Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    Not my bag this Ascot mullarkey but 1 free bet from the venerable Bob and 1 win for me.
    Oxted ..... triffic come from the rear.
    God it's easy this flat racing stuff   :D
  • Options
    I had  PP and bet 365 £5 free bets.

• Options
    Murtagh giving Crowley a bit of stick on ITV which is refreshing to see as they usually never criticise the jockeys.

Was great seeing the Teale family being interviewed. Thoroughly deserved.
  • Options
    Chindit ran up the arse of every horse in the race. Seriously impressive by Poetic Flare tho.
  • Options
    If you thought today's card was difficult, have a look at tomorrow's!! Money stays firmly in the bank.
  • Options
    Lord North withdrawn from the P O Wales .. might as well give Coolmore the £400,000 now
  • Options
    I don’t think Dettori will wanna watch that back on Stradivarius
  • Options
    I don’t think Dettori will wanna watch that back on Stradivarius
    Even the best get it wrong sometimes. That was pretty horrendous though. Urgh.
  • Options
    Eve Lodge in the first
  • Options
    Just lumped on dragon symbol at 2.58 on betfair,  I don't see that getting overturned 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bollocks 
  • Options
    2 down, 3 to go... had both singles too
  • Options
    Deano’s boy is in horse racing, his horse won at 8/1.
  • Options
    there is talk of expanding the Cheltenham festival to five days, for me a day too far. Already top class NH racing is diluted as many trainers keep their horses 'for Chelters' at the expense of all other meetings and courses and the top class horses are spread too thin at Cheltenham itself.  I know the extra day(s) will be good for the Cotswolds and greater Gloucestershire (and surrounding areas) economy as well as boosting turnover and profits for the bookies, for me however three days is good enough, four too many and don't even think about five
  • Options
    there is talk of expanding the Cheltenham festival to five days, for me a day too far. Already top class NH racing is diluted as many trainers keep their horses 'for Chelters' at the expense of all other meetings and courses and the top class horses are spread too thin at Cheltenham itself.  I know the extra day(s) will be good for the Cotswolds and greater Gloucestershire (and surrounding areas) economy as well as boosting turnover and profits for the bookies, for me however three days is good enough, four too many and don't even think about five
    I would prefer losing a day rather than gaining one. Back to Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday for me - I agree three days is enough with the traditional features being Champion Hurdle (Tue), Queen Mum (Wed) and The Gold Cup (Thur) 

While we're at it - Ascot Heath on the Saturday, four days of Royal Ascot is enough. Oh, and The Derby on the first WEDNESDAY in June.

Call me a traditionist (or an old fogey). 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I would prefer losing a day rather than gaining one. Back to Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday for me - I agree three days is enough with the traditional features being Champion Hurdle (Tue), Queen Mum (Wed) and The Gold Cup (Thur) 

While we're at it - Ascot Heath on the Saturday, four days of Royal Ascot is enough. Oh, and The Derby on the first WEDNESDAY in June.

Call me a traditionist (or an old fogey). 
    exactly .. although strike the bit about old fogey  :)
  • Options
    Understand that two cameramen have fallen out of the basket of a cherry picker at Hamilton Racecourse onto the roof of the Racetech truck. Seriously hope that they will be OK.
  • Options
    Racing finally abandoned. It was, by all accounts, the head on camera and the two cameramen fell some 30 feet onto the roof of the truck below. As I say, wish the two of them all the very best.
  • Options

Racing finally abandoned. It was, by all accounts, the head on camera and the two cameramen fell some 30 feet onto the roof of the truck below. As I say, wish the two of them all the very best.
    this sounds like a  very serious incident, falling 30 feet onto a hard surface obviously means potentially serious injuries .. as said, all the best to both men
  • Options
    At Brighton tonight and witnessed what looked like a horrible incident in the 8:05 where Shane Kelly on the favourite seemed to crash through the rail in a cloud of dust.
    No info on horse or jockey on course but only possible positive is the 8:35 went ahead.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Jockey Shane Kelly has been taken to hospital for further assessment following a nasty incident at Brighton on Tuesday evening.

Kelly was riding 11-8 favourite Finvarra in division one of the mile handicap (8.05), who was leading the field before falling heavily three furlongs out, which sent the jockey crashing through the railings.

Kelly was stretchered into the ambulance and was conscious and speaking, but has been taken to Royal Sussex County Hospital for further checks.

Brighton clerk of the course Philip Hide said: "The news with Shane is that he's gone off to Royal Sussex County hospital for further observation. He's conscious and speaking, but he's gone for further checks because the hospital is so local."

The Group 2-winning jockey has enjoyed a fine season in the saddle so far, notching his first Royal Ascot success in the Wokingham Stakes on Rohaan, who he also landed the Sandy Lane Stakes at Haydock on earlier in the year.

The Evan Williams-trained Finvarra sadly suffered a fatal injury in the incident. His two career victories were over course-and-distance at the seaside track earlier this season.

• Options

Jockey Shane Kelly has been taken to hospital for further assessment following a nasty incident at Brighton on Tuesday evening.

Kelly was riding 11-8 favourite Finvarra in division one of the mile handicap (8.05), who was leading the field before falling heavily three furlongs out, which sent the jockey crashing through the railings.

Kelly was stretchered into the ambulance and was conscious and speaking, but has been taken to Royal Sussex County Hospital for further checks.

Brighton clerk of the course Philip Hide said: "The news with Shane is that he's gone off to Royal Sussex County hospital for further observation. He's conscious and speaking, but he's gone for further checks because the hospital is so local."

The Group 2-winning jockey has enjoyed a fine season in the saddle so far, notching his first Royal Ascot success in the Wokingham Stakes on Rohaan, who he also landed the Sandy Lane Stakes at Haydock on earlier in the year.

The Evan Williams-trained Finvarra sadly suffered a fatal injury in the incident. His two career victories were over course-and-distance at the seaside track earlier this season.

Liked for the info not the horse fatality or injury to jockey.
  • Options
    Williams needs to answer a few questions following that accident yesterday, i know it was unfortunate but he has run that horse 6 times in the last 6 weeks. 
  • Options
    My horse Vorashaan running at Lingfield today - he'd have an each way chance at decent odds ( but I always think that !) 
  • Options
    Good luck Alburyaddick
  • Options
    Sorry anyone who backed it - ran well below expectations for me and Gary Moore - all a bit strange but that's horses for you !
  • Options
    Albury, how much does it cost to keep a horse training and racing? With exception of purchase price… 
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Albury, how much does it cost to keep a horse training and racing? With exception of purchase price… 
    It would vary depending on trainer - but this will give you an good idea.

https://www.roa.co.uk/raceday/journey/cost/how-much-does-it-cost-to-be-an-owner.html

• Options
    2121 said:
    I've got a few horses with Anthony Honeyball and his monthly charge is £1800.
    Also had some with Olly Murphy and his charges ranged from £2200-£2800 a month. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    2121 said:
    I've got a few horses with Anthony Honeyball and his monthly charge is £1800.
    Also had some with Olly Murphy and his charges ranged from £2200-£2800 a month. 
    Expensive hobby. 

Out of interest, if you was the sole owner of a horse, how would the prize money usually be divided between owner, trainer and jockey?