Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• Options
    Heading to Ascot tomorrow. Can anybody recommend any horses to back? 
    5.05 Firestream
  • Options
    3:20 Larry
  • Options
    One named after me in the 14.45 Monsieur Lecoq!!!!
  • Options
    @DoctorCharlton did you back it?
  • Options
    @DoctorCharlton did you back it?
    I didn’t! Mrs did though.

had two winners yesterday, ended the day around even.
  • Options
    Melbourne Cup:
    Dad in law has picked the winner a few times.
    Apparently Spanish Mission is worth a punt. Odds 9/1.
  • Options
    Danepak said:
    Melbourne Cup:
    Dad in law has picked the winner a few times.
    Apparently Spanish Mission is worth a punt. Odds 9/1.
    Finished 3rd
  • Options
    Yesterday was the first time I’d heard of the Laytown ‘track’ in Ireland.
    Are there any other race meetings run on courses that are not your usual turf/poly etc set up in what I’d consider normal rules race surroundings?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Are there any other race meetings run on courses that are not your usual turf/poly etc set up in what I’d consider normal rules race surroundings?
    They race on snow in St Moritz, or ‘the white turf’ as it’s called.

Its where George Baker really injured his head after falling.
  • Options
    They race on snow in St Moritz, or ‘the white turf’ as it’s called.

Its where George Baker really injured his head after falling.

that looks the nuts
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Impressive run by Modern Games to win at the Breeders Cup although bizarrely he was withdrawn from the betting market.
    How is Baffert still allowed to run his horses in some states after failing numerous drug tests? It makes a mockery of their system. 
  • Options
    Ive got Vorashaan running at Sandown tomorrow, he’s inconsistent but hopeful as ever !
  • Options
    Although the 2nd horse is the winner for  betting purposes some bookies are also paying out Modern Games backers as well. 
  • Options
    Happened again for Charlie Appleby. Master of the Seas withdrawn after rearing in the stalls then Space Blues winning. Thought 9/4 was a great price so had a nibble on it.
  • Options
    Yibir and Appleby again. Brilliant.
  • Options
    Envoi Allen not in the class of the experienced horses
  • Options
    Energumene looks very good
  • Options
    Any ante post fancies for Cheltenham at this stage?
  • Options
    Battle of the owners in the last at Newbury, KillerKish v Falconwood 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jonbon will be difficult to beat in the Supreme Novice based on his win today at Ascot
  • Options
    Blazing Khal in the Albert Bartlett
  • Options
    Great run by Champ! Love that horse
  • Options
    I have a 1/3000 share he in Stage Star with The Owners Group he looks useful, due to run in the Challow at Newbury on the 29th.
  • Options
    Good luck northstandsteve, nice day at Newbury for owners if no restrictions?!
    Haven't been on for ages and also just seen your post as regards "battle of the owners" at Newbury on 15th.Who did Falconwood 1 own and did I win........ Lol
  • Options
    Oi Oi Stage Star
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Oi Oi Stage Star
    Many congrats @northstandsteve
    Very nice.
    Happy New Year!!
  • Options
    A couple of gambles today, one successful and one foiled late on:

Wolv 12.20 - Almufeed trained by Sean Curran ridden by Grace McEntee, daughter of trainer Phil, previous lifetime form (most recent first):

6th/14 @ 12/1
    7th/9 @ 22/1
    8th/14 @ 300/1
    7th/12 @ 200/1
    10th/14 @ 200/1
    6th/8 @ 100/30

That first race was a bumper so clearly connections knew that the horse had an engine but opted to start the horse's flat career in a Class 4 race won by Baeed, trained by Willie Haggas, who has a lifetime record of 6 from 6 wins including the QE2 at Ascot last time out!

Almufeed was 16/1 last night, went off at 5/2, made all and won doing handstands. The stable will probably say that their charge is "progressive" and deny all knowledge of the gamble.

The second gamble came in the next race at Wolverhampton (12.50) in the shape of Axel Jacklin - trained by Chelsea Banham and ridden by her boyfriend and assistant trainer Joey Haynes. The form of this one for its previous five runs:

12th/13 @ 80/1
    12th/12 @ 66/1
    13th/13 @ 40/1
    11th/12 @ 28/1
    13th/16 @ 16/1

So the animal had managed to beat one horse in it last five outings. Axel Jacklin was put in short last night @ 6/1but the gamble didn't really take off 'til the final hour before the race and its price plummeted to 13/8. Haynes was always in the front rank and quickened clear on the horse 2f out but it got beat in the final strides (losing by a head to a 16/1 shot) having traded at 1.04 (1/25) in running.

Connections will, as they always do, when money is down for a horse that has shown nothing, that it goes will fresh (break of 107 days). This is, however, the modus operandi of this stable and the man behind it is no doubt the trainer's father, Gary, a haulier. This is a man who was once indefinitely banned in 2011 from racing for laying Sabre Light and also for threatening BHA investigators with violence when they came to visit him. His ban was rescinded in 2015.

This lot have tried and been successful in landing touches such as this on a number of occasions. For your average punter it becomes a guessing game. But there is one thing that really doesn't sit right with me over this. And that is the number of times Axel Jacklin was hit - nine times in the final furlong - two more than permitted, above the shoulder too and it could also be argued that Haynes did not give the horse enough time between strikes. Haynes wanted to win this race for obvious reasons more than the rest of the jockeys and was prepared to step over the line.

I've just checked the BHA website and Haynes has received a two day ban. That is a complete and utter joke. This is someone who will go a couple of times a week to ride a few horses each time. It means nothing to him. The point is he broke the rules and had the horse managed to last home, connections would have been rewarded despite breaking the rules of racing - and you cannot separate Haynes from them. So, how about this - every time a jockey is guilty of excessive force, he is banned for 60 days as is the horse and there is an automatic 10lb rise in the horse's handicap mark, with a further 5lb penalty for each excessive smack. And the horse isn't allowed to return to its previous mark for a minimum of six runs.

That won't prevent every time it happens but it will make jockeys think twice.