Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sport of Kings discussion thread

Comments

• Options
     I saw a race yesterday @Addick Addict where a 200/1 shot just got beat (result was changed from 2nd to 3rd for some reason). Prior to that race, it was massively gambled on prior to the off from 14/1 into 5/2 within 5 mins and come stone last. Is there any suspicious tactic to that?

The horses name was The Ormer Gatherer. 
  • Options
    edited January 2022
     I saw a race yesterday @Addick Addict where a 200/1 shot just got beat (result was changed from 2nd to 3rd for some reason). Prior to that race, it was massively gambled on prior to the off from 14/1 into 5/2 within 5 mins and come stone last. Is there any suspicious tactic to that?

That gamble was the horse's first run and in its five previous races prior to yesterday, the horse had beaten just two others in total. I just think that the trainer, David Evans, probably told the owners prior to its debut that it was a flying machine but then very quickly they realised that they actually had a 45 rated "fun horse". That said, yesterday's improvement in form coincided with the step up in trip so he will probably prove to be better than that.

Two things are for certain - it wouldn't have gone off at 200/1 yesterday had connections known it might have run a race and they won't get anything like that price next time!

Edit - just to demonstrate how wrong the stable got The Ormer Gatherer wrong re its ability - the marks of the six horses in front of him that day are now 83-74-73-65-62-45. The other horse rated 45 now went off 150/1 that day as opposed to TOG's 5/2 !!!
  • Options

That gamble was the horse's first run and in its five previous races prior to yesterday, the horse had beaten just two others in total. I just think that the trainer, David Evans, probably told the owners prior to its debut that it was a flying machine but then very quickly they realised that they actually had a 45 rated "fun horse". That said, yesterday's improvement in form coincided with the step up in trip so he will probably prove to be better than that.

Two things are for certain - it wouldn't have gone off at 200/1 yesterday had connections known it might have run a race and they won't get anything like that price next time!

Edit - just to demonstrate how wrong the stable got The Ormer Gatherer wrong re its ability - the marks of the six horses in front of him that day are now 83-74-73-65-62-45. The other horse rated 45 now went off 150/1 that day as opposed to TOG's 5/2 !!!
    Ah that makes sense. I hadnt realised that the gamble was on its first run, as I only saw a previous gamble mentioned from twitter comments.
  • Options
    A couple of gambles today, one successful and one foiled late on:

Wolv 12.20 - Almufeed trained by Sean Curran ridden by Grace McEntee, daughter of trainer Phil, previous lifetime form (most recent first):

6th/14 @ 12/1
    7th/9 @ 22/1
    8th/14 @ 300/1
    7th/12 @ 200/1
    10th/14 @ 200/1
    6th/8 @ 100/30

That first race was a bumper so clearly connections knew that the horse had an engine but opted to start the horse's flat career in a Class 4 race won by Baeed, trained by Willie Haggas, who has a lifetime record of 6 from 6 wins including the QE2 at Ascot last time out!

Almufeed was 16/1 last night, went off at 5/2, made all and won doing handstands. The stable will probably say that their charge is "progressive" and deny all knowledge of the gamble.

The second gamble came in the next race at Wolverhampton (12.50) in the shape of Axel Jacklin - trained by Chelsea Banham and ridden by her boyfriend and assistant trainer Joey Haynes. The form of this one for its previous five runs:

12th/13 @ 80/1
    12th/12 @ 66/1
    13th/13 @ 40/1
    11th/12 @ 28/1
    13th/16 @ 16/1

So the animal had managed to beat one horse in it last five outings. Axel Jacklin was put in short last night @ 6/1but the gamble didn't really take off 'til the final hour before the race and its price plummeted to 13/8. Haynes was always in the front rank and quickened clear on the horse 2f out but it got beat in the final strides (losing by a head to a 16/1 shot) having traded at 1.04 (1/25) in running.

Connections will, as they always do, when money is down for a horse that has shown nothing, that it goes will fresh (break of 107 days). This is, however, the modus operandi of this stable and the man behind it is no doubt the trainer's father, Gary, a haulier. This is a man who was once indefinitely banned in 2011 from racing for laying Sabre Light and also for threatening BHA investigators with violence when they came to visit him. His ban was rescinded in 2015.

