Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dale Stephens

Comments

• Options

We have never really replaced Stephens, Kermogrant and to some extent Morrison since they all left.

Poyet (first time round) and Buyens both did a good job in a similar role to Dale. Indeed Dale only came good in his final season with us
    I agree they both did, and I think Buyens was actually quiet underrated by a lot of Charlton fans - however neither were the creative force in the middle of the park that Stephens was.
  • Options

We have never really replaced Stephens, Kermogrant and to some extent Morrison since they all left.

Poyet (first time round) and Buyens both did a good job in a similar role to Dale. Indeed Dale only came good in his final season with us
    I agree they both did, and I think Buyens was actually quiet underrated by a lot of Charlton fans - however neither were the creative force in the middle of the park that Stephens was.
    I liked Buyens, thought Poyet was effective but overrated by many here (now he's been found out...). As for Dale, from his very first game back in L1 he made a difference, liked him from the start
  • Options
    I bet he is pleased now...
  • Options

Dale came good because Jordan Cousins made his debut...

Those two alongside each other meant that Dale could just concentrate on creating play
    Spot on. What a core to the team we could've had with those two, Morrison and Kermorgant. But Roland knew best.
  • Options

Those two alongside each other meant that Dale could just concentrate on creating play
    Spot on. What a core to the team we could've had with those two, Morrison and Kermorgant. But Roland knew best.
    Not sure you can blame RD for the Dale Stephens departure, if a player has 6 months left on his contract and isn't going to sign another, then you either lose them for nothing or sell them in January and get a fee. That one is down to the money running out for TJ and MS
  • Options

Cant believe Rhys Williams didn't make it

Completely forgot about him. Jesus.
  • Options

Not sure you can blame RD for the Dale Stephens departure, if a player has 6 months left on his contract and isn't going to sign another, then you either lose them for nothing or sell them in January and get a fee. That one is down to the money running out for TJ and MS
    More of a general point on all of them.
  • Options

Cant believe Rhys Williams didn't make it

I would have thought all the MKD, Rotherham and Bristol City players would have voted for him, for his contribution to our relegation campaign...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:

Simon Francis is now a premier league defender, so anything is possible

Or maybe some Charlton fans just didn't recognise his talent?
  • Options
    drewman said:

wmcf123 said:

Francis always got forward well and was / is a very good crosser of the ball. My only criticism at the time was that he got caught up field a lot and then struggled to get back. Good luck to him, Bournemouth fans love him.
  • Options

Agree about Buyens. Would love to know how many assists Stephens made for us
  • Options

drewman said:

wmcf123 said:

Francis always got forward well and was / is a very good crosser of the ball. My only criticism at the time was that he got caught up field a lot and then struggled to get back. Good luck to him, Bournemouth fans love him.
    Yes but he now plays as a Centre back so his defending really can't be that bad..
  • Options
    No Charlton players in the list?
  • Options
    Dale Stephens certainly controlled the tempo of the game today and he may be one of the Brighton players who could cut it in the Premier League if they make it this season. He and Jordan Cousins were a very fine combination and the best we have had in recent years. Since he left, we have lacked a high quality creator in midfield and this has been an ongoing problem for the team over the last two and a half seasons.

There must be someone out there in the lower leagues with this sort of potential for whom Charlton would be a big step up (just as it was for Stephens when he joined from Oldham). Unfortunately, however, we have neither the scouting and recruitment system to identify such players, nor the appetite or credibility to get deals over the line.
  • Options
    To be fair he got slated by most on here. My mates included. I put this this down to them sitting in the Covered End and me in the East Stand. Different perspective etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    About £5m worth of wages as a minimum.
    I wonder if that has cured his homesickness ?
  • Options
    Glad to see he is enjoying life better since he moved back up north.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I never really rated him that much....but I guess others might have.
    All I can say is he must have improved immensely to be voted the 6th best player of the season in The Championship......good luck to him I suppose.
  • Options
    Did we get any money for Brighton getting promotion?
  • Options
    Always liked him. Very talented and could pick a pass. Was in the Millennium lounge last year when we played them as he was injured. Seemed a nice guy. All the best to him.
  • Options
    he's a good midfielder .. not as good as but from a similar mould to Michael Carrick
  • Options
    edited May 2017

To be fair he got slated by most on here. My mates included. I put this this down to them sitting in the Covered End and me in the East Stand. Different perspective etc.

I put it down to us going every week and watching him play :-)

PS He did improve immensely towards the end of his Charlton career ie the last season of 2.5 seasons and he's continued to improve since he left us.
  • Options
    Good luck to the guy, just shows what I know, I thought he is to slow although good on the ball, still he would say I'm an old soak so hope he does really well.