Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

new catering

Comments

• Options

So it seems the food is much improved if not a little expensive but we have the same numpties serving and that had always been the biggest problem at The Valley.
    Sort that problem out and everything will fall into place.

The only way to sort it out is to get staff in who are trained and have a good knowledge of serving food and drink at large events.

I'm sorry, but at £7 an hour you're not going to get that.

It's all about the profit margins and at football matches they're not that interested in customer service.

We'll all just have to be a bit more understanding and patient towards these people working there. I'm sure they're trying hard.
    I am in no way shape or form sticking up for the minimum wage here, but are you suggesting that we should not expect any of the millions of people earning that minimum wage to do their job competently? And that those good folk serving at Glastonbury, Brands Hatch and the village fete are paid well above that in order that they can anticipate when to put the pies in to warm and how to pour a pint?
    Not at all. All I am saying is that at that rate you're going to get a lot of folk who have never done that kind of work before and are inexperienced. If you were to pay a bit more and be more picky about your staff (based on experince for example) you'd get better service.

I am in no way saying just becuase you are on minimum wage should you be imcompetent. I'm just saying if you're willing to up the stakes a bit then the type of people you get generally tend to be better (I have some experience in this arena).

To add: I am in no way generalising or discrediting anyone who works there for this wage. They deserve massive respect for getting of of their backsides and going and earnming an honest living.
    I think that is about the going rate for that type of work, my other half works in retail and every job pays minimum wage or pennies over, as does bar work, fast food etc etc. hardly anyone is offering more than minimum wage £7 an hour is quite good in fact. Should be doing their jobs well because there is massive competition out there at the moment for even the lowest paid work. There was a vacancy at the petrol station down the road, minimum wage, crappy hours, stupid targets 300+ applicants in 2 weeks. What they wouldn't do for a £7 an hour job in a football stadium?!
  • Options
    edited August 2014

As this huge catering group has now taken over, one would hope that they spend a bit on staff training.
    They have taken this onboard
    Training now takes place every second Saturday and the occasional Tuesday.

• Options
    All well and good having the new menu, but it's the staff who are absolutely woeful, you could have fine dining but with the motley crew behind the kiosk it's always going to be a below par service
  • Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

the food was really good, it was just the lack of it and the service that's the problem.

i was happy paying £5 for pie and mash, but not happy missing the start of the game even though i got to the stadium at 6:30pm

So you are saying it took over 1 hour and 15 mins to serve you pie & mash ?

Peculiar, i joined a queue in the Lower West at 7.42 & was served by 7.43. I had a pie and could have had mash if I wanted.
  • Options
    I queued all through half time to reach the front of the queue and find the only option was a veggie pie. As I hadn't had any dinner dinner I had to have it. For the money it was well filled but was a very standard cheese and onion filling. Was way too hot though. Had to wait for it to cool for 10 minutes before I could contemplate eating it. However it was miles better than the food used to be - I tasted hot food on my first visit to The Valley in 2011 and never had anything inside the ground until yesterday.

Service was appalling. Queues at every serving point which didn't move quickly. Reckon that was down to inexperience though as the chap serving me was doing everything the long way around and really didn't know what he was doing.

Would like to try some of the other food though - preferably a pie containing meat!

Still would like decent beer (yes, real ale but without the shove ha'penny and I don't have a beard and wear cable knit jumpers) as the Fosters and John Smiths is pretty much the cheapest and crappiest horse piss you can serve without it actually being horse piss. At £3.90 it does stand up to London pub prices which is the only possible point in its favour. As others have said, Mean Time would be a welcome option.

I reckon we need to give the staff a chance to get to grips with match day. It's a relatively small window to get things prepped and ready for and then a lot of people all at once. I dont think the bigger than expected gate would have helped either, and I suspect there were a few like me coming straight from work to a night game and hadn't eaten. Hopefully lessons learned will be acted upon!
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

As this huge catering group has now taken over, one would hope that they spend a bit on staff training.
    They have taken this onboard
    Training now takes place every second Saturday and the occasional Tuesday.

