Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The valley pitch!!!

Comments

• Options
    Rothko said:

magic1999 said:

Such a shame the undersoil heating won't be used until we are in the Prem, to expensive to run in the Championship, wish most outside companies would do that though like put the Water, Gas and Fibre optics and Lekki in at the same time just in case you might use it in the future so you don't have to dig the pitch up again !

It can be used before, temporary boiler is linked up, and away you go. Give our friends at Andrews a call, and they'll supply the kit

I was wondering whether it might be cheaper to use a temporary boiler. When you need it like. If you install one you have to service it and replace it when it gets too old! A bit geeky but I would be interested to know the relative costs.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    So 6 days and not a thing has been done to the pitch?

F***ing P***taker Rob de Heer coming over here taking our undersoil heating pipe and pitch laying b**tard.

;oD
  • Options
    is it usual to put down seed rather than turf ?? waiting for the seed to grow is obviously going to take longer & I thought it would have been better just to turf it like most other times ??
  • Options
    I think there is a plastic mesh in the surface, so seed would be needed so the grass can grow through the mesh and bind with it
  • Options
    magic1999 said:

Rothko Im sure it could be used before but recon they won't

I asked Paddy Powell and he said it would be used if required.
  • Options

magic1999 said:

Rothko Im sure it could be used before but recon they won't

I asked Paddy Powell and he said it would be used if required.
    Was that before after he said "f@@k em, hope it bursts and floods the place out"?
  • Options

is it usual to put down seed rather than turf ?? waiting for the seed to grow is obviously going to take longer & I thought it would have been better just to turf it like most other times ??

I think I recall Paddy saying that turf gets you a pitch quicker but seed gives you a better pitch.
  • Options
    Seed is always better. Turf is a quick fix.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seed will definitely give you a better pitch. There is time as seed takes between 7 and 14 days to germinate - depending on the quality of seed. The hard wearing type is the quickest (Rye grass). I think we would be putting something slightly better down.

It will then take 4 weeks or so before the first mow. It will still be fragile until the roots establish. After 4 to 12 months it will be ready to play football on and by then we may even have some players.

I suspect we are going for the part plastic pitch means that the roots are protected so the grass attaches to the plastic fibres and you can play much quicker. The plastic fibers are injected about 20cm into the ground and cover about 3% of the pitch and are said to give better wear and recovery + a more comfotable playing surface. With this system you can be playing on it after as little as 3 months.

The good news is that for those who choose to afford it- it can be grown off site and will be ready in days.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

...After 4 to 12 months it will be ready to play football on and by then we may even have some players....

Hmmmm - Another abandoned August fixture then?
  • Options
    We'll be playing on it before 3 months, ie mid September.
    It's only the 1st league game, that we have requested to play away from home.

• Options

Is that a fact?? Must have missed that if so.
  • Options
    Paddy Powell said it at the Bromley meeting, a few weeks ago, before he was made redundant.
  • Options

We certainly will - we will have had it grown off site.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

growing it off-site is surely the same as just laying turf ?
  • Options
    It's being seeded.
  • Options
    Looks like Diego's new home ground.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

Redrobo said:

growing it off-site is surely the same as just laying turf ?
    Yup, just a bit more sophisticated than the stuff from your local supplier. Sounds a bit posher too. Unless you are building a new ground it is the only way to do it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    but we are neither growing it off site or laying turf - we are actually putting down grass seed........
  • Options
    So Wembley was turf, and it was a horror show, they went for seed based pitch, and bingo, (plus desso) they've got a pitch which is worthy of the stadium.

You only lay turf in an emergency, seeded pitches always work a lot better.
  • Options
    How come you lot know so much about grass?
  • Options
    Rothko said:

So Wembley was turf, and it was a horror show, they went for seed based pitch, and bingo, (plus desso) they've got a pitch which is worthy of the stadium.

You only lay turf in an emergency, seeded pitches always work a lot better.

So the first home game in Oct then.
  • Options
    I recall paddy seeding previous year's pitches about this time so can't imagine there is an issue.
  • Options
    The Millennium Stadium uses (used?) turf on pallets which were moved out when there was a non-sporting event.

• Options

The sprinklers are out