Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    2121 said:
    Albury, how much does it cost to keep a horse training and racing? With exception of purchase price… 
    I've got a few horses with Anthony Honeyball and his monthly charge is £1800.
    Also had some with Olly Murphy and his charges ranged from £2200-£2800 a month. 
    Expensive hobby. 

Out of interest, if you was the sole owner of a horse, how would the prize money usually be divided between owner, trainer and jockey

From my position its 70% owner, 10% trainer, 10% jockey and then 5% stable staff and 5% into a racing charity
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Albury, how much does it cost to keep a horse training and racing? With exception of purchase price… 
    Expensive hobby. 

Out of interest, if you was the sole owner of a horse, how would the prize money usually be divided between owner, trainer and jockey

From my position its 70% owner, 10% trainer, 10% jockey and then 5% stable staff and 5% into a racing charity
    And you've still got to pay the jockeys riding fee,entries and travel costs. 
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Expensive hobby. 

And you've still got to pay the jockeys riding fee,entries and travel costs. 
    Its generally about £600 every time it runs
  • Options
    So a hard working jockey like Hollie Doyle that rides around 3 times a day all year round, earns about £100 per race plus any winnings?
  • Options
    So a hard working jockey like Hollie Doyle that rides around 3 times a day all year round, earns about £100 per race plus any winnings?
    More like £200-250 per ride plus a % of the winnings..
  • Options
    According to the ROA flat jockeys get £127 per ride and jump jockeys £173 per ride. 
  • Options
    She's wins a fair bit of prize money!

The top jockeys are on stable/owner retainers as well as winnings and earn fortunes. The average journeyman/woman jockey earns a living, no more.
  • Options
    According to the ROA flat jockeys get £127 per ride and jump jockeys £173 per ride. 
    So these are minimums? 
  • Options
    All jockeys get the same standard riding fee.But then there are all different prize money percentages,retainer fees,sponsorship money plus some trainers do cover travelling costs for some jockeys.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    She's wins a fair bit of prize money!

The top jockeys are on stable/owner retainers as well as winnings and earn fortunes. The average journeyman/woman jockey earns a living, no more.
    I’d imagine the AW has been a lifesaver for quite a few flat jockeys then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Irish Oaks, €232,000 to the winner 8 runners 5 from Coolmore who get the first 4 past the post.. farcical
  • Options
    More bad news stories regarding the racing industry this morning. I wonder if horse racing will still be around in 20 years time. 
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57881979

Panorama on BBC1 tonight at 8.30
  • Options
    Elliott involved again, fat wrongen.
  • Options
    Does anyone know of an online resource to historic racing results?
    Looking to go back to a meeting at Stratford in January 1970 and I presume it’s horses as a quick google says Stratford dogs had closed by then.

• Options

Or if anyone can tell me how these got on. 
    It was my better half’s grandads last bet (that we have come across whilst going through some keepsakes). He collapsed outside the bookies and died very soon after. We think it was New Year’s Day 1970.
  • Options

Or if anyone can tell me how these got on. 
    It was my better half’s grandads last bet (that we have come across whilst going through some keepsakes). He collapsed outside the bookies and died very soon after. We think it was New Year’s Day 1970.
    Try this, think you can get a free trial.

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/
  • Options
    If you do the exact search:
    "spanish town" "red rally" "ease" "cherubini"
    with all the quote marks etc on the site Gary posted it gives 9 newspaper entry results - including one for New Years Day 1970

You have to log in to see any further details.
  • Options
    I think this might be a struggle. Also, there is an indication at the bottom of the slip that there was a return of his stake i.e. the race meeting might have been abandoned and he had just got his money back although I would have thought that this slip would have been retained by the Bookmaker had this been the case.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks all.
    will take a look later.
  • Options
    I think this might be a struggle. Also, there is an indication at the bottom of the slip that there was a return of his stake i.e. the race meeting might have been abandoned and he had just got his money back although I would have thought that this slip would have been retained by the Bookmaker had this been the case.
    Or it could have been a lost slip that he completed a copy of to claim a void but never got round to claiming it - or it's a hand-written receipt from the bookmaker and he did get his money back (there's no till stamp).

Either way, Charles Webb would have been taken over by one of the big boys many, many moons ago and the chances of a record still existing are remote in the extreme.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Or it could have been a lost slip that he completed a copy of to claim a void but never got round to claiming it - or it's a hand-written receipt from the bookmaker and he did get his money back (there's no till stamp).

Either way, Charles Webb would have been taken over by one of the big boys many, many moons ago and the chances of a record still existing are remote in the extreme.
    Just want to trace the results out of curiosity as it would’ve been his last bet.
    the shop is now a Ladbrokes and my earliest recollection is that is was a E Coombes bookie. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:

Just want to trace the results out of curiosity as it would’ve been his last bet.
    the shop is now a Ladbrokes and my earliest recollection is that is was a E Coombes bookie. 
    It was 31 December 1969 race card.

Cherubina won the 2.30 at 8/11 and the last three races including the 4.30 were abandoned.

Return £1.73 or £1 14s 7d
    Nice work.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    15.50 at York tomorrow Captainhughjampton makes his debut.
    Someone had an off day at Weatherby's!
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Thats worse than when Mary Hinge got through. 
  • Options
    Not sure if that race is on ITV tomorrow but would love it to be in the frame.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Thats worse than when Mary Hinge got through. 
    Commentary. Captainhughjampton is pressing Mary Hinge, he's going to get up.