I briefly worked for a big catering company that catered for Wembley, Emirates, Twickenham etc. There was no training whatsoever. There was a quick telephone interview, you turned up, picked a random name badge from the pile, and got thrown in at the deep end. I imagine this is much the same. Always great when you get to wear a name badge saying "Marco" for the day when serving Arsenal fans
  • Options
    Problem is last season it was the same person serving on the same till virtually all season. They never became any quicker or efficient. So why did I not change tills? As they were still the best of a bad bunch. The chippie up the road can serve far more people than the slow CAFC staff and its cheaper too.
  • Options

Fiiish said:

seth plum said:

The veggie option in the west lower concourse was a cheese and onion pie (£3.50 I believe, and likely to be every bit as vile as the old Tesco value range pasties were), or jalapeno bites in salsa sauce. The salsa sauce was squirted from a giant Heinz bottle of said sauce into a box like structure, and I witnessed the lady put five 'bites' in the box, with tongs she had just been handling meat stuff which was right beside it. The five mini bites, (plus meat essence), a squirt of Heinz and a cardboard box was £4.
    Not only is it utter chite, it is rip off chite to boot. Given the tong manoeuvres it wasn't even vegetarian.

Unless it's an allergy/hygiene thing, there's no reason why utensils used to handle meat can't be used to handle vegetarian items as well. No more or less animals have died as a result, and this is coming from someone who has spent a short time being a vegetarian and is also marrying a vegetarian. Choosing not to eat meat out of preference rather than necessity doesn't affect cross-contamination requirements. I don't like olives but I don't mind when the bloke at Subway serves my Sub whilst wearing gloves he was handling olives with. Rest assured most restaurants and takeaways don't bother with strict quarantine between meat and veg except for purely hygenic reasons (ie not preparing raw meat and anything else on the same board).

Price and food quality points withstand however.

Sorry fella but as a vegetarian for eighteen years, practically vegan these days, if I witnessed someone using tongs to touch my vegetarian option after they've used them to touch meat products then I'd tell them to poke it. I choose not to ingest any meat products and if I've specified a veggie option then I would appreciate it if it's not then tainted with death. Sorry if I'm sounding precious but I take my veggie lifestyle seriously. So I'm 100% with Seth on this.
    What's probably happened though is those tongs have touched some pastry that's touched some gravy that is surrounding some steak.

At what point are they no longer 'tainted with death'? Pastry is pastry.

Not using burger tongs for both, example, I do get though I also get where fiiish is coming from.
  • Options
    The tongs were handling meat directly.
  • Options

CAFCsayer said:

So it seems the food is much improved if not a little expensive but we have the same numpties serving and that had always been the biggest problem at The Valley.

The only way to sort it out is to get staff in who are trained and have a good knowledge of serving food and drink at large events.

I get paid less than that and serve just as many people... It's not rocket science, get people in who know how to run a bar properly.
    Sorry Sayer, I didn't mean to generalise, most of them I mean, not all of them. I always make sure I am as polite and patient as possible as no-one goes to work to be abused, but I see some people having a go at them when they clearly doing their best.

But their best is not good enough... It's simple, hire people who are good on a bar. If they're not any good don't put them on to work.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

Oh no, whatever will we do!? Can't have a couple of meat particles on your cheese and onion pie!
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

seth plum said:

Oh no, whatever will we do!? Can't have a couple of meat particles on your cheese and onion pie!
    I don't know why you're exerting yourself over this one. Does vegetarianism bother you in some way?

• Options
    CAFCsayer said:

seth plum said:

A bit tactless there!

FYI vegetarian or not, cross contamination of foods is taken very seriously not just because of peoples lifestyle choices but because of religious reasons, digestive illnesses and diseases and more seriously allergies. If they are breaching a hygiene rule as simple and important as cross contamination I'd be worried about how many other health and safety breaches they're committing with my food.
  • Options
    Sorry for being ignorant but why the hell does someone touching a veggie burger with tongs that have touched meat matter?

From my understanding there are two types of veggie, those that don't actually like meat, and those that don't like people killing animals. Both of which dont actually matter if tongs touch some meat. I mean, I don't like onions....I don't complain if the tongs serving my burger have touched onions. Maybe I'm not just a fussy so and so.

Again, I'm probably being ignorant, but can someone please explain.
  • Options

C4FC4L1f3 said:

the food was really good, it was just the lack of it and the service that's the problem.

i was happy paying £5 for pie and mash, but not happy missing the start of the game even though i got to the stadium at 6:30pm

So you are saying it took over 1 hour and 15 mins to serve you pie & mash ?

