Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dale Stephens

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Dale Stephens made a poor decision to drive home after drinking and why was he heading in the wrong direction ?  I took my Dale Stephens satnav back and replaced with Stephen Kelly (Irish Accent) and good getting on the motorways even if it's not so good at getting off.
  • Options
    Not a massive surprise given that story about a lifer bumping into him in Venue who said he was a complete dick.
  • Options
    Has retired at 33 after being unable to find a club following his release from Burnley.
  • Options
    Odd why he couldn't get another club. Plenty of teams in the northwest if he didn't want to move
  • Options
    Copied from other thread: 

Last two seasons been on Premier League money but not really playing. 

Imagine he sees himself as a Championship player and is used to the Premier League wage. Got enough money to happily retire than slum it in League One for a few years and move around the country again. 

Probably settled in the area near Manchester too so really it's only the likes of Accrington Stanley or Bolton that he'd be looking at. 
  • Options

Imagine he sees himself as a Championship player and is used to the Premier League wage. Got enough money to happily retire than slum it in League One for a few years and move around the country again. 

Probably settled in the area near Manchester too so really it's only the likes of Accrington Stanley or Bolton that he'd be looking at. 
    Accrington Stanley, Bolton, Wigan, Blackpool, Salford, Barnsley, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Blackburn, Preston, Tranmere, Huddersfield, Bradford, Stoke, Stockport, Port Vale, Burton all within an hour from Manchester
    The Championship clubs wouldn't want him and it seems Stephens doesn't want to play for anyone lower, otherwise he would have done. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Accrington Stanley, Bolton, Wigan, Blackpool, Salford, Barnsley, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Blackburn, Preston, Tranmere, Huddersfield, Bradford, Stoke, Stockport, Port Vale, Burton all within an hour from Manchester
    The Championship clubs wouldn't want him and it seems Stephens doesn't want to play for anyone lower, otherwise he would have done. 
    Hunger is clearly the issue, unless he's got some major injury issue. He was very good at Brighton, but not the same when he went to Burnley. If he still had the drive, I'd be amazed if a lower Championship team like Blackpool or Wigan didn't fancy him.
  • Options
    Can he come here and coach?
  • Options
    It’s strange that I never really rated him that much….obviously there’s plenty that did and he went on to play for many seasons at a much higher level than with us.
    Just one of those players that for some reason didn’t rock my boat, I found his style somewhat uninspiring and rather drab.

• Options
    I maybe wrong, but I think I read sometime ago that he had some  off- field issues.
  • Options
    It’s strange that I never really rated him that much….obviously there’s plenty that did and he went on to play for many seasons at a much higher level than with us.
    Just one of those players that for some reason didn’t rock my boat, I found his style somewhat uninspiring and rather drab.

I don’t think we ever saw the best of him. He added more consistency and aggression to his game in his last 6 months here, and then benefited from joining a well run club and fitting their style.

Hollands was the more reliable of the two in the title winning season, but Stephens had more ability and being younger had time on his side.
  • Options
    Arrogant dick totally blanked a bunch of Addicks at a "meet the players" thing after Chris Powell's league winning season
    Played like he was halfway to retirement for most of that next season in the Championship too
    Undeniably talented but very much MIA when things get gritty and physical
  • Options
    Pass back Stephens, very much a marmite player.
    Used to drive me mad.
    This doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.
  • Options
    Diego poyet really showed up stephens (although we all know what then happened there), but was a decent deep playmaker type midfielder. 

I remember there being an odd moment with Chris solly in a goal celebration where he grabbed him and shoved him away. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Diego poyet really showed up stephens (although we all know what then happened there), but was a decent deep playmaker type midfielder. 

I remember there being an odd moment with Chris solly in a goal celebration where he grabbed him and shoved him away. 
    Who grabbed who and who pushed who away?
  • Options
    I watch a different game , he was a rarity of a footballer to me as in he tried the incisive pass and always looked to get on the front foot and he wouldn't mind having a strike at goal , he had a decent ping on him , something we've lacked for years .
    He may be a bell end but to me I always wanted him in the team for the positiveness he gave us pushing forward
    Good assumption thought we had a great balanced midfield with him, Danny Hollands and Danny Green in the side. Always looked for that defence splitting pass and tried to keep possession where ever he could.

If he didn't have class, premier league teams would not have signed him
  • Options
    Alongside Kermorgant he was our best 'footballer.' Technically superior, particularly with his passing. Some of his goals were pretty special too. When he played in the Premiership as a more deep lying centre midfielder his stats were comparable with the best in that position in the league. 
  • Options
    Just seen PV quoting DS's fee from Oldham as £400k!
    Two things:  if the rumoured cost to assemble that squad of around £1M total, then the rest of the recruitment was genius level bargain hunting
    I know transfer fees inflate all the time but £400k for Dale Stephens 2011 - £300k Chuks Aneke 2022 - And Skintgaard still has no idea why his CAFC squad is nowhere nearly good enough
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Arrogant dick totally blanked a bunch of Addicks at a "meet the players" thing after Chris Powell's league winning season
    Played like he was halfway to retirement for most of that next season in the Championship too
    Undeniably talented but very much MIA when things get gritty and physical

Friendly but reserved when I met him and a proud new dad. His new born was around that time so perhaps he wanted to get home. The Dale Stephens Satnav was crap but then Jayden Stockley told me last summer that he was so settled in the South he wouldn't take his wife and 3 kids up north; Fleetwood is further than Blackpool ! 

Chuks Aneke could have been the bargain buy of League 1 at 300k if he could have been available for 36 games out of 46 like he was before he left. Unfortunately his injury woes increased and his playing time has disappeared. The 5 minute cameo summed up the issues that Aneke has.

Cafc gambled and lost.
  • Options
    Was unreal in his debut v Bournemouth, but was hit and miss after that. Meh, bit overrated to be honest
  • Options
    Was unreal in his debut v Bournemouth, but was hit and miss after that. Meh, bit overrated to be honest
    Wasn’t consistent for us but three seasons as a regular starter for Brighton in Prem shows he improved and was a very good player.