need a sign, Roland.

Even if it says " Closed "

Why do so many people do this 'posting without reading' nonsense? Who cares? Read what everyone else has written, have a bit of respect!!
    It's not nonsense. People choose to post without reading because they don't want their own views to be coloured by those of anyone who has got to the match thread before them.

I happen to write my views, then read the others. I'm pretty sure everyone who "posts without reading" does the same. At any rate, I think telling Fanny, probably one of the most respected/liked contributors to CL and CAFC in general, to "have a bit of respect" is ludicrous.
    I know someone who won't be getting a Christmas card from Fanny next year :)

• I don't think we are going to go down. I honestly don't even think that even the squad exactly as it stands today would go down, I imagine there will be two or three signings in and out and not much more, and that while we will end up towards the 17h-18th places by the end of the season we aren't likely to be in genuine danger of relegation... BUT this is not due to the inherent quality of our own squad, or the abilities of our manager, but because it seems highly improbable to me that every single team now between us and relegation will all miraculously produce form better than our own from here to season's end, as would be needed for us to go down. One or two hitting form, yes, all of them, no. And there are teams above us who may end up in a sticky patch like our current one and head down beside us.

For a long time we had good results, good performances and a good form. Now we have hit bad performances, bad results, bad form, but there is no reason why this should be any more permanent than our good form was. The current slide will stop (maybe under Bob, maybe not, but RD won't let his investment be wasted) and we'll stabilise, of that I am convinced.

To misquote a wise old lady: "Form is like a one night stand.... it comes, and goes."
  • edited January 2015
    The thing is, Roland doesn't lack money.

He won't want to spend it but if push comes to shove with regards to relegation, he won't let his investment deteoriate into the third tier.
  • Bob Peeters on the BBC website:

"If you see the players that Blackburn had on the bench, they're a strong team, but hopefully we will recover five or six players for the game against Brighton and that will make a difference."

Five or six? Interesting. I would think that includes Solly and Igor, but the other three or four? Wiggy? Hendo? Onyewu?
  • wow how bad was that ? even tho most of us were expecting it !
    ---they were disinterested--as was the manager--as were the fans --where was everyone ?
    ---what the feck formation were we playing? did anyone know ?
    ---2 v 1 dont make me laugh could have bee 7 v 1
    ---Why tale Godmensen off when he is our best player /
    ---as for Buyens sending off the way Rovers bench jumped up u would have thought Buyens had cut the guys head off---total con.
    ---sorry Bob u was totally fecking clueless.

all in all a very typical CAFC cup game.
  • Sponsored links:

• DRAddick said:

P*ssed off without reading.

Several words come into my mind as I try very hard to find some optimism after that performance.

Lightweight, casual and careless will do for starters.

After being at Ewood just before Christmas, I'd say we learnt little from the defeat up there.

I know we are thin on the ground as far as players with Championship experience is concerned but today was unacceptable IMO.

We failed to close them down early, let them TOTALLY bully us off the ball time after time( even when it seemed we had it under control ) and gave it away far too often. There seemed very little spirit or fight today which, although we should be used to this in the Cup, was disappointing and worrying in the extreme.

I can accept that our Cup run has ended before it even started - and am so glad that this wasn't a league game.

What worries me more is the loss of another midfielder for the Brighton game and the lack of options from the bench....Surely RD can't expect to win games with such a threadbare, inexperienced squad !

The addition of Tony Watt would be welcome but would go nowhere near to solving our numerous problems. Bob and Katrien need to spell this out in no uncertain terms when they speak with the owner, otherwise, stepping on my rose tinted specs, I can see another relegation fight ahead.

Positives to take ? I was pleased to see Churchy back in the team and felt he did OK, albeit not match fit yet. Another great strike from Guddy. And Ben Haim hardly put a foot wrong but I would struggle to nominate a MOM. Bob played what cards he had at his disposal to give him credit and at times I forgot we were down to 10 men again. But sadly, this is not enough.

We all know that Brighton in 7 days' time is HUGE. The faithful need to be sent a strong message leading up to this match, ideally directly from RD. An honest, no holds barred statement is needed to put us in the picture as to his plans for our Club this season. Forget about 2015-16 at this moment in time. It's the immediate future that needs addressing at the opening of this important window of opportunity. Should we expect the cavalry or the bin collectors ? Does Bob know what's in the pipeline or is he as far in the dark as we are ? Too many questions with not enough answers....

I'm not a happy Fanny tonight but it's not the first time and it won't be the last, I'm sure. I'll be back next Saturday and have my ticket for Watford a week later. But how many others, less addickted folk will say enough's enough and vote with their feet.

We need a sign, Roland.

Even if it says " Closed "

Why do so many people do this 'posting without reading' nonsense? Who cares? Read what everyone else has written, have a bit of respect!!

It's the ones that post without thinking that I find annoying.
    Dry your eyes mate.

• If there is not a significant and effective reaction against Brighton, on Monday week BP will come in to find his stuff packed up and waiting outside Reception. There is very little margin for error in the Championship and no room at all for sentiment. I'm afraid Bob is on borrowed time. As the end of today's game approached he seemed to have given up.

• If there is not a significant and effective reaction against Brighton, on Monday week BP will come in to find his stuff packed up and waiting outside Reception. There is very little margin for error in the Championship and no room at all for sentiment. I'm afraid Bob is on borrowed time. As the end of today's game approached he seemed to have given up.

Let's see what happens in the window first I reckon.
  • edited January 2015
    I'm glad I went today as it was my only chance whilst I'm over on holidays.