Peculiar, i joined a queue in the Lower West at 7.42 & was served by 7.43. I had a pie and could have had mash if I wanted.
    Show off.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

I get paid less than that and serve just as many people... It's not rocket science, get people in who know how to run a bar properly.
    Sorry Sayer, I didn't mean to generalise, most of them I mean, not all of them. I always make sure I am as polite and patient as possible as no-one goes to work to be abused, but I see some people having a go at them when they clearly doing their best.

But their best is not good enough... It's simple, hire people who are good on a bar. If they're not any good don't put them on to work.
    That would mean a vigorous recruitment exercise when all they really want is someone who is willing to work four hours every fortnight on minimum wage.

Not going to happen I’m afraid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

That would mean a vigorous recruitment exercise when all they really want is someone who is willing to work four hours every fortnight on minimum wage.

Not going to happen I’m afraid.
    That's the point I was making earlier.
    It's ok saying this company does catering at xyz stadium. Even if the stadium is in another part of London it's gonna take people an hour to get to and from the venue whilst costing them £7? On a travel card.
    In effect it could be taking 6 hrs of a persons Saturday to clear £21 by working at the valley.
    It's not like stacking shelves at the local supermarket for a garaunteed amount of hours per week on set days.
  • Options
    I look forward to this thread developing over the next couple of home games. All my need for food based sexual innuendo and discussion on the merits of minimum wage v the quality of staff in one place...

Carry on.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

• Options
    dickplumb said:

I have never eaten at a football ground, I have never had a drink at a football ground. Why would I? If I want to eat I would visit a restaurant or a decent chippy. If I want to drink I would go to the Pub. The fare that is served up in Football grounds is generally poor, overpriced and the service is awful. I am there to watch the Football.

You've never had a balti pie.
  • Options
    Has anyone written to the club complaining about your issues ? I'm sure I said in a precious thread that the kiosk staff are useless and by the sounds of it not got any better
  • Options
    magic1999 said:

Has anyone written to the club complaining about your issues ? I'm sure I said in a precious thread that the kiosk staff are useless and by the sounds of it not got any better

A precious thread? Is that one of Paulie's?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

CAFCsayer said:

seth plum said:

I don't know why you're exerting yourself over this one. Does vegetarianism bother you in some way?

Sorry, had had a few beers and was tired and in a shite mood. Point still stands but probably could have phrased it more eloquently!
  • Options
    Cross-contamination

Cross contamination is one of the most common causes of food poisoning. It happens when harmful germs are spread onto food from other food, surfaces, hands or equipment.

It's very important to prepare food safely, to help stop harmful germs from spreading and growing.

To help stop bacteria from spreading, remember these things:

Don't let raw meat, poultry or unwashed raw vegetables touch other foods.

Never prepare ready-to-eat food using a chopping board, utensil or knife that you have used to prepare raw meat, poultry or unwashed raw vegetables unless they have been washed and disinfected thoroughly first.

Clean worktops and utensils with hot water and detergent and remember to disinfect those surfaces that have come in contact with raw meat, poultry and unwashed raw vegetables. You can disinfect equipment and utensils using boiling water, a chemical such as an antibacterial leaner or in a dishwasher.

Always wash your hands thoroughly after touching raw meat, poultry and unwashed raw vegetables, and before you touch anything else.

Always cover raw meat and store it on the bottom shelf of the fridge where it can't touch or drip onto other foods.

Root vegetables such as potatoes, leeks and carrots often have traces of soil on them which can contain harmful bacteria, so wash them thoroughly before use. Don't forget to wash other fruit and vegetables too, especially if they are going to be eaten raw.

Keep dishcloths clean and change them regularly.

Avoid preparing food for yourself or others if you are ill, especially with vomiting and diarrhoea.

LMFAO like you would bother cooking for anyone else if you're spilling out of both ends!
  • Options
    cross contamination can end up with a £10,000 fine for the individual who did it aswell as the employer, really not that much of a hassle to not do it, you need a whole whole extra pair of tongs
  • Options
    There's a difference between cross-contamination and some tongs that have touched cooked meat also touching some bloody Quorn. That's not going to kill anybody.