Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match views Charlton v Barnsley

Comments

• Options
    Barnsley were very poor, worst team I've seen us play this season. We may have had more possession but did anyone on here actually think we were going to score? Utterly toothless.

I thought it had 0-0 written all over it to start, but as soon as they scored the first that was that. I don't know how, but we seemed to have accumulated an entire squad of players who can't shoot. They either lack the confidence and turn away from goal, or they slice it high and wide.

We dominated the start of the second half but to no avail, whatever combination of strikers we use the result is always the same. A better team would have killed us on the break, but Barnsley's midfield seemed to lack any real pace or creativity.

We are in real trouble now ladies and gents.
  • Options

We played better tonight than we did against Yeovil

Nonsense
  • Options
    Agree the ref was not great but that in no way excuses an inept performance with no cutting edge and almost fear when near goal. The first touches of many of the side are just lacking, the manager increasingly appears out of his depth and confidence is, understandably, rock bottom. The league table does not lie and if we we play half as badly as that in remaining games we have no hope of staying up.

That was as bad as I have seen since we came back to The Valley. And Harriott was as bad a performance by a single player.
  • Options
    One other thing,their number 8,dawson i think?? What a horrible player he is,along the lines of michael brown,didnt stop moaning at the ref, complaining at every descision and constantly niggling. Even had a cry at the ref while walking off at ht. Twat.
  • Options
    Two very poor teams out there tonight. I think we all knew Barnsley would win tonight it's not Charlton if we made it easy for ourselves.

First half it was all us then Harriot missed the chance and we all knew then they'd score from their only chance. Harriot was poor but before the game everyone knows he IS A LEFT WINGER so why do we insist on playing him on the right.

Didn't agree with Morro and Wilson on the bench. Astrit and Reza also need as much time on the pitch as possible as they do something the rest of the side are scared of and that's shooting.

Onto Bolton now which I think we'll win for some reason. 2 wins will be enough IMO all the teams in this scrap are as crap as each other
  • Options

Also just seen Riga has said this post match (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25817450) :

'"We have young players so maybe it's the pressure of the situation. But we still have destiny in our hands. They needed to win, we did not."

What?!?!? Of course we needed to win Jose, we're one point above the drop and not safe at all!!!

Another learning for the mathematician. Growing your own young players is the right long term strategy. But there's a time and place to rely on them in the first team. Near the top of the Belgian league, in a team that is already very good, may be one. In a team that is struggling at the foot of the Championship, is not.

I don't think CP should have been sacked, but neither am I going to get on Riga's case now. He's there because he carries out the RD "vision". It is the vision of a man who is playing with things he does not understand.
    I'm glad I didn't give up on the team and club tonight because when we pulled that goal back we just needed one more in extra time to make it curtains for Barnsley! That's right a draw would've been enough...
    I am happy to rely on Poyet and Cousins in midfield - they're young but they're good enough. No point relying on players who don't want to be here (Stephens) nor relying on strikers who left months ago after refusing to play when fit in case they triggered an extension clause which kept them playing for our club. Sure it's fashionable to attack the owner of the club but isn't it a tad opportunistic.

Right now we need 100% support which the fans gave tonight not blame nor witch-hunting nor conspiracy theories

Tell me one thing PragueAddick, if Duchatelet knows nothing about running football clubs why are Liege top of their League and why are we out of the bottom three with a game in hand? Oh yeah that's right he got lucky or he just threw money at the problem lol.

Still all to play for and home wins vs Bolton and Watford see us clear. We have the talent and just need Riga to re-shape the team ready for Friday with Ajdarevic, Poyet Jackson, Cousins and Wilson in midfield. Wiggins out but Solly back so we still have a decent back five with Hamer, Solly, and a choice of several centre backs...who plays left back? Dunno!

Not complaining or blaming because that's completely pointless - just get behind the lads Friday. Keep the faith because we are going to pull through.
  • Options
    It's just got a lot tougher to stay in this league. 5 minutes extra at the end? 5 hours wouldn't have been enough. It just wasn't our night - we dominated but we didn't score - you are always going to be in trouble when that happens because the opposition can catch you on the break or fluke a cross into the back of the net.

One thing I noticed was they were quick on the break and we never were.
  • Options
    Difficult to know what to say after that. Its hard to supress the demons. We had the better of it, but that's no consolation obviously. Once we went behind, against the run of play, I feared the worst. We just don't look like scoring.

I'm probably in a minority, but I thought Sordell showed flashes of quality this evening. He lacks genuine desire though. I wonder what's going on inside his head? Obika has the desire, but sadly not the ability. Ghoochannejhad is infuriating. Why can't he just play the simple ball? His decision making is very disappointing at times. Remove the "at times" bit and that's Callum Harriott in a nutshell. Why have we have we had so many headless chickens in recent seasons? Why do our players so often (or is at almost always?) choose the wrong option when well placed?

Talking of options, was the team selected using a random number generator? I've been impressed with Riga so far, but his team and set up this evening will long remain one of life's mysteries. I just didn't get it. Why our most creative player stayed on the bench for the best part of 80 minutes is just one of the puzzles I'm still working on.

