Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Harry Kane

Comments

• dizzee said:

dizzee said:

Great striker. But not in top 5 players in the world as one person said. I think he is just proving that he is the first world class player we have had in a very very long time.

Why not? He’s playing in a comparatively weak team in arguably the best league in the world and has the most goals in European football in the past year. He has more right to that title than Ronaldo does if we’re talking strictly individual achievement who won the Ballon D’Or on team merit.
    Best league in the world? Sky has got to your head.
    Mmmmm......there’s a case for saying this at this moment in time.......just look at the number of teams we have left in European competitions!
  • He needs a good World Cup or Euros and/or win the Champions League to recognised as a truly great player. He's lauded in this country but he won't get worldwide recognition unless he leads England deep into a major tournament.

Spurs are going to get flooded with offers in the summer. A lot of those clubs won't be British based.

Rea Madrid, PSG might fancy it and I bet they can make the kind of offer Tottenham cannot refuse.

It's rare you see an English superstar move abroad but it might happen.
  • dizzee said:

dizzee said:

Great striker. But not in top 5 players in the world as one person said. I think he is just proving that he is the first world class player we have had in a very very long time.

Why not? He’s playing in a comparatively weak team in arguably the best league in the world and has the most goals in European football in the past year. He has more right to that title than Ronaldo does if we’re talking strictly individual achievement who won the Ballon D’Or on team merit.
    It's pretty hard to measure the "best league in the world" but if you could I would imagine that, currently, it's hard to argue that the Premier League isn't the best - care to try?
  • Dave2l said:

He needs a good World Cup or Euros and/or win the Champions League to recognised as a truly great player. He's lauded in this country but he won't get worldwide recognition unless he leads England deep into a major tournament.

Spurs are going to get flooded with offers in the summer. A lot of those clubs won't be British based.

Rea Madrid, PSG might fancy it and I bet they can make the kind of offer Tottenham cannot refuse.

The best teams in the world need the best players in the world, and Harry Kane is the best centre forward in the world.

However, it depends whether teams are happy to have a focal point striker, rather than having interchangeable front three up top.

If I was doing a fantasy premier league draft, Harry Kane would be number 1 pick.
  • se9addick said:

dizzee said:

dizzee said:

It's pretty hard to measure the "best league in the world" but if you could I would imagine that, currently, it's hard to argue that the Premier League isn't the best - care to try?
    Depends on the criteria. Certainly, it seems questionable to claim a league that’s been decided in December and has the issue of the top 6 and bottom 14 being completely disconnected is the best, when it comes to competitiveness.

The Championship is far more exciting in that regard. Or even Serie B, where you can throw a blanket over the top ten (just 8 points separate them, while the bottom team is only 19 points off the top of the table!). Serie A is also far more entertaining that it was a few years back.

Also, there are plenty of leagues I’ve never heard of, let alone seen, so it’s a little arrogant to assume ‘ours’ is the best without doing the homework!
  • Dave2l said:

He needs a good World Cup or Euros and/or win the Champions League to recognised as a truly great player. He's lauded in this country but he won't get worldwide recognition unless he leads England deep into a major tournament.

The best teams in the world need the best players in the world, and Harry Kane is the best centre forward in the world.

However, it depends whether teams are happy to have a focal point striker, rather than having interchangeable front three up top.

If I was doing a fantasy premier league draft, Harry Kane would be number 1 pick.
    I think that this is where Kane is different to say Shearer though. He might not be a Messi but he can go deep and also wide to drag defenders all over the place and he does see a pass.
    Yes, the fact that he picked the No 10 shirt and his favourite Spurs player was Sheringham shows that he doesn't see himself as just a goalscorer
  • When he does it for England I'll start to take notice.
  • Sponsored links:

• So play this little game, take the premiership and match up against another league team versus team in the same league position. Total up the wins for each league. I'm fairly confident the premiership will come out on top.

There may be a couple of teams in Spain, maybe even Germany and Italy, but I'd fancy our bottom half to trounce the bottom halves of those leagues.

Kane may not be playing in "the best league in the world", but on average he will face more difficult opposition every week than he would in any other league.

You really think Brighton, Huddersfield, Everton, West Brom, Swansea are any better than the lower spanish teams? I don’t think so. Atalanta spanked Everton 5-1. The first decent team in the prem in a long long time is Man City and they’ve won the league in December. When Leicester won the league a couple years ago they would never have won the spanish, Herman or Italian league. It’s ridiculously overrated and sky have got to all of your heads. They purposely hype the premier league in every single sentence they say on that show to ensure they’re lining their pockets nicely.
  • edited December 2017
    dizzee said:

So play this little game, take the premiership and match up against another league team versus team in the same league position. Total up the wins for each league. I'm fairly confident the premiership will come out on top.

There may be a couple of teams in Spain, maybe even Germany and Italy, but I'd fancy our bottom half to trounce the bottom halves of those leagues.

Kane may not be playing in "the best league in the world", but on average he will face more difficult opposition every week than he would in any other league.