I caught up with a Blackburn lass in the royal oak pre game that I met at the ashes 4 years ago in Perth which was lovely and whilst talking to her about her time there a fella standing next to us overheard and it turned out he was an Aussie from Perth who had lived 2 streets away from one of the houses I'd rented!! On top of that we discovered that other Aussie fella with him is working with a mate of mine in the city!
    It's a Small world!
    And to top it off I bumped into @Fanny Fanackapan‌ walking to the ground, it was a pleasure to see you again Jean!

That's the only pleasing part of the day unfortunately.

I can't add anything regarding the game that hasn't been posted.

What was most evident to me and so disappointing today was the obvious lack of willingness to battle and the lack of positive attitude from the team.
    Ball possession was dire, the fight in the players was hardly there. 50/50 balls looked more like 80/20 to Blackburn.

We were slower, we tracked back at half the pace Blackburn broke forward with. We moved the ball ok at times, I'd say 10 - 15 minutes all up over the 90, but we were so so static for most of the game.

And it seemed to me they just argued with each other rather than support each other.

All these attributes, or lack of, stem from the manager, players play for the manager, and I watched Bob for a bit and he didn't not have the poise nor the body language of a man who's in complete control.

Is this RD's fault, or does the blame lay with BP.... With this regime I fear we will never know.
  • Poor showing today. Both goals were due to poor defending. Etheridfge didn't claim for the first and the second the less said the better.

Too many disinterested performances, which tell's me Peeters isn't getting them up for games. We have injuries and a small squad but we should still be doing better than 3 wins in 15.
  • http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30608662

Looks like Fox decided not to jump for the 1st.
    Simply brilliant marking for the 2nd.

Obviously other errors in the build up to each I guess.
  • I fear today is the beginning of the end for Bob. He really seems to be clutching at straws. Putting Bikey up top for the last 10 minutes!! That really is Sunday league stuff.
    All the good things we were doing at the start of the season have gone. Retaining possession, being patient and working an opening, defending in numbers. We aren't doing any of this!
    The lack of depth in the squad really is playing a massive part in our downfall, but that's not necessarily BP fault.
    I can't see us getting a result next week and unfortunately I think that will be the end of him.
  • vff said:

First use of the spray thing. Hopefully the can is now in the museum.

The spray was good. It made sure that the wall was actually 10 yards away. It gave Gudmundsson the space to tee up and fire in a lovely free kick. This was the best moment of the game. I would really like to see the use of the spray in all championship games as well.
    It will be used from next week.
  • Cannot pass much comment on the game as I did not go.

Have just seen the goals on IPlayer and cannot believe the space the fella was given for the second goal. Other than Fox where was everybody?
  • Cannot pass much comment on the game as I did not go.

Have just seen the goals on IPlayer and cannot believe the space the fella was given for the second goal. Other than Fox where was everybody?

Bikey was out on the right wing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ben Haim was counting ticket stubs in the West Stand box office... crazy formation but hey Bob's the coach, he calls the shots!
  • Ben Haim was counting ticket stubs in the West Stand box office... crazy formation but hey Bob's the coach, he calls the shots!

You'd like to think so.
  • I also think Cousins needs a kick up the arse. Agreed he is playing 'out of position' even though he's been known to play at RB before but he has been so poor in recent weeks.
  • Bikey is forever playing the other team onside. Blackburn mastered the offside trap, but Bikey is too bloody lazy and this means the full backs are under more pressure than they should be. See where he was for their 2nd.
  • agim said:

I fear today is the beginning of the end for Bob. He really seems to be clutching at straws. Putting Bikey up top for the last 10 minutes!! That really is Sunday league stuff.
    All the good things we were doing at the start of the season have gone. Retaining possession, being patient and working an opening, defending in numbers. We aren't doing any of this!
    The lack of depth in the squad really is playing a massive part in our downfall, but that's not necessarily BP fault.
    I can't see us getting a result next week and unfortunately I think that will be the end of him.

I agree that the squad lacks quality in depth - but I am convinced that the players we have are capable of playing to a much higher standard than they currently are. Something is wrong with the training, tactics, formation, selection and man management - and that has to be down to Bob. I don't want a change because i think it will be too disruptive, but he needs to get his act together.
  • Can we stop defending Cousins because he's playing on the left. He is not even doing the basics right!! He is a professional footballer that might not be as comfortable in that position but should still do the simple things.
    Same old Charlton fans defending the youth players until the bitter end when it's obvious he's a below average player.
  • Posted with reading. That was a pile of crap :-(
    Blackburn controlled the game, no atmosphere cos everyone was out of position (for once not just the players). Thought Church played well; thought JBG played well; at least Cousins, TBH and Tucudean looked interested for part of the game. Not happy with body language for most of them.
    While our defence is weakening and our attack is toothless, I fear it is in midfield that we are losing games.
    Blackburn were physical and played with a guile no one in a red shirt seems to have. Ref was inconsistent - not on a cardiff level but still sh1t. Played advantage for them lots, called us back when advantage looked good
  • edited January 2015
    Gudmondsson scored a lovely freekick . It's a shame that all his other set plays were dogshit. Never known a player to score two worldys but not get the ball higher than 3 inches when taking corners etc . Fox is awful and needs to go out on loan somewhere . Jackson isn't getting any better and I thought buyens was poor tho the red was harsh. Cousins best player for me , and church didn't too bad considering . Other than that clueless. Feel sorry for piggot , he ain't ever gonna be given a chance is he . Being brought on 4 mins to go when losing is a joke! And as for the referee what an absolute arsehole.

0-2 Brighton written all over next Saturday
  • What frustrates me from those clips is what seems to be lack of effort by Fox for both goals. Wasn't there so can't comment on where the other players were and the effort they put in, but not matter how old, how experienced, effort is a complete minimum.