I don't typically criticise referees, but I thought Iain Williamson made some odd decisions this evening. At one point during the first half Dervitte clattered O'Grady from behind. It was a clear foul, but the referee waved play on having had a perfect view. I thought Cousins was fouled at the death, but again he simply waved his arms. Then I thought O'Grady backed into Wiggins, knocked him over and, it seems, put him out for the season. No intent from the powerful O'Grady, but I didn't think you could do that within the rules.

Still, all is far from lost. We are still out of the bottom three, still have a game in hand on those around us (except for Birmingham) and, on balance, have less difficult fixtures. We missed a real chance to get close to home tonight, but we go again on Friday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2 shots on target, 1st on 76 minutes.
    It might still be in our hands but I'm at a loss to see where the next point is coming from.
    To say we played well and Barnsley were lucky is so wrong. Barnsley despite being a poor side did what most away teams do.
  • Options

Here's one thing we can agree on:

The bloke who shouted out 'come you reds' or something in that vain during the minute's silence was a disgrace.

Agreed
  • Options
    We are shit and even our good players Poyet and Cousins haven't got the ability to shoot

We are as good as down, toothless

25% Championship delight on offer at SE7 75% We're down

on the upside when we lose it's empty in the club shop and i bought my 8 year old some Charlton pyjamas that he was pleased to go to bed in ,
    poor little fucker following that pile of shit for a team and tonight he clocked that the 6 games he's been to since the turn of the year has seen Charlton lose all 6
  • Options

Bitterly depressing night and that complete wet arse of a ref did not improve my mood.

We were much better than Barnsley for 80% of that match and with Fuller, Haynes or YK would have won easily.

Worse performance tonight was from the manager/coach.

For me the only striker who even looks vaguely like scoring is Reza who is brought on (again) as a midfielder in the second half. Harriot was rubbish as a right winger against Reading (I think) so we repeated the exercise tonight and he was rubbish again. Thought the stick he received in the North Lower was disgusting though. Our best creative player is AA who is not selected and our only strong point in the back four so we change it for tonight.

Jordan Cousins was immense.Well done son.

Obika and Sordell just look awful. Why not at least hit the ball hard towards the target? Who knows what might happen. I can only assume it is lack of confidence.

Now I have that awful Les Reed feeling.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

It's just got a lot tougher to stay in this league. 5 minutes extra at the end? 5 hours wouldn't have been enough. It just wasn't our night - we dominated but we didn't score - you are always going to be in trouble when that happens because the opposition can catch you on the break or fluke a cross into the back of the net.

One thing I noticed was they were quick on the break and we never were.

Er we did score in extra time. If that flukey second goal hasn't gone in, we'd have come out with a 1-1 all draw and massively dented Barnsley's chances of staying up.

As people have said, the table doesn't lie, and it shows we're 4th from bottom. with Barnsley 2nd from bottom. Yeovil I think are down now, but everyone else has a chance of staying up, it'll come down to a horrendous mistake or piece of magic somewhere/
  • Options
    woo hoo Jose Riga's brilliant football!

woo hoo RD sacking Powell, selling Yann and Stephens and replacing them with Petrucci, Reza, AA, Obika and Riga

we've got such a great chance of staying up with our brilliant total football playing team that changes formation loads
  • Options
    Until watching/ enduring that display, I was confident we would stay up. Now realise games in hand are misleading and looking at the fixtures hard to see where many points will come from as we simply have not any goalscorers.

Not sure how people can take positives. They stats show we had more possession and 18 shots but only three were on target and once they scored does anyone think we ever looked like getting back into it?

Carl Leaburn would shine in this side. And Ian Dowie might (might ...) make a better job of things that the clown In charge.
  • Options
    Barnsley were lucky as scoring 2 goals from one chance (a corner) requires good fortune. I think the point is, and you are right - you also need help from the other team as well as the luck, and we were responsible for the defeat so luck was not solely to blame!

I am not at a loss as I think we havea chance of winning or losing all of our remaining games so we might win a couple - but we will need a bit of luck. We shouldn't need it to the extent we do, but if we stay up, that needs addressing.
  • Options
    I just wonder whether the balance has shifted in terms of post CP morale/selection/tactics from Dyer/Matthews to Riga and his assistant?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    We are 1 point worse off from a positional sense than when he took over pa with a game I hand

Tonight tou have to understand was not a woeful inept performance by the whole team

Infact quite the opposite it was woeful play by two or three players all of which were powelly players

Hamer
    Wood
    Harriott

Wood missed a sitter then let the Barnsley player have a free head on goal

Harriott missed the easiest chance in the world ever

And couldn't run tackle pass or do anything other than skip across the pitch like a camp 5 yr old

And hamer has reverted back to form of being the most inconsistnat goalie I can recal us having

Mark my words of the other guy had done what he done tonight then god help this sites server