You really think Brighton, Huddersfield, Everton, West Brom, Swansea are any better than the lower spanish teams? I don’t think so. Atalanta spanked Everton 5-1. The first decent team in the prem in a long long time is Man City and they’ve won the league in December. When Leicester won the league a couple years ago they would never have won the spanish, Herman or Italian league. It’s ridiculously overrated and sky have got to all of your heads. They purposely hype the premier league in every single sentence they say on that show to ensure they’re lining their pockets nicely.
    Then play the game I suggested. If you match the EPL against Serie A, I can't see anything less than at 13-7 win for the EPL possible more (assuming all games have to have a winner). Would be a similar stories against the Bundesliga, probably a bit closer against La Liga.

Regarding your Everton example, do you think it would be 5-1 if they played now? And Atalanta are 2 places above Everton, so in the match up it would be an improved Everton vs Udinese.
  • Croydon said:

When he does it for England I'll start to take notice.

Still early in his England career and he has to do it in the finals of a big tournament but he hasn't exactly been "barren" to date:

Kane 12 goals in 1631 minutes equivalent 1 in 135.92 minutes
    Lineker 48 goals in 6529 minutes equivalent 1 in 136.02 minutes
    Shearer 30 goals in 5377 minutes equivalent 1 in 179.23 minutes

• Croydon said:

Still early in his England career and he has to do it in the finals of a big tournament but he hasn't exactly been "barren" to date:

Cue someone asking who each of their goals were against.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Croydon said:

Cue someone asking who each of their goals were against.
    I'm not looking that up but I can say that 4 were in friendlies and 8 were in Qualifiers.
  • Croydon said:

Who were those goals against?
  • Kane is a quality player, if scoring goals in the PL was that easy then he wouldn't be breaking so many PL records, I was disappointed with the sneering reaction to him even being nominated for Sports Personality of the year

People are never happy . Even Shearer got a lot of grief.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Damn Everyone wants to win the Herman League.

Münster are top at the moment with Sheffield Wednesday just behind them.
  • Sponsored links:

• dizzee said:

So play this little game, take the premiership and match up against another league team versus team in the same league position. Total up the wins for each league. I'm fairly confident the premiership will come out on top.

Then play the game I suggested. If you match the EPL against Serie A, I can't see anything less than at 13-7 win for the EPL possible more (assuming all games have to have a winner). Would be a similar stories against the Bundesliga, probably a bit closer against La Liga.

Regarding your Everton example, do you think it would be 5-1 if they played now? And Atalanta are 2 places above Everton, so in the match up it would be an improved Everton vs Udinese.
    Serie A is very strong this year and apart from Man City no other English team would win it. I genuinely believe that if you played that game then Serie A would win team for team.
  • The amazing fact is Messi managed to get 91-goals in one season!!

All that tells you is that Spanish defenders have stopped being so awful this year.
  • Riviera said:

JiMMy 85 said:

Riviera said:

Why do the media have to make up these pointless records? Football is played over a season and not a "Calendar Year".

The time period is an arbitrary human construct. The record is no more meaningful or pointless than any other. In this case, the measure is a consistent length of time and the individual is being measured within that time frame. It may not be relevant to the 'seasonal' nature of football, but that doesn't make it irrelevant to measuring the success of the individual.

You just don't get it do you?

It's as pointless as the BBC's African Footballer of the Year, WTF is that all about? Ticks a few boxes for the BBC, that's all.
    Boring.
  • He's a great player but also a bit of a flat track bully - only 5 of his 47 League goals in the past season and a half have come against the other 'big 6' sides.
  • cafctom said:

Kane is a quality player, if scoring goals in the PL was that easy then he wouldn't be breaking so many PL records, I was disappointed with the sneering reaction to him even being nominated for Sports Personality of the year

Unfortunately it is part of the English mentality, and I don't know why, but even when someone achieves something mindblowing like Harry Kane has - people just can't wait to pick holes or wait for them to fail at something so they can just say 'told you so' rather than encouraging them on.
    I can’t remember who said it (might’ve been joey Barton actually) but the English love losers, they hate anyone who wins.
  • edited December 2017
    Real Madrid getting ready for a January bid? Very highly rated here.

http://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2017/12/29/5a4549b422601dcf518b459c.html
  • dizzee said:

dizzee said:

Serie A is very strong this year and apart from Man City no other English team would win it. I genuinely believe that if you played that game then Serie A would win team for team.
    Really? Every team? Even Benevento? Hellas? SPAL? Crotone?
  • Team for team the Premier League is definitely the strongest in depth.

Teams like Swansea and West Brom are on par with sides like Ajax and Galatasaray - the likes of Koln, Benevento, Leganes etc don't come close
  • cafctom said:

Kane is a quality player, if scoring goals in the PL was that easy then he wouldn't be breaking so many PL records, I was disappointed with the sneering reaction to him even being nominated for Sports Personality of the year

Unfortunately it is part of the English mentality, and I don't know why, but even when someone achieves something mindblowing like Harry Kane has - people just can't wait to pick holes or wait for them to fail at something so they can just say 'told you so' rather than encouraging them on.
    I can’t remember who said it (might’ve been joey Barton actually) but the English love losers, they hate anyone who wins.
    Its an attitude that the British Media have started with Sports fans coming on board recently as I find a lot of them will come out with the same arguments in the newspapers and dont have the knowledge to argue their own views (Quite funny as their views change with the wind)

Andy Murray and British Cycling are perfect examples of this, especially the latter as even the years prior to Chris Hoy and Wiggins etc. no one cared how they were winning.