This lot have tried and been successful in landing touches such as this on a number of occasions. For your average punter it becomes a guessing game. But there is one thing that really doesn't sit right with me over this. And that is the number of times Axel Jacklin was hit - nine times in the final furlong - two more than permitted, above the shoulder too and it could also be argued that Haynes did not give the horse enough time between strikes. Haynes wanted to win this race for obvious reasons more than the rest of the jockeys and was prepared to step over the line.

I've just checked the BHA website and Haynes has received a two day ban. That is a complete and utter joke. This is someone who will go a couple of times a week to ride a few horses each time. It means nothing to him. The point is he broke the rules and had the horse managed to last home, connections would have been rewarded despite breaking the rules of racing - and you cannot separate Haynes from them. So, how about this - every time a jockey is guilty of excessive force, he is banned for 60 days as is the horse and there is an automatic 10lb rise in the horse's handicap mark, with a further 5lb penalty for each excessive smack. And the horse isn't allowed to return to its previous mark for a minimum of six runs.

That won't prevent every time it happens but it will make jockeys think twice.

I would go further. It isn't difficult to count how many times the whip is used and if there is immediate evidence of a rule violation then a SE should be called. The subsequent punishments you list, fine - but the horse should also lose the race through disqualification.
  • Options
    Same owners of Almufeed (Power Geneva Ltd) just had Martineo go in as well under Grace McEntee. Gambled on before the off into 10/3.
  • Options
    The plot thickens - Martineo (previously beaten just 6 horses in its 6 previous runs), owned by the same connections as the winner of the first race and also ridden by Grace McEntee but trained by John Butler (Barney Curley's former assistant) has just been backed from an overnight 12/1 in to 100/30. And won.

It is possible that all three gambles are connected. And if I didn't know that Curley left this mortal coil last year I would suspect that he was behind all three of them!!!
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    A couple of gambles today, one successful and one foiled late on:

Wolv 12.20 - Almufeed trained by Sean Curran ridden by Grace McEntee, daughter of trainer Phil, previous lifetime form (most recent first):

6th/14 @ 12/1
    7th/9 @ 22/1
    8th/14 @ 300/1
    7th/12 @ 200/1
    10th/14 @ 200/1
    6th/8 @ 100/30

That first race was a bumper so clearly connections knew that the horse had an engine but opted to start the horse's flat career in a Class 4 race won by Baeed, trained by Willie Haggas, who has a lifetime record of 6 from 6 wins including the QE2 at Ascot last time out!

Almufeed was 16/1 last night, went off at 5/2, made all and won doing handstands. The stable will probably say that their charge is "progressive" and deny all knowledge of the gamble.

The second gamble came in the next race at Wolverhampton (12.50) in the shape of Axel Jacklin - trained by Chelsea Banham and ridden by her boyfriend and assistant trainer Joey Haynes. The form of this one for its previous five runs:

12th/13 @ 80/1
    12th/12 @ 66/1
    13th/13 @ 40/1
    11th/12 @ 28/1
    13th/16 @ 16/1

So the animal had managed to beat one horse in it last five outings. Axel Jacklin was put in short last night @ 6/1but the gamble didn't really take off 'til the final hour before the race and its price plummeted to 13/8. Haynes was always in the front rank and quickened clear on the horse 2f out but it got beat in the final strides (losing by a head to a 16/1 shot) having traded at 1.04 (1/25) in running.

Connections will, as they always do, when money is down for a horse that has shown nothing, that it goes will fresh (break of 107 days). This is, however, the modus operandi of this stable and the man behind it is no doubt the trainer's father, Gary, a haulier. This is a man who was once indefinitely banned in 2011 from racing for laying Sabre Light and also for threatening BHA investigators with violence when they came to visit him. His ban was rescinded in 2015.

This lot have tried and been successful in landing touches such as this on a number of occasions. For your average punter it becomes a guessing game. But there is one thing that really doesn't sit right with me over this. And that is the number of times Axel Jacklin was hit - nine times in the final furlong - two more than permitted, above the shoulder too and it could also be argued that Haynes did not give the horse enough time between strikes. Haynes wanted to win this race for obvious reasons more than the rest of the jockeys and was prepared to step over the line.