RD ain't responsible for not bowing to blackmail from a player who yes was very very good for us but was also in the squad that was 3 points above relegation in jan was the lowest scorers in the league In jan

The Mgr Chris Powell was also very responsible for that plight and for the situation we find ourselves in

Tonight wasn't a team of shit signings by RD

Yet again

Reza AA looked better than OBika and sordell one who powelly so desperately coverted and the other powelly main signing

Riga fukd up tonight first time IMO since he got here

Wrong starting line up bad sub I the solly one and the reza one

Your case may rest but is full of holes I don't think that mr nell need worry to much

All without saddling us with more debt regardless of wether the man can afford it or not
  • Options
    Hang on in there Fanny. Agree re Cousins and Poyet. Harriott, I dunno, is it coaching, has he let himself go, there was a decent player there a year ago.
  • Options
    I think Riga looked at a match on Friday and Monday having had a tough one last Saturday and realised Morro and Wilson needed a break. Tonight we were better than Barnsley in most departments - except our strikers and Harriot were not good enough - had they been just a little better that would have been 3 points. The time to jusdge the manager will be on Monday night when we see where we are!
  • Options
    I don't understand the persistence with trying to fashion a goal scoring chance through filtering the ball out wide and then using an overlapping full back to launch a high ball into the box from the edge of the area. Who do they think will head the ball in? None of Obika, Reza, Sordell, Church look like that type of striker.
  • Options
    Before commenting on the game .... It's easy to blame RD for selling Yann and sacking CP but we will never know if we would be better off now if they had stayed or maybe worse off. We were hardly pulling up trees before that we were? Not as if we were top ten, scoring bundles and suddenly Yann goes and we plummet down the league. It's lack of investment in the squad last summer that has done for us and that is down to TJ and Slater. They are far more to blame. Add to that Powell's inability to be able to play Poyet under the old regime and they are even more culpable. At least under RD we have got to see such a rare talent in action.

Onto the game. I'm not going to say we did anywhere near enough to win but we certainly did not deserve to lose. A bad first goal and a freak second did for us but we dominated the game and had Wood or Harriott showed more composure we'd be talking of a great win. I was happy with our first half performance and thought if we did the same second half we'd get something out of the game. Second half though we lost shape through the subs and because our play became more desperate. The front two though were woeful throughout. Cousins had a good game tonight and Poyet was his usual self. Good to see Solly back although he was dead on his feet and subbed quite rightly. Harriott was very poor and I think only appeared for the second half as Jose didn't want to show he was being influenced by the crowd taking him off at half time,

Said before the game I'd be happy with a point but wasn't to be. Still in our hands and on to Friday. Crowd was great tonight, never got on the teams back and cheered them off at half time and tried to encourage them. Need to stick together at the moment. COYR.
  • Options
    Think that some people on here need to grow a pair, and stop being such doom and gloom merchants giving up when the going gets tough.

Did anybody seriously think that we were going to do this the easy way? There is a long way to go yet, and there will be plenty of results that surprise and disappoint us until we know our fate.

Sounds like Barnsley did to us, what we have done recently to Leeds and Forest - it happens.

Get your heads up and think positive, looking at the table you would still rather be in our position than anyone else below us.

COYR!
  • Options
    Interesting incident near the end of the first half. After Harriet ballsed up again Dyer was shouting something at him and Solly shouted to Dyer, clearly frustrated, "How many times has he got to be told"?

Never felt that we looked like scoring. After 5 months away I've now seen the last 3 home games and Brighton away and yes there is more passing but we don't have the quality of attacking player to actually do anything meaningful on a regular enough basis with that passing. The players worked hard, battled well, that wasn't a problem (but then it never was). There was more movement off the ball and players seemed mostly eager to find space nearly always in areas that weren't dangerous. One of those games that could have gone either way, both poor teams and if roles had been reversed we'd be saying it was a great victory.

From having a big gap between seeing games live and with big changes having happened it looks to me that we are passing the ball more but don't look any more likely to score. We clearly have a weakened forward line since I left and the players brought in look to be technically fine but I'm not sure they are what's needed in our situation. The youngsters are decent and if we keep them then we will be the stronger for it in the long run. But in this league, in our situation, there are too many youngsters and too much league inexperience which is a luxury we can't afford and is making things difficult.

We can still get out of it but tonight has been a big blow and now our defence is letting goals in regularly it's even harder. If it wasn't for Yeovil having an abysmal defence and their goalkeepers' error we would be in worse problems. I'd heard how Riga is a tactical genius and we were playing better football but if Powell had picked that starting team tonight and let Harriott come out for the second half then certain people on here would be crucifying him, yet are strangely quiet about it so far. Maybe tonight wasn't one of the 'targeted' games that we have the luxury to concentrate on?

Now Bolton have sorted themselves out and are on a good run it's difficult to see us getting any more points for while. Here's hoping for the team to pick themselves up and for a lot of luck on Friday.

Oh and the ref was pants. Desperately eager to give Barnsley a free kick every time they threw themselves to the floor yet strangely reticent the other way round. But had no real influence on what transpired.