I've just checked the BHA website and Haynes has received a two day ban. That is a complete and utter joke. This is someone who will go a couple of times a week to ride a few horses each time. It means nothing to him. The point is he broke the rules and had the horse managed to last home, connections would have been rewarded despite breaking the rules of racing - and you cannot separate Haynes from them. So, how about this - every time a jockey is guilty of excessive force, he is banned for 60 days as is the horse and there is an automatic 10lb rise in the horse's handicap mark, with a further 5lb penalty for each excessive smack. And the horse isn't allowed to return to its previous mark for a minimum of six runs.

That won't prevent every time it happens but it will make jockeys think twice.

I would go further. It isn't difficult to count how many times the whip is used and if there is immediate evidence of a rule violation then a SE should be called. The subsequent punishments you list, fine - but the horse should also lose the race through disqualification.
    Absolutely right @bobmunro
    What kind of sport is it where a cheat is permitted to keep the win?
    To be fair to the late Big Mac, he was always strongly of that opinion.
  • Options
    Power Geneva is Lee Power who played for us on loan and then became the owner of Swindon Town FC He likes to get his horses to land a gamble if you get my drift 
  • Options
    *cough* Allegorie De Vassy for the Mares Novice Hurdle *cough*

Best you'll now get is 7/1 but it comes with a very high level of confidence. Back before she runs again at the end of the month.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Best you'll now get is 7/1 but it comes with a very high level of confidence. Back before she runs again at the end of the month.
    interesting .. no goer in France .. Mullins has her for 8 months then she wins a small Irish race on New Years Day at big odds on .. I am in for £1 lol .. (thanks Bob, mind that cough)

Runner Jacket
    51013 t179128
    Chased leaders, close up on outer before 4 out, joined leaders going okay home turn, led going easily 2 out, eased clear before last, easily (op 8/11)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have just read that Oisin Murphy has temporarily relinquished his riding licence to concentrate on sorting out his various problems ranging from alcohol abuse to breaching covid restrictions. This has been kept quiet, or have I just not read about it before ? . Imagine the noise if this had been a star footballer
  • Options
    He announced that a few weeks ago,
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Music to my ears Bob. Heard a similar whisper and took the 25's on offer New Years Day morning 
  • Options
    Snowfall put down after suffering a broken hip in her stable. Terrible news.
  • Options
    Don't know if anyone caught the race yesterday at Plumpton won by the Gary Moore trained Mark Of Gold. His daughter, Hayley, was on course as the link reporter but broke down in tears as she spoke about the winner.

The reason she did so was because it is part owned by Stevie Fisher who is a friend and former point to point rider and who was also a farrier until he suffered a catastrophic stoke in 2014 which has caused him to suffer from "locked in" syndrome. His only means of communication is by blinking - a computer has been linked up to him and this has enabled him to "type" communications - he prepared a winning statement just in case the horse did win yesterday and has almost finished a biography of his life.

Full story here but great to see someone making the most of such a horrendous situation and his friends rallying round him and to read again about the wonderful work that the Injured Jockeys Fund do

https://www.racingpost.com/news/race-reports/inspirational-owner-with-locked-in-syndrome-strikes-with-mark-of-gold/532879  
  • Options
    Thanks for that @Addick Addict
  • Options
    another case of trainers/owners being scared off a big prize race by top ranked runners ..  tomorrow 3.35 Ascot ..  fair play to Willie Mullins who runs Energumene (owned by Brighton owner Tony Bloom) against supposed super horse Shishkin .. only 4 runners for this £85 Grand+ winners prize .. I have backed Energumene in one of the big Cheltenham races but not tomorrow at a skinny 13/8ish .. the rank outsider outsider of the 4 in the race will pick up near £8K if it finishes
  • Options
    Off to Taunton today with killer kish  who part owns Konigin Isabella in the bumper. 
  • Options
    Off to Taunton today with killer kish  who part owns Konigin Isabella in the bumper. 

Have a great day - good luck KK.
  • Options
    Must fancy it to travel all that way 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have a great day @alan dugdale
    good luck @killer kish
  • Options
    Have a great day @alan dugdale
    good luck @killer kish
    Is she a good thing chaps?
  • Options
    Great race that.
  • Options
    what a fucking great race - wow. 
  • Options
    NH racing the winner there 
  • Options
    Shishkin so good 
  • Options
    Truly magnificent - one very, very good horse and the other an absolute superstar.

That is what makes horse racing such a wonderful sport.
  • Options
    That was some race, let's hope we get another race as good at Cheltenham.
  • Options
    Shishkin will love that run in up the hill